IMDb > Se7en (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Se7en

Se7en More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 113: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

genre film with some style

Author: Lumpenprole from United States
21 January 2002

I thought this movie was a pretty remarkable exercise in style and an incredibly controlled performance by Morgan Freeman. Most of it is kinda cliched – the retiring cop breaks-in a rookie (by-the-book vs. the loose cannon working on a hunch), the clever serial killer, the soulless city, the standard noir ending where the searcher realizes that he is what he's been searching for and so on. The art direction is wonderful, with a real attention to detail. The movie makes for riveting viewing the first time around. I find myself skipping chapters though when I try to watch it again.

To make the last act measure up to the first hour of the movie, I think the writing should have emphasized the idea that the wrath/envy set up was an example of John Doe improvising after the detectives found his apartment. The wrath/envy scene doesn't have nearly the convoluted menace of the Sloth or Gluttony scenes. It's a noir thriller and Gwen is unaccounted for - the end seemed pretty obvious to me compared to the craziness of "HELP ME" in fingerprints.

The killer had to be more present in movie

Author: stoneoliver
3 May 2017

The only reason I am giving 9 out of 10 for this masterpiece is the fact that Kevin Spacey doesn't have more screen time. I understand the concept of building the tension but it didn't have to be that way. He was so great that he deserved a spin-off (something which is very popular nowadays). Hope they make one.

Bleak, suspenseful, yet intriguing

Author: Harvey Dickens from Australia
10 December 2015

This movie is regarded as the definition of a modern thriller. It is easy to see why, as it is easily one of the most suspenseful movies I have ever seen. What added to this suspense, was the straightforward, yet grim storyline, that keeps the audience interested.

The plot revolves around two detectives, William Somerset, and David Mills, trying to solve the mystery of a serial killer. That killer, John Doe, leaves clues around for unknown reasons. Detective Somerset believes he (the killer) is following the seven deadly sins (hence the title Seven, or Se7en, and is leading them to something. What this is, is unclear, but they do eventually capture him, and he reveals that his final victim, is David's wife Tracy, thus showing he was playing a game with them all along.

There are few movies I have seen, before or since, that are suspenseful as this. It is also quite bleak, which did admittedly put me off at times. It is still a great film, definitely worth a watch, if you are old enough (remembering this movie is rated R), and whether or not you enjoy it, you will probably find it interesting. From me it gets 8/10

Need To Make More Thrillers Like These

Author: Poptart_Psycho from United Kingdom
12 November 2015

I arrived 20 years to late for the hype of this movie but that doesn't make it any different. One of my favourite thrillers. They don't make them like these anymore.. Realistic characters, an evil serial killer but not as much emphasis on gore more storyline.

David Fincher did a class job, acting from Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey was beyond outstanding.

Se7en follows detectives Somerset and Mill... Somerset is an older mature detective whos ready to retire whilst Mills is an energetic yet not as knowledgeable, we see more of Mill' private life with his wife Tracy.

The movie kicks off after the murder of an obese man... suspicious but no motive the cops are at a standstill. That is until a wealthy lawyer gets killed and in blood 'Greed' is written. Knowing there is a serial killer on the loose its down to the detectives to hunt a man with an obsession with the deadly sins killing innocent people.

The ending to this movie I like a lot, I wont give it away but it shows how sick and twisted minds of serial killers are.

Se7en will surely stick in your mind

One of best movies ever made!

Author: Davis P from United States
13 July 2015

This film got everything right! I mean every single casting choice, scene, and line was perfect! This was Brad Pitt's best role in movie, I don't recall a movie where he ever achieved better acting than here. Also, in my opinion, the same goes for Morgan freeman, him and Brad make a great on screen team. The film was a real mind bender, which I love! The dialogue was unbelievably great! The plot was so genius as well. The twist ending was one of the best twist endings I've ever seen hands down! This movie has perfect acting, characters, plot, dialogue, ending, and it definitely keeps your attention throughout, I wasn't bored once, and that's very important to me! 10/10, not a single flaw 👍🏼

Se7en is Going to Freak You Out With Its Mind-Blowing Plot and Intriguing Characters

Author: Vinicius Andrade from Brazil
12 July 2015

As I was watching Se7en, I was both shocked and fascinated, this movie surely can be used as a mirror to other suspense films to show how they should be made. The anxiety and apprehension grows along the film for having such a captivating story, even if some scenes are very disturbing to watch, you can't take your eyes off. Another big contributor to make it more hypnotic is the soundtrack, when it's needed does an incredible work to elevate even more the breathtaking feeling. The director, David Fincher, did an amazing job in crafting this movie, it's proved how talented he is and something noteworthy is in some particular scenes, how they were shot regarding the style, angles of the camera that make you feel like you're in the scene.

The cast, both leading and supporting, did a marvelous work in performing the characters. They're so consistent and believable, we really have the chance to know the identity of every single one in terms of dreams, emotions, regrets. Morgan Freeman plays an old detective, Somerset, who is fed up with his detective's life, because the city and the world as in general are too hateful, the apathy is present in people's everyday life and he can't take any longer this. He's methodic, pragmatic and due to his long career in the police, he's very meticulous in a crime scene. Detective Mills is played by Brad Pitt, different from Morgan Freeman's character is a young detective with a lot of stamina, enthusiasm but he's reckless and very emotional too. The contrast between the characters is pretty perceptible and is very well explored to show a man already marked by a tough and cruel world, Somerset, and other still untouched and a bit naive about the cruelty of the society.

The murder scenes are so realistic and disgusting, they really make you feel uncomfortable and revulsion witnessing them and passing how sick the serial killer is. The murderer, John Doe, is played by Kevin Spacey. The tension drastically grows when he's speaking, his performance succeeds in portraying a person mentally disordered, a psychopath. No Doubt, John Doe after such a remarkable acting gained a sit among the most famous psychopaths of the cinema.

Great Twisted Movie

Author: kechhh from United States
24 March 2013

There was tension throughout the entire movie and in significant doses and the mood was set just right. Great acting, too. The juxtaposition of personalities and life philosophies between Freeman and Pitt were great with Freeman showing a jaded, wise, and cynical character and Pitt showing a more rash dreamer.

Most significantly, I feel the tone and underlying themes were incredible. An insane killer turns out to be incredibly smart and manipulative and ironically the most rational one (in his twisted way) in the end, while Pitt allows himself to be manipulated into becoming Wrath.

I feel Spacey was great and logical in his twisted way. I feel he pretty much had the cunning and wit of Joker (Dark Knight) and the twisted modus operandi and philosophy of the killers in the Saw series.

At first, I felt the pacing in the beginning and sudden thrust into the action was too fast, but by the end, I felt that this was a good move, as it helped keep a swift and ugly pace and tension.

The ending was also ingenious. Clever on the part of the writer, I feel it wraps up nicely.

Finally, I will definitely remember the last lines of the movie: Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Terrific thriller!!!

Author: deatman9 from Canada
14 October 2012

This movie was just awesome.A thriller that really leaves you on the edge of your seat the whole time your watching. It starts morgan freeman who always does a superb job, accompanied by brad pitt who always did an outstanding job. And to top it all off it was directed by David Fincher who has made some great movies.

This movie is about two detectives (Freeman,Pitt) who are sent to invesitage a weird string of murders. There is a murderer killing people using the seven deadly sins as justification.

Overall this movie was really good. Great actors, great story line and a lot of twists and turns to keep you interested. I really liked it.

One of the best Serial Killer films ever made

Author: you'llneverbe from United Kingdom
25 February 2009

"Se7en" (1995) Dir: David Fincher

There's no cinematic theme I can think of that has run the gamut from Trash to High Art (via Blockbuster) quite like the Serial Killer movie. Throughout the history of the medium, many of these films have failed to captivate large audiences the way that "Se7en" did and continues to do, usually because they were either shamelessly exploitative or far too deliberately psychological in their approach for most viewers. It's a tough balance for a filmmaker to strike, but with "Se7en" David Fincher made it look so simple. It is one of the best Serial Killer movies ever made.

Part of the reason film-goers consider Freeman, Pitt and Spacey so highly today is because of "Se7en". All three actors excel in their roles. Freeman's Detective Somerset is a week away from retirement when he becomes involved, alongside his own replacement Detective Mills (Pitt), in what is surely the most horrific multiple murder case of his long career. Mills is determined not to shy away from his first case in town, and is shown to be more impulsive than the erudite Somerset, who immediately connects the killings to several great literary works including "The Divine Comedy" and the writings of St Thomas Aquinas. They are always lagging behind the killer, walking solemnly through endless downpours to survey the crime scene of these increasingly sick murders, barely able to grasp the calculated depravity of the man they are chasing.

There are brief meditations on human apathy by both Freeman's character and the killer himself but aside from these, "Se7en" is essentially plot- and character-driven. This works to its great advantage - too much philosophy would have affected the momentum of the film, which is expertly weighted and allowed to accumulate at the right points. Nothing is clichéd, and there are no simplistic 'red herrings' to stretch the action out. It is a thoroughly modern crime film that borrows the religious themes from Horror and parts of its aesthetic from Film Noir, successfully widening its appeal in the process.

I've learnt to slightly concede in my critical judgement over years of watching silent films, art films, propaganda films, slow-moving European epics, counterculture movies et cetera, and so part of the reason I enjoyed "Se7en" so much is that I didn't need to concede anything while watching it. Quite the opposite, I was never anything but totally gripped by it. This is the power of really decent American film-making when it successfully balances visual style, directorial control, individual performances and, above all, a great story (which I won't spoil for you any further by elaborating upon in this review!)

"This isn't going to have a happy ending."

Author: ackstasis from Australia
15 September 2007

After years of experiencing dull, formulaic, clichèd so-called thrillers, it's always satisfying when a genuinely great movie comes along. I have absolutely no hesitation in proclaiming 'Se7en' to be such a film, with director David Fincher – after achieving a somewhat mixed result in his cinematic debut, 'Alien³' – firmly proclaiming his place as one of the 1990's most promising new talents. It's somewhat surprising that the movie had managed to elude me for so long, since I'd been wanting to see it for a while, and it was only last week that I managed to get my hands on a DVD copy. And so, without further ado, I invited over a friend, who has an equal partiality towards good thrillers, and enthusiastically promised him one of the best of its decade. 'Se7en' didn't disappoint.

The film takes place in a dark, gritty, unnamed metropolis, where it is always raining and danger looms ominously from every alleyway. Reserved and hardened Detective Lt. William Somerset (Morgan Freeman) has seen it all in his lifetime, and is finally preparing to retire to the country, away from the madness of the city. His replacement, impulsive Detective David Mills (Brad Pitt), has transferred here at his own request, and is eager to make his mark, even though his career choice could be harming the wellbeing of his lonely and vulnerable wife, Tracy (Gwyneth Paltrow). Both detectives are soon drawn into the case of a serial killer, John Doe, who is ritualistically murdering his victims according to the Seven Deadly Sins: gluttony, greed, sloth, lust, pride, envy and wrath. As the murders begin piling up, the two detectives' investigation becomes an obsession, and the inevitable outcome will drastically change the lives of both. Throughout the film, Brad Pitt provides most of the comic relief, none of which detracts at all from the horrors we are witnessing on screen.

David Fincher has a unique visual style that is simply thrilling to watch. Despite the thematically dark tone of the story, the film itself is positively brimming with invigorating and vibrantly-contrasted colour and lighting. The graphic murder scenes appear to splash out of the screen, before our very eyes, enhancing the feelings of dread and repulsion that accompany John Doe's horrific acts of murder. The rich, highly-stylised use of colour also helps create a memorable atmosphere of sheer foreboding; the imagery is sure to stay with you for many years to come. Even as 'Se7en' abandons the gritty setting of the city for the final act – shifting the action to a starkly-lit open field beside a trail of electric power-lines – the film loses none of its potency, the isolation of the climactic arena seemingly leaving our main protagonists even more helpless and vulnerable than before.

Our villain is anonymously titled John Doe, and is played with delightful creepiness by Kevin Spacey, who only agreed to the part under the condition that he remain unbilled in the promotion and opening credits of the film. Unlike your typical serial killer, John Doe is not a crazy, impulsive and stupid mad-man, but something rather more terrifying: he is intelligent, patient and methodical. In one particularly ghastly crime, he keeps a convicted drug dealer chained to his bed for an entire year, removing his hands and his tongue, and regularly paying his rent so as to not arouse any suspicions. John Doe's entire life has been dedicated to Mankind's obsession with committing sin, and, through orchestrating his crimes, he wishes to preach to the society of their transgressions. John Doe, rather uniquely, is given a large portion of the film's final half-hour, and so he becomes a character that we come to know very well, as opposed to the half-constructed serial killers who usually turn up in the final five minutes only to be shot by the hero. Spacey is very good in the role, though I can't help but feel that his performance would have been even more effective had I not been familiar with much of his later film work.

The most exciting scene in the film is undoubtedly the hectic foot-chase that ensues when John Doe arrives home to his apartment, only to find Detectives Somerset and Mills waiting patiently outside his door. However, the film's climax is also well worth mentioning: though many interpretations have been floating around, my view is that the final two victims are John Doe himself ("Envy") and David Mills ("Wrath"). In order to prevent himself from being labeled a hypocrite, as Mills had suggested during the car-ride, Doe allowed his own deadly sin - envy - to result in the death of Tracy, and so enticed Mills to shoot him, simultaneously becoming the sixth victim and prompting Mills to commit the seventh sin. Some have argued that, since Mills didn't die, he can't be perceived as one of Doe's victims, but is being left alive in these circumstances perhaps even a more diabolical punishment?