IMDb > Se7en (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Se7en

Se7en More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 99: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Se7en

Author: Manoj Arya
16 June 2005

'He is preaching….punishing'.

Serial killing with clues from killer is not a new thing to Hollywood but David Fincher's Se7en exceptional. Its evil genius. Se7en opens with a homicide where a fatso is killed in a very strange manner. We meet Detective Somerset(Freeman) who is about to take off and detective David Mills(Pitt) has just fought to get assigned there. Somerset is calm, mature and has achieved mastery over his job. He probably seen so much that now he badly wants to go far away from this bloodshed. David appears cocky first but turns out amiable character of the film. Tracey(Palthow) is David's wife who hasn't got used to with guns even after so many years of their marriage.

It begins. Each killing is shockingly repellent. Like an artist's signature every victim holds a note, a sin highlighted with lines from Dante Alighieri' s 'Divine Comedy', Shakespeare's 'Merchant of Venice'. And his name is John Doe(Kevin Spacey). Those lines are screaming that this not just some insanity. He wants to make a point.

Each murder is done by reaching horrific extremes of those deadly sins. A fat man is fed until he burst. Then there is an infamous lawyer got gun stuck on his head, handed a knife -a weighing scale is in front of him and he has to cut 1 pound of flesh from his body by himself. A druggist tied to bed for a whole year!! A famous model, her nose is cut and bandaged again and gave a choice- phone in one hand to call help n sleeping pills in other one to die rather than live deformed. A whore is punished ruthlessly that you should see on screen only. John says, "The world is so shitty…and we get used to them".

This Script is sumptuous. It mirrors today's society skillfully and boldly. Nothing is hidden by the camera. All we watch is naked truth that we hate to admit and most of the time that we hardly care. The spirituality woven in has its impact all over. Most of all ending is a blow. It is stunning.

There are number of memorable sequences in Seven. One especially is breath-taking when Somerset and Mills reaches John doe's apartment and Doe directly starts shooting at them and chase sequence followed is absolute fabulous. On other hand dinner party at Mills house we feel wine mixed in the air. Tracey and Somerset's meeting at coffee shop is the finest ones I ever seen. The intensity of that conversation can't be described.

This is a very dark film. It is all time raining. All environment surrounding Se7en is so grim and ghastly it clouds viewers with the same. Music refuse to leave us even when it is over. I must mention titles and credits rolled, one of the best I ever seen.

Se7en comes out with strong performances. Morgan Freeman is truly outstanding. Brad Pitt made me his fan from this movie. The way he says "Ladies and Gentleman we have a homicide here" and same David when taunted by Somerset "You are saying you care for these people?" says with assuring impulse "Sure I do….!!!". Gwyneth Paltrow 's Tracey doesn't have much screen presence but when she is there, we just can not stop love her character. In final half an hour we are introduced to Kevin Spacey's John Doe. The preacher. What can I say about this chilling work? Spacey gave such a performance that stings. We hate to admit with this man but somewhere we know he is right. Somerset asks him, "So you are saying some higher power tell you to do this?" Just watch John Doe reply "Lord works in mysterious ways..". Interesting thing pointed out by one of the fan is Somerset and John Doe both observed the same facts about today's society but responds in different ways, Somerset want to run away and Doe takes action.

No matter how many thrillers I shall see but this will always one of my favorites. It affects deeply. That's the power of Se7en. Se7en is a terrific thriller and a modern classic.

Why do people watch this movie?

Author: onerslnt1 from India
24 February 2011

I always take the trouble to write an IMDb review when I think a movie is too horrible to watch - the good ones, I am sure people can find them without me.

This movie is rotten to the core. It does not entertain a sensible mind. It does not uplift. It has not humor, no fun, no moral. It is morbid, depressing, meaningless. But it is not meaningless like, say, life. Life's meaninglessness has a depth, it is somber. The meaninglessness of this movie is like a small child killing a white rabbit - wanton, senseless, rabid.

What did you learn from this movie? What did you enjoy? What moved you? Nothing unless you admire gore and violence per se. Yes, the acting, especially of KS, was superb. But I do not see any glamor in superbly acting the part of a mad killer. The mad killer can do it himself.

Anyways, I am rambling; but after a movie like this, you are at a loss for words. You wonder what kind of people spend a million dollar on a movie like this. You wonder what kind of people go to watch it. You wonder, most of all, how someone can enjoy spending money on this rather than giving some money to, whoever.

Can't stop watching.You are already sucked into the story.

Author: stallone-9 from Bulgaria
29 February 2008

The greatest thriller of all time right next to Silence of the Lambs.David Fincher has outdone himself and it shows.The story is simple.Two detectives must apprehend a twisted serial killer who punishes his victims for their own sins.But what they come across will soon change them both forever!!!Expert story teller Fincher builds non stop tension which nearly explodes by the end of the movie.Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt are at their best here.There is great chemistry between the two and Gwyneth Paltrow is terrific as Tracy.The end of the movie is one of the most shocking experiences ever on film.The first time when I saw Se7en i was shocked,horrified and just couldn't believe what just happened.THE END will shock you be sure but that is one of the reasons the movie is so good.The final lines by Somerset are moving:"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place worth fighting for...I agree with the second part".

loved it

Author: kelly from england
10 May 2005

i love this film, it is the ultimate thriller film, everything about se7en is brilliant. the cast are well picked and make the best contributions, the main characters Somerset and Mills are portrayed perfectly through Freeman and Pitt. in my opinion this is both Pitt and Freeman's best film, they still have not outshines there fantastic performances. Paltrow as mills wife was a good choice though there are a few other actresses that could have played this part, though i think that what paltrow brought to the role was the fragile emotional side of the character, so i am pleased that she played this part so well. the director is my favourite of all time, Mr David Fincher! he is a fantastic director, not just for this film but for his other films like fight club. he gets fantastic results from his cast and crew and makes the perfect film. and as i'm a budding editor myself i have to mention the fantastic edit on the film, by the editor Richard Francis-Bruce, i do love the edit on seven as he cut at hit points and generally did well.

if you haven't watched it watch it, if you've seen it seen it again! i certainly will.

The Greatest Crime Thriller Ever Told....With The Greatest Villain Of All Time

Author: James Aust from United Kingdom
7 January 2008

This is by far the finest serial killer movie of all time. The script is beautifully paced and original with a fantastic twist at the end. The acting is superb, everyone is on the top of their game. Morgan Freeman shows his versatility and superb natural ability in the role of retiring detective Somerset, Brad Pitt gives the performance of his career as the young feisty Dectective Mills and Gwyneth Paltrow is fantastic as his highly sympathetic and caring character of his wife Tracy. But of course it is Spacey who steals the show as the compelling chilling "John Doe".

His entrancingly calm and chilling performance lifts the picture above many others of its genre and his pure evil glint is just as chilling even more so than Anthony Hopkins in "The Silence of the Lambs".

I believe that Se7en is far far superior to "The Silence of the Lambs" and others of its kind. It was one of the greatest films of the 90's (for me second only to "The Usual Suspects") and i feel is constantly underrated by many. I am glad to see it at #36 although i feel it is worthy of the top 20.

This is David Fincher's finest hour as a director with his drab rainy surroundings adding a superb drab atmosphere to a drab city. Andrew Kevin Walker's script is however will be what remembered as an incredible story, perfectly crafted and acted out beautifully by Spacey, Freeman, Pitt and co.

A MUST SEE FILM FOR EVERY FAN OF GREAT 90's MOVIES, ONE OF THE DECADES GREATEST.

Didn't live up to the hype

Author: (prvteye@yahoo.com) from Seattle, Wa
3 August 2004

I won't bother with spoilers, as there are plenty of them in the other comments.

When all was said and done, my wife and I looked at each other and said "This is the scariest movie ever?"

What I saw was a run-of-the-mill "insane killer gets tracked down by the older, smart cop and the younger, gung-ho cop while manipulating everybody in the process". Perhaps I've become jaded, but I found nothing here that was particularly scary or mind-bending. A clever nut-job leads the police on a mad chase, punishing people as "sinners". The only difference between this and a half-dozen other serial killer movies is the theme of the killings and the fact that the killer turns himself in 3/4's of the way into the story.

This leads to the "twist" ending that seems to remain with so many people. I didn't find the "twist" horrific, though. I simply found it jarring. It didn't fit and it didn't particularly surprise me either. Once the killer decided to let Mills live, you knew he was going to mess with him somehow. The only surprise is the degree of what he did. As far as I'm concerned, they could have dispensed with the whole "wrath" setup and ended with John Doe's words to Mills - "You're only sitting here because I ALLOWED you to live and you'll know that every time you look in the mirror."

Instead, they had to go for a "shocker" ending. This is the "twist" ending that supposedly makes the movie.

Here's the thing, though - The ending doesn't fit the killer's MO. We're given every reason to believe that John Doe is clever, capable, and highly intelligent. He's on a mission. He believes in his mission. He punishes the guilty for their sins, not the innocent. Why, then, does he pick a completely innocent stranger and use her as a vehicle to brand himself as personification of Envy? If he really was envious of Mills (a fact that is highly doubtful), he was already deserving of punishment so why kill an innocent person to make the point? How does the manipulation of Mills into becoming Wrath actually punish Mills for having committed the sin of Wrath?

None of these things make any logical sense within the framework of the story. The ending is completely out of synch with everything we've learned about the killer, including his own statements. All you can do is shrug your shoulders and say "Well, you can't expect an insane killer to be logical." and that just doesn't sit right with me. Not after the buildup we were given concerning John Doe.

I can't recommend this movie. If you want to see a taut, disturbing film in this style (sans the insane serial killer) then rent "8 Millimeter" instead.

Ed5y but Ordinary

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
14 February 2001

Spoilers herein.

What a great boon these DVDs are! -- where we get to view and review with comments from the creators.

Sometimes the creative artist is a poor authority for the depth of their own art. So it is with some interest that I check if what I have seen was what the director thought he put there. Often, I find them simply working on intuition. But the better performing artists are different. They must always intend -- if they do not intend a specific feel or effect then it simply is not there. That's why when a DVD commentary involves an actor it is of particular interest.

In this DVD, we hear Pitt, who really commits to delivering, who worries, who prepares, who sublimates self in order to create an image of himself in your mind. And we hear Freeman who is arrogant, demanding of you and not of him, offering a here-I-am take-it-or-leave-it style of acting, which he calls `intuitive.' This really explains a lot for me. It's why Freeman is a negative attractor for any film I consider, and Pitt the other way around.

Either way, Spacey is the only one that connects with his character, and he's given a relatively simple job.

I admit that this story moved well, engaging by shock and unexpected moves when I first saw it. But on repeated viewings, substantial sloppiness gets in the way. What remains is the very fine lighting. I think `Fight Club,' was much the superior film. This one hardly rates any celebration.

Dark, Chilly, Brilliant and… Disturbing

Author: Anupam Satyasheel from United States
5 April 2007

David Fincher's best movie until date, Se7en is a dark portrayal of a genius psychopath killer, brilliantly played by Kevin Spacey. He is on camera for no more than last 30 minutes of the movie, but so dominant is his character that the entire movie seems to be cast around his uncanny-ness.

The hero of the movie though is neither he nor Brad Pitt nor Morgan Freeman – the two detectives entrusted with the task of tacking him down. It is the plot and the script, extremely brilliant though very murky and enticingly morbid. You see gory murders that leave trace of heart-rending torture, but all that it makes you do is become more inquisitive about the killer. The killer is the sole obsession with the detectives too and the contrast between Brad Pitt's edginess and Morgan Freeman's poise is very well portrayed. It parallels the contrast between the killer's poise and the edginess of the action sequence.

The climax of the movie is startling, revealing and disturbing. It characterizes the essence of Se7en, a movie that stirs you and makes you sit up and take note of it. Calling Se7en a psychological thriller is understating its significance. It is a movie that goes well beyond that, making you aware of the morbid possibilities that exist in human mind. The movie is also remarkable for the fact the cinematic climax does not provide you any catharsis, it just sets your mind thinking – not in the least about what it takes to craft a script as this and to make a movie as disturbingly poignant as Se7en.

Who's right and who's wrong?

Author: William Moon (moonwio) from Auburn, Alabama, U.S.
23 May 2005

This is an outstanding movie. Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey are pitch-perfect, and Brad Pitt is solid. Pitt actually had a lot to do with this movie's success outside of his acting. He forced the studio to keep the original ending, and he forced them to shell out the money to get Spacey. It is fortunate that he did, as those two elements are central to the movie's greatness. Spacey played the killer so chillingly that it makes his message seem all the more unnerving and, perhaps, correct. The uncompromising ending leaves the viewer shocked and reeling. This movie could not have worked without it. Outside of those obvious elements, another key to the film is Freeman's character. His outlook on life is and how it is affected by the murders and by his new partner is a key subplot the film. It brings more weight to the picture. Also, David Fincher's dark, dreary direction adds to the film, somewhat similar to the way Ridley Scott's dark vision adds to Blade Runner. The constant rain is a nice touch, especially when it ironically recedes after the killer shows up. I was never a Nine Inch Nails fan, but their dark brand of music fits this film well, as evidenced in the opening credits. Overall, I think this is one of the great films of all time. Watch it if you can handle grisly images and if you like unnerving endings.

The Defining Thriller Of The '90's

Author: Eumenides-0 from Portugal
24 July 2004

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

As far as the '90's are concerned, there were two good thrillers: The Silence Of The Lambs and Se7en. Kevin Andrew Walker and David Fincher appeared out of nowhere - B movie productions, actually - and took audiences by surprise with a gritty story that mixed urban loneliness, musings on contemporary life, the buddy cop genre, an unprecedented villain in cinema, a violent message against modern society, an intelligent plot with good dialogue and characterisation, and an unforgettable twist at the end that launched a thousand imitations. Indeed, the effects of the marvelous twist are still visible today, in horrible movies like Secret Window, Identity or Godsend. It's become a rule to expect for a twist in thrillers nowadays, sometimes in movies that don't even need them. The one in Se7en made all the sense and besides there was still a great story behind it with great characters, powerful feelings and high stakes. Some thrillers today, though, seem so committed with dazzling the audiences with their bad twists they forget to tell an actual story in the meantime.

On the surface, Se7en is a very simple movie: a retiring detective teams with up his substitute and for seven days they chase a serial killer whose modus operandi is killing each victim after a different deadly sin. It's almost like those slashers where the killer picks his victims one by one. Like I said, it's a simple story… but then, all the good movies usually are. What sets this villain - named only John Doe - apart from average killers is that he has the determination, patience and cunningness to elaborate a plan that has taken him over a year to finally come together: Mills and Sommerset, the detectives, are just poor fools walking into this trap. They're capable men on the whole, and they even disturb John's plans once, which, to me at least, is what sets off John's terrifying revenge at the end… he just loves having the upper hand. More remarkably, his plan does have a purpose: to sensitise society with his murders, to force everyone to look inside themselves and start thinking about what's wrong in society, through his twisted, corrupted vision, of course… basically, he wants to wake up everyone from what he thinks is a collective sleepwalking, the way people go around their business in every-day life without caring about the others around them, locked in their own tiny lives like they're not part of humanity.

There are several high points in this movie, the twist notwithstanding: any of the murder scenes is shockingly beautiful, sometimes dark and grotesque, others beautiful and full of peace; listening to Bach in this movie was a pleasant surprise, and so is the scene where it's playing, as Sommerset goes about a darkly-lit library looking for books about the seven deadly sins; John Doe walking into the precinct on his own, drenched in blood, asking to be arrested, he strikes everyone as a calm, peaceful little man, but his reputation is so famous everyone just stays clear as if he were a bomber; the conversation between Sommerset and Doe in the car as they drive to the place where Doe has two bodies buried, and they discuss the nature of John's work: is he just a sadistic bastard, or a servant of God? Or is he just a pathetic madmen craving for attention?

Se7en is an impeccable movie from the beginning to the end. I don't see any faults in the acting, directing - Fincher's sets are outstanding! - or screen writing. I loved it the first time I saw it, and it's still one of my favourite movies today. I just wish more thrillers like this were made on a regular - I don't mean hitting us with a boring twist in the last second, but with solid characters, a good story and an intelligent plot.