IMDb > Sahara (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Interesting remake

Author: jadortmunder from NY
15 October 2004

This remake is better than I expected. It sticks pretty close to the original but does change a few details here and there. Belushi is surprisingly effective in the Bogart role. The rest of the cast perform well. It's no substitute for the original but it is an interesting alternative take on the story.

I don't see this as anywhere near the debacle described by the other reviewer, who was obviously put off by elements of the story that were repeated from the 1943 original. Those were different times. And this film chose to honor those conventions rather than trying to rewrite history to kowtow to current thinking. Whether that was the right move or not is, I suppose, debatable. But I was expecting to hate this film, yet I found myself pleasantly surprised.

They shall not grow old!!!

Author: Steven Farmer (sjfsas@talk21.com) from Leicester, England
22 July 2001

When I first purchased this movie I just got it because I'm into war films. But after I watched it I was really pleased.

James Belushi puts in one of his best performances of all time. Helped along by the rest of the cast including Alan David Lee and Jerome Ehlers.

The story is a little slow to start off. You get the impression its about a group of soldiers against the desert. But soon the Germans enter the picture and the true plot of the movie becomes apparent.

The best part of the film is the ending sequence. Sgt. Gunn (Belushi) is knelt praying over the graves of his fallen comrades. The poem and the tank driving away is just classic.

Top quality film and one of my favorites!!!!!

Good remake and highly under-rated.

Author: kaninz from Washington, US
31 August 2004

This was, IMO, one of Belushi's better portrayals. The subject is a part of history seldom touched upon by American movies (the American participation in the African theater against Rommel)and includes the Grant medium tank...a forgotten piece of equipment that shows just how unprepared America was to fight WW2.

The movie is well acted. The scenery is excellent and the action flows nicely. The soldiers don't come across as cartoon superheroes or Rambo clones. The rift between the Italian and German forces is portrayed rather nicely too.

The equipment is portrayed nicely and the tactics are sound.

Better Than Expected

Author: harry-m from Ft Lauderdale, Florida, USA
3 November 1998

Although I am generally against remaking classic movies, I must admit that this TV-movie starring Jim Belushi was very well done and was far better than I expected. And Belushi's fine acting was a delightful surprise, too. I recommend that you see the original with Humphrey Bogart and compare. You'll enjoy both.

A cinematic pleasure...

Author: Charles Scholl from Washington D.C.
13 April 2002

Sahara is a cinematic pleasure. For fans of Bogart and of James Belushi, this film will excite you. The story may be a little hard to believe that a hand full of men hold off so many Germans, but Hollywood was part of the war effort 1943 and that is to be expected. Besides, whats wrong with wanting to kick a little Nazi butt every now and then? Anyway, the cinematography alone is worth the watching of this movie. Not unlike the desert scenes in Star Wars - Return of the Jedi and those of more recent films like the Mummy and the Mummy Returns, the richness of color and warmth and the brutal sun make for a heightened experience. If you have a chance to watch this film I highly recommend it so you might form your own opinion. After all, it's has to be better than most of the junk out there lately.

sometimes its a good thing to remake a classic movie.

Author: stevedesantis from Philadelphia, PA USA
25 March 2002

I first watched this film on cable TV late one night. I stayed up (and awake) to watch the entire thing. After seeing the 1995 incarnation and hearing that it was actually a remake of a 1943 Bogart film I searched for the original(My rental stores are sadly lacking in variety from the classic era). I enjoyed the original even more. AMC and TCM need to air these less well known but excellent films more often.

Good remake of a good movie

Author: Charles McGrew from US of A
8 August 2004

Sometimes 'remakes' aren't; they take liberties with the original. This movie didn't do that, they stuck with a good, simple story of men in war. The original started out as a "allied microcosm" propaganda flick, but turned out to be a good solid war movie. The makers of this version don't mess with what works. Jim Belushi provides a good solid focus as the Humphrey Bogart character ("Joe Gunn"), and is ably assisted by the rest of the cast. Not a grand war movie, to be sure, but a good one.

This is a remake of a 1943 Bogart movie of the same title.

Author: Heather (HeatherFL) from Florida USA
6 July 2005

This is a remake of a 1943 Bogart movie of the same title. I was pleased to see they followed the original story almost to a T. Very well acted for a TV movie & Belushi was great as Joe Gunn. And the other actors were good as well. On the whole an enjoyable remake, which doesn't happen very often. I guess what I am saying is that as a very big Bogey fan I was expecting to be let down by this movie, but surprise surprise, I wasn't. It was reasonably well acted, interesting story this time around as well, followed the original movie very closely, surprisingly well directed & well photographed for a TV movie and once again Belushi does a crack job. I'll be buying the DVD.

A unknown little gem

Author: tomly-2 from United Kingdom
6 February 2007

I am ashamed to say as an ardent film fan I have not seen the original starring Humphrey Bogart. I do however have the luxury of being able to judge this film with an unbiased view. I didn't even realise it was a TV film until I saw the details on the IMDb site. Belushi gives a creditable performance but I think all the characters gel together well and the film carries a certain aura of the old British 40's and 50's war films such as Ice cold in Alex though obviously not in the same league. The characters are doomed and yet you feel for them. At the end as the camera pans across the line of makeshift rifle tombstones and Belushi recites the fourth paragraph of Laurence Binyon's 'The Fallen' you realise that you are not only at the end of a quite good film but also you owe a great debt to the fallen heroes of yesteryear.

Thrilling and exciting war yarn in which a small Allied detachment is surrounded by a German army

Author: ma-cortes
1 October 2012

Acceptable adventure drama set in Libyan desert during WWII dealing with an Allied lost patrol battling Germans . Wartime film with powerful direction including scenarios set in Lybia desert but filmed in Outback desert , being based upon an incident in the Soviet film ¨The Thirteen¨ directed by Mikhail Romm and made about six years prior to this movie . "In June, 1942, a small detachment of American tanks with American crews, joined the British Eighth Army in North Africa to get experience in desert warfare under actual battle conditions. History as proved that they learned their lesson well" . While the WWII raged in Europe American/British troops were fighting in a far part of the world , North Africa . Small solitary patrols from all nations moved over the vast Libyan desert that seemed on fire with the sun . The molten sky gloated over them . The endless desert wore the blank look of death . Yet these men marched on without a murmur , fighting an unseen German enemy who always struck in the dark . Sergeant Joe Gunn (James Belushi , while classic version played by Humphrey Bogart) and his tank (called Lulubelle" ) , crew pick up five British soldiers . The group of Allied stragglers (all of them played by Alan David Lee as Bates , Simon Westaway as Williams , Mark Lee as Doyle , Jerome Ehlers as Halliday), a Frenchman (Michael Massae, an American actor, who was born in Kansas City to French parents, Masse convinced director at the audition) and a Sudanese man (Robert Wisdom , formerly played by Rex Ingram) with an Italian prisoner (D'Angelo) crossing the Libyan Desert to rejoin their army after the fall of Tobruk . A brave group of American and British soldiers rides a tank (it is an M3 Lee, but has features of the variety used by the Australian Army during WW2 , the standard US commander's cupola was deleted from the 37mm turret and a pintle mounted) across the Sahara in search of water and lost in the desert , being shot by Germans , one by one and some battered fighting men battle it out to the finish . They find it among desert ruins , only to realise that 500 Nazi troopers converging on them need it even more . Dead the official commander they are ruled by the sergeant , then arise boiling passions in the burning sands . The bunch works together to vanquish a much larger Nazi army that wishes the same water well that they have .

This dusty-looking remake of the Bogart classic gets brief psychological remarks about diverse characters , and although is completely developed on the wide desert , the tale results to be a little claustrophobic . The flick displays fierce action , drama , dominating performances , excitement , contrived heroic deaths and the most entertainment and thrilling scenes come fast in the last reel . Philip MCDonald (story's author being based the movie) had been recruited in the British cavalry during WWI (1917) and he ulteriorly wrote an intrigue and suspense tale , adding his war memories and taking an incident based on the Soviet Photoplay "The Thirteen" . The film contains a powerful and moving musical score . Glimmer and sunny cinematography from Port Stephens , New South Wales, Australia . Nearly all the extras in this film were from the Royal Australian Air Force and The Royal Australian Army. For authenticity, the director made them shave off their mustaches which apparently weren't allowed in the German army in WW2.

Good direction by the Australian Brian Tenchard Smith who transfers the action of the story with great effect and fine interpretations make this an entertaining film . This particular story was former and subsequently remade and reworked several times , being originally seen as a Russian movie titled ¨The thirteen¨ . Subsequently by John Ford in ¨The lost patrol¨ with Victor McLagen and Boris Karloff ¨ set in Mesopotamia ; ¨Bataan¨ by Tay Garnett with Robert Taylor in Philippines jungle ; ¨Last of Comanches¨ made by the same studio about a decade later , was loosely based on this movie , realized by Andre De Toth with Broderick Crawford in Califonia desert ; and even part of ¨Flight of Phoenix¨ by Robert Aldrich in Sahara desert . Britain also made a variation on the story titled ¨Nine men¨ . Rating : 6'5/10 . The motion picture will appeal to warfare moviegoers .

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]