IMDb > Red Hot (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Red Hot More at IMDbPro »

Good, but not gripping.

Author: Reg from Prince George, British Columbia
4 August 2003

I fell in love with this movie at the start, simply from the concept of Soviet teenagers undertaking an underground rock band in the late '50s. This aspect of the film was particularly well done, especially the musician's early attempts to learn this foreign music. Unfortunately, the political and romantic sub-plots lacked punch and direction; and I found the ending to be unrealistic and devoid of any bite. Excellent watch if you love the early roots of rock 'n roll; otherwise, skip it.

Wonderful story of music, love, and piracy

Author: Nicholas Tam from Calgary, Canada
29 March 1999

"Red Hot" is a film that excels in almost every way in realistically portraying the life of a Russian teenager introduced to American culture, and how it affects others around him. It is truly one of the most well-written films I have seen in a long time, and it definitely has a place on my personal Top 50 list. Considering how many films I have seen, it is remarkable that it places even nearly that high. The love story behind it all clicks together with ease, as does the plotline involving music. I can easily relate my own personal experiences to those of Alexi, the main character, excepting the ending sequences (without giving too much away).

Overall, "Red Hot" is a terrific film, and the only place where it suffers is the fact that virtually nobody I know has seen it.

Highly recommended

Author: Sprites from Canada
25 April 2001

What a great movie! I only hope more people have the chance to see it. I purchased "Red Hot" without knowing what to expect, and very much enjoyed it. The music itself is wonderful and makes the movie great, but the storyline and the acting is also extremely well-done. See it and you won't regret it.

Very Good Film

Author: curly_102 from Alberta, Canada
10 December 2001

I watched this film a couple years back and enjoyed it very much. Its nothing spectacular but if your looking for a light, sentimental watch Red Hot is a movie for you. Great acting, nice setting and an overall interesting plot.