IMDb > Reckless (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Reckless

Reckless More at IMDbPro »

excellent film, beautiful and touching

Author: Will-35 from Toronto
5 June 2005

This is an excellent film by Norman Rene. The final installment of three films that Rene made.

I thought it was beautifully done and particularly loved Mia Farrow in this film.

For me, the film exploresidentity in the same ways as his earlier film, prelude to a kiss....

and perhaps also explores issues related to HIV/AIDS, much like his earlier two films. This is NOT the stage play, like any film of previously written material it illustrates the directors point of view. I highly recommend this film, it's a rare delight W

I loved this dark comedy.

Author: bdhagie2002 from San Francisco
8 November 2004

Even though this was one of the strangest movies I have ever seen, it kept you wondering what could possibly happen next. I love most of Mary Louise Parker's performances and this was no different. She has the ability to bring so much to every character she plays. The movie follows Mia Farrow's character through various changes in her life and how she deals with each of them. It isn't an award winning movie by any means, but will make you think. I highly recommend it. I would have probably never stumbled across this movie if Tivo hadn't told me that Stephen Dorff was in it. Even though his part was very small I was glad that it brought me to the movie in the first place. I have to say that I'm happy to see that they are turning the movie into a Broadway play with Mary Louise Parker in the cast. I think it will be a must see.

In many ways a brilliant film.

Author: reviewerinoimdbino from United States
12 April 2008

I was going to be all apologetic for praising this film, but if you look at the ratings for this in detail you'll see that the MAJORITY of people give this film a rating of 5 and above. So how does IMDb arrive at its "weighted average" of 4.4? Ridiculous. Lots of '9's and '10's--and are we to think that all of those '5's, '6's, '7's, and '8's are put in to 'game the system'? Puh-lease.

The only thing that keeps this movie from being a '10' for me is the fact that it's crazy plot developments keep coming and coming and coming, with a ton of false endings. It gives you a headache.

But the utter brilliance of so much of this film--Deborah Rush as Trish the embezzler is, all on her own, worth the price of admission! The surprising twists with the Mary-Louise Parker character? The brilliant art direction, with its warped vision of our heroine's world as a winter wonderland in a snow globe gone mad? The plain old beauty of Stephen Dorff? There is A LOT to love about this movie. If you love movies, if you care about and are interested in movies as an art form, you will want to see this movie.

It's incredibly funny, it's beautiful, it's strange, it's wearying. It's not for everyone, but I wouldn't want to be everyone. If you're thoughtful, intelligent, and patient, you will appreciate the superb acting, film-making, and atmosphere this film provides.

A Guilty Pleasure Movie

Author: djksimon-1 from United States
5 January 2010

This is a movie that I cannot turn away from. Although I have seen it twice in its entirety, I have watched it several more times from the point at which I've stumbled upon it while channel surfing. It's truly a train wreck of a movie - from the claustrophobic scaled-down set of the marital home to the way that Mia Farrow's character becomes the unwitting victim of fate over and over. Although she is the protagonist, for me the story is also about the identity-seeking behaviors of all the supporting characters, their search for meaning and wholeness in their lives, the secrets they keep from each other and their perpetual estrangement and lack of intimacy... just like real life, only narrower and slightly more absurd. For anyone who has had experience with mental health practitioners, who couldn't relate to the parade of therapists projecting their own issues onto Rachel's character, and then validating themselves for helping her? Yes, overall "Reckless" is a sad story but its quirky comedic elements give it enough spice to make it a satisfying if not guilty pleasure.

Witty, Moving, Satisfying

Author: rdconger from Northern California
10 September 2005

I happened to tape this film from TV, and it has become one of my favorites. Whatever failings it may have, and I think it has fewer failings than some might think, it is in its way a tour de force of originality. The combination of gritty downfall with under-the-Christmas-tree fantasy works very well -- and that in itself is an achievement.

Its charms, by and large, are the small things, the incidental scenes that are accomplished in a unique manner, such as a conversation in American sign language between two women who are wearing large, yellow rubber gloves (in the scene they are cleaning a carpet). While I concede that the title seems fairly arbitrary, it certainly does the film no harm, no more than "Magnolia" did any harm to that film, even though "Magnolia" is surely just as arbitrary a title for "Magnolia" as "Reckless" is for "Reckless." In my view, a film that is unique (as well as uniquely quirky), visually witty, and that can arouse and explore entirely new and unexpected emotional territory in the viewer is a film of value. Mia Farrow's and Scott Glenn's performances are excellent.

I would encourage anyone who wants to see something that is entirely different from anything else and that will make an indelible impression, would do well to see this film. And don't worry, the script is just fine; although it is a morality tale, it is not a morality tale with a smug or pat conclusion, as it ends, as it begins, with a weirdly satisfying sort of open-ended grace.

Hilarious!

Author: Peter A. Lake from Marblehead, MA
5 September 2001

Dark enough for anyone who enjoys the truly morbid and wretched. Puts the fun back dysfunctional and can brighten anyone's miserable Christmas. Thank gawd for offbeat comedies like this, which are closer to real life than most people would care to admit.

Meandering Christmas dream-like dark comedy .......

Author: merklekranz from United States
10 January 2014

Mia Farrow is terrific as the runaway mom who slides out a window on Christmas Eve, after her husband contracts a hit-man to kill her. Thus begins a Christmas "black comedy" that ranks way up there on the strange scale. Farrow's predicament doesn't seem to alter her always pleasant and forgiving disposition. There are at least a bunch of messages hidden throughout the chaotic storyline that unfolds. Scott Glenn takes Farrow home to live with his paraplegic wife, Mary Louise Parker, where all three do an excellent job of keeping dark secrets from each other. The remainder of the film is a series of random events, that do little to crystallize the bizarre goings on. "Reckless" would best be appreciated by the "midnight movie" crowd, to whom it seems perfectly suited. Perhaps a midnight Christmas Eve showing? - MERK

ThIs ExPlaiNs wHy ItS cOnSidEReD comedy/Fantasy!!!

Author: hoh-smokey-k9 from United States
24 June 2006

the boy's mother left him, so in his mind to deal with it, he made up this whole crazy(hilarious, bizarre) story about hit men, poisonings, blood spraying, didn't you notice how it skips years instantaneously, at one point skipping 7 years at once, its because hes been told a couple of things, and he fills in the rest! , It is absolutely all a dream! it is all made up by the son, that is why it seems so ridiculous, . think about it, that totally ridiculous gameshow with the freaky outfits, the acid trip landscapes, and the bizarre events that seem to happen to her every 30 seconds, even though the movie spans over at least ten years.

the reason everything in this movie seems too good or bad to be reality, is, ***its not!!! its in his head****!!!

A Celluloid Dream

Author: surrealkitten from Granada, Espana
1 October 2003

This metaphorical story of a woman leaving her husband and coming to terms with the sadness in her life is filmed as if everything is a dream. Mia Farrow plays a truly epic character, and her strength in the role finally proves her more than a beautiful waif. Even the smallest elements are connected to the larger center of the picture, and no strange story is left unexplained. A real joy.

Surreal & Dark Allegory -- Highly Recommended for Thinking Adults

Author: bturnerinla from United States
25 December 2010

I saw this film on Christmas Day in 2001 on PBS. Nine years to the day later it's still as vivid in my memory. After seeing it, as the credits started to roll, so did the tears down my face.

It surprises me that I never heard of this film when it came out as it's artistically a gem of a film. The acting is superb of very high caliber. It's got a twisted story in more ways than one, extremely compelling for those that appreciate a complex, tightly woven plot line.

If you have ever been betrayed by someone near/dear, this story will reach in on a visceral level and pull you in.

The overall message is powerful. It comes full circle from the extreme vulnerability to empowerment as it underscores the moral qualities and staying true to one's core values even in the face of overwhelming adversities.

My nephew is going through some hard times, I wish he could see this film today....

Merry Christmas!