IMDb > Party Girl (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Clashing worlds

Author: Figtree from Iowa
1 October 2005

I loved this movie, and I am one of the older people who is not supposed to enjoy it, or so it seems. No, this movie is not deep -- who cares? These kinds of movies never are. But strangely, there is a message in it. It's that we each have the potential to be whatever we want to be.

Parker Posey is great in this movie. I've always thought that she bears some resemblance facially to Katharine Hepburn. So, it's great to see that both Hepburn and Posey made movies about librarians (Hepburn's is The Desk Set). All librarians, especially those with a sense of humor, should see Party Girl.

I gave this movie an 8. It is not by any means a great film by cinematic standards, although there are some nice shots in it. But it is incredibly charming and entertaining.

I Wish Parker Posey Would Get More Star Vehicles Like This

Author: evanston_dad from United States
12 July 2006

Parker Posey flashes her 1,000-kilowatt smile frequently in this film, and your enjoyment of the movie will rely primarily on how smitten you are by Posey's quirky charm.

Count me as a follower. I think Posey is a hoot in everything she's in, incapable of giving an ordinary performance. I have a feeling that in "Party Girl" she plays a variation of herself, but that's just fine with me. She appears in virtually every frame of the film, but the movie isn't much of anything without her, so I welcomed the overdose of Posey.

The script for "Party Girl" feels half-assed, though I did appreciate the existential crisis faced by Posey's character and the shelter she seeks in the Dewey Decimal System as a way of bringing order to her chaotic existence. I wish the screenwriters had taken clever hooks like that further. And the ending had a conventional, all-loose-ends-tied-up quality that would better suit a television sitcom than an out-there indie film.

But none of these faults take anything away from Posey herself, so really, how serious can they be?

Grade: B

Good Fun.....

Author: Jubilee-3 from New Jersey
24 July 2000

I liked this movie. I felt that the character of Mary was endearing, and so was her circle of friends. It also had some really great quotes. Well, anyway, I am always partial to Liev films, and this is no exception. I thought that he was outstanding. Hmmm...what else can I say? It's a charming little picture, and it was done before Parker did the horrid Scream savor her indie talent while you can...looks like she's moving to the mainstream.

This movie is a must for any librarian worthy of the profession

Author: kelly-196 from Washington DC
20 May 2004

Parker Posey gives new meaning the Dewey Decimal System. Embracing library life she shows that those who work in libraries are not all eye-glass wearing, bun in the hair, sensible shoe types. AND the sound track can't be beat. This one gets me dancing every single time!

The story is sweet and fun. Posey is on target as a typical wild child avoiding work at all costs.

Librarians around the world should have this movie in their personal collections for viewing anytime. A great pick me up!

The stereotypes for librarians are out there - it is nice when mass media blows up those stereotypes (another place the stereotype was recently blasted was on the on the pages of BUST magazine in April 2004).

Put it back in the time capsule

Author: T Y from United States
31 December 2007

For anyone craving a remake of 1989's Slaves of New York. What are there, seven of you? Here it is... was.

This undercooked movie has studiously vapid characters (Well they're club-kids, ya big jerk!) that are in holding patterns. The big question seems to be, just how long can a young adult remain juvenile? It took three people to write this 'story'? Good god, it was easier to come up with Citizen Kane. Rather than take viewers back, this movie should just embarrass anyone who was a scene-ster in the early 90s.

The idea that a fifty year old woman envies a bunch of self-absorbed kids from a different era is the world as only self-absorbed, twenty-somethings could imagine it. The odd sidebar about library work is not the sub-plot one expects from the equivalent of Parker Posey's Breakin 2: Electric Bugaloo. Her "I'm serious about graduate school!" while a stripper grinds on her is hysterical. Posey's shtick is always amusing, but there are projects that are beneath her. I was asleep before it crossed the 40 minute mark.

Parker Posey is perfect in the title role of Party Girl

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
10 November 2015

After 20 years of only hearing about this quirky comedy, I finally watched this on a DVD I borrowed from the, yes, library. Parker Posey is Mary-the title character who ends up working at the place where books are borrowed because a friend (her godmother who she calls by her first name, Judy) of her late mom is one of the employees there. But Mary, well, she's not always the most responsible of people. Still, she's quite charming especially when dancing or just wearing many of her stylish outfits either in the streets or at the dance clubs she frequents. Ms. Posey is funny and stunning throughout the movie. And her charms are multiplied every time she speaks. And I liked many of the mostly unknown supporting cast that's presented here. So on that note, I highly recommend Party Girl.

Superb film!

Author: gwen-26 from Ithaca, NY
2 September 2000

This is one of may all-time favourite films. Parker Posey's character is over-the-top entertaining, and the librarian motif won't be lost on anyone who has ever worked in the books and stacks world.

If you're a library student, RENT THIS. Then buy the poster and hang it on your wall. The soundtrack is highly recommendable too. I've shown this film to more library friends than any other -- they all fall in love with it.

Parker Posey-Monell

Author: stvdog from orlando, florida
24 August 1999

I like the way that rolls out... Parker Posey-Monell! I loved this movie, and I am now on a quest to see all of my future fake bride's films. I especially loved the dueling falafell stands. Great stuff. Finding your place in life is everyone's quest, I think. This film explores that in a very cool way.

Author: sdddz2 from Ohio
22 September 2003

He-he-hello!! This is a really fun movie. Basically, in Party Girl, you have your fun-lovin', independent, early 90's New Yorker chick. Along with her party friends, she meets a mature Turkish Vendor. It is a comming of age story for those new adults who are searching for what they want to do. It is comforting to see a female slacker develop into a mature woman. Hope is given to all of us slackers who might feel like their only skills are being able to maintain while hammered and a nack for throwing good parties.

On a side note, Parker Posey makes this movie great. I have never been a great fan of her, but this movie makes me just want to watch all of her movies. There are subtle manerisms that perfected her character. If you want good laughs and a fun time, make sure to watch this movie. Repeated viewings are a must.

It's a party in the stacks

Author: lib-4 from Florida
17 March 1999

Being a librarian I really appreciated this movie- because we do have fun on our off hours. Parker Posey reminded me of a 90's holly golightly...and next time I'm in the romance language section of the stacks I'll think of mary and mustafa... a light movie with some good dancing music... fun...her aunt was a human- the menopause scene was great--- and someone did their research for all the titles mentioned in reference questions do exist.....

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]