IMDb > Party Girl (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Party Girl

Party Girl More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Put it back in the time capsule

Author: T Y from United States
31 December 2007

For anyone craving a remake of 1989's Slaves of New York. What are there, seven of you? Here it is... was.

This undercooked movie has studiously vapid characters (Well they're club-kids, ya big jerk!) that are in holding patterns. The big question seems to be, just how long can a young adult remain juvenile? It took three people to write this 'story'? Good god, it was easier to come up with Citizen Kane. Rather than take viewers back, this movie should just embarrass anyone who was a scene-ster in the early 90s.

The idea that a fifty year old woman envies a bunch of self-absorbed kids from a different era is the world as only self-absorbed, twenty-somethings could imagine it. The odd sidebar about library work is not the sub-plot one expects from the equivalent of Parker Posey's Breakin 2: Electric Bugaloo. Her "I'm serious about graduate school!" while a stripper grinds on her is hysterical. Posey's shtick is always amusing, but there are projects that are beneath her. I was asleep before it crossed the 40 minute mark.

Superb film!

Author: gwen-26 from Ithaca, NY
2 September 2000

This is one of may all-time favourite films. Parker Posey's character is over-the-top entertaining, and the librarian motif won't be lost on anyone who has ever worked in the books and stacks world.

If you're a library student, RENT THIS. Then buy the poster and hang it on your wall. The soundtrack is highly recommendable too. I've shown this film to more library friends than any other -- they all fall in love with it.

Parker Posey-Monell

Author: stvdog from orlando, florida
24 August 1999

I like the way that rolls out... Parker Posey-Monell! I loved this movie, and I am now on a quest to see all of my future fake bride's films. I especially loved the dueling falafell stands. Great stuff. Finding your place in life is everyone's quest, I think. This film explores that in a very cool way.

He-He-Hello!

Author: sdddz2 from Ohio
22 September 2003

He-he-hello!! This is a really fun movie. Basically, in Party Girl, you have your fun-lovin', independent, early 90's New Yorker chick. Along with her party friends, she meets a mature Turkish Vendor. It is a comming of age story for those new adults who are searching for what they want to do. It is comforting to see a female slacker develop into a mature woman. Hope is given to all of us slackers who might feel like their only skills are being able to maintain while hammered and a nack for throwing good parties.

On a side note, Parker Posey makes this movie great. I have never been a great fan of her, but this movie makes me just want to watch all of her movies. There are subtle manerisms that perfected her character. If you want good laughs and a fun time, make sure to watch this movie. Repeated viewings are a must.

It's a party in the stacks

Author: lib-4 from Florida
17 March 1999

Being a librarian I really appreciated this movie- because we do have fun on our off hours. Parker Posey reminded me of a 90's holly golightly...and next time I'm in the romance language section of the stacks I'll think of mary and mustafa... a light movie with some good dancing music... fun...her aunt was a human- the menopause scene was great--- and someone did their research for all the titles mentioned in reference questions do exist.....

This movie rocked!Parker rocked!

Author: DeeDee-12 from San Antonio, Texas
7 February 1999

This is a great movie for any Parker Posey fan. I saw it like some years ago and I still remember how great it was. It was great. It made you feel good. It makes librarians look great. Parker Posey was the best. I would see any movie with her in it. Im glad I saw Party Girl. I watched it thousands of times before I returned it, and it never got boring. I loved the club scences. Everyone needs to see this movie!

I disagree. I think it's great fun AND a quality piece of cinema!

Author: Felonious-Punk from United States
9 February 2013

Strange, avant-garde, campy, AND feel-good. This movie walks a delicate line. Parker Posey is phenomenal, but so is the writing and directing which crams every moment and every character with witty humor. It's a cool, sly type of humor, for example: a librarian yells out "I've already got you on the list for the new Danielle Steele." Then we see that she's talking to a young black man who gives a confused look. Young black males are not Danielle Steele's targeted demographic, so is this a unique man who is embarrassed by being outed as a Steele fan or has the librarian confused him with someone else. That moment causes us to question our stereotypes and gives us a laugh at the same time. But that is one miniscule joke in a movie that has thousands of such bits. It's thoughtful, intelligent and a bit emotional when it comes to the main character's search for herself and her full potential. Bravo!

What a blast!

Author: Alyssa Hunt (lyss@geocities.com) from Ovid, Michigan
19 September 1998

This movie was such a blast! It has that feel-good, yet totally in your face attitude that draws me to a movie. It has a good message (party girl decides she needs a real job) yet she doesn't completely lose all sense of fun. I recommend this movie for anyone who needs some humor, but is also a thinker! :)

Great flick!

Author: Ronald MacDougall from Canada
10 March 2005

Myself and my groovadelic 20-something pals just can't get enough of this awesome Parker Posey CLASSIC! I tried renting this on DVD, but can't seem to find it - too bad, as I'm sure the features would be "extra special" !! :) We all highly recommend this uber-cool comedy flickerino for a date, or even just a cozy night home alone! This would also be the purr-fect type of movie to watch with your cat, or even throw a party based on, like a "Party Girl" party, just like the one in the movie that the lovable, huggable, squeezable Parker Posey goes to at the end. Oh, and be on the lookout for a gripping and HILARIOUS surprise ending... move aside, The Sixth Sense, you've just been outdone by a way radder movie! Sorry, no offense, just calling it like it is! Take it from an old flick lover, comedy just doesn't get better than "Party Girl" with Parker P! Feel it! Yours, Ronald Marie MacDougall (aka DJ Cyber-Rap)

a good idea poorly imagined, underwritten, visually dull

Author: perfect-3 from Tucson, AZ
17 May 1999

There is a good (short) movie in here somewhere, and I guess some people will respond to what this movie wanted to be, but I don't think it achieves much. The characters are one dimensional, the story is stretched too far, the visuals look like a mediocre film student with one camera and one lens took one take.

I did like watching Parker Posey prance around in pretty clothes, but that doesn't make a movie. I also like the library jokes, but they weren't presented well.

Maybe with some better writing and a much better director, this would have been a good film.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]