IMDb > Operation Dumbo Drop (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Operation Dumbo Drop

Operation Dumbo Drop More at IMDbPro »

This operation was real. I was "there."

Author: trickymisfit from Cotopaxi, CO
13 February 2011

In 1968, I was the CA NCO (Civil Affairs Noncommissioned Officer) for Co. C, 5th SFG(A), 1st SF, HQed In DaNang, RVN. I was not directly involved with the mission but had a front row seat and the officers I worked under kept me apprised of the progress. These facts might be of interest:

1. "Our" Top Secret operation had two elephants called Bonnie and Clyde.

2. The elephants were not dropped in slings or standing up as depicted in the movie. They had to be tied down to airdrop cargo pallets. If they were hung in slings, their own weight would have suffocated them. If they had been dropped standing up, their weight would have caused fatal physical harm upon landing.

3. Two veterinarians were flown from England to sedate and revive the animals.

4. The purpose was not for a ceremony but for a much more practical reason. A sawmill had been built in the village to help its economy. The mountain trails were much too narrow to use bulldozers to drag the trees to the mill and someone came up with this idea.

5. The mission ultimately was a failure. The elephants were juveniles (weight!!!) and were much too small to drag the large logs. Growing elephants eat a lot. The village chief complained that the villagers were being forced to travel deeper and deeper into VC controlled territory to collect banana trees for their fodder. I don't know how this problem was resolved.

The movie was much more interesting and fun, as the actual mission was pulled off without a hitch and had little entertainment value. My credibility could be verified on my website which I am required not to include, but I'll be glad to provide it to anyone who is interested. There is a direct contact link available.

For those reviewers who chose this forum to again knock a war over 36 years gone, SHAME ON YOU! You have only exposed your own ignorance. As all soldiers in every war , some Americans conducted themselves better than others. As this mission actually went (and as depicted in this DRAMATIZATION), many of us worked tirelessly to improve the lives of the Vietnamese.

I am most proud of my days in Vietnam when I was privileged to provide food, cooking utensils, clothing and other necessities to peoples displaced by the war. Many good American lives were lost directly attempting to prevent harm to Vietnamese people. I risked my life more than once, not in combat, but in aiding "common" villagers in tasks they could not accomplice themselves. My OIC (Officer in Charge) was shot down and killed while attempting to evacuate refugees from a besieged A-Camp. HE DID NOT HAVE TO BE ON THAT AIRCRAFT.

You are welcome to your opinion and can state it per the First Amendment but, ethically, you should study and actually know a little bit about the topic before you share an opinion. And for Heaven's sake, keep political opinions on political forums. "Dumbo Drop" hardly glorified warfare. It just exposed the truth that a little bit of good can be found in most things, even things as tragic as warfare.

And to the reviewer who doubted that anything funny ever happens in warfare: You too, speak out of ignorance. I spent two years in country and had many genuine good times, often with the fine Vietnamese soldiers with whom I worked.

Dumb Fun.

Author: Elbow
18 September 1999

Operation Dumbo Drop is one of those movies that despite its' implausible and shallow trappings, is wholely enjoyable.

The movie is set during the Vietnam War, a setting in time not particularly known for its' lightheartedness. The story concerns a group of soldiers who must replace an elephant from a village where one was originally a war casualty. Sound ridiculous? Well, it is. However that does not stop the completely likeable cast including Danny Glover, Ray Liotta and Denis Leary from appearing to have fun with the movie. While the movie is set up as children's fare, there are some relatively intense scenes of war which are inevitable given the setting.

Yet through it all, the story manages to exude humor and warmth which make it easily one of the most pleasant Vietnam-era movies ever. While not necessarily recommended for all kids, this movie is family friendly and entertaining, contrary to popular belief.

Disney goes to Vietnam

Author: coverme6 from Allentown, PA
15 August 2001

The Vietnam War makes a really unorthodox setting for a Disney movie, but this movie goes along quite well, thanks to its performances. Danny Glover and Ray Liotta star as the leaders of a rag-tag American platoon in charge of guarding an elephant and its young Vietnamese trainer on a trip to one part of the divided country to another.

Because of its family-friendly base, OPERATION DUMBO DROP plays it

safe with it's war violence. But who says you need bloody, graphic action in order to make a good war-oriented film? As long as the

performances are stellar, the film wins. Case in point is OPERATION DUMBO DROP.

Underrated

Author: vballbabi757 from Virginia Beach, VA
4 July 2004

Operation Dumbo Drop was actually a nice movie in my opinion. Based on a true story it had a nice flowing story line full of action and family-appropriate material. Great actors such as Danny Glover helped the film come alive and send out strong messages. Not the best motion picture.. but it was fun and definitely did/does not deserve the type of criticism I often see it getting. It is a great film for a family movie night or even when you're alone and simply bored. Children and Adults alike can appreciate the exciting action (accompanied with only occasional mild violence), cute humor, and expressed morals and the importance of human kindness. History bluffs would also enjoy this since it takes place during the Vietnam War and shows some interesting details. Overall I believe the movie as a whole deserved at least a 7/10 rating.

-Amanda, Miss Movie Bluff

Information correction

Author: bobby24061 from United States
21 January 2012

Not to be knit-picky, but, Denis Leary's character was not a lieutenant. He was a "Chief Warrant Officer Grade 3", or "CWO-3" for short. If there is any question of this, one should check out the close-up of Leary to note the bar on his collar with 3 black squares on it.

Should also be noted, wearing of the Beret with colored insignia and flash (patch), was not done during combat operations. The last thing anyone wanted was to be seen because there was something shiny or colorful which could give away one's position to the enemy.

Aside from those inconsistencies, Disney did a great job of putting this motion picture together.

The people chosen, did a fantastic job of being as authentic as possible. Of course, much about the real story had to be quieted down for the sake of the audiences viewing pleasure. Since the real truth of the war was the horror of confrontation.

This was an awesome film, which helped to show an aspect of people in the military, as people. And not the mindless drone killers, some in the population would have the world believe. There was much humanity by the armed forces, but, those are the news stories which the networks DIDN'T show, because it didn't have the flair and sensationalism that was desired by the various network news casts.

Feel good for flying elephants

Author: emdragon from Reno, Nv
10 March 2005

In something Walt Disney would actually have been proud of, Operation Dumbo Drop carries the old Disney tradition of making the audience feel good without regard to it's lack of plausibility. Danny Glover and Ray Liotta, along with Dennis Leary walk a tightrope of comedy in a real war-zone situation and carry this off with a real blend of comedic and acting talent. The acting in this movie is terrific. The cinematography and all the little things that go the extra mile. . like setting, direction, musical score, sound, etc, all come together nicely. And the elephant is a great character actor! The only problem is, of course, it is a terrible war and nobody is dying. This is something traditional with the Disney family genre, but in this picture it really becomes completely implausible and will probably turn off some viewers. That said, if one can ignore the actual ridiculous nature in this total lack of plausibility, I found this picture quite easy to like.

Good Disney Film

Author: edmundmuskie from America
16 May 2004

I actually enjoyed this nice little Disney production. The movie is based on a true story about a group of soldiers in Vietnam that are assigned to transport an elephant to a tiny Vietnamese village. This is one of the few movies set in the Vietnam war that is not emotionally intense and/or has a huge amount of blood and guts. But this is a cute little film with Danny Glover excellent in the lead role, and excellent support provided by Ray Liotta, Denis Leary, and Doug E. Doug. Doug E. Doug who is excellent all around as a performer adds a certain spark to this film that makes it very funny, but generally speaking everything he is in is quite good, and this is no exception. This is a movie that is definitely worth seeing.

Jumbo sized

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
19 October 2014

Operation Dumbo Drop stars Ray Liotta, Danny Glover and Denis Leary, it is set during the Vietnam war and is a Disney family comedy-drama rather implausibly based on a true event.

Liotta is a US soldier who lands in a remote Vietnamese village to replace Glover and his actions leads to their sole working elephant to be killed. In order to safeguard the strategic interest of the US military, Glover and Liotta decide to locate another elephant as a replacement and bring it to the villagers as a gift.

Withe the help of Leary they find an old elephant who is accompanied by a young boy but the elephant does not like flying in planes and they have to use various means to take the elephant back to the villagers.

The story has enough humour and warmth to keep the kids entertained, they will enjoy the elephant going on a rampage inside a plane or in the marketplace. It is rather ludicrous despite being based on true events but Liotta and Glover look like they are having fun in a Disney movie.

The value of one's word

Author: Freddy-38 from New Milford, CT USA
2 June 2001

Linh reminds us of a younger brother of a dear friend. After hearing so many tragic stories about Vietnam, it is heartwarming to be reminded that the true American spirit was alive and well during that awful time. We hear of the beauty in that country and of the wonderful people who reside there -- this was just a glimpse into that world.

This movie presented a good account of some of the Americans and some of the Vietnamese.

We found ourselves rooting for a successful mission and a keeping of one's word. What can be of more value than a person's word? That is what this very entertaining movies is all about. The value of one's word.

Criticism

Author: Dr_RoButtnik from New York
26 April 2004

Yah, hey I made a name just to argue with the idiot that made the last review for this movie. Laws of physics actually state that objects fall at the same speed no matter how heavy they are. Try it with a penny and a book at the top of your house. So don't talk about laws of physics if you are uninformed about something that is taught pretty much on Day One of Physics 101. So you may argue that it's still impossible to catch up with the elephant. Yah, it probably is, but if he went into a dive motion (a la James Bond in the beginning of Goldeneye) it's possible to decrease air resistance and increase aerodynamics in such a way to fall faster. Stunt sky-divers do it all the time. So that's the second reason why you're wrong. Talk to you later and hope you have fun posting opinionated comments about something when you have no basis or knowledge for opinion.