IMDb > Now and Then (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Now and Then

Now and Then More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A movie that mothers and daughters can cherish.

Author: SanDiego
29 August 1999

My daughters (ages 10 and 12) and I love this film, we cherish this film. We laughed, giggled, cried, hugged, and bonded. I highly advise this film to all mothers and daughters. Some warnings. There is a brief scene where some skinning dipping boys are chasing the girls who have stolen their clothes. It begins with a very quick shot of an older boy's penis as he flips into a pond (I didn't see at first, but my daughters did after repeated viewings and use of the pause button), followed by a discussion of male erections by the four girls. The scene is so well written and handled that parents could actually use it to break the ice in the discussion of sex with their children. I did. The girls then proceed to steal the boy's clothes and are chased on their bicycles by the four boys who are seen nude from the rear. This scene is played so innocently and cute that a parent need not worry about it, though I have noticed my girls rewinding that scene. A parent should not worry about their children viewing this film, however, the parent should watch it with their children.

I Love This Movie

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
5 January 2003

Now and Then used to be my favorite movie when I was younger and it still remains one of my favorites. It's about four friends that have made a pact when they were younger that if one of them ever needed each other they would be there. Now that time has come. Chrissy( Rita Wilson) is about to deliver a child and she wants her friends to be there. Roberta( Rosie O'Donnell), Teeny( Melanie Griffith) and Samantha(Demi Moore) have all arrived and are about to reunite again. While all this is happening, Samantha is telling the story of their childhood and how their friendship began. In the younger days, samantha is played by Gaby Hoffmann, Roberta by Christina Ricci, Teeny by Thora Birch and Chrissy is being played by Ashleigh Aston Moore. This movie is absolutely wonderful, it puts me in such a great mood. The story is just so great, i could watch the movie all over again.It makes you think that real friends do exist. I would give Now And Then 10/10

Even Though It's A Girl's Movie, I Liked It.

Author: movies2u from United States
14 November 2001

Now and Then is a good film that has a likeable cast and is funny and expresses friendship. Yes, it is definetley a girl's movie, but even though, I enjoyed it. The movie is like Stand By Me, except it shows girls's perspectives. The film is a good and fun movie to watch for fun. I give Now and Then a 9 out of 10. :)

All-star cast. All-good film.

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
15 April 2001

'Now And Then' is about a group of women who return to their old treehouse and reminisce about the one summer that truly changed their lives...

With an all star cast, 'Now And Then' features Melanie Griffith, Demi Moore, Rita Wilson and Rosie O'Donnell, with Thora Birch, Gaby Hoffman, Ashleigh Aston Moore and Christina Ricci playing their younger counterparts.

Teen star Christina Ricci ('Casper', 'The Adams Family') is great - as is Ricci's 'Gold Diggers' co-star, Ashleigh Aston Moore - as the mis-informed Chrissy. Bonnie Hunt ('Jumangi') and Devon Sawa ('Wild America') also star.

The story is great - plenty of laughs to be had here, with sad moments, too. The acting is A-Grade (the young girls look very promising) and the finished product is a film all the cast should be proud of.

Very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship

Author: Catherine_Grace_Zeh from Fairfax, Virginia, USA
27 November 2005

NOW AND THEN, in my opinion, is a very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship. If you ask me, it makes you and your friends stop and evaluate your friendship. I know it certainly made me stop and evaluate my friendship with my really close friends. All in all, this was a very good movie. In conclusion, if you enjoy buddy movies, and you haven't seen this very hilarious and touching movie about the power of friendship, I highly recommend it! You're in for a real treat and lots of laughs, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it. If you miss it, I guarantee you you'll regret it.

Stand By Me for Girls

Author: jay50 from LOndon, England
20 August 2003

This is a cult classic girl movie and i still watch it today. Although I did not enjoy the 'Now' version of the film, where the four girls are grown up and re-uniting, mostly because i feel the characters dont really like eachother anymore, i loved watching the 'then' part with the four girls growing up in 1970's USA. The excellent soundtrack just adds to the uplifting feeling of this film. Watch as we follow Christina Richie and friends growing up through fun times (Devon Sawa getting his clothes stolen) and bad times (Richie finding out how her mum died). Look for an early performance from Brendan Frasier as a soldier back from war, and Thora Birch before she got all serious! Excellent film.

Cute, Wholesome, Family Flick.

Author: Eddie Thomson from Orange County, CA
15 May 2007

This was a great family flick. It was funny and charming. I watched this film with my girlfriend, when she picked it out at Blockbuster I cringed at the fact of having to watch it, but you know, I admit, I enjoyed this film a lot more than I though I was going to. It was cute, the plot was good, it actually kind of reminded me of another fantastic film called "Stand By Me", but in a girl's perspective of course. If you have young children, heck, if you don't have young children, give this one a shot. This is a film I think any Female would probably enjoy. If your a dude, put away all your manly inhibitions for about an hour and a half, don't expect too much going into the film, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cute and fun

Author: Blair Campbell from Perth, Australia
15 March 1999

This is a nice example of a fairly popular genre, the nostalgic growing-up, adventure on the edge of maturity, friendship bonding thing. As already mentioned, the adults are irrelevant and add nothing to the film (not even acting talent). The roles the girls take are all nicely stereo-typical, the princess, the prude, the tom-boy, the 'normal' one - they could have been the Spice Girls! Anyways, if you want to see a cutsie flick that's nostalgic and fairly innoffensive, this could be for you.

Beautifully crafted, but relies totally on subplots. **1/2 (out of four)

Author: Blake French (film321@altavista.com) from USA
12 August 2000

NOW AND THEN / (1995) **1/2 (out of four)

Lesli Linka Glatter's touching drama "Now and Then" is a misguided tale that beautifully captures the many painful and joyful ups and downs of four best friends growing up in the 1970's. Best compared to "Stand By Me" and "Man in the Moon," this tender movie gently touches base with the delicate time period when young girls experience the confusions and emotions that are present in the process of puberty.

The plots happens over the eventful summer of 1970. The film details the lives of four best friends, Samantha (Gaby Hoffmann), Teeny (Thora Birch), Roberta (Christina Ricci), and Chrissy (Ashleigh Aston Moore). During this summer, the girls find it necessary to ware bras for the first time in their lives, a factor in which they have varied feelings. This is also the summer where they discover their town's horrifying secret about a young boy who mysteriously died thirty years ago. Pursuing the girls are the neighbor boys named the Wormers.

The film is told in the present through the girls who are now adults. The adult actresses, including Rosie O'Donnell, Rita Wilson, Demi Moore, and Melanie Griffith, appear only as wraparound bookends to fill the audience's desire to see whom the girls turn out to be. However, they are not examined in enough detail to fulfill these desires.

"Now and Then" filmmakers describe the characters descriptively and vividly with believable character traits like curiosity and lively spirit. They are very well cast by some of Hollywood's biggest names, who perform with a sweet, gentle, fitting attitude. The movie's actors are willing to give more than the script allows.

The problem lies not within character, however, but in plot. The film seems unclear of what it is about, whether it wants to detail the lives of four adolescent girls, discovering the death of Dear Johnny, childhood mischief: the story is so easily distracted. The film persistently adds in unnecessary clichés and predictable character formality involving relationship conflicts and novice romances. Yet at the same time the plot is executed artistically with an enjoyable sense of style and an effective mood along with a soundtrack that is true to the 70's era.

"Now and Then" is the kind of movie that relies entirely on subplots to propel its distracted story line along. I compare the film's structure to that of a deformed tree, where there are plenty of narrative roots and the story branches off in many directions, but it does not have a thick trunk for support.

Good, But Not Great

Author: NotPavlovsDog from United States
2 June 2009

Having just recently watched "Now and Then" again, I decided to check out what other people thought. Reading through a lot of the comments, I noticed that many compared this film to Rob Reiner's "Stand By Me." I guess I would consider the two to be of the same genre (coming of age), but, to me, that's really the only thing the two have in common.

"Now and Then" is a fun film. It's got quick and easy laughs that many (not just teenage girls) people will find humorous. I will say that "Then" is vastly more entertaining than "Now"; the adult versions of the characters briefly open and close the story, with forgettable filler in between. "Then" offers some slight depth of character for the four girls who embody stereotypes of adolescent girls (the princess, the tomboy, the sheltered one, the seemingly normal one). "Now" still embraces those stereotypes (the princess has become an actress, still obsessed with body image; the normal one has become a writer, who showcases her intellect by wearing black and smoking). There is no growth amongst the adults. "Now" is focused on Chrissy's pregnancy and reminiscing, while "Then" seems to get distracted amongst its various subplots (unraveling Crazy Pete, watching parents fight, bicker with boys, watch movies, build a tree house, ride bikes) without ever really coming to a true conclusion.

For a movie hailed as a "Stand By Me" for girls, the film is lacking in its overall sincerity. Whereas Reiner's film grapples (and in some cases overcomes) 'mature' themes like death, acceptance, and separation, Glatter's film skates over the big issues. "Stand By Me" captures true childhood friendship (friends help friends get leeches off their backs) "Now and Then" is only truly poignant, well, now and then.

I'd recommend "Now and Then" for a time when you are in the mood for something lighthearted and distracting. I'd second the opinion that it's great for a girl's sleepover or something. But if you are looking for something a little deeper and, in my opinion, more true to childhood friendship, I'd tell you to skip this movie and go straight to "Stand By Me." Note: "Stand By Me" is rated R; "Now and Then" PG-13. Both films have great soundtracks.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]