IMDb > A Mother's Gift (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Mother's Gift (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great Movie!

Author: catzscamp from United States
5 April 2007

Nancy McKeon is wonderful. I just LOVED this movie. It is a great movie for anyone that enjoys pioneer films. I am looking to see if it is on DVD. You will need a box of tissues. The costumes are top notch. The scenery is beautiful. I recommend this movie for persons over 12. There area few scenes that more than hint adultery. As a parent, that would be their call. It is a very, very good movie. I have not read the book. In the story she finds love, loses love while someone is trying to win her love while married. She gives birth almost alone. Her husband is away. The tissues are for the end. I could watch this movie many more times and I don't say that about too many films!

Skip the movie, read the book.

Author: lillym from United States
24 January 2005

When I didn't realize that one of my favorite books, A Lantern In Her Hand, was being made into a movie until I saw it on TV. This is another case of an adaptation that strays too far from the book and with a few changes could have been an original story. The movie doesn't do justice to the book at all. Nancy McKeon was the wrong choice for Abby. She's a great actress but not right for this part. Some of the decisions they faced as a family and a couple were changed, altering the dynamics between the characters.

My advice is to stay away from the movie and go read the book and the sequel, which is "A White Bird Flying."