IMDb > Magic Island (1995) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Magic Island

Magic Island (V) More at IMDbPro »

A wanna-be-runaway finds more adventure in a book

Author: Catra3610 from United States
2 May 2006

I had forgotten about this movie over several years (by several I mean about 10), until recently.

A couple of days ago, I began to let my mind wander in class and I kept getting hit with these images of exotic beaches, a runaway boy throwing pizza at a sand shark, a pirate and a mermaid, and for the life of me I could not remember where these pictures were coming from. Since I hadn't read a book or seen a movie with a runaway kid and pirates for over 10 years. Once I started thinking about it though, I couldn't get the movie out of my head, so I searched IMDb and found "Magic Island." This was one of my favorite movies when I was younger. While some of the lines are admittedly a little cheesy and the plot is definitely for a younger audience, I can't help but fall in love with it all over again.

It is most definitely a feel good movie. There is no person, child or adult, that hasn't at one point in time wanted to run away and escape the life they are unfortunately stuck in. Magic Island makes you realize that it's okay to be a kid sometimes.

Not to mention that the idea of getting swept onto an island in the Caribbean every time you're upset isn't a bad concept either.

This is definitely a nostalgia movie. One that I'm going to buy for my kids. Definitely a classic.

An all round great film....

Author: Ed Axby from United Kingdom
14 February 2005

This film got really bad reviews in the TV pages I used but when I tuned in by accident I immediately found myself gripped. The plot is weak and the characters shallow and the comedy is absolutely pathetic but still I found myself watching it to the end. This film is a very good piece of entertainment for young and old alike. The two young actors are good and it is only a shame we haven't see Jessie-Ann Friend in more films since. Not only is this film gently gripping and lightly entertaining it is a beautiful story and an uplifting tale. I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who has a couple of hours to spare and just needs the relaxing involvement this film gives.

stupid kid's movie

Author: anonymous from Eastern Massachusetts
8 July 1999

Not really much I can say. I laughed a lot, but not the way I was meant to. I almost died when the mermaid saved Jack