IMDb > The Last Supper (1995/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Supper

The Last Supper More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Made me think, might make you think too! great movie!

Author: allmighty_miller from Northern limey
18 January 2005

A fantastic movie demonstrating the self righteousness of people on the far left and right of the political spectrum: "I'm right, your wrong, end of story". It's very rare that a film which might be described as a political dark comedy shows the faults of people on the right and left who know that they're always right and it demonstrates that there's really no right or wrong (the homophobic priest wishes to kill all gays, but then the students kill him. Who's right and who's wrong? I suppose it depends on who YOU agree with.). I'm left of centre on many domestic social issues, but this movie made me stand back and think "am i sure I'm always right?". People to the far left or right believe in themselves so much that this movie wont change their views, but I treat people people with conflicting views with a bit more respect today. Fantastic movie!

90's Political/Philosophical Dark Drama

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
6 February 2005

This is one of the several dark dramas dealing with political/philosophical issues that seemed to invade the big screen in the 90's. Another prime example but with less heavy drama and more fantasy/comedy is Dogma starring Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. This 1995 film stars several actors that were big names in the 90's - Cameron Diaz, Bill Paxton and Jason Alexander. The story is very dark and bleak indeed. A group of young college-age liberal intellectuals meet daily to discuss the "enemy" that are conservative extremist and anyone they feel are full of "hate". Though well-meaning and clearly sensitive people, they begin to justify a series of murders. These murders are committed as they invite individuals they despise and disagree with politically and philosophically. They poison the wine using a blue decanter. Visually and dramatically, the movie is one of the few good dark movies that came out of the 90's. Art direction in the film seems to gravitate towards symbolic Diego Rivera style art, especially during the opening and closing credits.

I feel that some of these then unknown actors (mainly Cameron Diaz and Bill Paxton) were overly dramatic in their roles but then again they were struggling to get recognized as actors. This was still before Bill Paxton would enjoy success in later films such as "Titanic" in 1997 and also "Twister" which he starred opposite Helen Hunt. Cameron Diaz came on the Hollywood map with "Something About Mary". Even like this, their dramatic acting is logical and believable. The leader of the group of friends is the most brainwashed of the bunch, nearly conducting himself as a cult leader. In a way, this movie looks at how a cult can function. Also this movie is a caution tale: there is possibility for evil in both the extreme conservatism and extreme liberalism. It seems quite appropriate a story for today's divided country. It's sad to say America is losing its democratic roots in favor of an elitist and partisan climate. I found to be a great and poignant movie.

A true hidden gem. Another Paxton triumph

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
22 June 1999

It was a warm summer night and I was in the video store with my girlfriend. " Hey, this movie has that guy Bill Paxton in it, isn't that the guy you like? " I thought I had seen every Paxton movie out there but I was pleasantly surprised that there was one that I hadn't seen. So we rented it and even though Bill has a small cameo in the film, I enjoyed this film more than I thought I would. First the acting by the major actors is incredible and all the cameos by famous faces is fun to watch. Luke ( Courtney B. Vance ) is my favourite character in the movie. He seems to be a little more intelligent, a little more sinister and a little more angry than the rest of them. And it is his persona that I look forward to seeing in every scene. I looked forward to see what he was going to come out with next. What sick, twisted but convincing point of view that he would coerce his cronies into believing.

The story is about a few friends that are liberals at heart. They have their pretentious meals and drink their pretentious wine every night and talk about what is wrong with the world. Then Paxton comes into the picture and he changes everything.

This film didn't get a whole lot of attention when it came out, but now with Paxton's star clearly on the rise after Titanic and A Simple Plan and Cameron Diaz in the upper echelon of actresses, this film may appeal to more people. And you should do yourself a favour and make yourself one of those people. This is a great film. And besides the entertainment value, it really has something interesting to say. Deciding whether or not you agree with it is half the fun.

"I say we bury the cracker and have dessert."

Author: fdpedro from Miami, Florida
26 June 2004

It's hard to review politically-themed movies without bringing out your political ideology. So here we go: Like the characters in this film, I am a liberal. THE LAST SUPPER deals with five idealistic left-wing college students who are also roommates. Their names? Jude (Cameron Diaz), Marc (Jonathan Penner), Luke (Courtney B. Vance), Paulie (Annabelle Girsh), and Pete (Ron Eldard). Get it? Jude, Marc, Luke, Paulie, and Pete? Last Supper?

Well, with these elements of symbolism aside, here is the concept of the film: A bunch of liberals inviting conservatives for communal dinners and killing them after the slightest disagreement! How many people here can honestly say they never thought of that? When the film opens, four of the friends are waiting for the last one (Pete) to arrive during a dark, stormy night. Meanwhile, they religiously watch a conservative political figure (Ron Perlman) on television like they usually do. When Pete finally arrives, he invites Zack (Bill Paxton) the trucker that gave him a ride to dinner. But during the feast, a political discussion starts burning up. Zack is a right-wing extremist who fought on Desert Storm ("Was that even a war? I always thought it was a Republican propaganda.") and thinks Hitler was right about many things. When the discussion turns into a series of puns exchanged between Luke and Zack, a violent struggle ensues with Zack eventually being stabbed in the back. Soon, the friends start reacting to the murder on their different ways. Paulie is in hysterics, Luke keeps his calm cold-blooded figure, and Jude remains sarcastic. ("People disappear all the time." "Especially in Iowa, we probably just saved him from an alien abduction.")

After covering up the body, the five apostles decide to repeat the process. Luke has an interesting concept: If you could go back in time and kill Hitler when he was a frustrated student, would you do it? And so begins the body count: Their guests usually consist of the kind of pathetic people one left-winger usually hates. One of them is a homophobe priest (Charles Durning) who affirms homosexuality is the disease and AIDS is the cure. Can you really blame these people for wanting to poison the fellow? This scene is incredibly well done, from the first-rate dialogue exchange from the students to Charles Durning's perfectly timed acting. Annabelle Girsh's hilarious death sentence just has to be seen. ("I think it's time for dessert.")

As the group continues to "make the world a better place," their victims start to become less and less threatening from a date rapist (Mark Harmon) to a spoiled teenager (Bryn Erin) who sues her school because they are making sexual education mandatory. Unfortunately, none of these scenes end up having the same dramatic (and comic) impact as the first two because they are unbelievably brief, leaving the audience gasping for more. The film soon endures the machine gun-editing technique of putting up about 30 scenes in six minutes set to a carefully-selected pop tune in order to sell the soundtrack.

There is a subplot involving the disappearance of a young girl who is being searched by the local police department headed by Sheriff Stanley (Nora Durnn) which look like they belong to a different and more serious movie. This is actually unusual since you would expect the goofier moments to come from an ex-SNL cast member. Or should you? The answer as to why these scenes are even in there comes much later on in the film. Frankly, Nora Durnn's scenes (Not counting the ones where she actually interacts with the students) could have all used some cuts.

Character interaction could cause another serious pet-peeve to audiences who relate to the people on-screen. The only character who seriously remains constant throughout the entire picture is Luke, while the others all seem to switch personalities. In one scene, Paulie is extremely against the killings while Judy is totally for it. But later on (In one of the film's funniest sequences) the actresses seem to switch roles. A hysterical Judy ends up screaming out that they shouldn't be killing people while Paulie coldly replies: "They are not people, they are people who hate!" The Pete character is seriously undeveloped while Marc is hardly any better.

The film does eventually pick up with the very last victim they choose, which I won't spoil. Not counting the suspenseful showdown, nothing really happens during the last 15 minutes but dialogue exchange in the dinner table bringing up usual liberal vs. conservative topics, and there is where the movie truly shines like it did with the beginning. It's a shame it had to end, really. Conservatives bashed this film as the ultimate proof that liberals run Hollywood, not realizing the film does defend them to one extent. It doesn't matter how "fun" the characters' concept seems to be, it's still sick and it goes against one of the major freedoms that liberals should be defending: The freedom of speech.

Out of the film's then-unknown lead actors, the only one that really made it to be a star is obviously Cameron Diaz. But no matter how underdeveloped the characterization is, all the actors are able to keep us entertaining. Courtney B. Vance and Ron Perlman seem to own the film during the last moments. As for the dinner-guests, they end up being more well-known cameos. Aside from Durning, Harmon, and Paxton, get ready to see Jason Alexander having a (short) blast as an anti-environmentalist businessman.

THE LAST SUPPER is still one strong freedom of speech defense argument well-directed by Stacey Tile who heads up an interesting young cast and a well-done premise. Had the film remained in the dinner table more often, it could have been easily one of my favorite black comedies. Now… wouldn't this be interesting as an actual thriller?

(3.5/5)

Well worth a gander

Author: hayden-8 from Port Elizabeth, South Africa
20 May 2002

This is a film that can be viewed on two levels.

The first level is that of a straightforward black comedy. Five liberal students, who think they have the answers to all the world's ills, have their comfortable world invaded by a redneck racist who is invited in for supper after coming to the aid of one of the students when he has car trouble. Naturally there is a clash of politics and, after a violent argument, the racist is accidentally killed. They decide to bury him in their garden instead of reporting the killing. What follows is a continuation of an earlier debate they had been having; would people be justified in murdering someone if they knew he was evil? Their answer is yes, and soon they are inviting other rightwingers for an evening of dinner, debate and death. On the first level the film is okay.

It is on the second, more cerebral level, that the film really succeeds. The great irony is that the liberals become intolerant, revealing the dangers of political correctness and the very real possibility of a left-wing police state in which alternative views are crushed in the name liberal values.

A good soundtrack, some sparkling cameos by the dinner guests, and a knockout performance by Ron Perlman as the conservative commentator make this largely overlooked comedy well worth a gander.

Wicked black political satire

Author: BadWebDiver from Perth, Australia
7 August 2002

This is a wicked black political satire of some left-wing intellectuals who decide to strike against right-wing "extremists". It has an excellent cast, especially with Courtney B Vance, Ron Perlman, and Cameron Diaz (who is a real surprise).

It also has a brilliantly witty script, like a 90s Oscar Wilde or George B Shaw with more sharper bite. I thought the setup and the climax were particularly effective, especially at handling complex political questions with an easy-to watch and a very engaging approach(which I have to say IMHO is rare for American movies). A totally professional production all round. This is the way smart independent films should be, and it's a shame not all of them are this clever or perceptive.

Obviously not meant for all tastes, but if you're fairly open-minded and like intelligent dark satire, this is a real treat.

I love the ending!

Author: http-www-nixflix-com from USA
3 February 2002

I must say, I'm not what you would call a liberal. I'm a Democrat, but I don't consider myself one of those "limousine liberal" -- re: rich, white middle-class people who have never endured poverty in their live, and yet somehow can "feel" for those currentlys uffering. Yeah, right!

All that side, this is a wickedly funny movie and completely unpredictable. I love the intense scenes with the cop and when the liberals start to contemplate rather they should kill or not kill their dinner "guests." it's just great stuff!

Imagine, all these "tolerant" liberals sitting around judging people on what they say and starting to actually LIKE killing. Pretty soon they're killing because of the power of killing, not because they want to "rid the world of evil" -- which, ironically, they've become, since they're knocking off everyone and their mom, including the cop, who is just doing her job.

As the saying goes, "I can't tolerate intolerable people!"

And stay for the ending. It's a KILLER! Ron Perlman is GREAT.

Witty and provocative

Author: troutio from London, UK
26 March 2002

Cerebral, subversive, intelligent, knowing, and thought-provoking, The Last Supper is one of the highlights of my video collection. It is also archly funny, for those who like their humour black and strong. The performances from the ensemble cast (even Diaz, who you might have thought was there for box office alone) are uniformly superb, and the director uses clever imagery and other visual tools to help the story along, lifting it above what could otherwise have been a simplistic cinematic piece. Ron Perlman's boisterous conservative steals the show expertly, and you are left laughing and shuddering with equal measure for a long time after the credits roll. Recommended to everyone with a brain.

A frustrating, confused, sometimes amusing black comedy!

Author: Da reel loves her 4ever from Wherever love guides this lost soul...
30 June 2002

This film works on some levels, but fails on some as well. The major flaw is that it gives us no one to root for, and we are faces with these so called anti heros who we are meant to feel something for! The second flaw is that I found that in most cases, I agreed with the person they were 'doing in' over themselves - It is never a good sign in a movie when you like the so called bad guy more than the anti heroes!

The film plays like a stage play, and I was surprised to learn it was just made for film! It would be great at a live show, but is too slow and boring to take up 90 minutes of screen time! The film is ok, but nothing worth writing home about!

Quite refreshing

Author: Demarates from Antwerpen, Belgium
11 April 2001

A very nice film, that shocks you yet amuses you at the same time. A few familiar faces Bill Paxton, Ron Pearlman and the yummy Cameron Diaz, although everyone in the cast does a good job.

I went to see it in a sneak preview (so did not know what I was gonna get) and it turned out to be an excellent choice. A must see.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]