IMDb > Born to Be Wild (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Born to Be Wild More at IMDbPro »

the end made me cry

Author: sarajeanne30 from Canada
25 June 2006

I love this movie. It's really good in showing the bond very powerful bond between animals and humans. Rick is 14 turning 15 in this movie and he knows that this very intelligent gorilla(Katie) should be free and not miss treated in a cage. There are a lot of depth and meaning to this movie and it's not just about saving the gorillas. The best part of the movie is definitely after Katie falls in the water and that Rick's talks about his dad and how he left. I love the continuum to this because at the end of the movie when Rick lets Katie in Hawaii she asks him if he's a father now because he won't come back. This is a great movie that everyone can enjoy young and old.(I'm 14 and the end made me cry)

Fantastic!

Author: (brandon_boydian) from United Kingdom
2 March 2006

This movie is fantastic. Very moving film about the relationship between humans and animals that a lot of people can quite easily relate to. Katie (the gorilla) is an intelligent creature who creates a strong bond with a troubled teenager (Rick) that takes them on an adventure neither would ever forget. And as for Wizard-8 saying "the gorilla costume isn't very convincing", Katie was in fact played by a live gorilla. They may be strong, powerful creatures, but they are also very intelligent and are able to perform once trained. And Wizard-8 also said "I think only very young children might get some enjoyment from this - everyone else, stay away", and this is also false - I am 21 and still enjoy this film. It's a fantastic story well worth seeing!

Underrated family film.

Author: EraserheadDr from United States
10 June 2008

I watched this film about when it came out, maybe a year later. But this film fits in with the other family films by warner brothers like, "The Amazing Panda Adventure" and "Free Willy". This film is my favorite family film in the mid 90's.

The story is about a teenager named Rick Heller who meets a gorilla that his mother's experimenting on, and he starts to notice that she can communicate with the gorilla. So, the real owner of the gorilla takes her away, and Rick wants to see her again and setting her free by the Canadian border.

So Rick steals her from a flea market and escapes with the gorilla. Rick is now a suspect and is being careful not to get caught. The rest of the story is just brilliant. You gotta watch this film if you like family films.

But the ending really sad and great at the same time. I expected more comments on this film, but I suppose it isn't that great of film back then, but I will sure remember it.

When You Want to Set Your Friend is a 400 Pound Gorilla, Free, Where Will You Go? Anywhere She Wants to!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
3 February 2003

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Fourteen year old Rick Heller just can't seem to stay out of trouble. Today he was running from the police in his mother's car. It seemed like Rick was a troublemaker these days ever since his father walked out on he and his mother. His mom, Margaret, put him to work cleaning the lab. See, she was a professor at the University of Northern California and currently the animal in the lab was a gorilla named Katie that was captured two years ago. Katie and Rick don't get off to a good start, but gradually, they begin a friendship. Katie's previous owner, Gus Charnley, was facing trouble. His gorilla, Bobo, who performed for the kids at Gus's flea market unexpectidly died. So Charnley decided to take back Katie. Margaret had a lease but Charnley refused to extend it and instead demanded the gorilla back. Rick was very upset when he heard this. Katie was also upset about her new surroundings: a cage, being stared at by people every day. Rick knew she was upset and made a plan to break her out. That night, he crept in, broke open Katie's cage and the two outwit two bumbling security guards, jump in Margaret's university van and drive off.

They stop at Rick's friend Lacey Carr's house for help. Her father didn't like Rick at all. Lacey suggested taking Katie to Canada where they'd be safe from cops and Charnley. Lacey told Rick her uncle Max who lived in Washington could help. She gave them money and supplies and then Rick and Katie hit the road. Katie wouldn't stop fidgeting and began to get on Rick's nerves. They stop at a convenience store and while Rick goes in to buy the bare essentials, Katie accidentally puts the van in reverse and goes backing down a hill. Rick races after the van and a deputy races after him. Luckily the van came to a stop when it hit a tree. The deputy almost discovered Katie but she luckily hid outside. So Rick and Katie get back in the van and keep going. It wasn't long before the media got word of this. Charnley offered a $10,000 reward for their capture and shortly after this, Rick and Katie's faces were on every news stand in the nation. Rick and Katie stop at Enormoburger for some chow, unfortunately Katie scared the teller, grabbed a hamburger and they drove off. Rick went hungry because most of the food was left at the restaurant and Katie refused to share. They had stopped at the beach where Katie finds she can't swim. The next day, they are chased by hillbillies who saw their pictures in the paper so they ride out to the middle of the river in a boat. The day was Rick's 15th birthday and his dad had promised to take him boating on his 15th birthday so everything was going perfectly!

Katie and Rick hitch a ride from local joke merchant, Dwayne, and he takes them all the way to Max Carr's house. Max was somewhat paranoid and a bit of a weirdo, but he reluctantly takes in Rick and a sick Katie. Luckily Katie get's better because the chief of police/ paramedic Bob stopped by and cured her. Lacey soon arrived to help. In the morning, the feds showed up. Luckily Max, Lacey, Rick and Katie escaped in Max's van. The police chase them. They run for a while then Rick get's an idea. He sacrifices himself to the police so the rest could get to the border. Rick's trial was soon on. It wasn't going good, the in come Max, Lacey and Katie. It was Katie's idea! So after hearing both sides, the judge declares Rick guilty of breaking and entering but also appoints him Katie's legal guardian. Charnley wasn't happy. Margaret, Rick and Katie go to a primate convention in Hawaii where Rick decrees that Katie should be set free into the wild, so after a tearful goodbye, Rick and Katie depart from one another. Rick promises to return and visit someday.

A good film! Wonderful family entertainment. Wil Horneff was good, so was Helen Shaver, Peter Boyle, John C. McGinley and Jean Barnwell. If you liked E.T. and Free Willy, I think you will enjoy Born to Be Wild! It's got adventure, comedy and drama. All the good qualities a good movie contains. Anyway, if you enjoy these kinds of movies, then by all means, Born to Be Wild is your movie!

Can't really say whether it's good or bad

Author: The_Light_Triton (Black_triton14@hotmail.com) from In a Chair in my room
2 March 2009

I can't really say whether i wanna blast this movie to pieces or to congratulate it for giving me a bad image of police when i was 5 years old. every time i see a cop now, i think back to this film and think every cop is bad. thats sad, really. if the news won't brainwash your 5 year old child into thinking cops are the bad guys, then this movie will.

It's another one of those animal/teenager friendship films. you might consider it the flipper or gentle giant of it's time, but it might also compare to movies like Free Willy and Andre.

I give it 5/10...and a big slap to the face for giving me a permanent bad image of cops that I shall never forget.

Understandable

Author: Vegita from G-Burg
28 August 1999

I know that most of this movie is fake but you have to understand that the plot is nice and it really wakes people up to animal cruelty. After reading Congo, by Michael Crichton, I just had to watch this movie once more and I'm glad I did. Most people think that gorrillas are just huge beasts who'll kill anything that gets in their way. On the contrary, chimpanzees are even more ferocious than gorrillas and will eat human children in the wild. That gives you something to think about when you watch this movie, which I really recommend

Excellent family film!!!!!!!

Author: Roguexmn55 from Alabama
24 March 2002

This film is great for the entire family. You will smile, laugh, and even cry together. Excellent bonding between man and animal! Courtroom scenes are dramatic but also funny. Even animals know the difference between right and wrong, as Katie brings her opinions to be known.

Extremely predictable

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
4 September 1999

If a kid actually did the same things with a gorilla that the kid in this movie does, he'd quickly get his limbs ripped off - primates are EXTREMELY STRONG animals. In fact, seeing this kid get ripped apart would be more entertaining than anything that happens in this movie. Awesomely manipulative, cardboard characters, and VERY predictable - you'll be able to guess what happens before it actually comes onscreen. And the gorilla costume isn't very convincing. I think only very young children might get some enjoyment from this - everyone else, stay away!

One of the worst films of all time...

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
11 January 2004

Simply awful. Stunning. A man in a gorilla suit makes friends with a troublemaking teen who learns to love the gorilla and tries to free it. "Free Willy" meets "Larger Than Life," only it's worse than both put together (or subtracted from each other). John Billingsley ("Out of Time") has a small role.

0/5.