IMDb > Jack & Sarah (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Jack & Sarah

Jack & Sarah More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Sweet little film deserves more attention.

Author: Doctor_Bombay from Lucas Buck, NC
13 February 1999

I knew little about Jack and Sarah the first time I saw it-it did little or no business in the theatres. In fact, my reason to choose it was based solely on Samantha Mathis being in it. When I see her on the screen, I get a nice, warm glow. Samantha Mathis is a doll, as she is in this film.

But pleasantly, surprisingly, the film itself is a little doll as well..

I didn't know I'd also be getting Dame Judi Dench, and Ian McEllen (in a wonderful performance), but there they were, no extra charge.

The theme of the film stumbles once and awhile through some very difficult territory-young urban exec loses his wife during childbirth and is forced to reexamine his life, and rediscover the meaning of love through this beautiful little girl. And the help of an assortment of well-meaning misfits, of course.

Richard E Grant does a marvelous job as Jack, who recreates himself, and betters himself, against all odds.

A sweet little movie worth seeing.

Cute as a button

Author: spinbunny from London, Ontario
11 January 2003

A total chick flick (gotta admit) but just cute cute cute.

An american woman falls into a nanny job for a recent Brit widower and finds herself over her head --- in love with the baby, and the dad.

Funny performance by Richard E. Grant, Ian McKellan, Judy Dench (always a gem!) and Samantha Mathis. Life is just a series of mishaps, conflicts and comedy for this Yank in London until she finds love (what else would we expect) --- a good way to spend a Saturday night in front of the boob-toob --- do not expect to be enlightened but do expect some laughter and tears --- it is romantic and emotional (his secretary is a hoot, his boss is a bitch who you love to see dumped on her tight snooty ass!) --- a nice two hours to spend coming away with a smile!

Bought it at a video store closing sale, and am now quite glad.

Author: Jigglypoof from Sydney, Nova Scotia
16 October 2002

This is an excellent romance novel come to life... almost as though it's an adaptation. It could very well be. I've seen many films about babies and parenting, but this one is truly unique in its scope.

You'll coo, or at the very least smile, as he gently comforts and kisses the baby... you'll laugh at the comedic elements, and feel the same intensity of emotion in pain and sympathy. The performances are truly outstanding.

To think that I bought this movie because the premise sounded good, and left it sitting around for months, only to watch it last night with my partner and be blown away.

Don't pass this off as a chick flick, either. I think it's also meant to appeal to the paternal feelings in every man. Just enough little twists and turns to keep you guessing, too.

Adventures in babysitting

Author: jotix100 from New York
26 April 2005

"Jack and Sarah", the delightful comedy directed by Tim Sullivan, was shown recently on cable. The appeal of the film lies largely in the fabulous cast that was put together. Mr. Sullivan delivers a 'feel good' movie that will warm hearts for viewers of all ages.

When Jack's wife dies, suddenly, he is left alone with an infant girl. Jack has no clue about what to do with the baby. His life goes into a tailspin. Enter his kind parents and former mother-in-law. They all have ideas about what to do with Sarah, but Jack ends up resenting their interference. That's when he has the bright idea of getting a nanny for little Sarah.

Amy, the girl he hires, is probably the wrong kind for the job. Little does Jack know, Amy doesn't have a clue about children, let alone, how to handle them. The only thing that is clear is that Amy loves her little charge. Amy and Sarah seem to have been made for one another. Jack warms up to the babysitter and they find one another in love because of Sarah.

Richard E. Grant is a versatile actor. He is tremendously appealing as the confused father of a baby he was not prepared to handle. Samantha Mathis makes an endearing Amy, the girl that steals Jack's heart. Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, Ian McKellen are seen in in supporting roles that add great charm to the film.

This is a fun film thanks to Tim Sullivan.

A good romantic comedic movie.

Author: cmyklefty from Philadelphia
5 November 2001

Jack and Sarah is about a man who suddenly loses his wife and instantly becomes a single father. A series of mishaps and conflicts happen when he put his life in order to find a nanny for his child. The performances through out the movie is excellent. I do not mind watch this movie again.

amazing

Author: Shonagh-2 from United Kingdom
29 January 2005

This film, the first time i saw it had me laughing crying and raging with anger all at the same moment! Throughout the whole film you feel like you know jack and sarah (baby. It hilarious when he wakes up to find sarah next to him! i will never forget this film even if it is for the simple fact that its had me feeling every emotion possible all at the same time! To mention the soundtrack i think it's really good and unlike other films it the songs suit the scenes they are played in. Like the song when sarah is a tiny baby and her father (jack) get up in the middle of the night to see her and ends up swaying,to a song which i don't know the name of! with sarah on his chest. That scene brings me to tears every time is see it! this is a must see!

Heart-Warming

Author: Rick Blaine from London
8 June 2001

This movie start getting promos about the same time as French Kiss but was held back for release in my area of the world presumably because of the Ryan/Klein comedy which local powers felt would steal its audience. Some half year later I was invited to a preview showing. Most of the audience were little old ladies from 30 on upwards - not that the audience was consistently old, but it definitely had that kind of feeling. The experience was also unique in that the movie got a standing ovation at the end. It's just a comedy, but it's more than that too: It's a very heart-warming comedy, and to my way of thinking is all that the British 'Jurassic Park' (Four Weddings and a Funeral) was supposed to be - very British, but a lot better view. Critics say it's Grant which provides the surprise element, as he never reveals what is coming next, but there are a lot of cute plot twists here as well - not in the least the final closing titles scene.

Richard Grant shines in this little gem

Author: almharet from connecticut, US
2 March 2002

I would just like to say first that I think Richard E. Grant is an amazing actor. Subtley versatile, captivating, and in my opinion, rather good looking. Okay, moving on to the actual film... Jack and Sarah is the story of a man (Grant) whose wife/girlfriend (they never seem to tell you which) dies giving birth to their daughter. In his grief, he must decide whether to give up on life and in to his drinking addiction, or else to make a comeback and take care of his now motherless child. I think we're all very happy with the result. What I was really charmed by was the realistic and tender way Grant presented his character. Here is a man, not superhuman, not faultless, and a man who has lost the person he loved most in his life. He also is so adorable with the baby Sarah (I loved their little bath scene!).

Plus, if it is absolutely to bring an American into it (the only spoiler I can find here) then Samantha Mathis is certainly a beautiful and charming choice. And let me not discount Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Eileen Atkins, and David Swift as the older friends and family who set out to guide Jack on his journey of fatherhood and, eventually, second love. McKellen is particularly good as the good natured bum from the skip(dumpster). A real gem! I give it a 10!

usually played as a filler on channel 4 in the uk - lovely film

Author: pamilne (pamilne@btinternet.com) from UK
15 January 2002

As with many of the comments previously - it is a film normally stumbled upon by accident, ever so slow and girly at the start, it quickly develops into a lovely heart warmingly (and dare i say as a male - ever so slightly tear starting...) tale. Richard grant shows full emotions (especially during the breakdown) and as ever dame Judi (!) and sir Ian (!) play flawless roles. The yank who id never heard off also contributes substantially to a generally 'warm your cockles film'

painfully contrived

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
29 December 2004

I spent an hour hoping this movie was going to finally get in gear before deciding it just wasn't going to happen. It has its moments, but the story is ridiculous, as are the actions of the characters, the humor is mild and the drama is maudlin. While the main problem is the drab script and pedestrian direction, the movie is also harmed by Mathis' performance. This is not to say that she is particularly bad, but she is not warm and loving and charming to make the film's absurd premise work. She seemed kind of ordinary, and that is exactly what the role does not call for. I like Grant, and he's decent in this, although I think he only really shines in more prickly roles. This just doesn't make it.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]