IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

90s cyber-punk cult classic for the Nintendo generation

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
28 January 2013

Hackers is one of the original 90s hacker-slacker tech-geek movies off the back of, and updated, eighties' Matthew Broderick classics like Ferris Beuller and Wargames etc and early 90s films like Sneakers. It is stylized, not true of "real" hacking and the graphics and images (using city streets and building to represent circuitry), similar in look to some cyber parts of Johnny Mnemonic which was out the same year as well as a few other films from around the same time. It's a sexy, funny, much quotable romp with a sub-plot of romance. The main plot is mega-corporation conspiracy to hold tankers to ransom using a computer virus called Da Vinci and it's some College 'elite' hackers vs the FBI to be first to solve who is to blame and clear those who are innocent. Jonny Lee Miller is the hero of the piece and is gorgeous and confident, playing it cool and smooth opposite a young (and already stunning) Angelina Jolie often sans appropriate underwear. She is haughty and cold, and for only her first major film role completely sizzled. The chemistry between her and Miller was smoking, in art as in life.

Overall the acting is a little overplayed and I feel that much of the film was tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously, almost like a comic-strip adaptation. All the characters in the "gang" are larger than life from the extremely weird and intelligence-ambiguous Matthew Lillard as Cereal Killer (as in fruit loops) to the hyper 'boy wonder' Jesse Bradford as underdog-wanting-recognition Joey. Fisher Stevens plays manchild with boytoys 'The Freak' and does the role with crazy eccentricity and hubris together with his equally crazy partner in crime Margo (Lorraine Bracco) who is terminally hammy and over-the-over-the-top of everyone else but in a rather wooden and unconvincing kind of way. Look out for a young Penn Jillette (as in Penn and Teller). It's a great 90s film with a fab soundrack and wardrobe, especially Crash and Burn (Miller and Jolie), and a really exciting finale. However, whilst I like it a lot I don't think it aged well to appeal to a wider generation, but it remains a favourite of mine, which I watch every now and again for giggles and to bring back memories. That all said, the stand out message from this film is most certainly: "Spandex, it's a privilege, not a right!"

Love this movie!!!

Author: residentevil6901 from United States
7 December 2012

I have read most the reviews on here which there is a lot of good and bad people are saying. I can see where the bad reviews are coming from but I just don't get how some people just can't simply watch a movie and just appreciate it for what it is? Entertainment. . . . . I watch this movie at a minimum a few times per year and never get sick of it.

It's great to watch some of the actors in their earlier roles, it almost has an 80's look to it with some of the clothes they wear, I connected with it when it came out due to I was similar in age. Maybe that's why I still like it today because I saw it when I was much younger. It is very silly and not accurate at times but I didn't watch it for it's authenticity of hacker / computer terms, I watched it because it looked like a fun movie and I was right.

Matthew Lillard's character had me rolling a few times and when they mess with the secret service agent in charge of catching them was great. Reminded me of being young and messing with someone in similar ways. The soundtrack is excellent, it made the movie for me. I bought it and listen to it more then I watch the movie.

I give any movie I watch a 10 if it ends up being a movie that I can watch over and over and can put it into the "if you were stranded on a desert island what movies would you want with you" category! This is definitely one of those movies for me, but I am easily entertained when I watch a movie. It has to be a boring slow movie like He Said, She Said for me to hate it! "It's leopard boy . . . . and the Decepticons!"

Hackers is a great movie.. at least it is very significant for people preteens/teens of the 90s

Author: ryoga_hibiki from Mexico
4 June 2012

What can I say about hackers.. even at the time I knew that most of the stuff was exaggerated or completely fake except for the phreaking scene and even that was kind of outdated by the time the movie came out.. but still I hold this movie in very high regards.

The crew that selected the actors knew what they were doing and the soundtrack endorsed by German company Edel which had the licensing muscle to get all this great music together is just flawless and introduced a lot of people to "electronica"

This movie is very significant for many people that were on their teens/preteens back in the 90s, one element that I think contributed to that is that it totally nailed it in regards to the concept of the outcast or nerd becoming the hero of the day, surely nowadays it is very common but back in the day it wasn't a widespread concept except for comedic values, so when this came out it really resonated with a lot of people, you could be the "new cool" without giving in to the mainstream and it was truly inspiring in that respect.

Overall I think this is one of the greatest movies of the 90s even with all its cheesiness, with the inaccurate portrayal of technology, and somewhat over the top dialogue that comes from time to time, it is one of those movies that remind you were you come from and are part of yourself forever, and that is a really big statement to do so believe me this movie must be damn good.

The Hacker Ethic

Author: Ricky Haas (saahdrahcir) from United States
16 April 2011

If you stumbled upon this title solely because you saw Angelina Jolie was in it, you will get to witness the cute Jolie before the full-blown sexy Jolie you experienced in "Gia" and everything thereafter (and you geeks will like the storyline too!). The film itself plays out very much like a cyber-thriller that collided with a high school teen comedy— with less sex and nudity; however, there is a split-second of what could be considered nudity in Dade's dream with Angelina Jolie, but who could blame him.

Characters in this film are unbelievable. It's not that they are bad, just strange. For instance, it is hard to believe that a gorgeous girl such as Kate (Joli) could be a computer nerd, second of all, that Matthew Lillard's character, Cereal Killer, could be that eccentric. I'm not quite sure why, but Cereal acts like a Jack Sparrow on LSD. And, ultimately, the story is a bit hard to believe as well yet fear not, my fellow movie gurus, the film is awesome.

The opening scene sets up the mood automatically. You know this is going to be a serious film (Lorraine Bracco of "The Sopranos" is in it) and at the same time, you know you're going to laugh at it (Penn Jillete of Vegas' Penn and Teller duo is also in it); except, I don't know what to say or how you should feel about singer Marc Anthony, who randomly plays a government agent in this movie. The truth is, you pretty much know what you're going to get with director Iain Softly ("K-PAX," "The Skeleton Key," and "Inkheart") and writer Rafael Moreu of "The Rage: Carrie 2."

My only beef with the film is that several characters randomly disappear towards the middle of the movie and never comeback. Other than that, I loved it, and so will you. It makes me wonder, what do you think Dade and his crew would do is WikiLeaks and Facebook existed back in 1995? The movie might have been called "The Social Network." (LOL)

Watch this movie; you will not be disappointed. It is a great flick and certainly deserving of your time.

The Gibson? It's been HACKED? Lassie! Go for help!

Author: Rook Roulette (rookroulette@yahoo.com) from United States
14 May 2010

Oh no! An exploitation film didn't get the info right? This is a greasy, wax paper wrapped, corner stand delight of a movie. Sure it isn't accurate by any length on the tech but how else would one purvey the "action" of computers to the general public in NINETEEN NINETY FIVE? It's dated, it's cheesy, and it's a bit over the top. But it's fun and not so serious, colorful and nerdy while making you cringe at the janky (90's lingo) one liner's and ridicules antics. Oh and the sweeeeet pagers.

Just enjoy it for what it is and stop whining. Payphones are an endangered species you know.

Great Time Capsule!

Author: matthewcs25 from United States
30 January 2010

Hackers creates a wonderful picture of life in the mid-90s. This was the time period in which the World Wide Web was becoming such a huge deal. It was when people had this in their homes and were open to all sorts of ideas and people soon learned they could exploit it.

The characters in this movie were the hackers that were so prevalent in the 90s. This movie showed the world the underground culture of this group of people. The action that was involved in the movie as well as the dynamics between the characters is fun to watch. All of them do a wonderful job, including a young Angelina Jolie, shown before she became a part of Brangelina. This movie is out of date, but that is part of the beauty of it now. Think of it as a 90s version of War Games.

Unrealistic But Fun Movie!

Author: sedativchunk from United States
2 October 2009

I've never seen or heard of this movie until today when it was on HBO. Being a modern age computer programmer and website developer (who also knows quite a bit about how "hacking" works), this movie is right up my alley.

First off, I will talk about the negatives, as I usually like to attack them first before getting to the good stuff. The hacking process, the 15 computer monitors, the 3D interfaces, the cool clothes, the groups of friends who are computer hackers... none of that exist in the real world of hacking. Hacking takes several hours and months to learn how to do. Most hackers make lame, poorly coded programs in Visual Studio to make computer viruses with and to hack websites, emails, and programs with. They do not hack into big government programs and create global threats with their skills. To the positives of this movie now.

The theme of this movie fits perfect! The electronic music, the colors of the movie, the cool decked out computers, and the computer lingo, it all fits the modern computer age perfectly. The movie definitely caught my attention, and I think anyone else who is into computers or works with them for a living will enjoy the movie.

I don't got much more to say except that this movie is a good rental. Just don't take it too seriously!

Entertaining '90s movie.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
31 July 2009

Despite being somewhat of a hit, "Hackers" is a cult classic, featuring a younger Angelina Jolie. Having just watched it recently, I didn't even now it was her until the end credits rolled in; surprised I was. Any how, that's not only the good thing about this film. There's a lot of entertainment value to be had here and the actors involved turn in a above average performance. Don't expect something along the lines of Shakespeare, this is just a fun little movie to relax and kick back to on a boring Saturday afternoon but above all that, the film gives us a vague glimpse of the power of technology and how it can be used for good and evil purposes. The main villain is simply wacky with a campy, tongue-in-cheek persona that works really well with the film. At the time, the Internet was really all the rage since it first appeared in our lives 17 years ago. "Hackers" may be a cartoon but it's a cartoon with depth.

A very cool tech movie for a change

Author: coolnes20 from Victor, New York
26 July 2009

I loved this movie and I really don't have anything bad to say about it. Well maybe the costumes, I wouldn't be caught dead in any of that crap. I noticed some of you saying that the "hacking" performed in the movie isn't realistic and that it couldn't be done. You gotta love the naive. Unless you have an intranet any computer can be hacked because the codes are written by humans which means there are flaws. Now some of the hacking setups in the movie don't make sense that's true but never underestimate the "keyboard cowboys". The storyline wasn't great but I still think this movie was better than "The Net" which was as Hollywood as you could get. Hackers will continue to inspire kids to learn "C" and "Perl" "Lisp" "Java" etc. and for that I give it an 8. Of course I take away two points because it will inspire kids who will no doubt try to hack using Windows or other closed source systems.

not totally real but good

Author: scarlegs from Netherlands
24 September 2008

OK the movie is 90% of with the computer stuff but if you would learn to think outside of the damn governmental and media boxes you would know that real hackers are people that solve problems rater then make them. the only time a hacker will make a problem is when the damn people wont listen to there warnings. that's for the present day but if you look in the past the real hackers are guys like Steve woz. because of there way of thinking we now have power full computers at home. he was at that time hacking the known computers to see if he could get more out of it. now read this. hackers are not the trouble makers crackers and script kiddies are.