IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Government vs. Hackers... the main theme.

Author: Harry Woolley from Vancouver, British Columbia
8 October 1998

This is the only movie I have seen that has showed that hackers are not the bad guys. It showed how hapless the Secret Service is with technology. The government throws hackers into the same prison cells as rapists, and murderers (in real life), and the movie did show how unjust the justice system can be in this respect. Curiosity should not be a crime. The film did not go into details of how to hack, (which would bore the average viewer) but did show some of the activities and paraphernalia that hackers use. The movie was very upbeat and has a good soundtrack. There is a bit of romance, but that was not the focus of the movie. The movie also shows how some big corporations can be unethical, and how the government often will take the side of the one with the most money often resulting in pay-offs of some sort. A must see for any computer junkie.

Cool movie - that's all to say =)

Author: Christian Hansen from Grenaa, Denmark
27 September 1998

Here in Denmark it has become a cult movie among computer freaks - and it is a cool movie =)

Romance set against an attempt by a corrupt corporate security officer to embezzle millions from an oil company.

Author: Jerriko from Seattle, WA
17 August 1998

The director of Hackers, Iain Softly, is better known for his other movies, BackBeat and The Wings of a Dove. These are both complicated and wonderful romances set against fascinating circumstances. When the average movie-goer sees Hackers, however, s/he don't see a romance,s/he sees a youth-oriented computer-adventure movie. What this person misses, however, is that the evil plot set in motion by The Plague, portrayed by Fisher Stevens, and the hacking sub-culture of urban New York are not the main focus, but merely a setting for the romance between Dade Murphy (Johnny Lee Miller), and Kate Libby (Angelina Jolie). This is a shame, because not only is this a wonderful movie when viewed in that light, it is one of the most compelling love stories ever documented on film. Titanic looks like Resevoir Dogs in comparison. Though some of the dialogue is downright corny, and the villains are notably one-dimensional, Hackers deserved better than it got. Plus, the soundtrack rocks, so there's that too.

Vacuous moronic tripe for computer dweebs

Author: Sean Kaye from Canada
24 November 2013

I watched this today because it was on cable and all I can say is it was TERRIBLE! REALLY, REALLY TERRIBLE!! It is yet another cheezeball Kalifornia take on "the future", the future in the eyes of some sleezball movie producers trying to cash in on some boring segment of society (hacker kids?) that they totally did't know anything about but wanted to make a few bucks off of because they heard it was "the next big thing".

The 'costumes' are so effected, the acting is terrible, Angelina Jolie is here, 20 years old and playing a troubled teenager and her acting is garbage. I've never thought anything of her but now I think even less. Not to rag on her because she's never been anything more than what she was in this movie: some kid who thought she was an actress.

I can't believe the woman who played the shrink on the Sopranos had to lower herself to be in this piece of garbage. How sad.

Silly graphics Silly story but hot young Angelina Jolie

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 September 2013

Dade (Jonny Lee Miller) is a young hacker who got caught when he was younger. He's in yet another new school, and soon he's fallen for Kate (Angelina Jolie). Little did he know, she's an elite hacker also. Together with other hackers, they intend to stop a security expert (Fisher Stevens) from stealing a big stash of cash and hide it by sinking oil tankers thru a computer virus.

The story is kinda silly, the clothes are stupid, and the graphics is ridiculously silly. At least there's some cool music, and a hot young Angelina Jolie. No wonder Jonny Lee Miller put a ring on it. I guess there's some cult status value in this movie.

90s cyber-punk cult classic for the Nintendo generation

Author: HelenMary from London, UK
28 January 2013

Hackers is one of the original 90s hacker-slacker tech-geek movies off the back of, and updated, eighties' Matthew Broderick classics like Ferris Beuller and Wargames etc and early 90s films like Sneakers. It is stylized, not true of "real" hacking and the graphics and images (using city streets and building to represent circuitry), similar in look to some cyber parts of Johnny Mnemonic which was out the same year as well as a few other films from around the same time. It's a sexy, funny, much quotable romp with a sub-plot of romance. The main plot is mega-corporation conspiracy to hold tankers to ransom using a computer virus called Da Vinci and it's some College 'elite' hackers vs the FBI to be first to solve who is to blame and clear those who are innocent. Jonny Lee Miller is the hero of the piece and is gorgeous and confident, playing it cool and smooth opposite a young (and already stunning) Angelina Jolie often sans appropriate underwear. She is haughty and cold, and for only her first major film role completely sizzled. The chemistry between her and Miller was smoking, in art as in life.

Overall the acting is a little overplayed and I feel that much of the film was tongue in cheek and not to be taken seriously, almost like a comic-strip adaptation. All the characters in the "gang" are larger than life from the extremely weird and intelligence-ambiguous Matthew Lillard as Cereal Killer (as in fruit loops) to the hyper 'boy wonder' Jesse Bradford as underdog-wanting-recognition Joey. Fisher Stevens plays manchild with boytoys 'The Freak' and does the role with crazy eccentricity and hubris together with his equally crazy partner in crime Margo (Lorraine Bracco) who is terminally hammy and over-the-over-the-top of everyone else but in a rather wooden and unconvincing kind of way. Look out for a young Penn Jillette (as in Penn and Teller). It's a great 90s film with a fab soundrack and wardrobe, especially Crash and Burn (Miller and Jolie), and a really exciting finale. However, whilst I like it a lot I don't think it aged well to appeal to a wider generation, but it remains a favourite of mine, which I watch every now and again for giggles and to bring back memories. That all said, the stand out message from this film is most certainly: "Spandex, it's a privilege, not a right!"

Love this movie!!!

Author: residentevil6901 from United States
7 December 2012

I have read most the reviews on here which there is a lot of good and bad people are saying. I can see where the bad reviews are coming from but I just don't get how some people just can't simply watch a movie and just appreciate it for what it is? Entertainment. . . . . I watch this movie at a minimum a few times per year and never get sick of it.

It's great to watch some of the actors in their earlier roles, it almost has an 80's look to it with some of the clothes they wear, I connected with it when it came out due to I was similar in age. Maybe that's why I still like it today because I saw it when I was much younger. It is very silly and not accurate at times but I didn't watch it for it's authenticity of hacker / computer terms, I watched it because it looked like a fun movie and I was right.

Matthew Lillard's character had me rolling a few times and when they mess with the secret service agent in charge of catching them was great. Reminded me of being young and messing with someone in similar ways. The soundtrack is excellent, it made the movie for me. I bought it and listen to it more then I watch the movie.

I give any movie I watch a 10 if it ends up being a movie that I can watch over and over and can put it into the "if you were stranded on a desert island what movies would you want with you" category! This is definitely one of those movies for me, but I am easily entertained when I watch a movie. It has to be a boring slow movie like He Said, She Said for me to hate it! "It's leopard boy . . . . and the Decepticons!"

Hackers is a great movie.. at least it is very significant for people preteens/teens of the 90s

Author: ryoga_hibiki from Mexico
4 June 2012

What can I say about hackers.. even at the time I knew that most of the stuff was exaggerated or completely fake except for the phreaking scene and even that was kind of outdated by the time the movie came out.. but still I hold this movie in very high regards.

The crew that selected the actors knew what they were doing and the soundtrack endorsed by German company Edel which had the licensing muscle to get all this great music together is just flawless and introduced a lot of people to "electronica"

This movie is very significant for many people that were on their teens/preteens back in the 90s, one element that I think contributed to that is that it totally nailed it in regards to the concept of the outcast or nerd becoming the hero of the day, surely nowadays it is very common but back in the day it wasn't a widespread concept except for comedic values, so when this came out it really resonated with a lot of people, you could be the "new cool" without giving in to the mainstream and it was truly inspiring in that respect.

Overall I think this is one of the greatest movies of the 90s even with all its cheesiness, with the inaccurate portrayal of technology, and somewhat over the top dialogue that comes from time to time, it is one of those movies that remind you were you come from and are part of yourself forever, and that is a really big statement to do so believe me this movie must be damn good.

The Hacker Ethic

Author: Ricky Haas (saahdrahcir) from United States
16 April 2011

If you stumbled upon this title solely because you saw Angelina Jolie was in it, you will get to witness the cute Jolie before the full-blown sexy Jolie you experienced in "Gia" and everything thereafter (and you geeks will like the storyline too!). The film itself plays out very much like a cyber-thriller that collided with a high school teen comedy— with less sex and nudity; however, there is a split-second of what could be considered nudity in Dade's dream with Angelina Jolie, but who could blame him.

Characters in this film are unbelievable. It's not that they are bad, just strange. For instance, it is hard to believe that a gorgeous girl such as Kate (Joli) could be a computer nerd, second of all, that Matthew Lillard's character, Cereal Killer, could be that eccentric. I'm not quite sure why, but Cereal acts like a Jack Sparrow on LSD. And, ultimately, the story is a bit hard to believe as well yet fear not, my fellow movie gurus, the film is awesome.

The opening scene sets up the mood automatically. You know this is going to be a serious film (Lorraine Bracco of "The Sopranos" is in it) and at the same time, you know you're going to laugh at it (Penn Jillete of Vegas' Penn and Teller duo is also in it); except, I don't know what to say or how you should feel about singer Marc Anthony, who randomly plays a government agent in this movie. The truth is, you pretty much know what you're going to get with director Iain Softly ("K-PAX," "The Skeleton Key," and "Inkheart") and writer Rafael Moreu of "The Rage: Carrie 2."

My only beef with the film is that several characters randomly disappear towards the middle of the movie and never comeback. Other than that, I loved it, and so will you. It makes me wonder, what do you think Dade and his crew would do is WikiLeaks and Facebook existed back in 1995? The movie might have been called "The Social Network." (LOL)

Watch this movie; you will not be disappointed. It is a great flick and certainly deserving of your time.

The Gibson? It's been HACKED? Lassie! Go for help!

Author: Rook Roulette (rookroulette@yahoo.com) from United States
14 May 2010

Oh no! An exploitation film didn't get the info right? This is a greasy, wax paper wrapped, corner stand delight of a movie. Sure it isn't accurate by any length on the tech but how else would one purvey the "action" of computers to the general public in NINETEEN NINETY FIVE? It's dated, it's cheesy, and it's a bit over the top. But it's fun and not so serious, colorful and nerdy while making you cringe at the janky (90's lingo) one liner's and ridicules antics. Oh and the sweeeeet pagers.

Just enjoy it for what it is and stop whining. Payphones are an endangered species you know.