IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A good concept poorly, poorly researched

Author: Dan (dan.glegg@u.genie.co.uk) from Eastbourne, England
25 March 2000

This film had a lot of potential, but unfortunately wasted it on trying to be "trendy" and becoming overly commercial.

A film about hackers was always going to be a bit corny, as with all films about underground cultures, but the casting of teenage mac users as digital demi-gods was far too stupid to think about.

Watching this movie, i got the feeling that the film's researchers had spent a day or two visiting hacking sites on the net and had thought "hey, this looks cool" to certain techniques.

This film could have been so much more convincing had the filmmakers put a lot more research into finding out which parts of the script were impossible, improbable or downright dumb.

Ferris Bueller

Author: LeaMac
23 February 2000

The most interesting thing about Hackers is that Jonny Lee Miller is doing an impersonation of Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller. He must have studied that movie to get his American accent! He does a great job with his voice and mannerisms. I almost thought it was Matthew Broderick at times. Miller has him down.

More focus on the Miller and Angelina Jolie characters would have made this movie more watchable. I wouldn't recommend it, except to watch them.

Cyberpunk Classic

Author: TheFishy from Virginia, USA
22 January 2000

In a genre that isn't supposed to be grinding out flicks with the quality of "Citizen Kane" it's easy to call this a classic in the genre that is cyberpunk. I mean, sure if you think about it really hard this movie has some pure stupidity in it. All those real hacker nerds see this movie and are like "OH THATS SO UNREAL". Who cares?

"Hackers" is what I concider a cult classic. Killer soundtrack, loads of entertainment, future stars in Matthew Lillard and the foxy Angelina Jolie. And its just plan fun fun fun.

So much of this movie is awesome. Its just plain awesome what can I say? Its got awesome sets, cool clothes, neato graphics and edits, cheesy villains, hot girls, skateboarding, late night hacking, comedy and best of all....its a nerd movie wrapped up in this wholesome whoopass package that makes this an instant cult and cyberpunk classic.

I give it **** of ****. And if your not convinced to see it yet, consider it a teenagers version of "The Matrix" with even more of that "cyberpunky" feel and just as much fun and entertainment.

Good Review.

Author: nikkigrrl (twin_chx@hotmail.com) from Arizona
4 January 2000

HACKERS is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I can watch it over and over again and still NOT get tired of it! I own this movie and I just love it! I don't know how to describe why... It could be the storyline, or the characters(Who can resist Jonny Lee Miller & Angelina Jolie!?), the acting or even the setting that keep me captivated with it! Who really knows! And seriously... Who really cares!? Basically, it's just a really enjoyable movie!

I would definitely recommend HACKERS to anyone! On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 20!

Let's pray on the uninformed, shall we?

Author: Michael D. Garcia (otaking) from Silicon Valley, CA
21 December 1999

The information held within this movie was inaccurate, putting it mildly. But most moviegoers aren't all that interested in technical detail, unless you happen to work and live in the heart of Silicon Valley, such as myself.

The movie's only saving grace is the on-screen chemistry between Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller (who ended up getting married, btw). Look for the 'beginning of the weirdness' in the acting career for Matthew Lillard.

In conclusion, Hackers is a fun, mindless jaunt into a poor excuse for cyberpunk. Rent it if you're bored, watch it on cable if nothing else good is on.

Fun show, but missing something.

Author: ynque from the Wall of a Berg
9 December 1999

Although a lot of people seem to get into this movie--the person who showed it to me dubbed it a "classic"--it is not the wonder that many profess it to be.

Certainly, it's entertaining; I liken it to a youth-based cross between Tron and The Matrix. Still, the lavish (almost excessive) visual effects and the stereotypically outlandish appearance of the characters does not rescue flat, also stereotyped characters and a much-recycled plot. The "romance" manages to be both predictable and unbelievable; the action follows the exact same pattern as every other youth-friendly adventure movie that came out of the 1980s.

Amazingly enough, the catchphrase "Crash and Burn" did not turn out to be a prophetic statement about the future of the film, which is a lot better than it could have been. Despite all the qualities of a Grade-A turkey, the show still manages to be fun and interesting enough to hold the viewer's attention. Go ahead and watch this (now hopelessly outdated) movie; just don't expect too much of it.

Apart from the Matrix, its the best cyberpunk film around!!

Author: Michael (joe_storm@hotmail.com) from Ireland
6 August 1999

as I said... Apart from the Matrix, its the best cyberpunk film around and no other cheap johnny Mnemonic rubbish film can copy the true hacker! The music, the actors and the computer action makes the film one of its kind.

Interesting

Author: Robert Will from London, England
20 July 1999

I came across Hackers on the TV on one evening. I gave the movie a score of 6 but I would have liked to give it more. The great thing about the movie of the quality of acting by the two leads. I thought very highly of Jonny Lee Millar role and good acting but what really got my attention was Angelina Jolie for her amazing acting and looks. This meant the two leads had a great chemistry. I also like the way it was shot and a very well thought out soundtrack, for that reason I could have given it 8, but. The script was poor, making the film after the first hour unbelieveable and the making the villans one dimension (very flat). But overall interesting.

Great movie if you love computers!

Author: shatha from Dubai
20 July 1999

This movie is hilarious! I loved it... But I can't say that it's one of the greatest. If you love computers, you'll find lots of things to laugh about, if you don't, then... :) Don't watch it.

The movie started out really well, but ended badly.

In general, if you're bored and don't know what to watch, this movie is the movie to watch.

A fast paced cyber-drama

Author: comix8 from Columbus, Ohio
14 March 1999

The film is often misread as another cheesy teen drama that uses smoke and mirrors to get your attention and then lets you leave the theater disappointed. Once you get passed the surface of cheap dialogue and flashy gimmicks, you see that the movie has a deeper meaning. Whether it's the bond formed between the new kid and the established hackers or it's hearing the hacker manifesto, this movie has something that everyone will enjoy seeing. While it isn't the greatest movie ever made, it is one of those movies that you can feel good about watching every other week when there is nothing else on. Also, you may want to pay attention to Kate Libby (Angelina Jolie) since this is one of her first big movies and she is rocketing up the list of greatest new actresses. Her role in this film, while fantastic, is nothing compared to what you will see in her more recent work, such as Gia and Playing By Heart.