IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Things changes

Author: sartodellestar from Turin, Italy
6 April 2001

This movie sign the change on the way to think about the 'computer freaks'. Up to this moment, there was the "Revenge_of_the_Nerds_type". The final step of this evolution is Matrix. Between them it was: Hackers. Great film, good actors (Angelina Jolie is soooo sexy in this movie!). A XX_century_must_to_see.

so-so start off, lousy climax

Author: neogamer from Tokyo, Japan
28 March 2001

nice try on how the writers try to incooperate the hacking society into a movie, but the climax is dumb. it became a lame comedy or cheap sci-fi from there. I guess the writers dont really know how the real world works

Lovable Movie

Author: danielaine from United States
26 March 2001

Not a great film, and certainly far from accurate. But nonetheless a very enjoyable, humorous look at the "hacker".

Excellent as a source of entertainment

Author: reverendpat (reverendpat@home.com) from Indiana
13 January 2001

First off, to all those "hackers" out there who saw this and were unhappy about the realism of this movie; get a life. If you look at a computer ad from 1995 now, you would complain that it was stupid since "the Pentium 200 is not the fastest processor you'll ever need." I mean really; does this movie portray hackers better than MTV did? Definately. Does it do better then the media? Yep. Does it make the hackers themselves into stereotypical geeks from "Revenge of the Nerds?" No. What do you really expect from Hollywood?

This movie was entertaining and gave the general idea of what hacking is about. That is the freedom of information. I'm not saying that it could not have been better or it is even close to my favorite movie. All I'm trying to say is that it's the best that's going to be around for anytime soon. Back to you "hackers," though, how would you make it better? By showing hacking in its true form, just sitting in front of a monitor typing in commands and the like? Try making a movie out of that! Please realize that the general public has to be able to understand the movie, and if that means that all they can say about RISC processors is that "RISC is good..." then so be it.

I'm sorry to be on such an offensive here, it's just that there are too many stupid people who go see certain movies expecting them to be something that they aren't and were never supposed to be and then writing scathing reviews that are pointless and stupid. Anyway, to get to the point, I'd give this movie about a 8/10. If you ever wanted to know a bit about the philosophy of hackers themselves, this will give you a general idea, although (if you haven't understood a word I've said already) it does NOT make you an expert or even begin to explain the technical aspects of this hobby.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have a good argument or something like that, don't hesitate to email me. -Patrick Drake

Power

Author: rabbit91 from Victoria, British Columbia
11 April 2000

The stuff going on in the background of this movie is more exciting than the foreground in most movies. Brilliant dialogue and accent masking. An excellent example of a hip movie that I like. Rating: one of my favorites. *****

A good concept poorly, poorly researched

Author: Dan (dan.glegg@u.genie.co.uk) from Eastbourne, England
25 March 2000

This film had a lot of potential, but unfortunately wasted it on trying to be "trendy" and becoming overly commercial.

A film about hackers was always going to be a bit corny, as with all films about underground cultures, but the casting of teenage mac users as digital demi-gods was far too stupid to think about.

Watching this movie, i got the feeling that the film's researchers had spent a day or two visiting hacking sites on the net and had thought "hey, this looks cool" to certain techniques.

This film could have been so much more convincing had the filmmakers put a lot more research into finding out which parts of the script were impossible, improbable or downright dumb.

Ferris Bueller

Author: LeaMac
23 February 2000

The most interesting thing about Hackers is that Jonny Lee Miller is doing an impersonation of Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller. He must have studied that movie to get his American accent! He does a great job with his voice and mannerisms. I almost thought it was Matthew Broderick at times. Miller has him down.

More focus on the Miller and Angelina Jolie characters would have made this movie more watchable. I wouldn't recommend it, except to watch them.

Cyberpunk Classic

Author: TheFishy from Virginia, USA
22 January 2000

In a genre that isn't supposed to be grinding out flicks with the quality of "Citizen Kane" it's easy to call this a classic in the genre that is cyberpunk. I mean, sure if you think about it really hard this movie has some pure stupidity in it. All those real hacker nerds see this movie and are like "OH THATS SO UNREAL". Who cares?

"Hackers" is what I concider a cult classic. Killer soundtrack, loads of entertainment, future stars in Matthew Lillard and the foxy Angelina Jolie. And its just plan fun fun fun.

So much of this movie is awesome. Its just plain awesome what can I say? Its got awesome sets, cool clothes, neato graphics and edits, cheesy villains, hot girls, skateboarding, late night hacking, comedy and best of all....its a nerd movie wrapped up in this wholesome whoopass package that makes this an instant cult and cyberpunk classic.

I give it **** of ****. And if your not convinced to see it yet, consider it a teenagers version of "The Matrix" with even more of that "cyberpunky" feel and just as much fun and entertainment.

Good Review.

Author: nikkigrrl (twin_chx@hotmail.com) from Arizona
4 January 2000

HACKERS is one of the best movies I have ever seen. I can watch it over and over again and still NOT get tired of it! I own this movie and I just love it! I don't know how to describe why... It could be the storyline, or the characters(Who can resist Jonny Lee Miller & Angelina Jolie!?), the acting or even the setting that keep me captivated with it! Who really knows! And seriously... Who really cares!? Basically, it's just a really enjoyable movie!

I would definitely recommend HACKERS to anyone! On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 20!

Let's pray on the uninformed, shall we?

Author: Michael D. Garcia (otaking) from Silicon Valley, CA
21 December 1999

The information held within this movie was inaccurate, putting it mildly. But most moviegoers aren't all that interested in technical detail, unless you happen to work and live in the heart of Silicon Valley, such as myself.

The movie's only saving grace is the on-screen chemistry between Angelina Jolie and Jonny Lee Miller (who ended up getting married, btw). Look for the 'beginning of the weirdness' in the acting career for Matthew Lillard.

In conclusion, Hackers is a fun, mindless jaunt into a poor excuse for cyberpunk. Rent it if you're bored, watch it on cable if nothing else good is on.