IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Not too good, but watchable

Author: Kujack from NY
5 January 2003

No movie will ever get hacking right. Obviously, nobody wants to see some kid sitting at a UNIX terminal for hours on end. However Operation Takedown (another movie about hacking) definitely does it allot better. The stupid flashy onscreen text, excessively outlandish (often stupid) characters, and the overt use of computer jargon (probably used to gain some shard of credibility), especially the word Elite, bothered me, but not as much as the fact that Angelina Jolie manages to not be (extremely) hot in this movie. That is simply a crime against humanity.

Jokes aside, the movie was decent. I was able to sit through it and enjoy it, though I hardly consider it a movie worth buying. If you're a geek (like me) you can rent it (or download it, if you are truly 1337) (jk) for a if you want to see a movie [SPOILER] about how a hacker gets laid (after all, that is the most important part of the of the movie).

Not realistic with a reason

Author: bmpc
2 January 2003

Well this isn't a realistic movie, but you don't want to see a realistic hacking film. Why not? Because it isn't cool to watch someone type code on a text editor, or type on a command line. And that's probably why "Hackers" was done with in this visual, non-realistic, eye candy way. You don't see a directory structure in a command line. They show it with a 3D look. Another sequence that shows this is the one at the party where they all stare at the laptop, and it's screen saver. It's eye candy to avoid the public from running away from it.

If they did a realistic hacking movie, it would probably be very boring. This wasn't done to please those with enough computer knowledge to know that it isn't realistic, but to please a more general audience, with little computer knowledge.

With all this in mind, in order to enjoy "Hackers", one should not expect to see a great movie or a realistic approach to the world of computer security experts. Don't take it seriously. If you do, you'll probably rate it very low. If you don't maybe you will have some fun.

They did choose a good soundtrack.

I'll give it a 5.5 (5 in imdb's rating) out of 10.

Not accurate, but fun!

Author: aleroy from Kentucky
21 November 2002

When I first saw this movie, I was really upset by all the things these so-called "Hackers" do. Most of the movie is fake (Hacking from the top of the Empire State Building, using a Minicassette recorder to get free long-distance phone calls, and the "3d" effect of the Gibson supercomputer.) You can't hack from the top of the Empire State Building for three reasons. 1. No phone lines. 2. No wireless network. 3. You can't go to the top of the Empire State Building. You can't use a minicassette recorder to get long-distance phone calls. You could in the 80's by using a blue box, but since all phone systems are digital now it's impossible. And, third and most unbelievable of all; the "3d" effect of the Gibson supercomputer. First of all, if this was a company server it would most likely be running UNIX, Linux, Solaris or some other variant. The "3d" effect was bizarre, but I guess it wouldn't be very exciting to watch them hack from a Command Line. =) After I got over these and other inconsistencies, I just watched the film for fun and an escape. It's pretty cool. I give it 8/10.

Love, sex, secret, god...

Author: CoenRem from Eindhoven
6 November 2002

These are the four most commonly used passwords. I love this line!

The film is about a bunch of computer whizzkids who try to save the world from the evel hacker who wants to play havoc with a couple of oil tankers.... Uhmmm - Well, let's just say that the story is NOT the reason why this is a memorable movie!

No, it's the atmosphere of this flick that really captures you! It's the hardcore soundtrack from The Prodigy, it's the energy with which the characters play there roles: they were clearly having a great time!

And it hasn't even dated too much! *(made in 1995)

Great fun: a pure thrill-ride!

A well deserved vote: 8

This is crap. But it's fun.

Author: kosugi from Finland
28 October 2002

This movie is fun with its cheesy and stylized view on computers and hacking, but fails in terms of character-development, storytelling, plot and everything else.

Apparently you can hack everything. Not just government databases like in other movies, but everything, whatever needs to be hacked, can be hacked, it doesn't even need an internet-connection (in one scene, lead role Zero-Cool hacks the sprinkler-system in his school) and all the l33t hackerkids use 3D internetbrowsers. Things like this is what makes this movie so fun.

I can recommend Hackers to those who have some basic knowledge of computers, because they are the only ones who can enjoy it.

Cool Cyberpunk film

Author: ParanoidAndroidMarvin from U.K./U.S.
11 October 2002

If you're a hard-line computer geek, you're probably not going to like hackers. You'll say it's unrealisitic, cheesy and doesn't give the hacker culture the respect it deserves. Or something like that. Now, if you're not one of those that needs absolute realism, love cyberpunk/computer movies and can enjoy a light-hearted approach to things, then Hackers is a must see. It's also one of Angelina Jolie's first movies, so if you're a fan of hers be sure to check it out. The soundtrack is also a great aspect of the film. Watch it, love it.

a cheesy classic, awesome soundtrack

Author: Dave Cortz (davecortz@hotmail.com) from boston, ma
5 June 2002

The dialog is infantile, ladden with non sequiturs and techno-buzzwords that border on being ridiculous: it's be so sweet to hack a gibson. The idea that hackers are such good-looking, well-dressed hipster/ravers is equally absurd. However, this movie is a total feel-good classic. The soundtrack is a major highpoint for the film, drawing from some of the best psuedo-mainstream trip-hop, electronic, and techno of the early to mid 90s. Oribtal's Halcyon in the intro credits still gives me shivers and nostalgia. The cast is cool too, with early sighting of Sick Boy from trainspotting (John Lee Miller), Angelina Jolie, and Matthew Lillard (Scream and other teenie movies).

Dumb, but so what.

Author: amedrano
5 February 2002

I avoided this film for a long time because of all the flack it got from critics, not to mention the poor box office. Later on, I read a positive review from Roger Ebert. This got my attention, so I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. This a fun, albeit brainless, little film that deserved better recognition. What's it about? Well....(Spoilers Ahead) In 1988, an 11 year old (that's right, 11) named Dade crashes a whole bunch of Wall Street computers, and is denied the right to a use computer until his 18th birthday. Cut to 17 years later, and Dade (now played by the terrific Johnny Lee Miller) is up to his old tricks. He soon falls in with a crowd of hackers and meets Kate (Angelina Jolie), and the two of them begin the usual movie foreplay. Everyone's having fun at first, but then things get serious. It seems that a business man and "former" hacker (Fisher Stevens) has created a disastrous virus (which is actually a cover for a fraudulent worm program) and has decided to frame the hackers for it. So, Dade and the rest of the hackers set out to stop the virus and clear their names. End Summary. Sure this film has it's problems: the obviously false computer technology and the fact that no one (particularly the adults) can tell that Stevens is a bad guy when it's so obvious. No matter. This movie is so fun, that's easy to overlook any of it's lapses in logic. What's more, it's well acted and the characters are believable. I highly recommend "Hackers".

Great Movie

Author: TheCrow4892 from Rockland, ME
11 January 2002

I have seen this movie and I have to say that it is the best hacker movie there is. Watching this made me want to learn more about the hacking world. I realize that this movie isn't very factual, but it makes hacking seem fun. I think Angelina Jolie gave a great performance like she always does in her films. Mathew Lillard also played a good Cereal Killer. They could not have cast anyone better than him. Johnny Lee Miller gave the performance of a lifetime. From the revenge scene when he said "The pool must have a leak" to Libby. That was a classic scene that was funny also.

Oh Dear...

Author: saugoof from Melbourne, Australia
25 December 2001

Crikey, this was bad!

I can see how this movie got started in a Hollywood meeting: "We need to have a youth hit" "Well, teenagers like computers, I read something about computer hackers in the paper" "Cool, we'll throw in a love story"

This would be as much research as they put into it. I can suspend my disbelief quite a bit but there are enough impossibilities and technical errors to make Plan 9 from outer space look like a documentary.

It doesn't end there though. The plot is a rehash of dozens of other movies and the "new kid at school gets the girl in the end" story has been done more times than I had hot dinners. Besides, what are a bunch of people who look mostly well past 20 doing in high school?

One thing about it though, it's entertaining to watch. In a large part due to it being in the "So bad, it's funny" class.