IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 23: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

pure fiction

Author: BlkScorp from Los Angeles, CA
8 May 1999

Funny how I enjoy this movie... perhaps because it inspired a career in computer science and engineering. Which is extremely amusing, now that I know half the feats depicted in the movie are pure fiction.

Angelina Jolie, the sexiest hacker alive!

Author: manjodude
21 May 2011

Zero Cool! This is a neat movie on the crazy world of hackers, although there's lot more Hollywood in it than realistic portrayal. Nevertheless, the story is told in an interesting fashion that you don't get bored with any of the computer jargon that keep flying at you from all the characters!

A very young Angelina Jolie is also looking very hot in here. None of the other characters remain in our minds except for also Matthew Lillard as the goofy "Cereal Killer". And even Fisher Stevens as the mean computer security officer Eugene was good.

Maybe they could have toned down on the showing of PC chips, circuity & all that. It gave me a slight headache.

Verdict: Forget learning some lessons on hacking. Just sit back and watch Jolie :)

Hollywood's version of a computer film

Author: mikestlt from United States
30 July 2006

Cliché is the key word here. The computers that have no basis in reality, except for a few screen shots from Macintoshes; the "kooky" hacker types who wear Battlestar Galactica-inspired jackets and New-Wavey clothes; the evil villain and his secret-service style minions; the edgy attraction (are they gonna get together by the end?) between the two main characters, etc. Stylistically, it doesn't even seem relevant to mid-90's hacker culture at all. One wonders if there was any research involved in the script. The computer operating systems are more like Tron then what they really should be, which is a bunch of Windows or Unix machines with boring information displayed in a pedestrian and boring manner on regular CRT's. The plot is very predictable and lacks any suspense. You know how it's going to turn out. This would have made an OK made-for-television flick.

hackers don't like the film because...

Author: bradley54-1 from United Kingdom
7 March 2006

hackers see this film and are annoyed with how easy it makes hacking seem. It annoys them because they think that people who see it think that hacking is as easy as it is in the film. In reality this is not the case and hackers either feel under appreciated by the majority of people or wish that hacking is indeed as easy as shown in the film.

I think that this film is OK but i also think that it should not glorify hacking and could cause misconceptions about the hacker mindset and values. The villain in the film was also stereotypical and quite average.

Sl8ta

Not so much edited as hacked...

Author: imdb2003 from London, UK
7 April 2005

This film is a perfect demonstration that pretty young things and slick camera work can do nothing to retrieve a hollow, disjointed, plot less script. A real disappointment.

A young Angelina Jolie is dusky, cute and pouty, as only she can be. Jonny Lee Miller - born in my neck of the woods - is sullen and pouty. Matthew Lillard - possibly the most prolific of the principal actors - is plain bizarre. The set design and photography make at times for a near comic-book experience, which suited the material perfectly. And yet none of this saves the film from dreadful writing.

No story, pointless (and meaningless) technodrivel, lots of pretty graphics, and a bunch of kids strutting around in some bizarre costume designer's idea of "cyber trendy", and absolutely no substance. So much potential wasted. Frankly you'd be better off watching War Games. At least that had a story...

Words can not begin to describe how terrible this movie is...

Author: t3k_9 from New York
16 August 2000

I recently got the pleasure of watching this a couple times between the Sci-Fi Channel and USA, and finally got to understand how people could speak so against this movie. Everything about this movie was blown out of proportion. First, the 'hackers' were stereotypical cyberpunks that wear futuristic clothes. I am yet to meet ANYONE who dresses like that, and why wasn't I suprised to see Dade sitting in front of his computer with sunglasses... in a dark room. Then came the computers themselves, nothing about them was realistic in any sense. This put me in a different mind state, this was not a movie that had anything to do with computers really, this was a movie meant for teens who live off MTV and pop-culture... A long drawn out "action" flick that doubled as an advertisement for its soundtrack. But then I was quickly turned around with the mentioning of the Rainbow Books (those colored books they were talking about at the table (when Dade was first introduced I believe) for those who don't know), and the talk about Unix and everything. Okay, so maybe this movie isn't so bad I thought. Then it was back to the same technically innacurate bland pseudo-action. Joey was the only character in the movie I liked. And did they really need to throw in the evil system administrator coming up to the computer on a skateboard? Please. Then there's the whole virus thing from the payphones "They're infecting us with a rabbit virus!" "Give it a flu-shot!". Say WHAT? Is this hackers, or some low budget horror film on Mystery Science Theatre gone bad? Oh, wait, it's still hackers. This movie should be taken for what it is, an advertisement for it's soundtrack. For some real cyber-thrills, go rent WarGames.

Compelling Subject Matter, Wasted With Cheesy Plot

Author: great_sphinx_42 from The Poppy Field, OZ 69666
21 June 1999

I think this is a movie that can only be described as mediocre. It's not embarrassingly bad, but it's far from great. First, it's good points: energy, hackers make intriguing subjects, and fairly interesting, likable protagonists. It's bad points: a "Superman"-like plot master-minded by a supremely cheesy villain. The effects got annoying after a while, and there was plenty of "information" about computers that was not accurate. I"m not sorry I saw it, but I wish someone would make a movie that would be a correct portrayal of hackers. Then again, computer technology goes so fast that such a movie would likely be very dated before its release.

A right old Jolie

Author: Alex Brown (alex_brown@blueyonder.co.uk) from Woking, England
30 December 2001

More like a very young Angelina Jolie stars in hackers, a tale of a bunch of kids who hack into systems and networks for fun.

It does drag on a bit, but there's some good performances, a perfectly respectable script and some good directing. Unlike other computer films, this isn't full of too much BS and some of the technical stuff is believable -- nice change!

It's pure gold.

Author: dnbkelevra from Mexico
15 June 2017

The story is simple, but I think this film has a lots of 90s spirit, the clothes and the soundtrack are amazing, just people who born or lived their teenage life in the 90s would love this film.... the acting isn't bad, and the cast it's really good, I think this film has potential.

One of the best, it has helped me become who I am

Author: Derek Snyder from USA
12 May 2017

When you watch this movie, watch it with an open mind and visualize what is going on. Sure hacking is nothing like it looks in this movie, and it is bashed so much for that. But I can promise you that if you watch a movie about hacking and the general public watches sometime types hundreds of lines of code... well, they would fall asleep. So watch it knowing that to a hacker, this is what it looks like in their mind, its beautiful and elegant. The actors were on point, and the special affects were good for its time frame release.

The love, hate, love relationship is great, and I completely recommend it for a watch if you haven't already.