IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Compelling Subject Matter, Wasted With Cheesy Plot

Author: great_sphinx_42 from The Poppy Field, OZ 69666
21 June 1999

I think this is a movie that can only be described as mediocre. It's not embarrassingly bad, but it's far from great. First, it's good points: energy, hackers make intriguing subjects, and fairly interesting, likable protagonists. It's bad points: a "Superman"-like plot master-minded by a supremely cheesy villain. The effects got annoying after a while, and there was plenty of "information" about computers that was not accurate. I"m not sorry I saw it, but I wish someone would make a movie that would be a correct portrayal of hackers. Then again, computer technology goes so fast that such a movie would likely be very dated before its release.

Underrated and magnificently done! Angelina shines.

Author: PessimisticGrace (PessimisticGrace@aol.com) from Calfornia
27 August 2001

When I went in to watch Hackers, I was worried because some of

the reviews here.

I don't think we saw the same movie. From scene one, I was

surprised the characters were teenagers. I knew Angelina was

only 19 or 20 when she did this movie, but I hadn't realized that

until I saw it.

The romance and interaction between Angelina's character and

Jonny's is classic. Really. It's great. When they're arguing or

fighting or dreaming about each other spitefully, it's fun to watch

their little denying their attraction and criticizing one another. Before

Angelina Jolie, I did not have a favorite actress. I knew actresses I

liked several films of, but hated others.

Angelina Jolie is different. She's my favorite actress now. It's not

because she's pretty, although she is. It's because she has a

magnetism, charisma and draw that I've never before seen in an

actress of the 90's. This shows through in her portrayal of Kate

"Acid Burn" Libby. She's cocky and difficult, with a rebel charm

we've seen in many of this star's movies. If you love Angelina Jolie

for reasons OTHER than how large her chest is or nudity, please

see this. The performance may not have been academy award

winning, but it's a great performance. Very fun to see where she

started out.

The rest of the performances are also very good. Jonny's Dade

has a puppy dog charm, in that you feel sorry for him and can't help

but laugh when things don't go his way. He is in no way Mr. Deep,

but he's smart with a funny exterior.

Matthew Lillard never fails to make me laugh, and he's prominent

with his pigtailed braids and goofing off.

I must give kudos to the villain. Sure, nothing unpredictable or new.

But he's positively funny. "Never fear, I is here." And arrogant and

quirky.

I loved the special effects. I loved the plot. I loved the premise. I

loved the romantic relationship between Kate and Dade.

This is not an academy award winning movie. It's not extremely

dramatic or epic. But it sure is a GOOD movie. It's fun, it's a

comedy, it's a drama, and it's just great to watch. I very much

enjoyed the technology used, and the entire movie as a whole

made me smile.

If you are looking for an epic movie of high proportions with big

name actors and a hole-less plot, stay away.

But if you're looking for a movie that will make you smile at the

antics of the multi-dimensional characters and their escapades

and problems, set in a technological world and featuring a cute

teenage romance, go see it.

And if you love Angelina's acting, appeal, charisma and gorgeous

smile, don't see it. BUY IT. I know I will.

Wonderful movie

Author: (erik_davidsson_2000) from Sweden
10 April 2004

As the title of the movie says, it is about hackers. But its not "bad" hackers, its about a few young kids that use their computer knowledge to survive, a way of their lifestyle. All is well until they get framed and blamed. Then they get back at the people who framed them. This is not your average movie about people who's framed and then they plan a revenge. No this is a different movie, a different feeling all along through the movie. Its kind of hard to explain...... This is one of the best movies i have ever seen....anyway. All through the movie there's this cool feeling, a feeling of happiness and great pleasure. You feel like you want to be a part of the movie, a part of the colorful characters. Who it indeed has. And then there's the music, great music just right for the movie. If you have not seen it.....DO IT. P.S. forgive my bad English :-)

A right old Jolie

Author: Alex Brown (alex_brown@blueyonder.co.uk) from Woking, England
30 December 2001

More like a very young Angelina Jolie stars in hackers, a tale of a bunch of kids who hack into systems and networks for fun.

It does drag on a bit, but there's some good performances, a perfectly respectable script and some good directing. Unlike other computer films, this isn't full of too much BS and some of the technical stuff is believable -- nice change!

hackers is a film based out of cyberculture of north carolina

Author: kdouglas003 from raleigh, nc
7 February 2014

its been enough years now that it can be said - this is a story out of north Carolina, and the general atmosphere of computing in north Carolina

it allegedly involves a mother, but they crossed that out and put in an actor and a well majorly actress, to support that role- which was the ideal

it is a great film, it was well put together the interest for it was mined off of the net

but there's a bit of an issue that the people that were used for the story for the film remember having seen it in a theater - when they never did - and witnessed it in their sleep

there's enough supporting evidence to support this , but as the film that made Angelina jolie - her career appears to have not done so well because she was detached from the origin of the film, and its possible appropriate credits were not given

I rate this as a 10 star film, since I know the main story that it was based on - and can provide photos and all of the background information that the film was based on to prove it - but I am mostly concerned that it was kind of a twist on a story that was not good, to promote it as good - and the general production didn't particularly understand that the original story was not good, when releasing it to the ... distribution, indicating that it was a good thing - when its a good spin on a good thing and a good depiction and a great movie

The Hackers Of Yore

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
3 November 2011

Revisiting 'Hackers' after a long time, not because it's a great movie or anything but the reasons are nostalgic. Needless to say, computer technology and cyberspace have come a long way since the movie's initial release and so obviously it has a dated look. I mean, the special effects are quite bad. 'Hackers' is pretty much another teen saves the world movie, this time using technology. Although it is a teen flick, I liked that it's not heavily sugarcoated. The romance isn't overly mushy though poorly developed. The comedy aspect of it works. The pacing, especially midway, is very slow. Now the script is definitely full of holes but there is a reason why this film has achieved cult classic status. It has heart. One can easily relate to the characters. Jonny Lee Miller, Angelina Jolie, Fisher Stevens, Lorraine Bracco and Matthew Lillard do a good enough job. Jolie looks quite cute and sultry and Bracco is hot. However, where acting is concerned, Jesse Bradford steals the show as the youngest one in the group, the rookie, who tries to fit in. He appears spontaneous and his performance is very natural. In addition, to the good performances, 'Hackers' has an awesome soundtrack. So when one expects something unrealistic and cheesy and is not looking to nitpick, 'Hackers' can be fun.

"I'm gonna triple the RAM"

Author: marastar_2002 from United States
22 November 2010

When it comes to Hackers, you have to take it for what it is. Which is a completely ridiculous, over-the-top, happy-go-lucky techno-fantasy—and AMAZING.

Hackers presents every tech nerd's dream. Every geeky kid wants to be as good looking as Johnny Lee Miller, have Angelina Jolie fall for him, beat some skeezy bad guy at his own game, and live in a psychedelically manic underground world where you rollerblade everywhere with your best friends, secure in the knowledge that you're "elite".

For anyone who knows anything about computers, the "hacking" and technology parts of this movie are the best (funniest, most ludicrous) parts. But what the hell, it makes sense in context with the film's absolute lack of sense.

So don't watch the movie expecting any sort of reality other than the surreality contained within the film. Just watch it for the pretty people pretending they know something about hacking, and enjoy.

Amazing in 1995! Funny in 2003!

Author: Paul (crashnbur) from Macon, GA
22 June 2003

Okay, so the plot of this movie seems a bit outlandish in 2003, but in 1995 this is where hacking was going! Of course, hacking has been misunderstood from day one, and aside from social-outcast stereotypes and the horrible hacking emulations, at least "Hackers" got the ball rolling for the defense of good-natured hackers, as opposed to 'crackers' (the ones who actually try to do damage).

The movie was meant to be taken only somewhat seriously eight years ago, and those who had no idea about computers (and some who still don't) were overwhelmed by what computers could supposedly do. Of course, we all know now how irrelevant the plot of this movie is to legitimate hacking, but it's still a great laugh for those of us that use computers too much.

More glitz than bits

Author: Mephisto-24 from Perth, Australia
14 April 2003

Hackers is too lightweight to be a good thriller, but it works well if you see it as the hackers do - a series of games. The bet between Crash vs. Burn (ultra-hot Angelina Jolie) isn't very different from the competition between Plague and the younger hackers, except for the stakes. If you ignore the flashy and mostly meaningless computer graphics, you may notice some good in-jokes and a remarkable chemistry between many of the characters – Crash and Plague, Lord Nikon and Cereal Killer, and especially Crash and Burn. Apart from Lorraine Bracco, who seems completely lost, everyone seems to be having an enormous amount of fun: grab a can of Jolt, forget everything you know about programming, and join in the game.

entertaining...

Author: Teewurstmann (twm@aintitcoolmail.com) from the cold north
12 February 2003

6 out of 10 Hackers is an entertaining movie. It was one of the first "computer thrillers". Well, not all hackers are "cyber punks" and not all script kiddies are actually hackers, maybe crackers.

If you know a little something about networks, computers, protocolls and Unix, then it upsets you that in such movies all the hacking is displayed with 3D graphics, big red "ACCESS DENIED" signs flashing up on the screen... That's all bogus. Why not just show it as it is: A plain telnet unix shell.

Oh well, for all the casual movie goers it has to be made understandable...

After all, an entertaining little film