IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The First Time I Have Fallen Asleep In A Movie. Ever.

Author: trix_n_min from Australia
25 May 2008

This is, without doubt, the worst film I have ever seen. It is terribly atrociously boring, and honestly the first time in my entire life I have fallen asleep while watching a movie. The acting was terrible, in particular the completely over-acted part of Angelina Jolie, who tried to be the distant, cool chick but was just a rude, conceited pain the the ass. Matthew Lillard was his usual self, yet I couldn't even chuckle at him since the film was so bad. Possibly I am not technology-and-gadget-minded enough, and this film is very obviously intended for computer geeks, because I did not know what the point of any of it was. Absurdly unrealistic and completely drawn out and eventless, not to mention predictable as all hell. (Just for the record, I fell asleep approximately 3/4 through but I guarantee without watching that Jolie showed her "nice" side and hit it off with the irritating lead actor and cyber-enemy). Just a hunch. Computer geeks and teenage boys might like this film, or people that might associate it with childhood nostalgia. Anyone else... I can't express enough how not to watch it.

Compelling Subject Matter, Wasted With Cheesy Plot

Author: great_sphinx_42 from The Poppy Field, OZ 69666
21 June 1999

I think this is a movie that can only be described as mediocre. It's not embarrassingly bad, but it's far from great. First, it's good points: energy, hackers make intriguing subjects, and fairly interesting, likable protagonists. It's bad points: a "Superman"-like plot master-minded by a supremely cheesy villain. The effects got annoying after a while, and there was plenty of "information" about computers that was not accurate. I"m not sorry I saw it, but I wish someone would make a movie that would be a correct portrayal of hackers. Then again, computer technology goes so fast that such a movie would likely be very dated before its release.

Underrated and magnificently done! Angelina shines.

Author: PessimisticGrace (PessimisticGrace@aol.com) from Calfornia
27 August 2001

When I went in to watch Hackers, I was worried because some of

the reviews here.

I don't think we saw the same movie. From scene one, I was

surprised the characters were teenagers. I knew Angelina was

only 19 or 20 when she did this movie, but I hadn't realized that

until I saw it.

The romance and interaction between Angelina's character and

Jonny's is classic. Really. It's great. When they're arguing or

fighting or dreaming about each other spitefully, it's fun to watch

their little denying their attraction and criticizing one another. Before

Angelina Jolie, I did not have a favorite actress. I knew actresses I

liked several films of, but hated others.

Angelina Jolie is different. She's my favorite actress now. It's not

because she's pretty, although she is. It's because she has a

magnetism, charisma and draw that I've never before seen in an

actress of the 90's. This shows through in her portrayal of Kate

"Acid Burn" Libby. She's cocky and difficult, with a rebel charm

we've seen in many of this star's movies. If you love Angelina Jolie

for reasons OTHER than how large her chest is or nudity, please

see this. The performance may not have been academy award

winning, but it's a great performance. Very fun to see where she

started out.

The rest of the performances are also very good. Jonny's Dade

has a puppy dog charm, in that you feel sorry for him and can't help

but laugh when things don't go his way. He is in no way Mr. Deep,

but he's smart with a funny exterior.

Matthew Lillard never fails to make me laugh, and he's prominent

with his pigtailed braids and goofing off.

I must give kudos to the villain. Sure, nothing unpredictable or new.

But he's positively funny. "Never fear, I is here." And arrogant and

quirky.

I loved the special effects. I loved the plot. I loved the premise. I

loved the romantic relationship between Kate and Dade.

This is not an academy award winning movie. It's not extremely

dramatic or epic. But it sure is a GOOD movie. It's fun, it's a

comedy, it's a drama, and it's just great to watch. I very much

enjoyed the technology used, and the entire movie as a whole

made me smile.

If you are looking for an epic movie of high proportions with big

name actors and a hole-less plot, stay away.

But if you're looking for a movie that will make you smile at the

antics of the multi-dimensional characters and their escapades

and problems, set in a technological world and featuring a cute

teenage romance, go see it.

And if you love Angelina's acting, appeal, charisma and gorgeous

smile, don't see it. BUY IT. I know I will.

A right old Jolie

Author: Alex Brown (alex_brown@blueyonder.co.uk) from Woking, England
30 December 2001

More like a very young Angelina Jolie stars in hackers, a tale of a bunch of kids who hack into systems and networks for fun.

It does drag on a bit, but there's some good performances, a perfectly respectable script and some good directing. Unlike other computer films, this isn't full of too much BS and some of the technical stuff is believable -- nice change!

Hack the planet!!!

Author: mr-mcphee from United States
30 July 2015

Soundtrack: 9 Pulsating, funky mix of post-punk electronica. Just killer.

Costumes: 9 This isn't the way people actually dressed in the 90's, especially hackers, but who cares, the costumes just work.

Characters: 8 Great characters with their own personalities, a lot of energy in the main characters, and even though some characters play on old tropes (stuffy FBI agent, cartoonishly evil villain), at their worst, they still don't feel too clichéd.

Plot: 7 This movie manages to mix a few interesting plots into each other somewhat naturally. The main plot is a bit convoluted, and probably hard to understand to the average person, but actually makes sense, unlike what some critics said, and the competition between Crash and Burn is a great take on the love-hate relationship.

Cinematography and effects: 10 Thankfully relies a lot on practical effects to provide a totally fictional, but totally creative and beautiful, depiction of computers. Projecting the screens onto the actors faces, the super computer as translucent forest of structures, morphing the New York skyline into a circuit board; all amazing and novel.

In summary, not 100% true-to-life, but for the better. They simultaneously try to pay respect to real hacker culture at the time, while extrapolating it into a stylish and exciting universe. Unappreciated in its time, but a cult classic that still holds fans for a good reason.

Welcome to the future of the past

Author: Fluke_Skywalker from United States
12 April 2015

I saw this three times in the early autumn of '95, and those admissions likely accounted for about half of its box office. I was dazzled by its visuals and techno-electronica soundtrack, and mesmerized by one of its young stars; a Ms. Angelina Jolie.

I knew the instant I saw her that she was going to be a huge star. In fact, many people in the cast--then complete unknowns--would go on to success. Johnny Lee Miller, Matthew Lillard, Jesse Bradford, Marc Anthony, Wendell Pierce. But everything and everyone else ceases to exist when she's on screen.

I talked the movie up to everyone who would listen, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. 20 years later it remains one of my favorite films, and as I understand it, it's developed a cult following. Through adult eyes, its "Hack the planet" lip service is pretty obvious for what it is, but strictly as a piece of pop art, I absolutely love this movie.

I enjoyed it

Author: sirfire from Australia
24 December 2014

What a gem of a 90's movie.

Before I start let me say I have built two datacentres and I am currently a domain admin of another in the telco industry so I will not comment on the IT glitches.

Hackers is a story about liberation and fighting the man and that us hackers have more morals than the governments and people who control the government who trying to stop them. I did get nostalgic when i heard things like 28k bit per second and PCI bus with direct memory access. I wonder if the actors knew that a modem was short for modulator/ demodulater :)

For this story to work it had to have some magic, as someone else highlighted ... "if you really see a real hacker at work it is truly boring stuff" btw computers do zeros and ones at best .... not these mathematical formulas that was blowing past screen but that would be boring. Amazing graphics on these PC screens didn't exist back then which IMHO made it date better than other Computer movies of its day.

I liked how some scary facts about the government holding files on its people which you would be amazed today on what they hold on you. And you would be surprised just how many skimming scams are going on .... these issues hold true today.

It was a more innocent time when only a select few knew how to do things and I even remember doing the tape digital sounds .... oh those where the days :)

Enjoy it for what it was .... oh and you get to see sexy Jolie when she was only 19 .... pretty simple story line and some truism that even today not many people would know.

I loved the early days of computers and we all thought it make the world better, safer, provide us with freedom, make it more transparent. Sadly it has made it for the worse and even our civil liberties are all but gone.

I was in IT in the 90s and i think my pride back then stopped me from watching it but I am glad to see it as it is worth my time and hopefully your time to watch it.

good stuff.

incompetently written, fun

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
7 October 2014

Making a movie about computers is difficult. Even the latest equipment looks ridiculously antique within a few years of release. There is not really anything to see -- just people sitting at keyboards. You must interpret it poetically. There is not much action. The public has no idea what is really going on.

The best attempts, like Tron, work at two levels, direct action for the kids, and subtle in-jokes and metaphors for the computer savvy.

Hackers has lots of energy, but it is downright silly.

For a start, the techno-babble is complete gibberish. The screenwriters did not even know the difference between a modem, a screen and RAM. I think they composed the dialogue by looking up computer jargon in a dictionary and throwing the words into a hat. They make zero attempt at plausibility.

This incompetence quickly destroys the illusion we are viewing whiz kids capable of bringing down civilisation as we know if they so chose.

Most of the dialogue is theme and variation on "I'm the king of the castle, and you're the dirty rascal". It sounds like something first graders would say. It is so juvenile, it is jarring.

Another jarring thing. Dade and his mother stayed in a one-bedroom apartment where mom slept on the couch. Yet Dade had thousands of dollars to spend on clothes and hairstyling.

There is a goony character called Cereal. He appears to be brain damaged, perhaps from too many drugs. Yet we are supposed to believe he took over all TV channels of earth.

But the main problem with the movie was the lead Dade, played by Johnny Lee Miller. He was badly miscast. His hair was expensively bleached and each curl pressed into place. He wore a leather jacket costing thousands of dollars that Liberace might have coveted. His facial features were so sharp he could cut cheese with them, but he had no sizzle. He came across as soggy as yesterday's waffle, a sort of young Lawrence Welk. His voice was as flat as Houston astronaut ground control.

Angelina Jolie did a great job with the atrocious dialogue they handed her. She was like a time bomb about to explode. It is too bad the movie was not written more around her acting skills.

A touch I did like was the way the characters got around their city with dazzling speed on roller blades. It added some visual excitement and flash.

Some of the CGI visuals to poetically represent hacking into computers were of course completely unrealistic, but at least interesting and metaphorically evocative.

A movie is a team. The writers were incompetent though the basic plot was quite clever. Most of the actors were great. The visual effects people were ahead of their time (but of course dated now). A movie is as good as its weakest link.

hackers is a film based out of cyberculture of north carolina

Author: kdouglas003 from raleigh, nc
7 February 2014

its been enough years now that it can be said - this is a story out of north Carolina, and the general atmosphere of computing in north Carolina

it allegedly involves a mother, but they crossed that out and put in an actor and a well majorly actress, to support that role- which was the ideal

it is a great film, it was well put together the interest for it was mined off of the net

but there's a bit of an issue that the people that were used for the story for the film remember having seen it in a theater - when they never did - and witnessed it in their sleep

there's enough supporting evidence to support this , but as the film that made Angelina jolie - her career appears to have not done so well because she was detached from the origin of the film, and its possible appropriate credits were not given

I rate this as a 10 star film, since I know the main story that it was based on - and can provide photos and all of the background information that the film was based on to prove it - but I am mostly concerned that it was kind of a twist on a story that was not good, to promote it as good - and the general production didn't particularly understand that the original story was not good, when releasing it to the ... distribution, indicating that it was a good thing - when its a good spin on a good thing and a good depiction and a great movie

The Hackers Of Yore

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
3 November 2011

Revisiting 'Hackers' after a long time, not because it's a great movie or anything but the reasons are nostalgic. Needless to say, computer technology and cyberspace have come a long way since the movie's initial release and so obviously it has a dated look. I mean, the special effects are quite bad. 'Hackers' is pretty much another teen saves the world movie, this time using technology. Although it is a teen flick, I liked that it's not heavily sugarcoated. The romance isn't overly mushy though poorly developed. The comedy aspect of it works. The pacing, especially midway, is very slow. Now the script is definitely full of holes but there is a reason why this film has achieved cult classic status. It has heart. One can easily relate to the characters. Jonny Lee Miller, Angelina Jolie, Fisher Stevens, Lorraine Bracco and Matthew Lillard do a good enough job. Jolie looks quite cute and sultry and Bracco is hot. However, where acting is concerned, Jesse Bradford steals the show as the youngest one in the group, the rookie, who tries to fit in. He appears spontaneous and his performance is very natural. In addition, to the good performances, 'Hackers' has an awesome soundtrack. So when one expects something unrealistic and cheesy and is not looking to nitpick, 'Hackers' can be fun.