IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The best movie EVER!

Author: vestan_p from New York
30 March 2001

Well, here it is folks, I think it's been long enough since hackers came out (6 years+), so I am going to offer what I think will be the definitive commentary on the film "Hackers." Simply put, Hackers is the finest movie ever. The music, the costumes, the dialog... if you could put FUN in a box (not to mention Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie) the box would say "Hackers" on it. If this movie were a president, it would Hackraham Lincoln. If it were a gum, it would be Hackalicious... you get the picture.

Anyhow, the really important thing I have to say is this:

A.) Hackers is NOT a "B-movie"; the budget was large and the actors have major talent; it's a slick production, and it shows.

B.) Contrary to the belief of some cyber-dorks out there (who mainly get their jollies by pretending they know more than other people about computers) it doesn't matter if the computer interface is somewhat unrealistic. Obviously, there are some classic "movie" style computer screens (a la 1995's other horrible computer flick "The Net (of crap)"), but lest I seem like a broken record, I will repeat for the entertainmentally challenged THIS IS A MOVIE!

C.) Are you kidding me? This stuff is great! I can watch this movie forever (and believe me, I have) and NEVER EVER get tired of it. C'mon, this stuff is just classic, listen here to some dialogue:

(spoken with much gusto:) "Yeah, it's got a killer refresh rate."

"Risc is good."

"Never fear, I is here."

Bottom line, if you wanna be a nerd, go program something. If you want to be entertained, get this movie, NOW!

Something to laugh at while you're high

Author: Greg from United States
28 October 2007

This movie reminds us all of how incredibly RIDICULOUS the fashion sense of the 90s was. strange amount of profanity, no l337 speak..., and since when did oil tankers have access to the internet for their basic controls? In all honest; never rent this movie but instead watch it on TV, or use the magical powers of the internet and download it cause God knows this movie makes 0 profit. +side is you get to see Jolie's tits again in this flick even though its short. the fact that they use floppy's is extremely laughable, if one were to remake this mess it would be all USB drives and UBUNTU Linux running machines up the ass. apparently in those days when one hacked a supercomputer's files their menus and command lines ran an OS so advanced that they could compete with today's software.these kids could be spotted from miles away because of their sheer cheesiness and what is with the protagonist wearing the stupid headgear when their in the phone booths? oh and when screw around with a telephone wire you'll get instant INTERNET connection. so yeah don't pay for this movie EVER, just watch it if it should be on TV or on some random site

Revisit to Hackers

Author: chris-twitch from United States
11 July 2007

OK, its been a few years since anyone has commented on this movie so i have to say that it still holds up. To me now, looking back on this film it now reminds me of Tron and the effect it had on the computer industry. Sure it is cheesy and in many ways does not truly represent hacking visually or socially. But it inspired a lot of people to start messing with computers more. As I watch it now there are three things that surprise me.

1. The Stars: Johnny Lee Miller was a god to me at time and trainspotting secured that. Jolie is at her hottest(right after Gia). Matthew Lillard is great and provides a lot of great slogan. As far as the supportincas, I was surprised that I had not noticed on any viewing Marc Antony at that early age. Alberta Watson from La Femme Nikita and 24 is a very strong character and is for some reason still very much a MILF. However, Sopranos Lorraine Brocco Leaves much to be desired, though that may be due to the script.

2. The Music: I forgot how great this soundtrack was. Massive Attack, Cirrus, and even stuff from Kruder Dorfmeister that I didn't really get into until 2002. The music alone is worth the viewing.

3. The Tech Jargin: A good group of people have already commented on this so all i can say is "P6 that is awesome"!!!

Funny if you know a bit about computers (minor spoilers)

Author: Ali from London, England
20 July 2003

I laughed out loud at the virtual reality headset (remember them?) - soooooo mid 90's.

I'm no hacker/cracker, although if I were I certainly would not be advertising it here now would I? However, I do consider myself a computer geek and found this film hysterical - mainly because I watched it 7 years after it was made.

I'm not going to bang on about the technical innacuracies as all of that has been (over?)extensively covered in these very pages. However, to all of the people complaining about how unlifelike this film is I would ask this - how many hackerettes have you seen that look like Angelina Jolie? Or how many hackers have you seen that are going out with Angelina Joley-alikes?

Angelina actually had her interest aroused by a hacker telling her "it's got a PCI bus, but then I'm sure you knew that". She replied with "yup, and I reckon RISC is the future".

Can you imagine that? Walk into a bar with your Sony Clie PDA and wave it around a bit in the direction of lady. Once you have her attention you can seduce her by telling her about the 320x320 pixel screen that can display 65,536 colours! And wait, what about the Memory Sticks - very phallic!!

Then there was the scene where the boys were absolutely drooling over a laptop computer that had a 28000bps modem (I'm writing this on a 512,000bps connection and that is considered slow). Or "wow, it's got an Active Matrix LCD!".

Mediocre at best

Author: CPol from Sweden
5 September 1999

Hackers is a mediocre movie although it has a few good points. As cyberpunk it's worse than Mnemonic and set in an unbelievably current time. The computer speech sprinkled throughout this movie is faulty, inappropriate and old fashioned and the hacker cum villain is flat, unconvincing, unambitious and overly cheezy. The cool hacker comments and aliases have a definite 80's feel.

Hackers would have gotten a 1 or 2 vote if it had not been for three things; the need for passwords, something that I rarely see in computer movies, the method of obtaining them, which was accurate for a long time and perhaps still is (searching trough dumpsters for printouts) and lastly Angelina Jolie who's a definite plus in any movie.

The Waterworld of the Underworld

Author: Syzygy from United States
5 August 2006

This movie is BAD. There is no getting around the fact that this movie is grossly inaccurate, inconsistent and generally poorly made. The plot is contrived, overused and generic. A group of young hackers create some trouble until they find out about an evil plot. Then it becomes a bad action, romance hybrid... with outdated computers... that never existed.

Indeed, the movie hackers breaks at least two dozen fundamental pieces of computer knowledge that anybody even moderately trained could catch. Most of these somehow involve over the top dramatic camera angles and cut-away. The script moves in a kind of jumpy staccato shuffle, with the occasional inconsistency or absurdity making you jump for a moment. For instance, while finding the infamous hosts of the show "hack the planet" (which manages to crack into the TV station every week at a predictable time and stay on air for half an hour with a live feed) They are held at gun-point by a robotic arm! Once the hosts (Annoying twins) find out that they are allies, they show their secret, it was a squirt gun! Oh you hackers, what a waste of two hours that was!

Author: utica
2 March 2006

I worked on this movie when I was just starting out in film post production. At the time I couldn't understand why we weren't using proper computer graphics and UI design during the sequences where the kids are hacking into computers. However, after a recent viewing on TV I realised what the director was aiming at - nothing dates faster than computer technology and its visual representation, it's just part of the way that it works. Softley went for a deliberately abstract depiction of the technology in order to give the film some relevance to audiences that might have be years into the future. There's no way that anyone in 1994/5 could have predicted how the internet would evolve or how UI design would progress - the creatively lead look of the hacking sequences in this film still work today because Softley chose to avoid sticking netscape logos all over it. If you think I'm talking nonsense then take a look at the email moments in "the Net" or "Mission: Impossible" and you'll see what I mean - embarrassing!

One of the worst films of the 90's.

Author: sirpineapple
26 November 2004

I really can't stand this film. The art direction and vision is intense and well carried out. Moments of photography are also impressive and moving. However, juxtaposed with such terrible writing, terrible fact problems you just can't ignore, over the top acting, and for the most part entirely unbelievable characters, this film goes down as one of the worst of the 90's. It's good looks don't make up for it's poor execution.

I can't possible understand what statement the director was making when he decided to have the villain ride around on a skateboard. Nor can I forgive the writer for completely senseless, incomprehensible and random computer jargon. To its defense, Hackers is entertaining pulp, which is sometimes enough - but this movie seems to exploit your need for entertainment and leaves you feeling cheated. I give it a 2/10.

I could have directed this film better!

Author: Sam ( from london
19 July 2003

Where do i start.

Well i can tell you where, the plot is believable. Until the CGI comes in. Anyone with a vagfue knopwledge of computers knows that if you are a hacker you do not use such graphics on the screen when hacking, the most you use is a beautiful green on black or black on white this is just because.

The phone "Phreaking" absolutely brilliant and true. in america at one point a cereal gave away a whistle which mimmiced the tone of a call so that long distance calls could be made, it lost the company millions.

The set for "Gibson" computer where does that come from. No computer is run like that anywhere in the world. It did make me want to gag half the time and have a good old fingers down the throat moment. I didn't.

The direction, set and costume design and CGI was all hollywood. No hackers dress like that. No hackers are cool, no hackers creep out at night to talk about other hacks. Why when you can do it from your room in front of your screen. It is also at that time the "Witching Hour"/

If you want something with a little more substance read The Blue Nowhere, if you have no knowledge of computers go see hackers.

A fun but not frisky 4 outta 10

Not all that it's cracked up to be

Author: mwarne from London, England
19 July 2003

Even allowing for it's age, this film is basically a clunker.

The plot is ridiculous, the script is dreadful, the acting dire and the special effects are laughable.

Anyone who knows anything about computers will cringe at lines like "the new RISC architecture will change everything." "yeah, RISC is cool." or "it has a 28 point 8 bps modem" (even when 28.8 modems were state of the art, who called them 28 point 8 BPS modems?)

If you are teenage boy and a fleeting glimpse of Angelina Jolie's nipples is the most exciting thing you can think of, watch this movie. Otherwise look elsewhere for your evening's entertainment.