IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 22: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Great Time Capsule!

Author: matthewcs25 from United States
30 January 2010

Hackers creates a wonderful picture of life in the mid-90s. This was the time period in which the World Wide Web was becoming such a huge deal. It was when people had this in their homes and were open to all sorts of ideas and people soon learned they could exploit it.

The characters in this movie were the hackers that were so prevalent in the 90s. This movie showed the world the underground culture of this group of people. The action that was involved in the movie as well as the dynamics between the characters is fun to watch. All of them do a wonderful job, including a young Angelina Jolie, shown before she became a part of Brangelina. This movie is out of date, but that is part of the beauty of it now. Think of it as a 90s version of War Games.

Unrealistic But Fun Movie!

Author: sedativchunk from United States
2 October 2009

I've never seen or heard of this movie until today when it was on HBO. Being a modern age computer programmer and website developer (who also knows quite a bit about how "hacking" works), this movie is right up my alley.

First off, I will talk about the negatives, as I usually like to attack them first before getting to the good stuff. The hacking process, the 15 computer monitors, the 3D interfaces, the cool clothes, the groups of friends who are computer hackers... none of that exist in the real world of hacking. Hacking takes several hours and months to learn how to do. Most hackers make lame, poorly coded programs in Visual Studio to make computer viruses with and to hack websites, emails, and programs with. They do not hack into big government programs and create global threats with their skills. To the positives of this movie now.

The theme of this movie fits perfect! The electronic music, the colors of the movie, the cool decked out computers, and the computer lingo, it all fits the modern computer age perfectly. The movie definitely caught my attention, and I think anyone else who is into computers or works with them for a living will enjoy the movie.

I don't got much more to say except that this movie is a good rental. Just don't take it too seriously!

Entertaining '90s movie.

Author: johnnymacbest from United States
31 July 2009

Despite being somewhat of a hit, "Hackers" is a cult classic, featuring a younger Angelina Jolie. Having just watched it recently, I didn't even now it was her until the end credits rolled in; surprised I was. Any how, that's not only the good thing about this film. There's a lot of entertainment value to be had here and the actors involved turn in a above average performance. Don't expect something along the lines of Shakespeare, this is just a fun little movie to relax and kick back to on a boring Saturday afternoon but above all that, the film gives us a vague glimpse of the power of technology and how it can be used for good and evil purposes. The main villain is simply wacky with a campy, tongue-in-cheek persona that works really well with the film. At the time, the Internet was really all the rage since it first appeared in our lives 17 years ago. "Hackers" may be a cartoon but it's a cartoon with depth.

A very cool tech movie for a change

Author: coolnes20 from Victor, New York
26 July 2009

I loved this movie and I really don't have anything bad to say about it. Well maybe the costumes, I wouldn't be caught dead in any of that crap. I noticed some of you saying that the "hacking" performed in the movie isn't realistic and that it couldn't be done. You gotta love the naive. Unless you have an intranet any computer can be hacked because the codes are written by humans which means there are flaws. Now some of the hacking setups in the movie don't make sense that's true but never underestimate the "keyboard cowboys". The storyline wasn't great but I still think this movie was better than "The Net" which was as Hollywood as you could get. Hackers will continue to inspire kids to learn "C" and "Perl" "Lisp" "Java" etc. and for that I give it an 8. Of course I take away two points because it will inspire kids who will no doubt try to hack using Windows or other closed source systems.

not totally real but good

Author: scarlegs from Netherlands
24 September 2008

OK the movie is 90% of with the computer stuff but if you would learn to think outside of the damn governmental and media boxes you would know that real hackers are people that solve problems rater then make them. the only time a hacker will make a problem is when the damn people wont listen to there warnings. that's for the present day but if you look in the past the real hackers are guys like Steve woz. because of there way of thinking we now have power full computers at home. he was at that time hacking the known computers to see if he could get more out of it. now read this. hackers are not the trouble makers crackers and script kiddies are.

The Film Counterpart to 'Neuromancer'

Author: james-obeirne from Washington, DC
21 July 2008

In general, the movie's atmosphere is a granular, electronic shade of absolute cool. The characters, though arguably thin, are larger than life, heroic, admirable, and extremely likable. You want to be Dade Murphy (Miller). You want to flirt with Kate Libby (Jolie). You want to know everyone else in the film. The story is linear; but thing is, that serves to aid the movie in a multitude of ways. The non-complex plot acts as a vehicle for character development, style, and a great soundtrack.

I'm a student of computer science, so obviously I can see how shoddy the technical underpinnings of some of the material are, but honestly, that has no effect on my enjoyment of this movie. The film almost acknowledges its unrealistic use of special effects with various hints dropped throughout the movie that would be lost on laymen, like the Metropolis poster in Kate's bedroom, the mention of various (in)famous pieces of technical literature, "hacking a Gibson", and Plague's use of the alias "Babbage". Where it can afford to, this movie has a pretty good grasp on hacker culture, so don't crap a bird and check your petty skepticism at the door; the movie is using visual metaphors to depict the intricacies of "hacking" to people who wouldn't be able to understand them otherwise, and it does it in a fun, stylistic way.

I have no doubt that seeing this movie at a young age cultivated my admiration for not only computing (and Angelina Jolie), but New York City as well. The film portrays the island of Manhattan as a sprawling, wired playground that never sleeps, rife with energy; a breathing invitation to stay out all night, win the girl, and hack the world around you.

The DVD cover sure as hell doesn't make it apparent, but this film is about the closest (and likely best) adaptation of William Gibson's cultural fission, Neuromancer, that you'll ever find. If you enjoyed this book, seek this movie immediately, and vice versa.

From the minute the flick starts, it yanks you in. Every time. You can't take Hackers completely seriously, and it knows that, so just have a good time and let the movie inspire you to question the rules and emerge a hero.

So over the top!

Author: davorm from Ontario, Canada
9 February 2008

But in a great way of course. I fell in love with this move back when it was originally released, but as technology goes, it didn't take long for it to seem out dated. But with it's over the top visuals, characters, and costumes it belongs in it's own world. It's a great fun movie, don't look at it for accuracy and realism, because it's not meant to be. It has a great sound track that was the best electronic music of it's time.

This movie gives such a cool style to hackers that after watching it, I think everybody wanted to be a trendy "Hackers" hacker.

So relax, and enjoy the stupid ride!

i quite enjoyed it

Author: from United States
2 February 2008

I actually quite enjoyed this movie. I haven't seen it in a few years, but in high school I could watch it over and over because I kinda liked the glorified depiction of the hacker character. Yeah its not realistic, looks cheap, and many of the technical details were wrong, but who cares - it was a lot of fun. Now I'll admit that I found it much more engaging than normal people because I'm quite a geek but I like to do it big and I identify with the kind of characters in the film. I also liked to see an image of hackers as more social and not without "style" which was a breath of fresh air from the greasy nerd stereotype. In fact some of the smartest geeks are some of the most hip trend-setters in cultures in almost every country. I REALLY want to find some venues resembling the hacker hangouts and arcades in the movie. My paradise.

not of my generation but okay

Author: blanche-2 from United States
28 January 2008

I had some trouble getting into the teens in "Hackers" because for me, even the 1995 types seem like they're from another planet. A cast of now familiar faces (Fisher Stevens, Angelina Jolie, Lorraine Bracco, Jonny Lee Miller, Jesse Bradford, Laurence Mason) tell the story of a bunch of hackers who are about to be framed for a fraud put together by the computer security person in a corporation (Stevens) and his girlfriend, also inside the corporation (Bracco). The beginning is especially good - an district attorney (Felicity Huffman) speaks of the dastardly deeds of the defendant, a destructive criminal - and the camera pans to an 11-year-old boy, Dade Murphy, who is Johnny Lee Miller's character as a child. The boy is forbidden by the court to have a touch tone phone or a computer until he turns 18. The story continues 7 years later when Dade is up to his old tricks and joins a group of hackers with handles like Acid Burn and Cereal Killer.

As mentioned in several comments, a lot of "Hackers" is dated now - like the 28.8 modem - but it's still fun, with very colorful computer screens, many of which will take old-timers back to the psychedelic days. Though I enjoyed the movie, I don't think I was the target demographic.

Hackers - 1337 or 14m3?

Author: devoid_band (devoid_band@hotmail.com) from Glasgow, Scotland
3 September 2004

I have got to say first off, that I have enjoyed Hackers from the first time I watched it. I have enjoyed it on two levels;

Level 1 - Back in 1997 I enjoyed it for its sharp wit, alluring characters, crazy antics, and evil villains. It was (is) a good old-fashioned movie about the good guys triumphing against the bad guys, having fun on the way, and getting the girl in the end.

I must state that in 1997 I hadn't even looked at a PC, or even heard a single Ozzy Osbourne track.

Level 2 - The 2004 enjoyment. Now with a decent knowledge of the in-jokes (Anarchist Cookbook references, Ozzy Osbourne, etc) I enjoy it on the level of inside looking out - I understand that the virus's are insane, that you cannot view PCs as huge tower blocks (although I'm sure some GUI will have that capability) etc. I also understand that this is symbolism, and for a few hours, I can switch off the part of my brain that hates newbies pretending they can hack because they got some tewls. I can enjoy this film, I can understand the cultural references, I can love Mathew Lillard's acting, and above all, I can watch this movie time and time again.

Hell I am watching it the now, and it will always be in my top 5 list of favourite films.

So yes, I can see how the film might irritate 'true' hackers, but save that angst for the newbs. Watch this film for what it is - a film. And I think you might find it is a good FILM.

Unless you absolutely despise teenagers/computers/people talking in a language you wont understand. In which case don't bother.

For me, it is a 10/10, but for many it could be a 0/10. All I can say is watch it for yourself, and build your own opinions.