IMDb > Hackers (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hackers

Hackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 22: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Film Counterpart to 'Neuromancer'

Author: james-obeirne from Washington, DC
21 July 2008

In general, the movie's atmosphere is a granular, electronic shade of absolute cool. The characters, though arguably thin, are larger than life, heroic, admirable, and extremely likable. You want to be Dade Murphy (Miller). You want to flirt with Kate Libby (Jolie). You want to know everyone else in the film. The story is linear; but thing is, that serves to aid the movie in a multitude of ways. The non-complex plot acts as a vehicle for character development, style, and a great soundtrack.

I'm a student of computer science, so obviously I can see how shoddy the technical underpinnings of some of the material are, but honestly, that has no effect on my enjoyment of this movie. The film almost acknowledges its unrealistic use of special effects with various hints dropped throughout the movie that would be lost on laymen, like the Metropolis poster in Kate's bedroom, the mention of various (in)famous pieces of technical literature, "hacking a Gibson", and Plague's use of the alias "Babbage". Where it can afford to, this movie has a pretty good grasp on hacker culture, so don't crap a bird and check your petty skepticism at the door; the movie is using visual metaphors to depict the intricacies of "hacking" to people who wouldn't be able to understand them otherwise, and it does it in a fun, stylistic way.

I have no doubt that seeing this movie at a young age cultivated my admiration for not only computing (and Angelina Jolie), but New York City as well. The film portrays the island of Manhattan as a sprawling, wired playground that never sleeps, rife with energy; a breathing invitation to stay out all night, win the girl, and hack the world around you.

The DVD cover sure as hell doesn't make it apparent, but this film is about the closest (and likely best) adaptation of William Gibson's cultural fission, Neuromancer, that you'll ever find. If you enjoyed this book, seek this movie immediately, and vice versa.

From the minute the flick starts, it yanks you in. Every time. You can't take Hackers completely seriously, and it knows that, so just have a good time and let the movie inspire you to question the rules and emerge a hero.

So over the top!

Author: davorm from Ontario, Canada
9 February 2008

But in a great way of course. I fell in love with this move back when it was originally released, but as technology goes, it didn't take long for it to seem out dated. But with it's over the top visuals, characters, and costumes it belongs in it's own world. It's a great fun movie, don't look at it for accuracy and realism, because it's not meant to be. It has a great sound track that was the best electronic music of it's time.

This movie gives such a cool style to hackers that after watching it, I think everybody wanted to be a trendy "Hackers" hacker.

So relax, and enjoy the stupid ride!

i quite enjoyed it

Author: from United States
2 February 2008

I actually quite enjoyed this movie. I haven't seen it in a few years, but in high school I could watch it over and over because I kinda liked the glorified depiction of the hacker character. Yeah its not realistic, looks cheap, and many of the technical details were wrong, but who cares - it was a lot of fun. Now I'll admit that I found it much more engaging than normal people because I'm quite a geek but I like to do it big and I identify with the kind of characters in the film. I also liked to see an image of hackers as more social and not without "style" which was a breath of fresh air from the greasy nerd stereotype. In fact some of the smartest geeks are some of the most hip trend-setters in cultures in almost every country. I REALLY want to find some venues resembling the hacker hangouts and arcades in the movie. My paradise.

not of my generation but okay

Author: blanche-2 from United States
28 January 2008

I had some trouble getting into the teens in "Hackers" because for me, even the 1995 types seem like they're from another planet. A cast of now familiar faces (Fisher Stevens, Angelina Jolie, Lorraine Bracco, Jonny Lee Miller, Jesse Bradford, Laurence Mason) tell the story of a bunch of hackers who are about to be framed for a fraud put together by the computer security person in a corporation (Stevens) and his girlfriend, also inside the corporation (Bracco). The beginning is especially good - an district attorney (Felicity Huffman) speaks of the dastardly deeds of the defendant, a destructive criminal - and the camera pans to an 11-year-old boy, Dade Murphy, who is Johnny Lee Miller's character as a child. The boy is forbidden by the court to have a touch tone phone or a computer until he turns 18. The story continues 7 years later when Dade is up to his old tricks and joins a group of hackers with handles like Acid Burn and Cereal Killer.

As mentioned in several comments, a lot of "Hackers" is dated now - like the 28.8 modem - but it's still fun, with very colorful computer screens, many of which will take old-timers back to the psychedelic days. Though I enjoyed the movie, I don't think I was the target demographic.

Hackers - 1337 or 14m3?

Author: devoid_band (devoid_band@hotmail.com) from Glasgow, Scotland
3 September 2004

I have got to say first off, that I have enjoyed Hackers from the first time I watched it. I have enjoyed it on two levels;

Level 1 - Back in 1997 I enjoyed it for its sharp wit, alluring characters, crazy antics, and evil villains. It was (is) a good old-fashioned movie about the good guys triumphing against the bad guys, having fun on the way, and getting the girl in the end.

I must state that in 1997 I hadn't even looked at a PC, or even heard a single Ozzy Osbourne track.

Level 2 - The 2004 enjoyment. Now with a decent knowledge of the in-jokes (Anarchist Cookbook references, Ozzy Osbourne, etc) I enjoy it on the level of inside looking out - I understand that the virus's are insane, that you cannot view PCs as huge tower blocks (although I'm sure some GUI will have that capability) etc. I also understand that this is symbolism, and for a few hours, I can switch off the part of my brain that hates newbies pretending they can hack because they got some tewls. I can enjoy this film, I can understand the cultural references, I can love Mathew Lillard's acting, and above all, I can watch this movie time and time again.

Hell I am watching it the now, and it will always be in my top 5 list of favourite films.

So yes, I can see how the film might irritate 'true' hackers, but save that angst for the newbs. Watch this film for what it is - a film. And I think you might find it is a good FILM.

Unless you absolutely despise teenagers/computers/people talking in a language you wont understand. In which case don't bother.

For me, it is a 10/10, but for many it could be a 0/10. All I can say is watch it for yourself, and build your own opinions.

errors

Author: xkcmgx from United States
9 June 2004

hey, I know the computer stuff is largely fantasy, that's not in doubt, but maybe it should be mentioned that arresting Hackers is the domain of the FBI, not the secret service. The NSA provides SIGINT (Signals Intelligence), the CIA analyzes that information, The Secret Service has two jobs anti-counterfeiting and VIP protection, not arresting Hackers or crackerz. There are some accuracies in the film, so I would agree that the writer knew something, not a lot, but some. The speed with which a trace was made is accurate, a modem will take maybe 10sec to trace to the source, a LAN only 5sec. if this film was made in 2004 it would probably be the (B)OHS doing the investigating. In fact the hackers wouldn't have been redflagged anyway would they? the real reason for the secret service is the name. Consider this, a good portion of this movie is allegorical, could we call it a fable?

*yawn* - It was a great movie for 1995.

Author: Dimitri (mitru) from New York City
6 February 2004

Although unrealistic with the GUI and actual act of "cracking" (hacking is often misunderstood for cracking). This movie was fun. Angelina Jolie was in it, early in her career, looking hot as ever... Johnny Lee Miller (aka Sickboy from Trainspotting) was the main character, who I'm fond of. It was allot of fun to watch, thoroughly entertaining, and it didn't lag. I wish the DVD had more content, but back in 95 DVD's didn't exist yet, so they just copied over the crap from the VHS tape. Other than that, pick it up if you like cyber crime movies, and kids running a rye. I did.

Superb Film

Author: serialbadgerpoker (serialbadgerpoker@yahoo.co.uk) from York, England
28 December 2003

A lot of people disliked this film because of it's shocking technical inaccuracy but to be frank, who really gives a s***? It's a film, it's not supposed to be real. There's not much I can say about this film other than how good it is, just watch it and you'll understand.

Barely Resembles the Film War Games

Author: julianhwescott from United States
6 July 2003

This film promises a lot more than it delivers. Most of it is made up of filler material not related to the story and becomes quite boring. If you can wait an hour for some action to really happen - the keyword here is 'action' - the film will almost be over. Will say that Jessie Bradford was the best of the bunch as far as acting goes. Film, no thank you.

Fun Flick from Unix Admin

Author: Athena5026 from Tampa, FL
13 February 2003

I've been a Unix Admin for the last 3 years. When I first saw this movie (film is a stretch) I enjoyed it, it was fun. I just caught it again on cable of few minutes ago. Wow, 8 years later, from a much different perspective. Still loved it. Enjoyed it more I think. I know more of the actors now, and due to my professional experience, had extra giggles due to the "Hollywood-ization" of the computer (hacking) industry. What a larf!