GoldenEye (1995) Poster

(1995)

GoldenEye is my number 1 favorite James Bond 007 action film of all time - the best one
ivo-cobra830 October 2017
GoldenEye (1995) is my number 1 personal favorite movie of all time! James Bond 007 action film the best one that was ever made. In my opinion it is the best one I love this movie to death! I grew up watching it as a child and Pierce Brosnan is my number 1 favorite James Bond. GoldenEye is the first film to star Pierce Brosnan as the fictional MI6 officer James Bond. The film was directed by Martin Campbell and is the first in the series not to take story elements from the works of novelist Ian Fleming.

I'm a hard-core James Bond fan. I make no apologies for believing that Pierce Brosnan is the closest thing we've seen to IAN FLEMING's James Bond. The reason because it is my favorite it is because I feel it is just action, action , action and more action. I never feel bored with it, or it is too over long like some Bond movies are it is fast paced, entertaining and hard core action. The plot is simply and the story never get's bored. It is a beautiful movie, with beautiful direction from Martin Campbell. The stunts are completely insane in scale in this movie and really dangerous.

Music score is by Éric Serra, the title song is GoldenEye performed by Tina Turner. GoldenEye was released in 1995 after a six-year hiatus in the series caused by legal disputes, during which Timothy Dalton resigned from the role of James Bond and was replaced by Pierce Brosnan. M was also recast, with actress Judi Dench becoming the first woman to portray the character, replacing Robert Brown. The role of Miss Moneypenny was also recast, with Caroline Bliss being replaced by Samantha Bond: Desmond Llewelyn was the only actor to reprise his role, as Q. GoldenEye was the first Bond film made after the dissolution of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War, which provided a background for the plot.

Style and sophistication are in abundance - - "The name's Bond. James Bond."

Goldeneye's female characters are honestly beautiful with particular techniques. The bad one is Xenia Onatopp (Famke Janssen), an ex-Soviet fighter pilot who tranquilly smokes big cigars and knocks off her victims with her 'killer thighs.' In one scene, she challenges Bond's legendary Aston Martin DB5 to a wild road race outside Monte Carlo with her red Ferrari: in another she was so smart that she snatches a top-secret helicopter from under the noses of the French navy.

Izabella Scorupco is a great and the finest Bond girl, the irresistible Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) who 'tastes like strawberries.' Natalya possesses all the technical ability to neutralize Janus' scheme or to destroy all computer records with the GoldenEye As one who survived a mass murder, this lovely beauty is suddenly a marked woman.

James Bond investigates the theft of the control disk for the GoldenEye satellite. His investigation leads to an organization of arms dealers Janus and the reappearance of someone from Bond's past. James Bond must deal with betrayal of his old friend Alec Trevelyan (006) gone rogue, from using a satellite GoldenEye against London to cause a global financial meltdown

Why I also love this movie to death beside the action is because of the great villains who created evil characters. Such as: Sean Bean as Alec Trevelyan (006), Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp: A Georgian lust murderer, Gottfried John as General Arkady Grigorovich Ourumov and Alan Cumming as Boris Grishenko: A computer programmer.

It was filmed in beautiful locations in Puerto Rico, Russia, England, UK and in the France.

The movie has a lot of insane hard-core action (I counted TEN all-star ones during my last viewing), The stunts are completely insane in scale (bungee jumping in - Arkangel Chemical Weapons Facility a stunt man performed that stunt in the opening scene.) Bond with a motorcycle jumps on a plane and catches it. Bond drives a tank in Russia for the first time and he demolishes even police cars that was excellent scene. Bond a stuntman jumps out of the window in Russia. Alec Trevelyan's train depot - exploding train. The epic climatic fight on the end of the movie between Bond and Trevelyan in his secret Goldeneye satellite control dish in Cuba in which Bond drops Trevelyan out of dish beautiful and really crazy stunt performance.

I love the soundtracks in this movie: Goldeneye by Tina Turner and The Experience of Love by Éric Serra. I just love everything about this movie from the actions, to the heroes, to the villains from acting everything abut this movie I just love so much.

GoldenEye (1995) is the seventeenth spy film in the James Bond series to be produced by Eon Productions, and the first to star Pierce Brosnan as the fictional MI6 officer James Bond. The film was directed by Martin Campbell and is the first in the series not to take story elements from the works of novelist Ian Fleming.

10/10 my favorite James Bond number 1 movie. This film is amazing Totally mind-blowing I love it.
36 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Campbell's "GoldenEye" embraces many of the best-loved motifs and situations from the classic Bond movies…
Nazi_Fighter_David4 November 2007
Brosnan has the look, the style, the intelligence and the bravura that James Bond should have… As charming, sophisticated, and always in control of the situation, Bond called upon all his ability for improvising escapes from truly impossible situations… The new Bond drives a BMW, remains preferring his vodka martinis 'shaken but not stirred,' and uses a Walther PPK, 7.65mm… The famous announcement "Bond, James Bond" is changed…

The plot line of "Goldeneye" revolves around an international terrorist organization calling itself Janus that steels a top-secret Russian weapon system named GoldenEye and threatens to use it to destroy a major European city unless paid off…

Bond's mission was to find and stop the GoldenEye, struggling with a sadistic assassin, a treacherous general, an 'invincible' computer hacker, and most dangerous of all, a colleague and friend…

The opening scene is spectacular with a great bungee jump from a top of a dam to an exciting racing over a cliff in a motorcycle and skydiving into a crushing private plane… Martin Campbell's film comes with a phenomenal tank chase through the streets of St. Petersburg; a brutal showdown in the jungle; and a battle to the death on a high gantry…

Goldeneye's female characters are honestly beautiful with particular techniques… The bad one is Xenia Onatopp (Famke Janssen), an ex-Soviet fighter pilot who tranquilly smokes big cigars and knocks off her victims with her 'killer thighs.' In one scene, she challenges Bond's legendary Aston Martin DB5 to a wild road race outside Monte Carlo with her red Ferrari; in another she was so smart that she snatches a top-secret helicopter from under the noses of the French navy…

The good Bond girl is the irresistible Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) who 'tastes like strawberries.' Natalya possesses all the technical ability to neutralize Janus' scheme or to destroy all computer records with the GoldenEye… As one who survived a mass murder, this lovely beauty is suddenly a marked woman…

The other supporting actors are all fine:

Sean Bean plays a potentially fascinating bad character, the embittered and cynical traitor who was believed to have been killed on a mission… Alec Trevelyan has sworn revenge on the country that was responsible for his parents' suicide…

Alan Cumming plays the 'invincible' Boris Grishenko who sees crime as a chance to show off his skills; and Gottfried John, the renegade ambitious general who provides inside access to Russian military secrets…

Award-winning Judi Dench is terrific as Bond's unshaken spy chief…

Samantha Bond as MoneyPenny puts forward for consideration that Bond's behavior might be interpreted as sexual harassment…

Serena Gordon as the neurotic MI6 assessor Caroline evaluates 007 for just 'trying to show off the size of his… ego.'

One familiar face among the MI6 staff was that of the redoubtable Q, played once again by Desmond Llewelyn who introduces 007 to his latest chariot, the BMW Z3… Although convertible, this agile vehicle doesn't play a significant action role in the film… Q doesn't forget to deliver Bond a typical leather belt, a watch that expels a laser beam, and a silver pen used to clever effect…

The 17th Bond film takes us from Russia, Puerto Rico, Monaco and back to England… It features one of the best title tunes performed by the "Queen of Rock & Roll," Tina Turner…

For trivia buffs: Kate Gayson appears as an extra at the Chemin De Fer table at Monte Carlo's gambling casino; she's the daughter of Eunice Gayson, who played Bond's fetching girlfriend, Sylvia Trench in the first two Bond films, "Dr. No" and "From Russia With Love." It was to Sylvia Trench that Sean Connery uttered his first line of dialog, "I admire your luck, Mr. ...?"
54 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This one deserves much more credit then it has received.
Pietka-21 November 1999
This is by far one of the best Bond films simply because it does not try to be a Bond film. GoldenEye demonstrates an impressive independence that separates it from the tried-and-true-but-getting-boring Bond formula. The one liners are not that great, but the action sequences are mindblowing. The chase scene is the best I have ever seen in any movie. Period. Purists will complain that there is a lack of gadgetry, but let them pout and go back to MacGyver reruns. Possibility is not permissibility. Just because Bond has a snazzy car does not mean that he has to utilize every perk that Q has included. It is a relief that the writers did not force a new scene just to show off the car. The movie does not need one, which helps it to maintain its quality as not just a Bond movie, but a high quality action movie that can stand on its own. You will even find (gasp!) . . . character building! There is actually dialogue between Q and Bond, instead of just a briefing and some commands. Brosnan more than holds his own against past Bonds, and offers some of that GQ gentlemen element found missing in some of the past ones. Bond fan, action fan, any fan, check this one out. I even made my girlfriend watch it, and even she enjoyed it. Chances are you will too.
228 out of 289 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Excellent Bond Film
kinky_chris_2001uk11 March 2005
After a 6 year hiatus the producers needed to make this film good enough to bring Bond back to the forefront, and in comparison to the films that followed, I believe this to be the best. Without a cold war to fuel plot lines, the story is able to step into new territories, with many great plot elements. Pierce Brosnan portrays Bond amazingly well in my opinion, and ties all the classic 007 elements together flawlessly. Although adhering to the Bond foundations, this film has a great, fresh feel to it, I think partly due to the industrial style score by Eric Serra. I think you need to see this film more than once to fully appreciate it, but it is definitely a classic!
138 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The return of James Bond after a six-year hiatus - not vintage Bond, but good fun.
Jonathon Dabell22 March 2006
The James Bond franchise, in cinematic terms, began in 1962 with Dr No. There followed a Bond movie every couple of years or so (the longest gap between two 007 films was the three-year-hiatus separating The Man With The Golden Gun - 1974 - and The Spy Who Loved Me - 1977). Then, in 1989, with the release of Licence To Kill the series seemed to die. The box office returns of that film were disappointing; the then-Bond actor Timothy Dalton was axed; the film itself was presented in a grittier, more adult style than fans were accustomed to; and various legal wranglings put the Bond character into limbo. Six long years went by without a Bond movie and many insiders predicted an end for the British super-spy and his outrageous screen adventures. Too much time had gone by, they said, no-one was interested any longer in the character or the stories. But then Goldeneye came along, with Pierce Brosnan as Bond - it went on to become a commercial hit, propelling its star into the A-list and reinvigorating the entire series.

James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) and his secret agent colleague Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean) infiltrate a Russian military installation on a sabotage mission. During the mission, Alec is apparently killed by the enemy forces but Bond manages a miraculous escape. Several years later, a state-of-the-art helicopter is stolen from the West by some Russian spies and used to destroy a Siberian satellite station. When Bond investigates, he discovers to his surprise that the plot involves his old colleague Alec - who is very much alive, having faked his death in the earlier exchange. Trevelyan's plan is to get control of a powerful satellite called the Goldeneye and to use it to destroy a designated target on Earth - in this case, London. It emerges that his parents were Liensk Cossacks, brutally killed by the British when he was a boy, and he has long plotted a way to have his revenge. Bond teams up with a Russian computer programmer, Natalya Semyonova (Isabella Scorupco) and pursues Trevelyan around the globe in an effort to stop his sinister scheme. The trail leads to Cuba, where Trevelyan has a secret lair from which he is on the very brink of unleashing chaos upon the world.... unless 007 can find a way to thwart him.

Goldeneye begins with a truly outrageous stunt involving Bond freefalling in pursuit of an unpiloted, plummeting airplane. This dumb but enjoyable scene sets the tone for the rest of the film - very much a tongue-in-cheek, improbable, action-orientated romp. Brosnan is OK as Bond, though I still feel Sean Connery and Roger Moore were slightly better suited to the role. Tina Turner's powerful theme song is very good, but the incidental scoring by Eric Serra has a tinny, tacky feel to it that makes one long for John Barry! As the bad guy, Sean Bean is effective enough even if he never quite matches the memorableness of the all-time great Bond villains (eg Dr No, Oddjob, Blofeld, Francisco Scaramanga). The Bond girls are very good in this one - Scorupco is gorgeous and plays a pleasingly resourceful character, while Famke Janssen has great fun as a female baddie who crushes victims between her thighs (what a way to go!) Goldeneye is by no means the best of the Bond series, but one has to be thankful to it for getting the dormant series up and running once more. And, in its pacy, breakneck way, it is undeniably a lot of fun.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brosnan helps resurrect Bond in an "A" effort
TimBoHannon13 August 2004
Much had changed for James Bond since Sean Connery first took the role in 1962. The series had taken a turn for the worse in the seventies, when five films were made but zero good ones were. Still, the public was willing to grant Bond limitless amnesty that decade, even as his escapades grew less and less exciting and more and more campy with each new film. The 70s came and went, ushering in the 80s, which kicked off well with 1981's "For Your Eyes Only." However, it went all downhill from there as the public finally stopped tolerating the bad movies and his popularity tanked in favor of superior competition. Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger became mega stars during that time, and the emergence Indiana Jones was making Bond look dull and decrepit by comparison. Tim Burton's summer sweep of the cinemas with "Batman" in 1989 exacerbated Bond's woes, and when legal disputes arose between the production company and the studio shortly thereafter, it appeared that Bond had finally died his horrible but well deserved death.

When the legal issues were finally put to rest in 1994, it was announced that another Bond film was going to be made, but not with erstwhile incumbent Timothy Dalton. Pierce Brosnan was given the role after being forced to reject it in the late eighties, and production began. The success of the film was crucial. If it lacked spark or came across as campy, it was likely that Bond would be finished forever. With the stakes in mind, the Broccoli family (the Bond producers) hired an all-new creative team and set to work re-establishing 007 in a new era.

I knew none of that when I first saw the film in 1999. It was my introduction to the world of James Bond, and was a truly an exceptional first handshake. Knowing what I know now, and seeing the Bond films I have seen now, I still find it as worthwhile as I did then, and I am forever thankful that it was made well enough to not only resuscitate Bond, but propel him into the nineties with the momentum of a blazing fastball.

The film opens in the eighties, ironically, with a scene depicting the Bond and Agent 006, real name Alec Trevelyan, being detected inside a Soviet chemical weapons factory. This section also introduces the character of Ourumov (Gottfried John), who murders Alec seemingly on a whim.

Nine years later, Bond meets an appealing young lady (Famke Janssen) while driving...make that playfully racing, near Monte Carlo. Suspicious, he follows her to a nearby casino where he finds out that her name is Xenia Onatopp and she carries ties to the Janus crime syndicate in St. Petersburg. He chases Xenia when he suspects an imminent crime, but is not in time to avert her theft of the Tiger--a helicopter that is hardened to all forms of electronic interference.

Back at MI-6 headquarters, the Tiger is spotted via satellite at Russian satellite control facility, and it soon becomes obvious that the copter is merely part of a grander scheme to steal a scary satellite weapon called GoldenEye. What it does can be described with words, but not with as much clarity as seeing it in the movie (there are lapses in the visuals here, but the sight is so impressive that they hardly matter). Bond then departs for St. Petersburg to find the Janus head man (Sean Bean) and stop him from using GoldenEye on a more vulnerable target. Much mystery surrounds the identity of Janus, but it is in the trailer and I suspect most people know it by now.

There are several reasons that "GoldenEye" is the best Bond film made in many, many years. The first is the tone, which has ushered out all of the giddy goofiness of Roger Moore's films and assumed one reminiscent of the earliest Bond films. The sets, the camera work and the dialogue all come across as subtle, subconscious reminders of why Bond became so beloved to begin with.

I always felt there were two major problems with the Bonds of the seventies and eighties. The first is the inane tone (exception: "For Your Eyes Only,"), a point I am driving into the ground. With the same exception, they also featured uniformly unexciting (read it: bad) action plus horrendous acting. There are light moments in "GoldenEye," as there should be, but the correct tone is never compromised.

The only problem is that there is a little too much padding in the middle. The story is well told, although there is a meeting with Bond and Valentin Zukovsky (reprised by Robbie Coltrane in "The World is Not Enough") that has no significance to the advancement of the story. It is unnecessary and causes the film to drag some. After Bond meets Janus, though, prepare for the film to take off, as there will be little rest from there on out.

Just like in the early Bonds, the acting transcends the genre. Pierce Brosnan is the clear focal point, and is mostly successful. He seems too reserved at times, as if he is a little timid at acting his best for fear it might look bad. He does not lack charm, though, because there is something about Pierce that makes him the ultimate ladies man on screen and off.

More successful is Sean Bean as James's opponent. Bean brings cold, subtle intensity to the role that shows off the acting skills that got him cast in "The Fellowship of the Ring." General Ourumov, who is in bed with Janus, provides a second bad guy. Gottfried John portrays him as a demonstrative brute, and his style provides a fine foil to Bean's controlled anger. Alan Cumming plays an evil computer nerd who provides most the light moments I referred to earlier. Fellow X-Man Famke Janssen's character is downright demented, and will not be forgotten easily.

My friends, I have just explained why "GoldenEye" is a most superior Bond film that brought Agent 007 back from the dead and won over a new generation of fans. The best way I can think of to conclude this review is to comment on the film's conclusion. At one point it involves a brawl between Bond and Janus (who is referred to by his real name by that time) that buries just about every other one in the series. While it does quite not take the gold from the fistfight that opens "Thunderball," is does serve as a final reminder that Bond is indeed back, and that he is once again a force best not ignored.
156 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amidst Controversy, Bond Re-Invented with Brosnan...
Ben Burgraff (cariart)13 April 2004
GOLDENEYE, the long-delayed debut of Pierce Brosnan as James Bond, was a film mired in MGM's convoluted legal problems for six years, problems which had nothing to do with the 007 franchise, but which happened to fall at the worst possible time; after Timothy Dalton's 'Serious Bond' experiment, LICENCE TO KILL, failed to break even in U.S. markets. Despite international grosses that made the film a profitable venture, many American critics, long grumbling that the Bond series had outlasted it's welcome, heaped abuse on the newer, leaner direction for 'Bond', and it's taciturn, less light-hearted star...and, with MGM's decision to put the expensive series 'on hold' until their own legal and financial issues could be resolved, LICENCE TO KILL became the unfair 'scapegoat' for the delay.

Much happened during the six-year hiatus; with the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Communist undercurrent of many Bond films (and the subject of most of Ian Fleming's novels) was lost; Richard Maibaum, the series' most prolific screenwriter, passed away, and ill health forced legendary producer Albert ('Cubby') Broccoli to turn over his duties to his daughter Barbara, and stepson, Michael G. Wilson (thus ending the other 'prime' 007 screenwriter's script contributions); many other key production figures would retire, die, or move on; and finally, as the delay continued, Timothy Dalton, nearing 50, announced that he was no longer interested in playing James Bond (sparking rumors that Eon Productions, no longer honor-bound by the senior Broccoli's choices, had given him 'the boot').

While all this opened the door for Pierce Brosnan's long-awaited debut as 007 (after his aborted first attempt, in THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS), with a new 'look' and style for the franchise, whether audiences would even accept a new 'James Bond' adventure was in doubt.

Fortunately, everything 'worked'. Brosnan, now 42, was more ruggedly believable as 007 than he would have been, at 34, and Dame Judi Dench, as the first woman 'M' (referring to Bond as a "sexist, misogynist dinosaur"), proved a perfect successor to the late Bernard Lee. While the plot of the film, involving the master plan of a renegade Russian General (Gottfried John) and an assumed dead 006 (Sean Bean) to use an electronic warfare system (GoldenEye) against England was nothing new, Brosnan's daring-do and one-liners (with humor restored to the franchise), as he proved his value in the new world 'order', found an audience 'primed' for James Bond's return...and the welcome cameo of the series' last original 'regular', "Q" (Desmond Llewelyn, 81, and as cranky as ever), cemented 007's links to both the past and the future.

James Bond's greatest crisis, whether he still had 'Box Office', had been overcome, and with audience favorite Pierce Brosnan in place, his emergence into the 21st century was assured.
67 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bond is Back
jbrolly25 November 1999
Bond is back and better than ever. OK, he may not be better than ever but he's better than he's been in some time. GoldenEye has a great opening scene that is more entertaining than most entire movies. It involves bungee jumping, guns, motorcycles, planes, and nerve gas among other things. Pierce Brosnan's first effort as Bond is a remarkable one. The movie has good acting, good action, and humor. It's great escapism from start to finish. The women are beautiful and Famke Jannsen and Sean Bean play their roles well. GoldenEye also boasts one of the best finales of the series in which Bond must take on the villain atop a gigantic satellite dish. As stated earlier, Brosnan is terrific as Bond. He's suave, witty, charming, looks good in a suit, and has a capacity for action. In conclusion, this is a thrilling Bond from start to finish and should not be missed. Out of 4 stars - 3.5
99 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bridging the Bond generations!
uds322 September 2002
After a 6 year hiatus due to protracted legal wranglings as to WHO owned the BOND film rights, GOLDENEYE was finally made! It was worth the wait! With the almost impossible assignment of both retaining the quintessential METHOD of the Connery period and the need to drag Bond screaming into the new millennium and its new technology, Martin Campbell actually pulled it off.

Brosnan, though not my personal favorite I have to say, did a damn near remarkable job, by not only bringing elements of Connery, Dalton and Moore to the role, but by stamping it with his own identity (he WAS actually first choice ahead of Dalton but was contractually tied to REMINGTON STEELE and could not gain a release!)

Wishing to link back with the earlier mega successful Bonds, the very title of GOLDENEYE was inspirational, immediately bringing to mind the latent image of GOLDFINGER. Not one half bad title song either compared to some recent efforts.

With Bernard Lee's sad demise, Judy Dench made a brilliant replacement as M, all balls and bravado. Similarly, Moneypenny is now a strictly new-age secretary admonishing 007 for his sexual harassment of her good self! Dearest of all, Desmond Llewelyn still shines as "Q" berating 007 for his behaviour and telling him to "grow up."

Famke Janssen is a throw-back to the good old days of Bond badgirls as the aptly named Xenia Onatopp. Izabella Scorupco however must be the most beautiful of all the "good" Bond girls. Feminine to the core and everything the average man would want to love and protect she is is simply yummy.....no more so than when she chides 007's cold-war repartee with his Russian counterpart as "Boys with Toys" Soo cute!

Action was at a premium from the rip-snorting bungee-jump (pre-credits) to the climactic battle atop the communications tower. Everything gelled in this movie to elevate it to amongst the top 5 Bond films...no question! Top dialog, state of the art fx, innuendos on tap and a really first rate villain. Shame none of the later Brosnan outings have come close to this one!

8.8 out of 10!
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly 'golden'
smla0222 August 2004
*** 1/2

Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Izabella Scorupco, Sean Bean, and Famke Janssen.

Double-0 agent James Bond, still as suave and sophisticated as he was in the last film, enters Russia in search of the stolen Goldeneye satellite.

After six years without 007, the fans needed a movie like this. Just about everything in this works, from the witty plot to Pierce Brosnan as the new Bond. And I can't review this without complimenting Sean Bean as the series best villain.

Rank in the Series: 1st
74 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can't help it - this is the best
Rammstein-215 February 2000
Sorry y'all. I think this is the best James Bond ever. Not only because Pierce Brosnan IS James Bond, or because it feels modern having a woman (and what a woman!) cast as M. Or even the fact that this film actually is just a little bit believable...

I love the feel of it. The part where JB races through ... Moscow, is it? I dunno ... with a tank is just superb.

There is only one thing I dislike: why oh why did they have to put the BMW in the film? They don't use it!It's in the film for only a couple of minutes, not even that. Product Placement at its worst. And it's such an UGLY car!
88 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Favorite of the Bonds
mOVIemAN5622 March 2005
After coming of the failures of The Living Daylights and License to Kill, Bond bounces back with a new 007. James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) is sent to discover why a satellite station at Severnaya has been destroyed by a satellite named Goldeneye. Along his mission, Bond receives help from the joyful CIA agent Jack Wade and the beautiful Severnaya operative Natalya Simonova(Izabella Scorupco).

Throughout the movie Bond fights in a library and drives a tank through Moscow. The story for a Bond movie was solid and Goldeneye brought my favorite villain in Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean). Brosnan does a great job as the charming 007 and Izabella Scorupco as the Bond girl. Goldeneye comes along with lovable characters and hateful villains, amazing action sequences and a great hatred between Bond and Trevelyan.

Goldeneye. Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Izabella Scorupco, Sean Bean, Gottfried John. 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars.
50 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Decent bond
f-conklin11 February 2012
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst Bond film ever
David6 January 2006
I hated this one. There were just too many implausibilities. (See the IMDb Goofs section.) 1. I wasn't buying the woman who kills men with her thighs. And that scene near the beginning seemed almost pornographic, too. 2. When she tries to kill Bond that way, he just seemed like a weenie. I mean her thighs are quite shapely and not at all musclebound, while he on the other hand has beat up hundreds of bad guys with his bare hands. 3. Bond not only catches up with the plane it mid-air, but he also manages to fly into it and take control. This is what I would expect of Bugs Bunny, not James Bond. 4. They link up with an enemy computer system on the train. (It's been 10 years since I saw this movie, so I don't remember the details, but I know how hard it is to get interfaces working on systems that want to talk to each other.)

Bond has never been about verisimilitude, but this was ridiculous.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bigger is not better.
lawrence-1428 November 1999
Pierce Brosnan is outstanding as 007 in GOLDENEYE, but the film lacks the spirit of Timothy Dalton's two cracking adventures, THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS and LICENCE TO KILL. This film, alone, earned twice as much as those two and in a way it's sad because it shows that people are coming to watch Bond films that now concentrate on action, modern technology etc, than those which have these elements but still have a lot more in them. Timothy Dalton should return.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
GoldenEye - Hollow Praise, Hollow Movie
Tony Bush8 May 2009
In a telling scene in Goldeneye, Judy Dench (M) accuses Brosnan (Bond) thus: "You're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur - a relic of the cold war." Excellent lines, barbed, insulting; great scene, accentuating the fact that despite his background, Bond is a timeless, transcendent character. Most of the rest of the film doesn't live up to the sentiments, the edge, the focus and quality of it, sadly. It's almost like an intrusion from another, better, more creatively realised movie (The Third Man, for instance, from which it cribs some of its' plot). This, along with the haunting night-time meeting in a "graveyard" for monuments of Soviet Russian icons (a smartly allegorical instance) are perhaps the only truly inspired facets of this film.

There is a sort of fragmented schizophrenic quality about GE that relates to tone, content and pacing. From the outset, with the breathtaking bungee jump off the dam, a real stunt by a real guy that manages to be both visually exciting and believable, my first impression was – if they're going to stick with this sort of approach; we're in for something special.

Next, we meet the new James Bond, complete with floppy bouffant hair, hanging upside down in a toilet stall whilst a Russian guard has a bowel action. "Sorry, forgot to knock," quips Bond - before cold cocking the defecating Soviet. What? Sorry, forgot to knock? How lame is that? What an awful, misplaced, miscalculated line. It's void and meaningless, ineffectual and completely lacking any sort of wit or contextual relevance. Now suddenly we're in sub-par Roger Moore territory. Even something like: "Just dropped in," would have at least referenced how Bond got there in the first place. Radio Station Bond suddenly tuned out here, signal lost.

Then, for a while, we're back on track with Bond meeting up with 006 and the planting of the bombs, Trevelyan's convincing "execution" by Orumov and Bond's escape. Great – a return to action- thriller mode once more.

Only, instead of Bond making it to the plane on the motorbike at the last instant, wrestling for control as it slips over the edge of the cliff and flying triumphantly away, what happens? Bond has to fall over the cliff after the plane has fallen before him, skydive to catch it up – defying the laws of physics – and then fly away. What for, exactly, and why did they do this? It ruined what could have been a perfectly good conclusion to the PCS. It's as if they just had to add that bit of complete stupidity, as though driven by some irresistible instinct, unable to help themselves. Additionally, has anyone ever noticed that the Russian chemical facility is at the base of a dam and that both are supposed to be situated on a very high mountain where it's possibly a trifle unusual to find a massive dam? And when you see the mountain base from above, where's the dam suddenly gone? Any ideas?

As for Brosnan, a prize cheese if ever, he cosmetically smarmed and smirked through the movie with the clumsy over-confidence of an actor who thinks he's extending his range, when he's really showing off his limitations against the backdrop of a more skilled supporting cast who unfortunately looked like they were outshining him even when underplaying. He should always be steered clear of real actors - for his own sake. And was it just my imagination, but didn't I see his right eyebrow strain to rise in an instinctive Moore homage a few times? I'm pretty sure about this.

The scene on the beach is jarring, horribly manufactured. The Broz doesn't do emoting in any way convincingly and should never be encouraged to try. Robert Mitchum's advice for non-actors of "Just walk around and try not to bump into the furniture" is the level he's pitched and stranded at. All that staring off into the middle distance whilst the breeze tickles the bouffant is truly embarrassing. Campbell's attempts at injecting "real" drama into this sometimes ill-rendered hack-cartoon reality fails to gel, adding to the episodic feel of the film and further to a lack of singular vision.

The pacing in GE feels all wrong - it speeds up, slows down, speeds up, like a Ford Cortina with the clutch burning out. And although some of the set-pieces are impressive, it doesn't seem to be able to sustain optimum thrust for long, as others seem painfully dragged out. Not helping in the least is the score which, it has to be said, is a truly dreadful thing of epic proportions. The worst and most offensive example takes place when Bond has a car race with Onatop. What were they thinking? Was it purposely intended for use in screenings only for the deaf? Those notes meant to signify car horns are crushingly ugly and horribly grating. A musical travesty capable of inducing suicidal inclinations in hyenas and hypomanics.

What never ceases to puzzle and amuse on a personal level is when this film is rated highly by Bond "fans." Ultimately, it provides little more than a flashy, over-hyped, vapid, MTV-influenced pot-pourri of greatest hits moments which don't add up to a satisfying whole. It's like one of those mediocre compilation albums where you simply flick through to the songs you like, enjoying the few good bits, and arbitrarily disregarding the rest. Fleeting surface flash and gloss with no real heart or soul. A hollow Bond movie garnering hollow praise.
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Bond film and Brosnan's best outing
ametaphysicalshark24 March 2008
Six years passed between the release of "Licence to Kill" and "GoldenEye", Pierce Brosnan's debut as Bond, and those six years were clearly beneficial to the franchise. "GoldenEye" has its fair share of flaws, but it feels revitalized and fresh, unlike the film it follows, "Licence to Kill", a lethargic offering that was deservedly the lowest grossing Bond film when adjusted for inflation. "GoldenEye" makes a clean break from previous franchise films, becoming self-aware for the first time and taking on an almost revisionist feel by casting Judi Dench as M and having her call Bond a 'sexist, misogynist dinosaur'. Even the Bond girls are in no way dependent on Bond- if you count the villain she was clearly the uh... 'dominant' half of that relationship, and even the 'good' girl bossed Bond around.

In a way this is refreshing to see, and Brosnan fits the part excellently, never losing his composure, always with a witty one-liner to throw back. The main reason I like Brosnan a lot better than Moore is that he doesn't take the 'class' act too far. He's classy, charming, witty, but also cruel and ruthless when he needs to be. I don't see the validity of the claims that he was the wimpiest Bond; he's got far more physicality than Moore and a much harder edge, generally speaking.

"GoldenEye" does have its flaws, of course. The film could have been a whole 20 minutes shorter, the musical score is not one of the best of the franchise (but not nearly as bad as some suggest), and the humor, outside of Brosnan's one-liners, falls flat most of the time. I'm also not sure about the huge emphasis on technology, which is taken too far at times here, and would be taken even farther into the land of the completely ridiculous later in the series. Then again, it was the mid-90's and technology was a hot topic. The film handles its subject matter well for the most part. The film's action set-pieces are terrific and the sets look beautiful. One of the things that impressed me most about "GoldenEye" is that when it went for drama it succeeded reasonably well. Sean Bean and Famke Janssen make a terrific team of villains and Martin Campbell keeps the film moving at a swift pace, drastically improving on John Glen's work in "Licence to Kill".

"GoldenEye" may not be the best Bond film, but it's a welcome addition to the series. Brosnan is not as good a Bond as Connery at his best, but he's on par with Lazenby and Dalton, if not better, and most certainly better than Roger Moore. 20 minutes shorter and "GoldenEye" could have been an absolute classic, but as it is it's an excellent Bond offering and one of the better Bond films. The title song is terrific, isn't it?

10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Swell Looking Bond, Wrong Feel
Bill Slocum15 December 2009
Pierce Brosnan was the best looking and least likable of the six actors to play 007 for the Eon production team. No film demonstrates this better than this, his first.

It's a new decade for James Bond. Now he works for a woman, has to be evaluated for mental fitness, and with the fall of the Soviet Union must rely on the friendship of old enemies not to mention the enmity of old friends. All this comes into play when he is sent to discover the reason for an explosion at a Russian satellite monitoring station.

When "GoldenEye" came out, more than six years had passed since the last Bond movie. Many wondered if time had passed James by. The movie plays this up when Bond is called a "sexist, misogynistic dinosaur" by his new M (Judi Dench). Bond seems unfazed by this, and everything else.

"Trick is to quit while you're still ahead," says his most charming adversary in this adventure, Xenia Onatopp (Famke Janssen).

"That's one trick I've never learned," Bond replies.

Brosnan looks fantastic in the action sequences, better than any Bond before him, and his James Coburn-like grin rivals Connery's smirk and Moore's raised eyebrow for a facial signature. Too bad his overall smugness gets in the way. Here's one Bond you actually root against, especially when pitted against Onatopp. Employing missionary zeal if not position in her quest for the perfect kill, Onatopp is one of Bond's most memorable adversaries, and a riot as played by the brave Janssen.

Also helping matters a lot is the film's other Bond girl, Izabella Scorupco, and a nifty title song from Tina Turner written by Bono and The Edge that captures the spirit if not the sound of 1960s Bond movies. Q (Desmond Llewelyn) gets off some good lines.

What loses me about this movie most is the second half, where a once-taut and plausible story (well, except for Bond jumping off a cliff and into an airplane) gives way to a lot of nonsense where Bond drives a tank through St. Petersburg and outraces a speeding train. Crazy visuals are one thing, but Bond kills more Russians in this movie than he did in the whole series up to this point, and many of them are innocent patriots who merely get in his way. So much for the end of the Cold War!

Director Martin Campbell, who would go on to unretire Bond more effectively a second time in the later "Casino Royale", fashions a clean visual look that gives the action sequences added oomph. There's some wheat among the chaff in terms of dialogue, though the writers overdo the humor probably trying to compensate for the previous Bond, Timothy Dalton, whose sober mien was (unfairly) criticized by many. Let's just say that our first image of Brosnan as Bond shouldn't be of him hanging upside down in a toilet stall, but it is.

The Brosnan of "GoldenEye" presents us with a good actor and an electric screen presence, but he lacks the occasional deferential quality other Bond actors had; the ability to look at his situation with an encouraging shrug or wink that allowed you to feel some kind of bond with him. Brosnan's about coolness and distance, which detract somewhat from the generally decent "GoldenEye", and would become more of a problem in time.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What's the motive
ADAM-5329 November 1998
This is probably the weakest in the series, with a Bond (Brosnan) and a villain (Bean) who simper at one another more like girls in a convent school than two hardened secret agents. After an absence of almost eight years it is easy to see why a new generation of fans, who'd never seen Connery, Moore and some decent Bond films on the big screen, would be taken in by what looks like a TV movie. They should get some of the older films on video or DVD and find out what they're missing, because this one's got TURKEY written all over it. To start with the opening sequence: these usually create the atmosphere in which the audience is able to suspend disbelief for the rest of the film. Unfortunately, the death-defying opening stunt, where Bond parachutes over a cliff, defies the laws of gravity and catches up with a plane already in freefall simply by leaping after it, is clearly just nonsense. Compare this with the opening scene in Moonraker, in which Moore's Bond catches up with a man already in freefall by using known parachuting techniques. Sorry, guys, but even Moonraker is better able to suspend disbelief than this! At least Moonraker didn't look like it was filmed entirely with a computer graphics package. The next problem is the Bean character's motivation. He changes his reason for doing what he's doing two or three times: his family was sent back to Russia to be executed by Stalin (which must make Mr Bean at least 65 to start with); he hates Britain (well, that's not unreasonable...); he also hates Bond; he's doing it for the money! Yea Gods! Can't he just make up his mind? They've given him the scar, so he's the bad guy! And was he already a traitor at the time of the opening sequence or not? Why doesn't anyone bother to tell us? Aside from these implausibilities, there is the problem of Brosnan. He just hasn't got any screen presence; he sounds American and he looks like he would be unable to pick a fight with a packet of fried potatoes, let alone a real tough-guy. After two Bond films (The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill) in which Timothy Dalton had gone back to Fleming's books for inspiration and found a man haunted by his past, who is sometimes forced to question the sanity of what he does but who, when action is called for, does not hesitate to do what he knows to be right, Brosnan looks a trifle inadequate to say the least.
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow, What An Opening.....But After That?
ccthemovieman-12 March 2006
Perhaps the best part of this 130-minute film is the first 10.5 minutes. It's so spectacular that the rest of the film almost becomes a letdown.

When I first saw this 10 years ago, I thought that opening action scene, capped by the most outrageous stunt I had seen to that point in film - Bond falling off a cliff and catching up in mid-flight to a falling airplane, landing in the cockpit and righting the plane - was, of course, ridiculous but great fun to watch.

The rest of the film is more typical Bond silliness with far less spectacular scenes. When it comes to gadgets, sexual innuendos, unrealistic action with Bond escaping from impossible situations, lots of pretty women and exotic scenery to ogle, these James Bond films always give plenty of the above. Sad to say, in this film, the dialog is much dumber than usual and the fake Russian accents are hard to decipher which is very annoying.

One good point: there is almost no profanity in this film, even minor stuff....but overall, it's just a "fair" Bond flick. decent but nothing to write home about, except to note that it was Pierce Brosnan's debut as Bond and he is fine in that role.
18 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A new, exciting chapter, that makes 'Bond' History
Benjamin Wolfe12 September 2006
Enter Pierce Brosnan. I was floored at what I thought this would be, verses what this played-out like on the big screen. From the first scene, this was a brand new and exquisite 007. A shining 'Freshman' in the chain, but, an experienced veteran to the screen. Brosnan was amazing! Even Connery was interviewed in regard to the newest entry of the 'Bonds'. He said he thought that Pierce did an outstanding job, he just thought that 'they' (the Production co.) should have let Tarrintino direct it. Whoa! Now there's a strange adventure waiting to happened. The 'Dam' scene that was in the beginning along with the breath-taking original soundtrack was a wider dimension than I had thought it would be. The 'THX' in the theater I saw this in, rocked!! My heart pounded.

The pace was just what it should be, and the storyline was right on top. The entanglement of Bond however with the Russian Villianis, was a little different this time around however, she was quite a bit more on the controlling side of strength and power, than I can remember from the decades past...

Brosnan to me has always been a winner, from the 'Remmington Steele' days to 'Detonator I' and 'II'. He always seems to bring a certain dignified respect and style to the roles he plays. This was no exception. From the Russian Satellite communications station to the beach, the scenery was wondrous. This Bond was a solid addition to the 'Broccoli' cereal.

The new characters and the changing of the Mi-6 guard was interesting to me too. except for 'Q' good olé' Desmond, now late. I was, well not ready for the Judi Dench, 'M' but she turned it around from seeming like an irritated mother figure to a respectable boss. And what can you say about Sean Bean as the switch-over agent, he is a grand villain. Bravo to the cast and the director.

The music the action, and the performances, were fresh and worth waiting for. After all I had been waiting for a good return to Bond. This, without a doubt, is one if not the most 'suave' James yet.

I had heard some years back in the eighties that Brosnan was looking to come up for the role of 00, but that he was beat out. But I am glad he made it and it was the right story for him and the perfect timing. In addition they sold a ton of those new BMW two seater convertibles mainly due to this one. Funnier thing is, that as for the sophomore Bond, Tomorrow Never Dies was good fun and at times gritty action, then along came the third installment, The World is not enough, which for me was a little better than the preceding (1997) but then came, "Die Another Day" (2002) This had the cheesy- effects, and one of the lamest plots, after the first scenes of the film, were outstanding it quickly dropped, just like the Titanic setting sail. In closing for me, good Ole' "GoldenEye", is Brosnan's seminal straight-up action, spy-role Masterwork.

I say, 'Good show'. Long live Bond, James Bond.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An anemic lead cannot salvage a series that is running out of steam.
Jason-3816 January 1999
There are lite colas, lite beers, and lite cigarettes. Pierce Brosnan is "Bond-lite." For those of us who actually saw the early James Bond films with Sean Connery in their original release (beginning with DR. NO in my case), this is a prime example of diminishing returns. For those of us who actually read the original Ian Fleming books, this is just another distortion of Fleming's original character.

This film is slickly made, but no amount of camouflage can conceal the fact that Brosnan is wildly miscast as Bond. At best he is warmed over Roger Moore. It's really regrettable that Timothy Dalton could not have continued in the role. In an ideal world, Dalton would have replaced Moore years before he actually assumed the role.

Comparisons may be odious, but Dalton really resembled the character that Ian Fleming wrote. He made a concerted effort to play Bond the way that Fleming wrote the character. Brosnan is handicapped by his fundamental unsuitablity for the role. Rather than investing in what Fleming wrote, he settles for an unflappable attitude to danger that is a crashing bore. These points, and the fact that he doesn't look as if he could stand up to a twelve year old boy in a fight, sabotage the film in the last analysis.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The worst Bond ever
vostf16 June 2001
Timothy Dalton created a new 007 in the Living Daylights and Licence to Kill. Year in year out, the Bond franchise was growing enough cash to dare be a little more creative. But after a 6-year break the producers understood they'd better stop quarreling, so they were eager to switch on the cash machine again.

I prefer to think Goldeneye became the biggest 007 success thanks to the 6-year break. Audiences have had time to breathe and after a 6-year leave it's a real comeback not just a periodical show/nuisance. Because to me Goldeneye is a reel nuisance. A James Bond movie is not top art -ok- that is just meant to be entertaining. But imagine a fast entertainment theme park: you got a 3 min credit to get entertained here, 2 1/2 min there, 1 min for a pee stop and so on for every attraction. This is Goldeneye: everything is fake and jerky. First, Pierce Brosnan is dull. The storyline is heavy-handed yet not so heavy as the PP shots (Product Placement) for BMW, Omega or Perrier (did Eurocopter pay?). Tina Turner has been called as a substitute for Shirley Bassey and her memorable Goldfinger song. Eventually continuity makes as much sense as in a video game. This blinker clinging flick starts with Bond jumping down a dry and warm valley only to emerge a little latter at the top of a snowy mountain, and the end is a shameless carbon copy of 'You Only Live Twice (1967)' (qv).

Before Goldeneye I had seen the whole series on TV. After this poor theatrical experience I said I would never go back to see a Br007snan. Never say never again, I went to see The World is not enough. Well, not too bad but Brosnan is definitely too pale a Bond.
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
review
merem117 June 2017
This is a strong James Bond 007 movie. A really entertaining film. Pierce Brosnan is a great actor who is awesome as 007. Sean Bean is a great villain. The female characters are strong and do a good job in their roles. The action sequences are amazing. I have always liked the story of the film, it was interesting.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Belated Debut
bkoganbing30 August 2009
GoldenEye marked the debut finally of Pierce Brosnan as 007. Brosnan who wanted the part, but couldn't do it back in the Eighties because he was committed to Remington Steele finally got to play the part that his fans said he was born for. After GoldenEye it was more than just Pierce Brosnan fans saying it.

The title refers to a Russian satellite with nuclear capabilities that any number of folks would like to get their hands on. The ones who do are the Russian Mafia, in league with a traitorous Russian general played by Gottfried John.

Some others that James Bond has to face here are Russian pilot Famke Janssen a girl dedicated to her mission who resists Bondification and a traitor within the ranks of the British MI5 itself. Not the least of Bond's problems are a new "M" in the person of Judy Dench who also resists Bondification.

Another milestone and a tribute to new relations with Russia is the filming of large portions of the story in St. Petersburg and I'm not talking about the Florida retirement city. It's hardly a first, the film Gorky Park with William Hurt and Lee Marvin was shot in Moscow during the Eighties while a thawing Soviet Union was still in control.

Izabella Scorupco plays a Russian computer programmer who embraces Bondification gladly as she aids 007 in his efforts. She is the only survivor of a massacre at a Russian tracking station instituted by the Russian Mafia and the traitorous general.

My favorite in the film however is another Russian traitor, Alan Cummming playing a nerd Russian computer programmer who defects to the bad guys. He steals every scene he's in.

Brosnan acquits himself well after the most popular of Bonds, Sean Connery and Roger Moore have passed from the scene. He would do three more films and unlike Connery was able to do other roles and well and still be accepted for them as well.

Still Brosnan's 007 does have the style needed to carry off the part and carry it off he does.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this