IMDb > GoldenEye (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
GoldenEye

GoldenEye More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 40: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Brilliant

Author: mjw2305 from England
20 January 2007

Since Connery gave up his licence to kill, we've seen Roger Moore's tongue-in-cheek portrayal, that wasn't without it's charm, but always seemed a little more humorous than in previous outings. Timothy Dalton brought a serious and gritty take on the character, which reflected Ian Fleming's original vision very well, but he still lacked the charisma of Connery's Bond.

In Goldeneye, we see Pierce Brosnan take on the role of our favourite spy, and being the gifted actor that his is, he re-captures a lot of what made Connery so special, while imposing himself on the character of Bond really well. The movie itself it simply brilliant, it has a fine plot (one of the best in the series) and its packed with great action and stunts that are believable and very impressive. The introduction of Judi Dench as 'M' was also a inspired move, she slips into the role effortlessly. Everything in this thrilling instalment adds up in the tradition of the genre, definitely one of the best Bond movies.

James Bond's irresistible and brilliant comeback

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
13 May 2002

During the first few years of the 90's I was absolutely certain that the filmmakers would never come up with another James Bond film. Somehow the whole idea of a new Bond movie seemed just so bloody improbable, ridiculous and absurd thought it could never happen. World had simply changed too much and to me Bond was pretty much a character that belonged in the 60's-80's but no longer in the 90's world. But despite of my expectations they did "Goldeneye" anyway and thankfully "Licence to kill" (better one of Timothy Dalton's Bond films but far from the biggest 007 highlights) didn't turn out to be the last part of the series.

"Goldeneye" is already an important part of the cinema history. It was a strong and stylish comeback-Bond and Pierce Brosnan's excellent debut in the role of the British secret agent meant a great rise of his career. Everything in "Goldeneye" is perfect and brilliant. I had to even watch it twice in the theater. Action scenes are thrilling, exciting and breathtakingly enjoyable, acting and characters just as irresistible as they should always be in a good Bond movie (today it's so moving to see late Desmond Llewelyn in one of his last performances), plot inventive and stylishly modern and theme song as performed by Tina Turner is one of the best in the history of Bond themes. If you love James Bond movies, you'll love "Goldeneye" very, very much.

What an amazing comeback

Author: tigerfrostxo (tigerfrostxo@aol.com) from London
16 June 2001

What an amazing comeback. This truly is one of the best bond films ever made. With a game based on the film too Goldeneye is all you need. I have seen this film so many times and have never got bored. When it comes on TV ill sit there and watch it just knowing that ill be entertained. A stunning performance by Brosnan compliments the film as well as the locations and music.

THE BEST BOND,ACTOR AND MOVIE

Author: Rambo77-4 from MI6 headquarters
12 June 2000

WOW, what a movie. This was the one that got me interested into the Bond movies. I have seen 16 of the 19 and this one is at the top of my book. Non-stop action, great story,excellent villans, great opener, cool action sequences. It is my Bond movie of choice. Pierce Brosnan is the best Bond it is just to bad he didn't start when he was supposed to(In the Living Daylights). Everyone said how good Sean Connery was and Brosnan was aweful. So I didn't watch this movie with any high standards, but it really supprised me!!! This one ranks up there with THUNDERBALL,TOMORROW NEVER DIES, AND MOONRAKER. Excellent movie to watch on a friday night with friends. Not extremely bad in the improper conduct department(considering that this is a Bond movie). If you have never seen a Bond movie see this one first, or even if you have. This one won't let you down.**********(10)out of 10.

Bond is back with a vengeance...

Author: 040458h from Nova Scotia, Canada
18 January 2000

I'll be honest, the first time I watched Goldeneye it didn't do a thing for me. This was mainly because the plot seemed to be jumping aimlessly around. Boy, was I wrong.

After watching it again and working out all the twists, I realized that Goldeneye is a real action masterpiece. The storyline and villian were the best of any Bond film to date (admit it, Blofeld was just ridiculous after a while). Brosnan's portrayal of Bond is marvelous, the lines "Bond, James Bond," and "Vodka martini, shaken, not stirred," roll of his tongue like he was born to say them. Connery's tux has been very effectively filled, though certainly not replaced.

Goldeneye is like a cold breeze in the desert, its refreshing. After 7 films starring the foolish Roger Moore and 2 staring homely and grim Timothy Dalton (who I didn't mind, by the way)the Bond franchise has finally had a worthy addition.

My rating, 10/10.

Fantastic New Beginning for Bond

Author: Andrew Hobson (lucozade@netcomuk.co.uk) from Chester, England
21 March 1999

Of course, I'm biased, but this film is fantastic - the villain, Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean), who almost had more money than God, is excellent, the women are sexy, and the inclusion of Robby Coltrane and Minnie Driver as his mistress is pure genius. All the classic Bond elements are back in place, and the film spawned an amazing N64 game. Pity about Tomorrow Never Dies, though.

The Best Brosnan Bond

Author: rh86 from United Kingdom
2 February 2007

In the early 1990s there was a great deal of concern about the Bond series. Licence to Kill didn't do as well as expected while the changing world events made people ask whether Bond was relevant. But in 1995 Bond proved himself in this excellent film. Directed by Martin Campbell (who also directed Casino Royale) Goldeneye puts Bond firmly back on the map. It addresses the criticms levelled at Bond in several ways. His sexism is now countered by Judi Dench's M while the writers bought Bond back to Russia, once his enemy now a not always trustworthy ally.

Pierce Brosnon never did better, not quite of the standard of Connery but comes pretty close and just manages to combine the qualities of Connery and Moore. The Bond girls also stand out in this movie. At one end of the spectrum there is the ultra realistic Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco), a computer technician who is thrust into Bond's world after being betrayed by a Russian General. Unlike other Bond girls it takes her a while before she actually falls for Bond. At the other end of the spectrum there is Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp and her killer thighs, probably the most over the top Bond girl ever. As for the villains, Sean Bean does well as Alec Trevelyan, a former MI6 agent turned arms dealer.

Bond purists complained about the lack of gadgets and Eric Serra's avantgarde score (which is actually pretty good aside from it being mostly taken from Leon), but ignore them and enjoy.

Pierce Brosnan's First and Best Bond Movie

Author: dmbjam29 from United States
30 January 2007

After the 6 year lay-off from 1989 "Licensed to Kill," the Bond franchise returns in 1995 with "Goldeneye." I believe this film proves to be not only be one of the best Pierce Brosnan film, but one of the better movies in the whole franchise.

During the six year lay off, the international spectrum changed with the Berlin Wall and communism falling. The Cold War was always the force which drove the James Bond series and the filmmakers needed to transition Bond into the New World Order of the early 1990s.

The movie has many great strengths, the strongest being Pierce Brosnan himself. There has not been a better Bond since Sean Connery. Both men seem to have this incredible presence on camera, and look dashing in their suits. Another strength is the plot. Unfortunately for spoiler reasons I can not disclose much information, but the movie examines a personal side of Bond in regards to his relationship with one of his former Double-0 agents. Another strength is the addition of Judi Densch as M. She is absolutely terrific in the role. She provides a perfect contrast to Bond and the franchise certainly took a tremendous leap forward in her casting.

The rest of the typical Bond ingredients are there, exotic locations (Meditterean, St Petersburg and Cuba). The gadgets with Q (Desmond Llewelyn) and the action sequences are great (primarily the opening sequences, climatic fight at the end and the tank chase in Russia).

The only negatives were very slight. I felt that there were too many witty one-liners, I thought Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) was a little bit less than average in the performance as Bond girl and I thought the musical score was unnecessarily bland. The music was very disappointing along with the theme song.

Looking back at the four films Brosnan did this one is the best. It took the Bond franchise in a slightly new direction (however not as drastic as the Daniel Craig film would). And from top to bottom it has one of the strongest plot, action sequences and feel of a Bond film not only being the best in Brosnan's career but being one of the better films in the whole franchise. It is a must see for Bond fans and should be an enjoyable experience for movie goers alike.

8 out 10!

ONE OF THE BEST JAMES BOND MOVIES!

Author: cemjuner
20 January 2000

Goldeneye is one of the best james bond movie ever made. It has action, humor, a cool scenery, a neat cast, numerous gadgets and weapons, edge-of-your-seat entertainment and a well-developed plot with good quotes. But Xenia Onatopp is what really made it good. Over the years Bond has had many villains, but hardly any were women. Goldeneye finally came up with a good woman villainess, though Mayday was also good, Xenia was so hot. She had her unique way of killing people by suffocation between the thighs and she was sexy. Villainess in movies should be more like Xenia. Xenia was the best bond villainess and will be missed.

My Favourite Bond Film.

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
1 January 2012

Goldeneye Was A Brave Attempt, This Was A Point When The Cold War Was Over So They Couldn't Rely On That For A Plot And Die Hard Was An Action Hero Movie Franchise That Had 2 Entries In A Very Successful Movie Franchise Enough To Put 007 To Competition. Also As An Opinion Note They Had To Recover After That Turkey Liscence To Kill Which Was Utter Crap.

Martin Campbell Not Only Wowed The Audiences With This But They Also Made The First Movie-Based Video Game.

This Is My Favourite Because Brosnan Plays Bond Exactly How You'd Imagine An "Ultimate Womanizer Spy" To Act, Even Connery Complimented His Performance Saying "I Thought Pierce Brosnan Was A Good Choice. I Liked GoldenEye. Timothy Dalton Never Got A Handle On The Role. He Took It Seriously In The Wrong Way. The Person Who Plays Bond Has To Be Dangerous. If There Isn't A Sense Of Threat, You Can't Be Cool." And I Agree With That Quote 100%.

Sean Bean Is Also A Good Bond Villain, He Isn't Exactly The Cheezy Villain Like Some Of The Other Bond Films (Blofeld In Diamonds Are Forever Anyone?) He Brings Something Truly Amazing To The Character.

If You Want A Reason As To Why Its My Favourite (Besides The Fact That It's All Personal Taste) Is That It Has The Coolest Gaget (The Exploding Pen), Has One Of The Best Villains, Its What You'd Expect From A 007 Film And Gives You So Much More. I Also Thought That Alan Cumming Was Hilarious In His Role, "YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!"

Overall The Best Bond Film.

PS For Anyone Who Is Interested My Favourite Bond Films Are: 1. Goldeneye (1995) 2. For Your Eyes Only (1981) 3. Die Another Day (2002) 4. From Russia With Love (1963) 5. Goldfinger (1964) (Brosnan, Moore And Connery Are My Favourite Bond Performances In That Order)

EDIT: Better Luck Next Time Slugheads. By God! I AM INVINCIBLE! (Just me joking around)