IMDb > GoldenEye (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
GoldenEye

GoldenEye More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 39: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

Far-fetched James Bond

Author: filmnoir-2
25 September 1998

Another Bond film about a Soviet electromagnetic weapon this is very far-fetched (particularly with the orgasmic villainess) as usual and better digested more than once (with time elapsed between viewings).

a ho-hum Bond movie

Author: Sean Kaye from Canada
15 July 2012

I'm not a big Brosnan fan. Watching him is like watching a runway model try to act. His acting seems 'flat'. He's sort of like David Bowie or Sting in that he seems overly nervous of letting down his pretentious front in fear that he will be left vulnerable. It's either that with these kinds of people or they are just plain shallow and do not have anymore depth than that, who knows, surely we never will. Anyhow, I think he's definitely the wrong person to be playing Bond.

Famke Janssen was nice eye candy and a pretty good depiction of a bond woman -- obviously hot, intelligent, classy but also sensuous -- she was well cast and played her part well.

The old James Bond films were the best. Not because they were old, just because they were better.

I doubt producers read these IMDb comments (they should if they don't), but these modern Bond movies could really use some surf guitar for the incidental music. The reason I think surf guitar works is probably for a few reasons -- it's cool yet cheesy and gives a sense of comedic release without having something overtly comedic happening visually. Sound and music is very important yet is too often overlooked. The best modern soundtrack I have heard was for Get Smart (2008 release). That movie btw totally blew most of these 'thriller' type bond movies out of the water -- all that and it was actually a comedy -- go figure.

Overrated

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
27 February 2011

I remember that a big fuss was made about this film when it first came out in 1995. It was supposed to usher in a whole new era of Bond adventures and Pierce Brosnan was much lauded as the best Bond of all time. But the years have not been kind to this film. After the admittedly impressive stunt-scene opening on the gigantic dam, it lapses into crudity and chaos, with an embarrassingly bad car chase thrown in for no reason, a cringeworthy script and a distinct lack of scene-setting for both our hero and his motivations. I admit it, I've been spoiled by Daniel Craig's outing CASINO ROYALE, which is at least three times as good as this effort.

The good news is that the film improves somewhere after the outset, although it still feels disjointed and the plot doesn't make a great deal of sense. I appreciated the Russian villains, but the double-crossing plot is a bit lacklustre and Bond just seems to be in the right place at the right time all the while. I suppose you could say that believability is lacking. In the end, all the things that were wrong with Hollywood in the 1990s – lame humour, an emphasis on computer effects and spectacle over intricacy and tension, bloated running times and seen-it-all-before fatigue – are present here.

Still, there are a few halfway decent action sequences to enjoy along the way. The big tank chase that occurs halfway through is the film's highlight, a masterpiece of technical skill, even if the tone varies wildly with unwelcome comedy popping up all the while. The movie also boasts a great villain in Sean Bean, sadly beginning his typecasting as a Hollywood bad guy that continues to this day. He's certainly better than the smarmy Brosnan, whose Bond is and will always be my least favourite of the various actors who've played the iconic spy over the years.

I didn't really like Famke Janssen's wildly over-the-top femme fatale here. She's featured in an explicit sex scene that has no place in a Bond film and her mannerisms are completely over the top, cartoonish even. Still, there are some welcome faces in minor roles here, from larger-than-life Robbie Coltrane as a sinister contact and Tceky Karyo as a politician to Michael Kitchen as a nervous spy chief and Joe Don Baker as an ally. Desmond Llewelyn gets some genuine laughs in his appearance as Q and Judi Dench is excellent here as the ball-busting M. The less said about Alan Cumming, embarrassingly bad in one of those geeky hacker type roles, the better.

Best of the Bonds

Author: Virginia_Farmboy from USA
31 January 2007

Whenever I tell people that my favorite Bond film is Goldeneye, I'm usually told it's because of the video game. That may be part of it, but I'm sure without the game, I would still consider it one of the best. Not only does it have a multitude of great action sequences and set pieces, but it also delivers some humanity into the Bond films. The true nature of 007 is revealed with lines like Natalya's "How can you be so cold?" ("It's what keeps me alive."), M's "sexist, misogynist dinosaur," and Alec's "I might as well ask if all those vodka martinis silence the screams of all the men you've killed." Goldeneye is not as explosive as the other three Bond films, perhaps because it was released in an era less populated with such films. This helps the movie. It is not as slow as Dr. No, but less overblown than Die Another Day. Complaints that it uses the Bond theme sparingly are unfounded, because I believe the soundtrack is just fine and when the Bond theme is used, it is used well (the tank chase). It all makes an excellent film. So see Casino Royale, see Goldfinger, but after those, see Goldeneye.

Not just Brosnan's best, Bond's best.

Author: smews1 from Australia
27 December 2006

Put simply, this is the best Bond film ever.

Both Bond girls are incredibly hot, in particular Famke Janssen's Xenia Onatopp. Seriously, if I had to choose a way to die, I'd choose the way she kills people. In case you haven't seen the movie, I won't elaborate, just watch it, you'll know what I mean.

The story was amazing, and this was much more realistic than some Bond films to follow (Renard in The World Is Not Enough was a good villain, but the bullet in the brain thing was just a bit off-putting. Same goes for Gustav Graves in Die Another Day, with the gene therapy). Brosnan was great as the suave, sophisticated secret agent.

Of course, I can't finish this review without mentioning the incredible performance of Sean Bean. Alec Trevelyan was the best villain in all the Bond films, and I'm not sure I'll ever see the day when someone surpasses him.

Not to worry...Bond is back with a vengeance!!

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
8 May 2001

Just when we thought that the James Bond films were passe, along comes Pierce Brosnan to put his own distinct brand of charm, humor and action hero movements on the legendary "licensed to kill" agent 007. He fills the role and then some--handsome, debonair and cool--real cool.

This time he is up against an enemy (Alex Trevelyan) who used to be a former agent and there's a convoluted plot about Russian espionage--but nothing really matters except that the stunts are jaw-droppingly good, the action is non-stop, the sexual titillation is there and the James Bond theme is back with pulse-pounding volume.

Enjoyable yarn, one of the better James Bond films. He was supposed to be Bond years ago but did "Remington Steele" for TV instead. The role fits him like a glove. Pierce Brosnan makes an ingratiating action hero for the '90s and beyond.

The best plot, the best characters, the best BOND!

Author: GoldeneyeQuinn from United States
24 July 2006

I remember when I first saw Goldeneye when I was just five years old or so. I remember loving it even though I didn't really understand it at all. Now I'm almost sixteen years old and I'm a hardcore James Bond fan. I've seen all the James Bond movies, and also own them all. Goldeneye to me is something special, it is the most complete James Bond movie. Even though it is Pierce Brosnan's first outing as Bond to me it is his best. The villains are all very cool, and stand out among other ones of the series. Alec is my favorite Bond villain, because he has the most depth as a person, he is so similar to Bond, and yet completely the opposite. His parents died just like Bond's, and he is a 00-agent in the beginning of the film just like Bond. The other villains are good too. Onatopp is a great female villain with a strange method of assassination "unsafe sex." The action in the movie is well done, and brings back memories of the past old-school style of the Bond films. There is a perfect amount of action in Goldeneye, and it does not start till the middle, like the old films. One of my favorite, and possibly the most memorable things about Goldeneye is the musical score. It is by far the most unique in the series, and has a really dark kind of mood, which fits the movie very well. The Bond girl in the film is not the best in the series, but does not do anything bad spoil the movie. She is still hot, and a good actress though. Overall I give it ten out of ten. Goldeneye is the last film to capture the old style of James Bond, that we Bond fans love to watch, and that movie makers have stopped doing. This is the kind of Bond I want Casino Royale to be.

The best Bond debut since Connery.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
11 March 2007

It had been more than ten years since we had seen an entry in this beloved series that we could call,well,good,and we knew what an excellent James Bond that Pierce Brosnan would make.We needed a good Bond film after several dry years and with Brosnan,our hopes were high.He didn't disappoint us.GoldenEye is thoroughly entertaining and is second only to Goldfinger as the best in the series,in my opinion.The action is much more raw than it has been in the past,but the good versus evil elements that made it a successful series to begin with are still very evident.Brosnan was nothing short of excellent here,as we knew he would be,and Sean Bean is terrific as a former close friend of Bond's gone bad.Also worthy of note is the addition of Judi Dench taking on the role of M with raw effectiveness.This is definitely a worthy watch!

just horrible

Author: Brad J Napientek from California
1 September 1998

GoldenEye is by far the worst Bond movie ever. The villain is weak, his henchmen are silly, and the supporting characters are irritating or ridiculous. The plot is basically a poorly written cross between A View to a Kill and Diamonds are Forever. Both of those were good, but put their plots together in the same movie and you don't have much. Don't waste your time with this one.

Best Bond in years!

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
17 July 2002

Not since Sean Connery has there been a James Bond as good as Pierce Brosnan. As with Sean Connery, he almost seems fit just right for the Bond pictures. I haven't seen a Bond film this good since Goldfinger, and I hope Die Another Day continues this great legacy(much to my dissapointment of TWINE and TND with Pierce Brosnan playing Bond. Brosnan just snaps right into the role, bearing all the classic action, adventure, humor, and the infamous Bond Girls associated with Bond, James Bond----MovieCritic2003