IMDb > GoldenEye (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
GoldenEye

GoldenEye More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 40: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

The Best of the Bonds

Author: pickles4uk from United Kingdom
6 September 2006

After the shameful film license to kill six years later we are given this true masterpiece. Back to the original quality Bond had in the 60's but with the updated backdrop of the 90's. Pierce Brosnan excels and makes the role his own bringing comedy, drama and action at all the right balances. Unfortunately there is a lack of gadgets within the car and the car is rarely seen, but this is made up by incorporating the classic Aston Martin DB5 at the beginning. The villains added with a foreign cast clearly help add more points to the final score. Tina Turner might as well have sung her song 'simply the best' for the main theme because that would describe this film perfectly. Goldeneye= Simply the Best.

by far the best Bond film since the 60s

Author: nbarlow from United States
19 March 2005

From the fantastic bungee jump in the opening sequence, to Robbie Coltrane trying not to smirk as he identifies the sound of the "Walther P.P.K.", it's obvious that everyone involved in this is having a great time. And that includes the audience.

Brosnan brings the suaveness and wit that was lacking from Timothy Dalton's over-serious approach, and a believability that was even more lacking from the campy Roger Moore efforts. The action sequences (particularly the aforementioned opening sequence, the chase in the middle, and the fight at the end) bring the franchise up to the state of the art, the villain is Bond's equal, and both the girls are as hot as hell.

It's just a shame that they couldn't keep up the momentum in the rest of the Brosnan films, in particular the invisible-car travesty of Die Another Day.

A very good movie and a great game

Author: perfectbond
17 November 2003

First I just want to say that the Nintendo 64 game based on this movie is one of the very best video games ever produced. The movie is also excellent. Although Brosnan looks somewhat slight (he bulked up for his later outings), he nevertheless made a convincing Bond amalgamating much of what his predecessors have done with the role. His nemesis, 006 played by Sean Bean was a very interesting villain (the concept of a fellow agent gone bad was borrowed by Woo and Cruise for MI:2) and their familiarity made their eventual confrontations all the more intriguing. Boris as the nerdy computer hacker henchman was a welcome departure from the brawny baddies of Bonds past. Gottfried John as Orumov was very good as well, his main job being to nail that Russian accent. As for the Bond girls Natalya had a nice girl next door look and Xenia, almost played over the top by Jansen certainly got viewers' attentions. The stunts (especially the bungee jump off the dam and the tank chase) and set pieces (notably the antenna cradle and base) also added to the splendor of the picture. All in all a very good Bond movie and an excellent debut for Brosnan. 8/10.

James Bond is back in a new world, and boy is it a wild ride!

Author: James Bond (jbltk@los-angeles.crosswinds.net) from Earth
28 September 1998

People may say this film does not seem like a James Bond movie or that the plot is weak, but the truth is, this plot is absolutely terrific. Having Bond face his near equal is a terrific plot, and I thoroughly enjoy it every time I watch it. Many people say that this was a disappointing movie, and the only disappointing aspect I find is the score by Eric Serra. He massacred the sanctity of our beloved Bond Theme. I prefer David Arnold's score from Tomorrow Never Dies 10 times more than Goldeneye. I think that is the only major flaw in Goldeneye. The stunts are terrifically thought out and performed, though many call the plane stunt in the pre-credits sequence unreal or impossible, yet they forget this is James Bond. James Bond is a fantasy, and not all of the things are real. James Bond movies take the world we live in and twist it a bit to make a great movie. Take for instance Moonraker. In Moonraker, they take advantage of the new space shuttles in the movie. There are factual inconsistencies such as the fact that NASA could not launch a space shuttle just like that. It takes major preparation to launch just one space shuttle, which includes combing the road where the space shuttle is taken down to the launching pad, test firings and numerous hours of training. Even with this, they require a launch window, which I doubt would just happen to be there. My point is, many things in Bond flicks are not total reality, but based on it, and that is why we love the films. I give this movie a 10.

Far-fetched James Bond

Author: filmnoir-2
25 September 1998

Another Bond film about a Soviet electromagnetic weapon this is very far-fetched (particularly with the orgasmic villainess) as usual and better digested more than once (with time elapsed between viewings).

a ho-hum Bond movie

Author: Sean Kaye from Canada
15 July 2012

I'm not a big Brosnan fan. Watching him is like watching a runway model try to act. His acting seems 'flat'. He's sort of like David Bowie or Sting in that he seems overly nervous of letting down his pretentious front in fear that he will be left vulnerable. It's either that with these kinds of people or they are just plain shallow and do not have anymore depth than that, who knows, surely we never will. Anyhow, I think he's definitely the wrong person to be playing Bond.

Famke Janssen was nice eye candy and a pretty good depiction of a bond woman -- obviously hot, intelligent, classy but also sensuous -- she was well cast and played her part well.

The old James Bond films were the best. Not because they were old, just because they were better.

I doubt producers read these IMDb comments (they should if they don't), but these modern Bond movies could really use some surf guitar for the incidental music. The reason I think surf guitar works is probably for a few reasons -- it's cool yet cheesy and gives a sense of comedic release without having something overtly comedic happening visually. Sound and music is very important yet is too often overlooked. The best modern soundtrack I have heard was for Get Smart (2008 release). That movie btw totally blew most of these 'thriller' type bond movies out of the water -- all that and it was actually a comedy -- go figure.

Overrated

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
27 February 2011

I remember that a big fuss was made about this film when it first came out in 1995. It was supposed to usher in a whole new era of Bond adventures and Pierce Brosnan was much lauded as the best Bond of all time. But the years have not been kind to this film. After the admittedly impressive stunt-scene opening on the gigantic dam, it lapses into crudity and chaos, with an embarrassingly bad car chase thrown in for no reason, a cringeworthy script and a distinct lack of scene-setting for both our hero and his motivations. I admit it, I've been spoiled by Daniel Craig's outing CASINO ROYALE, which is at least three times as good as this effort.

The good news is that the film improves somewhere after the outset, although it still feels disjointed and the plot doesn't make a great deal of sense. I appreciated the Russian villains, but the double-crossing plot is a bit lacklustre and Bond just seems to be in the right place at the right time all the while. I suppose you could say that believability is lacking. In the end, all the things that were wrong with Hollywood in the 1990s – lame humour, an emphasis on computer effects and spectacle over intricacy and tension, bloated running times and seen-it-all-before fatigue – are present here.

Still, there are a few halfway decent action sequences to enjoy along the way. The big tank chase that occurs halfway through is the film's highlight, a masterpiece of technical skill, even if the tone varies wildly with unwelcome comedy popping up all the while. The movie also boasts a great villain in Sean Bean, sadly beginning his typecasting as a Hollywood bad guy that continues to this day. He's certainly better than the smarmy Brosnan, whose Bond is and will always be my least favourite of the various actors who've played the iconic spy over the years.

I didn't really like Famke Janssen's wildly over-the-top femme fatale here. She's featured in an explicit sex scene that has no place in a Bond film and her mannerisms are completely over the top, cartoonish even. Still, there are some welcome faces in minor roles here, from larger-than-life Robbie Coltrane as a sinister contact and Tceky Karyo as a politician to Michael Kitchen as a nervous spy chief and Joe Don Baker as an ally. Desmond Llewelyn gets some genuine laughs in his appearance as Q and Judi Dench is excellent here as the ball-busting M. The less said about Alan Cumming, embarrassingly bad in one of those geeky hacker type roles, the better.

Best of the Bonds

Author: Virginia_Farmboy from USA
31 January 2007

Whenever I tell people that my favorite Bond film is Goldeneye, I'm usually told it's because of the video game. That may be part of it, but I'm sure without the game, I would still consider it one of the best. Not only does it have a multitude of great action sequences and set pieces, but it also delivers some humanity into the Bond films. The true nature of 007 is revealed with lines like Natalya's "How can you be so cold?" ("It's what keeps me alive."), M's "sexist, misogynist dinosaur," and Alec's "I might as well ask if all those vodka martinis silence the screams of all the men you've killed." Goldeneye is not as explosive as the other three Bond films, perhaps because it was released in an era less populated with such films. This helps the movie. It is not as slow as Dr. No, but less overblown than Die Another Day. Complaints that it uses the Bond theme sparingly are unfounded, because I believe the soundtrack is just fine and when the Bond theme is used, it is used well (the tank chase). It all makes an excellent film. So see Casino Royale, see Goldfinger, but after those, see Goldeneye.

Not just Brosnan's best, Bond's best.

Author: smews1 from Australia
27 December 2006

Put simply, this is the best Bond film ever.

Both Bond girls are incredibly hot, in particular Famke Janssen's Xenia Onatopp. Seriously, if I had to choose a way to die, I'd choose the way she kills people. In case you haven't seen the movie, I won't elaborate, just watch it, you'll know what I mean.

The story was amazing, and this was much more realistic than some Bond films to follow (Renard in The World Is Not Enough was a good villain, but the bullet in the brain thing was just a bit off-putting. Same goes for Gustav Graves in Die Another Day, with the gene therapy). Brosnan was great as the suave, sophisticated secret agent.

Of course, I can't finish this review without mentioning the incredible performance of Sean Bean. Alec Trevelyan was the best villain in all the Bond films, and I'm not sure I'll ever see the day when someone surpasses him.

Not to worry...Bond is back with a vengeance!!

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
8 May 2001

Just when we thought that the James Bond films were passe, along comes Pierce Brosnan to put his own distinct brand of charm, humor and action hero movements on the legendary "licensed to kill" agent 007. He fills the role and then some--handsome, debonair and cool--real cool.

This time he is up against an enemy (Alex Trevelyan) who used to be a former agent and there's a convoluted plot about Russian espionage--but nothing really matters except that the stunts are jaw-droppingly good, the action is non-stop, the sexual titillation is there and the James Bond theme is back with pulse-pounding volume.

Enjoyable yarn, one of the better James Bond films. He was supposed to be Bond years ago but did "Remington Steele" for TV instead. The role fits him like a glove. Pierce Brosnan makes an ingratiating action hero for the '90s and beyond.