IMDb > GoldenEye (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
GoldenEye

GoldenEye More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 43: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

We meet again Mr. Bond....

Author: au_law2001 from Philippines
28 December 2004

This movie without a doubt brought the James Bond franchise into the '90s and did a good job at it. I'm very happy for that. Pierce Brosnan was perfect for it, and an excellent story, and the villains were okay. I like that Boris guy a lot, especially his famous line "I'm invincible!" I'll never forget that! This movie is everything you would expect in a Bond movie, the gadgets that are hi-tech and kept discreetly, the prologue with Bond shooting, a smooth soundtrack, fast cars, a lot of guns, and the women who are all over Bond. And Bond is as shrewed and suave, Pierce did a very good job! This proves that a very old franchise and series can live on and catch up to today, and attract a whole new audience. I recommend this to all fans of James Bond, and I recommend you play the N64 game, it's unforgettable as well. Bond will return.

The best of new Bond movies times 20

Author: Anthony Fenicchia (Fenicchia879@aol.com) from Rochester New York
7 November 2004

By far the best of the new James bond movies. It has one of the best villains in bond history. Even the Video Game is great. The Video game may be the reason i like the movie so much but forget about that. The action was great. There are many henchman that are very awesome. In my opinion its not only one of the best of the new bond movies but one of the best bond movies. It was Peirce Brosnan at his best. I didn't much care for the bond girl and i never like the bond songs accept for live and let die. I wish they would make another good movie unlike Tomorrow never dies. I wish they had a two disc DVD and not just one but hey its such a good movie i don't need that.

Brosnan gets off to a great start

Author: Orpington from England
2 October 2003

It seemed for a long while in the early 1990s that we would never see a James Bond film again, as the franchise became enmeshed in endless legal wrangles and a disillusioned Timothy Dalton decided to quit as OO7. However EON productions were eventually able to begin work on the 17th official Bond film, and GoldenEye exploded onto the big screen in 1995, six years after the release of Licence to Kill. Happily the wait was worth it, because GoldenEye is one of the best Bond films, featuring a satisfying mix of great action and memorable characters. It was a huge hit, reinventing Bond for the 90s and helping to ensure that the franchise would continue into the 21st Century.

The film succeeds in part because it feels a bit like a Bond "greatest hits," with such OO7 trademarks as the Aston Martin, beautiful women and big action set-pieces all playing a prominent role. Martin Campbell proves himself to be a worthy Bond director, orchestrating the impressive action scenes with great flair, particularly a memorable tank chase through St Petersburg. However, GoldenEye (named after Ian Fleming's home in the Caribbean) also acknowledges the fact that times had changed since OO7's Cold War heyday. Bond finds himself travelling to a newly capitalist Russia, and he also has to deal for the first time with a female M, played wonderfully by Judi Dench, who makes no bones about calling OO7 a "sexist, misogynous dinosaur, a relic of the Cold War," although underneath she already has a sneaking affection for him. There is also a feisty new Miss Moneypenny for Bond to contend with, Samantha Bond replacing Caroline Bliss in the role and making it quite plain that her Moneypenny will be no pushover for OO7. Q, however, is still played by the ageing but sprightly Desmond Llewelyn, and although he is only in one short scene it is a good one, providing another link to Bond's past.

Unlike many Bond films, GoldenEye has quite a good plot. It certainly helps that the chief villain is a fellow OO agent, who was once a close friend of Bond's. This set-up adds real spice to the scenes between Bond and Trevelyan, for in OO7's eyes Trevelyan has committed the ultimate sin of betraying both his country and his friend, giving the film a serious edge. Indeed, one of the most welcome features of the film is its lack of schoolboy humour, which the producers might have been tempted to include after the dark Licence to Kill's poor Box Office showing; thankfully they resisted the temptation, and GoldenEye is much the stronger for it. Another plus is the strength of many of the principle characters. Izabella Scorupco is one of the very best Bond girls, proving herself to be a good actress as well as a beautiful one, and her character fits in well with the serious, modern tone of the film by being both quite a realistic character and a skilled computer programmer. Sean Bean is good as Trevelyan, even if his rather forced upper-class accent prevents him from being one of the great villains. Still, he is menacing and his final showdown with Bond is gripping and effective. Stealing the show is Famke Janssen, who is gloriously OTT as the sex-mad henchwoman Xenia Onatopp. Onatopp kills men by crushing them with her legs, and she makes for a classic Bond femme fatale.

Then of course there is Pierce Brosnan, who makes a strong debut as OO7. Brosnan was of course invited to become Bond a decade earlier, before his commitments to Remington Steele prevented him from taking the part. Now the Walther PPK was finally his, and he makes the most of it with a performance that nicely blends toughness with humour, and also traces of humanity. In certain scenes Brosnan does a very nice job of portraying the essential loneliness of OO7, and also his fierce loyalty to his country. In doing so he maintains the welcome seriousness that Dalton brought to the role, but he also comes across as more relaxed and humorous than Dalton, making his Bond a more rounded character in the style of Sean Connery. Arguably, it is the most impressive debut performance of any Bond actor.

Naturally, GoldenEye is not perfect. It is a bit too long, and I found Alan Cumming's Boris a rather irritating character, although his eventual comeuppance was very satisfying. Robbie Coltrane's entertaining cameo as a former KGB agent could also have been longer, and I am not a fan of Tina Turner's dreary theme song. These, however, are minor quibbles. GoldenEye is a very entertaining and action-packed film, which captures the essence of Bond and has some real substance too in its plot and characterisation. I would rank it with From Russia with Love, For Your Eyes Only and Licence to Kill as one of the top Bond films, and subsequent Brosnan outings have not yet bettered it.

Pierce Brosnan and Sean Bean.... WOW!!!! ***May contain spoilers***

Author: Nadia from Sydney, Australia.
24 April 2003

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!

Ok, here we have one of the best Bond movies I've ever seen. It's just spectacular! Pierce Brosnan has definitely kept the Bond torch burning.

This movie is thoroughly engaging and totally captivating, right from the very first scene. Sean Bean's (006/Alec) first scene definitely hightened the interest level for me too. The classic characters are back... M and Q, also with the addition of three more very likeable characters (Natalya, Xenia and Boris), although two of them are baddies, but what the heck.

Pierce Brosnan is just perfect as James Bond, he's pulled the role off quite remarkably. Did I mention he's extremely handsome?

Speaking of handsome, Sean Bean was just magnificent. The best Bond villain ever, according to me. His intensity and charisma just made Alec all the more interesting to watch. It's no surprise that he was the next likely candidate to play 007, if Brosnan didn't take the role. Besides, he looked extraordinarily cool in black. (all through the movie)

Alan Cumming, Famke Janssen, Izabella Scorupco, Robbie Coltrane and Judie Dench were all great as well. Excellent, excellent film. *****/*****.

EXPLOSIVE

Author: Luigi Di Pilla from Riehen, Switzerland
8 March 2003

As every James Bond movie this one is another example of a masterpiece of action, suspense and thrills. Congratulations to director Martin Campbell and of course to all the actors and stuff. I liked very much the performance of the bad girl, bad boy Sean Bean and Pierce Brosnan as the agent 007. Very nice pictures and once more MGM created a top action thriller. If you liked this don´t miss the other James Bond in TOMORROW NEVER DIES or THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. I highly recommend also VERTICAL LIMIT from the same director. 8/10.

"No - No - No more foreplay!" - James Bond **spoilers**

Author: Hancock_the_Superb from United States
9 January 2003

This is the best of all of Pierce Brosnan's Bond installments, hands down - I know elsewhere I said "Tomorrow Never Dies", but after thinking it over I realized that this one had the edge in everything - plot, acting, believable characters, casting, and definitely humor - this is the only of Brosnan's films so far that's made me laugh out loud - and it did that many times.

The plot? A mysterious explosion wipes out a supposedly shutdown Russian computer base in the middle of Siberia. 007 (Brosnan) is sent to investigate, and finds out that a cabal of ex-Soviet soldiers/agents, led by his old colleague 006 Alec Trevalyan (Sean Bean) (who Bond had left for dead in a mission nine years earlier), are planning to use a satellite-based weapon called GoldenEye to nuke London and numerous other major cities. It's up to Bond and the lone survivor of the missile-base, a second-level programmer named Natalya Simonova (Izabella Scorupco) to defeat Trevalyan and his minions.

The casting and acting is arguably the greatest in any of Brosnan's Bond films, just edging out "The World Is Not Enough". Brosnan, of course, is great. Sean Bean, as the villain, was very good, and his portrayal of a betrayed man (and the secert from his childhood - but see the film) is superb. Pollack-Swede Scorupco is very good - she is not the most beautiful Bond girl ever (IMO), but she is still a relative rarity - she isn't a kickass sidekick a la Wai Lin or Jinx Johnson, but she's not a helpless bimbo either. Her Natalya is surprisingly realistic, and she gives a good portrayal. Famke Janssen, as Xenia Onatopp, one of Trevalyan's henchmen, is great - though I personally prefer Sophie Merceau's more layered performance in TWINE, the very sexy Janssen handles her role quite well. German character actor Gottfried John is another henchman of Trevalyan (and also a former nemesis of Bond), General Orumoff. John's performance is superb and subtly humorous (I like how, during the tank chase, he kept taking shots of whiskey while watching Bond's pursuit).

The other actors are just as good. Robbie Coltraine as ex-KGB Agent and victim of Bond Valentin Zukovsky - save perhaps Rowan Atkinson, Coltraine is my favorite actor, and though he has only a bit role, he is still much funnier than in his extended role in TWINE. Alan Cumming, as yet another Trevalyan henchman, Natalya's friend Boris Grishenko, is hilarious ("I AM INVINCIBLE!") and goes out in an indescribably funny way. Joe Don Baker, as CIA Agent Jack Wade, proves he can be a good actor when he wants to be - though he has only a comic bit part as well. The regular MI6 staff (including Judi Dench as the new M) appears, and Desmond Llewelyn (sp.?) has his only really funny scene in a Brosnan film ("Don't touch that - that's my lunch!"). Turkish actor Tchéky Karyo ("1492", "The Patriot", "Wing Commander") is good in a cameo as the Russian defense minister.

The action scenes are all well put together (though the St. Petersburg tank chase wasn't my favorite scene). For once, the humor is funny, though most of it goes to the supporting players (esp. Boris, Zukovski, and Wade). Special effects are very good, and the action scenes don't go too over-the-top.

Eight stars for "GoldenEye".

Remarkable Debut

Author: firstdoubleshot from England
18 October 2002

After years without a Bond, Brosnan makes a remarkable debut and immediately IS James Bond 007, child of the late and the great Mr. Ian Fleming.

From the opening scene, a bungee jump off a dam that has no right to be that height, Bond is back with a vengeance.

Long may he live, may he live forever!

Great film...but so many mistakes

Author: Alison Sainty (alison_sainty@hotmail.com) from England
2 August 2002

Before I start, I'd just like to point out that I absolutely love this film to bits - I once was so obsesses with it that I watched it several times a day. Thankfully, I now don't do this, bit it still remains my favourite film.

Has anyone noticed the following mistakes though:

(a) When Bond is being briefed on the situation in Severnaya, the satellite is knocked out and all the computer screens aren't getting a signal. During this time Natalya is climbing up the dish to get out of the building. The satellite only comes back when Natalya is running across the snow, but when Bond and Natalya are about to be interogated by Defence Minister Mishkin he says to her 'And I'm willing to bet that you're the one that climbed up the dish to get out'. How did he know that? And how would Bond have been able to point to a person on a computer screen and assume she would know who the insider was? And the conversation in the briefing room with Michael Kitchen and Judy Dench really doesn't flow like a natural conversation - it sounds like it's being read from a script and it's far too predictable.

(b) When Bond and Natalya are about to be questioned she also tells Bond 'I've never been to severnaya' but he holds up her arm and says 'Your watch has - frozen by the Goldeneye blast'. How would he have known she was wearing a watch? How would he have known it was her from the satellite when he only met her when they were captured by Mishkin's men and didn't have a chance to talk.

(c) In the scene where Bond goes to the boat and opens the wardrobe door only to get the dead admiral (killed by Xenia) falling out in front of him, the film doesn't really explain who stole his ID card from his jacket the night before when he was getting a good squeeze from her. Then, at the same time Bond discovers the body Xenia and some bloke posing as the admiral are being welcomed on board the other boat displaying the Tiger helicopter. This bloke looks very much like the admiral, but who is it? Ourumov? If it isn't him in disguise then where does he come from later on to be able to steal the helicopter with Xenia?

Well, that's all I can think of for now. In the scene where Natalya gets reunited with Boris at Janus Headquarters in Cuba and she attacks him, two guards pull her off him. Has anyone noticed how red one of those guard's faces gets? Maybe I'm just sad for noticing? There are also differences between the widescreen and full screen versions.

By the way, the soundtrack is great. And anyone who loves the song at the end performed by Eric Serra (the man!) himself will be interested to know that in the film Leon: The Professional at one point in the film (as he does the music to that too) is an instrumental bit of that song!

Pay Attention, 007

Author: pmov from London, UK
2 June 2002

Whilst Sean Connery's interpretation is rightly regarded as the definitive James Bond, GOLDENEYE is worthy of recognition as the movie that dragged what was a tired, bedraggled franchise kicking and screaming into the '90s and it's one of my favourites of the series. Pierce Brosnan gets the chance to show us all why he was producer Cubby Broccolli's preferred choice to replace Roger Moore (Brosnan had to back out in 1986 due to contractual obligations for the TV show Remington Steele) and we finally get a Bond that has the dangerous glint in his eye that so endeared us to Connery in the first place. Brosnan looks good, he moves well and he can deliver those zingers. Sean Connery may not be gone completely from our minds but it's easy to forget him for a couple of hours with Brosnan on-screen.

Director Martin Campbell knows exactly where to point the camera for maximum effect and the fast-moving fluidity of the editing gives the whole thing a marvelously kinetic shot in the arm. The action sequences fairly crack along and there's barely time to drawn breath. The late Maurice Binder would probably weep in sorrow if he could see how perfectly Daniel Kleinsman has produced typically Bondian lush visuals to back Tina Turner's terrific rendition of the title song (written by Bono).

The story (by Michael France) has a little more depth than usual and the supporting characters are not just stock-in-trade caricatures (Robbie Coltrane's Valentin Zucovsky and Gottfried John's General Ourumov being just two examples). Famke Janssen is delicious and steals every scene she's in as sexually voracious hit-woman, Xenia Onatopp. And whoever thought of casting Judi Dench as M is definitely on to something - she's only in one scene but it's a cracker. My only slight concern is with Sean Bean as the main villain who is outshone by his hench-woman and just isn't in the same league as Blofeld or Goldfinger.

It is a sad fact that, during Brosnan's tenure, many of the Bond stalwarts both behind and in front of the camera are now deceased (Cubby Broccolli, Vic Armstrong, Desmond Lewellyn, Maurice Binder to name a few). I guess this is understandable when you consider just how long these films have been going now. CASINO ROYALE (2006), directed again by Campbell and starring Daniel Craig as Bond is the 21st Bond film in a production cycle has been continuing for over 40 years.

Let's hope they keep making them as good as this.

THE GREATEST BOND FILM EVER!!!!

Author: Nick Nack from London England
28 May 2002

With Goldeneye bond is back to the style and appearance that as not

been seen since the days of Sean Connery. Everything is perfect, there

is not one flaw in this whole movie. If you only see one bond movie in your entire life see this!!! Brosnan is Bond and the cast follow him to awsome performance. The pre - creditis secquence is the best. With the

Bond series on the line, the prodouceres wanted to make a solid Bond film, happily they created something more!