Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain

good movie

Author: Ashley (ShortCuteBlonde) from Washington usa
29 August 2002

Being a teenager this was a very good movie, and christina ricci is one of my absolute favorite actresses so it was a great movie for me and my friends to watch on a saturday night with a bowl of popcorn and a few sodas, go see it!!

An Excellent Movie!

Author: Panthor
16 June 2000

If I could just say a few words about this movie they would be, "A Must Buy!". In fact, I don't know why I let this movie go for so long before getting it myself and watching it because it is very good -- a fantastic adventure and enough suspense to keep you watching it all the way through (at least the 1st time).

When this movie aired on the Wonderful World of Disney this past Sunday night (June 11, 2000) I watched it for the first time to preview it. I was also trying to do something else at the time, but it was so good that I could only continue what I was doing during commercial breaks.

The next day, I just had to go out and find it on video to add it to my own video library and then I watched it again later that night and one more time the next night. This is real good movie to watch over and over again, though, seeing it the 1st time is the best.

To sum all this up in a few words, this movie has surely become one of my favorites and will most probably be a heavily played video, too! An excellent movie! 10 Stars!!

I have seen this movie 20 times at least ,probably more.

Author: bandgeek19902008 from US
18 September 2004

I absolutely love this movie it made me cry the first 5 times I watched it. I think this movie should get 20 stars out of 10, I have seen this movie so many times I have every single word of it memorized, this movie deals with so many issues we face today, and even though it was make in 1995 doesn't mean it's an old fogie movie that doesn't deserve the time of day, just trust me I have seen it enough times to know! lol. I think that if you are looking for a movie to sit down and watch and not want it to be over then you have found the right movie Gold Diggers can make you laugh, cry, and wonder what's going to happen next all at the same time! So if you have yet to see this wonderful movie don't pass it up, go see it now!

PS, See this movie, you have to!

Praise for Gold Diggers

Author: Kelsey-3 (juliet@earthling.net) from Adelaide, Australia
19 January 2000

I have seen this movie many times, watched it over and over and I never get sick of it. This is a wonderful story about friendship that has touched my heart. A brilliant family movie that children will especially love for the adventure, fun, and triumph that it presents.

Glowworms...you turned them into damn glowworms!

Author: Rainbow2003 from Montgomery, Alabama
9 November 2002

Christina Ricci is great as Elizabeth in this intelligent adventure flick. The supporting cast is brilliant. The costumes are simple. One of the good farces in the genre, Gold Diggers: Secret Of Bear Mountain will sparkle golden bears in the viewer's eye. 10 out of 10.

MINI INDIANA

Author: wolf-96
18 November 1999

I loved this movie but then I guess I love anything Christina Ricci is in. But this is great for family time it is the mini- Indiana Jones and it was set in the pacific norhtwest that in itself gives it high marks.

teases great adventure

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 August 2016

It's 1980. Recent widower Kate Easton (Polly Draper) moves her daughter Beth (Christina Ricci) from L.A. to Wheaton, Washington into the farm inherited from her aunt. Beth struggles with small town life and befriends tomboy black sheep Jody Salerno (Anna Chlumsky). They don't get along at first but they bond over Winnie the Pooh and their dead fathers. Jody has a troubled home life with mother Lynette (Diana Scarwid) and her boyfriend Ray Karnisak (David Keith). Jody tells Beth about Bear Mountain and the legend of gold miner Molly Morgan.

This starts great with two charismatic child actresses in an outdoors adventure that is often left for the boys. Their relationship is interesting. They even get on a boat like all great adventures. The caves are the first signs of trouble. They are grim, artificial, and not magical. What starts as a great adventure turns into a melodrama. The adults are all dumber than the kids. I want this to be Goonies or even Stand by Me. Instead, it teases that but gives something less. In the end, there is still the compelling friendship.

A Wonderful Family Movie

Author: livingdeadgirl_13 from vancouver
4 January 2003

Beth( Christina Ricci) and her mother Kate( Polly Draper) have just moved from L.A, to a small town where Kate's aunt used to live. Beth becomes friends with this girl Jody( Anna Chlumsky). Jody is wild, adventerous and the total opposite of Beth. But a lot of people are saying that Jody is a really bad influence and that she steals and that she has a lot of problems. Beth doesn't listen to those story's, she likes Jody no matter what people tell her. One day, the two of them head out to this Bear Mountain that supposedly still carries gold. But a accident happens to Beth and it is up to Jody to save her life. This is a wonderful movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Christina Ricci and Anna Chlumsky were great. I would give Gold Diggers:The Secret Of Bear Mountain 8.5/10

Personally, I thought this movie was great.

Author: Paige Brandis (mrlands) from California
3 September 2001

In my perspective, I thought this movie was a great family movie that talks about true friends and what they go through. I think it will teach children to dream and also show them what a good friend really is. It has a great plotline and stars both Christina Ricci and Anna Chlumsky.

The 2 leads are great

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
28 February 2014

Okay I decided to sit down and watch this because I have seen both leading actresses in movies that have shown me they are pretty versatile actresses. So even without giving a damn about the plot I decided to sit down and watch it because I was convinced the actresses would carry it.

The plot is that a city girl named Beth (Christina Ricci) moves to a country town and her father is dead (If you've seen Casper, you'll find that a little surreal). She eventually meets a tomboy named Jody (Anna Chlumsky) who I think is meant to be a kleptomaniac. Over time they seem to develop a bond as friends and Jody tells Beth that she knows of a mountain that used to be mined that may still have gold in it and it all ties into a girl the same age as them living around that time called Molly Morgan.

Okay so this is pretty much the same family/adventure movie that you may have seen at least once before. What really ties this movie together though is the 2 leads. They do have believable chemistry as friends and that really is the focus of the film - it's the friendship.

With that said I just feel that this movie tries to fall into the climax that again, you would have bound to see in any movie at least once. I mean did this movie really need a climax? I don't even think it needed the whole "Gold at Bear Mountain" thing. Without it the movie could have been just as good as it was, if not even better.

So at it's root the real reason why anyone would want to see this movie is the 2 leads who do just as good of a job here as I've seen them do on other movies I've seen them in. If you haven't seen these 2 in other movies nor care for them as actors then this could carry a risk of you not liking this movie. So this movie is worth it, just for fans of Christina Ricci and Anna Chlumsky.