Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995) Poster

Requiem for a Heavyweight
barugon28 May 1999
When I first saw this movie, I hoped this would have more of a brooding, menacing feel to it than it did. I half expected them to return more to the tone of the 1954 GOJIRA, especially since they made so many other references to the original, like bringing back Momoko Kochi as Emiko.

Instead, G. vs. Desutoroia was shot in the usual nervous style of the Heisei series, which so irritated me at first that I found myself counting seconds, to see if ANY SHOT in the whole movie would make it to ten.

On repeated viewings, though, I felt the movie held together better than most of the others in the 'new' Godzilla series. As usual, the human characters seem simply to be along for the ride (the exception is G. vs. Mechagodzilla (II), where I found myself actually caring what went on between the humans). In this case, it's only natural that the Big G. takes center stage.

The final moments are absolutely amazing. Akira Ifukube's classic "the-army-mobilizes-against-Godzilla" theme is heard for probably the last time: not as the usual march, but in a slow choral arrangement that will tear the heart out of any Godzilla fan...

Godzilla may be back in the form of the new, improved Little Godzilla, but PLEASE someone reassure me that we've finally seen the last of that psychic Miki Saegusa. By the time the Heisei series was over, I knew more about Godzilla's inner life than I did about hers. IMHO the whole Psychic thing added nothing to the continuing story... give her a 900 number and an infomercial and keep her out of Godzilla Millennium!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The most moving and thrilling of all Godzilla films.
OllieSuave-0076 September 1999
The most moving and thrilling of all Godzilla films, with a solid plot, smooth acting, moving music and emotional drama. I enjoyed this movie; the final one in the Godzilla "Heisei" series, in which Godzilla's heart, basically like a nuclear reactor, is on a verge of a meltdown. This will result in the disintegration of the entire city. As a result, this movie is a thrilling race against time to stop Godzilla before he melts down.

This G-film's story is particularly captivating and unique, exciting from start to finish. The film also includes a combination of elements that is iconic to a Godzilla film: scientists, reporters, military, Tokyo, fleeing citizens, city destruction, monster battles and Akira Ifukube's brilliant music score. And, it includes a host of actors that appeared in past Godzilla films, most notably Momoko Kochi reprising her 1954 role as Emiko Yamane. All this is a great homage to have in the final Godzilla film of the Heisei series.

There is one thrilling scene in which I especially liked - the part when Yukari gets trapped in the police car with Destoroyah pursuing her. And, the part when Miki breaks down and cry when Godzilla Junior laid lifeless on the ground almost reduced me to tears - reminding you that this film is Godzilla's final bow. I really despise Destoroyah, after all the damaged he has done. Godzilla should have melted that ugly arachnid. And, I would have made the Ken and Meru characters a little less annoying.

But overall, a terrific, heart-pounding film to close out the second Godzilla series. A must see for all.

Grade A-
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I Was A Teenage Godzilla
evilskip18 December 1999
This movie is the "last" in the series of Godzilla movies that started with Godzilla 1985.This time around Godzilla has become a living nuclear reactor on the verge of exploding and taking the planet with him.

On the print I watched there were some allusions to an atomic explosion on the island where Godzilla & Little Godzilla hung out.(But it is only mentioned in passing.Was it excised from this print?). Little Godzilla evolved due to the explosion into a teenage Godzilla.The elder Godzilla turned into a nuclear nightmare.In the beginning he lays waste to Hong Kong.

In Tokyo the remnants of the Oxygen Destroyer used to kill the first Godzilla in 1956 takes a life of its own.The Destroyah takes shape in the form of a hundred or so scrabbling insects larger than a car.Naturally the Destroyah turns out to be more than the Police/Army can handle.It also turns into one of the biggest,ugliest monsters you'll ever see.

Needless to say there is a titanic battle between Little Godzilla,the elder dying Godzilla and Destroyah.Tokyo is turned into a nuclear decimated wasteland as Godzilla approaches total meltdown. This isn't your father's Godzilla.He isn't a hero and he sure isn't cute.To say he is an unstoppable force of nature is more than accurate.He's mean,pi$$ed and this series has him at the most vicious.

The 7 movies in this series actually had plots and some money tossed into the special effects.Sure the dubbing bites and we could do without the little psychic girl from G Force.

All in all a fitting "ending" to the series.Now all we have to do is wait for Godzilla 2000.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best '90s Godzilla movie
ebiros221 October 2005
I liked this movie because it had some connection with the original Godzilla movie of '54. I finally learned what happened to Shinkichi and Dr. Kyohei Yamane after the original Godzilla movie. Shinkichi got adopted by Dr. Yamane (!) What a great story line, and Shinkichi's son and daughter carries on the mantle of their father.

I've read some of the comments made by other Godzilla fans for this movie and their complaint is basically what I've been saying about these movies all the time - That Toho has very bad casting. I understand that it's cheaper for them to use their in house actors, but they probably have no aspirations to improve their acting or to be a good actor because they're on salary and don't have to worry about where their pay checks are coming from. More over, they might think that nail that sticks out gets hammered and tries not to stand out. Hence, the movies made have no central focus and plot meanders.

But out of all the '90s Godzilla movies, I thought this one did have better plots and better casting. Special effects was great with Godzilla appearing in places its never been seen like Hong Kong and its body spewing steam due to heat generated from within. It was also good to see Kochi Momoko reprise her role as Emiko Yamane in her last appearance before her demise in 1999 (Now if they had Akira Takarada's character in this movie too it would have been 100% better but...).
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The King of The Monsters faces his strongest and most terrifying enemy yet!
ugyenpeljor2 August 2013
The epic finale of the second Godzilla series concludes with Big G himself facing his toughest challenge yet! This is my personal favorite of the entire Godzilla series after the original 1954 film, and in many ways, this film does it's best to tie back to that film as much as possible, even explicitly tying the origins of Godzilla's new foe to the fate of the original King of the Monsters. Godzilla is at his largest, most powerful, and by far the most furious that he's ever been in the entire franchise, but he will be matched up against the nightmarish Destoroyah, one of the strongest and most terrifying monsters to ever appear in any film!

What follows is a fitting and powerful conclusion for the King Of The Monsters, the last dance so to speak. For Godzilla's days are numbered, as the same radioactive meltdown that is triggering his increased strength and fury is also draining him and will eventually kill him. With some of the best visual effects and creature designs of the entire franchise, and an appropriately epic score to match, G vs. D represents the best the series has to offer. If you must watch only one Godzilla movie, watch the original 1954 Japanese version. But if you watch two, then I urge you to consider Godzilla vs. Destoroyah with the original.

With this film, the Heisei series decisively came to an end, and Godzilla would enjoy a well earned and fitting retirement ... that is, until an American impostor pretending to be the original King Of The Monsters would rear its ugly head in a certain 1998 Columbia/Tristar film that shall remain nameless ...
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The death and respect of a king with fantastic efforts!
Gman288716 April 2002
**possible minor spoilers**

My favorite Godzilla film of them all remains the movie that gives the most respect, and awe inspiring power to the King of the Monsters. Godzilla is dieing of his own powers, his heart, a nuclear reactor, is going through a meltdown that will destroy the world. Meanwhile, scientists are producing a means for future food supply. Micro-oxygen creates supplies of food or animals much bigger than their normal size, however this can also be diverted to be used as a weapon. The micro-oxygen is a direct reference to the oxygen-destroyer used to kill the first Godzilla in 1954. Micro-oxygen gets exposed to the area where the oxygen-destroyer was deployed 40 years before hand. Dormant micro creatures are awakened by the micro-oxygen, that have for 40 years been growing rapidly and absorbing the energies from the oxygen destroyer. Godzilla Jr. then appears, and is found being followed by his father who is still dieing. Once the micro creatures become big enough, they stalk the city and then form into one giant monster. (basically the oxygen-destroyer in a monster form) Since the oxygen-destroyer was the only thing to defeat Godzilla so long ago, G-Force believes the new monster Destroyah can defeat him. They lure Godzilla in by diverting Godzilla Jr.'s direction. Godzilla gets to the scene just in time to see his son slaughtered. Overpowered with energy, but still dieing Godzilla fights Destroyah, with a changing strategy of G-Force and the world at stake! The movie really is breathtaking, if not executed perfectly. This is Director Takeo Okawara's finest direction, he actually, for once, brings out performances, giving us edge to your seat suspense and build up as well as characterizing the human characters and monsters evenly. Some don't develop, and some ideas in the film are put there simply to divert attention of the audience, but it still works. The effects are the third best of the Heisei series. The Godzilla suit is so majestic and awesome you want to see more and more of it on screen! The writing is pure genius, Omori was at his best right here! Indeed this is an important film, one that will be remembered as what was suppose to be Godzilla's death, but today it remains as the film that pays the most respect to Godzilla.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gojira VS Desutoroiâ (1995)
SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain13 December 2011
22nd installment and still kicking. This is the climax to the Heisei series. It's quite a beautiful climax, and rather poetic in its relation to the rest of the series. It's the first film with strong connections to the original. It brings back talk of the Oxygen Destroyah, which inadvertently created a new breed of monster. Meanwhile, Godzilla goes on a dramatic journey of character for such a big monster. First of all, he is getting close to meltdown, having absorbed too much nuclear radiation, he may be about to explode. This leaves him with a rather interesting glowing look, Also, he may be about to become a responsible father, as he tracks down his presumably dead son. Toho put a lot of faith into a big rubbery character, but he pulls it off. This is the most emotional since the original, and it still has time for awesome action sequences. Part of me wishes I had watched these years ago, as the city destruction scenes must have seemed even more impressive. Still, it's engaging stuff, and the perfect end to this series.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A piece of me died as well
drngor20 January 2001
When I first read about the existence of this film, I was horrified to learn that Godzilla died at the end. My first thoughts were, "how could Godzilla die at the hands of another monster." As I read more about it, I learned that that wasn't the case. However, that didn't change the fact that Godzilla passes in the next world at the end. As much as I knew about the ending, I still couldn't help but feel a part of me die also.

The movie takes the Heisei series full circle by connecting the origins of the monster Destroyer with Godzilla's original foe, the Oxygen Destroyer. Godzilla's offspring has grown from that rather-silly looking creature from Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla into a monster that looks like his father. Mix those elements with a Godzilla that is rapidly approaching the bring of self-nuclear destruction and you have this final blowout for the big "G".

This movie is quite entertaining. There are some good fighting moments and the finale is quite good. The battle between Godzilla Jr. and Destroyer was exciting also. The special FX for the most part were good, with a few cheesy scenes. Destroyer was quite a formidable foe and his various incarnations were very cool-looking. I especially like the hack n' slash scene where Godzilla and his enemy are tearing each other pieces, literally.

Also, there are some poignant moments in this movie. The finale left me with quite a lump in my throat. Godzilla finding Jr.'s body at the aquarium were also quite touching.

Well, all in all, this is a good kaiju film. Lots of monsters. A cool opening scene. Lots of cute Japanese girls, especially Megumi Odaka. A rousing Akira Ifukube score. Great.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I think this is going to be Godzilla's last fight.
lastliberal4 July 2007
This was the last Godzilla film in the Heisei series, and it certainly topped all the rest. All the stops were pulled out to make this one a fantastic and explosive film that made July 4th a real firecracker.

First, they are trying to develop some new chemical to kill Godzilla and they create some really neat looking creatures that look somewhat like a crab or a lobster with a long neck and a head. I really don't think Godzilla will have any trouble with these things as one spent five minutes trying to get a girl our of a car and couldn't do it before he was destroyed.

But, the creatures apparently form in to one Destroyer and this one kills Baby Godzilla. Godzilla arrives to do battle and what a battle it is. The fireworks were spectacular and the sound track was marvelous.

Add to the mix a space shuttle-like super jet piloted by a cross between Tom Cruise and Will Smith and these babies don't stand a chance. Since this is the end of the series, you know Godzilla will die, but you can be sure that he will likely comeback in some form in the future.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Story of Godzilla's so-called death goes back to original film
rosscinema26 December 2004
Of all the Godzilla sequels that have been churned out this one relies on the 1954 film for it's source of material and even has one of the original cast members reprising their role. Story here has the island that Godzilla is on melting into the ocean from an underwater volcano and the reaction that occurs from the pure uranium where Godzilla starts to glow and smoke. Scientists figure out that when Godzilla's body temperature reaches a certain point a nuclear meltdown will occur that will destroy the earth. Meanwhile, Dr. Kensaku Ijuin (Takuro Tatsumi) has developed a device that alters micro-oxygen (which is reminiscent of the Oxygen Destroyer from the original film) and mutates microorganisms that grow into insect-like creatures that are named Destroyers.

*****SPOILER ALERT***** The smaller Destroyers mutate once again and fuse together to become one larger Destroyer and Tokyo decides to lure Godzilla Jr. to combat it. Japan now has two serious problems with Destroyer and the ticking time bomb that Godzilla has become and they call in a special forces team called G-Force with a destruct proof plane named Super X III. Also helping out are Kenichi Yamane (Yasufumi Hayashi) and Yukari Yamane (Yoko Ishino) who are descendants of Professor Yamane who helped kill Godzilla in 1954. An ESP agent named Miki Saegusa (Megumi Odaka) who has spent her career watching over Godzilla Jr. is totally opposed to using him to fight Destroyer and she turns out to be correct as he ends up getting killed. This infuriates a glowing Godzilla who tries to breath life into it's offspring and than proceeds to destroy Destroyer.

This film was directed by Takao Okawara who has plenty of experience in directing these types of films and this also marks the last Godzilla film that producer Tomoyuki Tanaka was involved in after working on every one since the original. This story picks up after the film "Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla" and all references to any of the previous films ends here. Everything made after this film makes no references to previous events in the past so this is the last of the original story lines from Toho Studios. One of the most interesting things about this film is actress Momoko Kochi who is reprising her role as Emiko Yamane from the original 1954 film which is fitting since this was her last acting effort before her death. Along with the casting of Kochi the film's story ties in the Oxygen Destroyer and has flashbacks to the 1954 film and it's characters. As far as Godzilla films go one can't help but feel some sentiment as the story reminds you of it's origins and even feel some sadness as we watch Godzilla and it's offspring die (supposedly) but it also reminds viewers that even a so-called silly franchise like this was based and inspired by something that touched a nerve in our culture.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly moving
max williams23 June 2006
This film is one of the most action-packed yet touching Godzilla movies, a combination that makes for one of the best of the series to date. I'll admit I'm slightly biased, since this was the film that began my obsession with Godzilla, but I love this movie. The Big G himself is spectacular; not only does he look awesome, but he's arguably more powerful here than in any other film. What's more, his displays of emotion allow the audience to relate to him more strongly than ever. His death at the end of the film is not only truly haunting, but also brilliant film-making. The monster action is top-notch: brutal, exciting, and striking an almost perfect balance between Showa (Old series) physical fighting and Heisei (80s-90s)beam fighting. There's even spraying blood! What more could you want? The film cycles through these battles at a nice rate as well, never letting the pace slacken, but still giving the audience a breather now and then. To top it all off, Akira Ifukube's music is, as always, superb. Even I have to admit, some of the special effects and plotting are a bit corny, but since when has any real Godzilla fan let that put them off? This film is a treat for any G fan, and an awesome conclusion to the Heisei (1984-1995) series. Even non-G fans should check it out, if they want to know what Godzilla's really about.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I'm speechless. It was excellent.
Gojira-124 November 1999
Wow. I've seen all of the Godzilla movies but this one really got me. Seeing Godzilla with that orange glow filled me with awe and worry at the same time. (Spoiler) See, Godzilla has been absorbing too much nuclear energy and is about to meltdown. G Junior was really impressive and wasn't the cute Barney portrayed in G vs Space G. Destroyer was one of the most evil villains I have ever seen. Unlike King Ghidorah, Biollante, or MechaGodzilla, I held a hatred in my heart for him. (Warning Spoiler Ahead!) When he killed G Junior like that, I wanted to see Godzilla tear him limb from limb. The army finishes of Destroyer and then there is the tearful scene when Godzilla dies. Then, all of the radiation levels disappear. Through all the haze and fog, we see Junior, now mutated into a full-sized Godzilla after absorbing the nuclear energy. He emits the Godzillic roar then it fades to black. The end, or the beginning? Overall, this was the best G movie since the beginning. I would recommend this to anyone in for a great movie and the sad ending of the world's most honorable anti-hero, Godzilla.
The for real end of Godzilla or is it not? ***Some Spoilers***
dee.reid30 December 2001
In the final installment of the second generation of Kaiju films, we first see Godzilla in China. However, something is awry. He is glowing orange. Obviously, something is not right. Then a young college student comes up with a theory. His theory is that Godzilla is on the verge of a thermonuclear meltdown. With his body temperature going up fifty degrees a day, they calculate he will go into meltdown within the next week if not sooner. Now this probably would not be all that much a problem under normal circumstances but because this is a Godzilla film and he is so massive, he would spread radiation all over the globe, killing everything on Earth. This however, is the least of our worries. It turns out that monstrous crustaceans dubbed "Destroyers"(they are byproducts of the Oxygen Destroyer used to kill Godzilla in the first film) have risen out of Tokyo Bay to fight Godzilla. They first start out as microscopic organisms that then grow into nine foot tall crab-like creatures that then combine into a monster that is just a larger version of the nine foot tall creatures that can morph into flying monster that later transforms into one large creature that is bigger than Godzilla. Whoa. The monsters first fight Godzilla Junior who is now starting to look like his father. Godzilla Junior is able to overcome his opponent without much trouble. Then Godzilla appears to combat the final version of Destoroyah. Well, you know the rest.

This is a film that every true Godzilla fan should see. I'll just go ahead and say that this films ending almost did bring tears to my eyes. Godzilla does go into meltdown and it is probably the most spectacular thing you will ever see in a Godzilla film. *SPOILER* The ending also does lead to the possibility of a sequel but with the release of the much recent Godzilla 2000(which ignores everything about the previous Kaiju films), it is now not likely to happen. *END SPOILER* For some strange reason though, this film should not really come as a surprise to anyone, especially those who have seen both the first and second generation of Kaiju films. This is because people who have seen both generations of Godzilla films would know that this is something that just had to happen sooner or later.

Now, the monsters. First Godzilla. Although this is his final film, it really belongs to Godzilla Junior because we actually see more of him than his father. Either way, we really get sympathize with Godzilla. We can feel his pain, his hate, his anger. We do this all the way up to his timely passing. Second, Godzilla Junior. Boy does he almost look like he's grown up. He is such a great improvement over the wimpy Minja from the first generation of films. The reason is that Godzilla Junior is actually able defend himself without the aid of his father. The best example of this is during his first confrontation with Destoroyah. Finally, Destoroyah. He or should I say they(because there is actually more than one of them if you count the miniature ones) are such bad-a**es. He is so far the second best opponent(s) Godzilla has gone up against. Destoroyah and second generation Mechagodzilla are the only monsters that have EVER come close to actually KILLING Godzilla.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah gets an 10/10.
Godzilla's gone. He's turn Tokyo into a ghost town
Ben Larson22 December 2013
This was the last Godzilla film in the Heisei series, and it certainly topped all the rest. All the stops were pulled out to make this one a fantastic and explosive film that made July 4th a real firecracker for me.

First, they are trying to develop some new chemical to kill Godzilla and they create some really neat looking creatures that look somewhat like a crab or a lobster with a long neck and a head. I really don't think Godzilla will have any trouble with these things as one spent five minutes trying to get a girl out of a car and couldn't do it before he was destroyed.

The fireworks were spectacular and the sound track was marvelous. Add to the mix a space shuttle-like super jet piloted by a cross between Tom Cruise and Will Smith and these babies don't stand a chance.

Since this is the end of the series, you know Godzilla will die, but you can be sure that he will likely comeback in some form in the future. -
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Could this have been our punishment?"
gigan-929 April 2009
Other than the original film, this movie is my all-time favorite Godzilla film and if you ask me one of the best Japanese monster films ever!! It is sad, yet dramatic, and still is one action-packed G-film. I love this movie first off because of its story. Kazuki Omori returns for the screenplay and he did a super job! I love how it references to "Gojira" by using a monster, Destroyah, as I prefer to call him. Although his actual Japanese name translated is Destroyer (after the Oxygen Destroyer). The story also tries to convey a nuclear message in mind with Burning Godzilla's meltdown, excellent! Takao Owara directs once more and he definitely knows what he's doing. So ironic he let us down with "Godzilla 2000". Akira Ifukbe does a compelling score, one of his best. 'Burning' Godzilla's terror theme sounded great and Destroyah's theme pounded terrifically. Godzilla Jr.'s theme returns from "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II" but now it's sad and moving. The final climax piece for Godzilla's death is the saddest music you'll ever hear in a G-film. It's so tragic, it made my eyes practically water.

Godzilla looks tight as Burning Godzilla and it was incredible effect, especially when CGI glows were added. Jr. looked great and brung a whole new design for infant Godzilla's. No more Minilla or Little Godzilla. Strangely, he's still pretty small compared to his adoptive father. Then comes Destroyah, one of my favorite monsters. He was incredibly original and probably one of the fiercest-looking foes Godzilla's ever met. Most of the forms looked great and moved realistically, except for the human-sized Destroyers. They looked good here and there, but overall were more than satisfying. The real weak pointto me was the soldier fighting them; the scene kind of holds back on the violence, which made it seem kiddy almost. But the scne with the reporter in the car was awesome!! They looked fearsome, and the flying and aggregate form still were A plus work. Thanks to Koichi Kawakita, we see the magnificent final form; a huge beast that delivered several unique attacks that were unexpected. I can't decide what's cooler: Destroyah's gripping tail claw or laser horn. One major reason this film is so great because of the graphic fight scenes. The monster bloodshed is fantastic and helped recover the film's darker tone.

Another is the drama. All along you know Godzilla is going to die, possibly ruin the Earth for eternity and at the same time, despite the pain, he is trying to get to his son. Destroyah is battling Jr. at Tokyo and you wonder; will he make it in time? At first it seems so, the two sharing a brief reunion, just before the reborn of Destroyah ruins it by killing Jr. It's a heart breaking moment that made me cry when I first saw it ( in 2000. I was a precious 8). Jr.'s theme makes it a tragedy. We see Godzilla mourn his son, showing us the battle worn monster still has heart. Destroyah too gets his character moment, both when we killed Jr. and when he interrupts Godzilla's grieving, showing us he is a cruel and truly evil monster. It is these moments I find so thrilling about this film. The monsters do more than just shoot rays at each other put simply. Then Godzilla and Destroyah battle and it's pretty intense. All along, Megumi Odaka plays her role beautifully and other than "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II", this is the only other G-film to make her a major part of the story. Although I have yet to see "Godzilla vs. Biollante", Odaka's first portrayal of Miki Saegusa (Besides, she's hot in this movie. I didn't like her hair in the last film). The battle is incredible and keeps on coming up with ways to surprise you.

The Super-X III stars in the final battle and surprisingly, along with the JSDF, blast my Destroyah out of the sky like a duck. This makes him the only monster in the Godzilla franchise to be killed by the Japanese military and not by Godzilla himself. Just an interesting point I wanted to bring up. After that, Godzilla unfortunately melts down, a combination of spectacular special effects and tragedy. Godzilla literally melts away, seemingly taking Tokyo with him (all the nuclear fallout). The music really enhances the King of the Monster's death I really have to say. It also seems both Godzilla's have died. However, Jr. is revived by his father's massive radiation fall out, creating a tight but still sad ending. A silhouette Jr., now a nearly fully grown adolescent Godzilla, roars in sorrow over his now gone father.

With both great SFX, a sad-ending, superb story line and Momoko Koichi even reprising her role from the first film, one of the best G films ever!! Despite its budget constraints, this film delivers in my opinion.
One of the Greatest
eddiedeezenrules23 August 2004
This is a very touching movie, one that moves me every time I watch it. People try to create touching movies all the time but never seem to get it right, with unlikable human characters (STEPMOM comes to mind), yet, in Japan, they are able to take an over-sized lizard and nearly bring me to tears. The sadness conveyed by the rubber suited Godzilla when her child is knocked out is amazing (as is the subsequent fury). These types of amazing films are few and far between, where you truly like the leads and hope for their survival (like in the recent BUBBA HO-TEP). In this film, Godzilla is going to die. You know this from the start, but the question is whether or not she'll take the Earth with her. Even with her heart beginning to melt, she continues to stick it out for us to battle Destroyer to the end, while protecting us from herself as well. The effects are what you'd expect from a Godzilla film, and I've only seen it dubbed in English, so you always have that to contend with, but this film is nearly perfect cinema, ranking right up there with masterpieces like KUNDUN, BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, HIGH FIDELITY, BUBBA HO-TEP, and EDWARD SCISSORHANDS. If you are a fan at all of the Big G, this film should not be missed, as it is on a par with Godzilla vs. The Thing (Mothra). 10 stars.
The last Godzilla movie...until Godzilla 2000
John Seal4 December 1999
This is the film in which Toho intended to kill off Godzilla, but they naturally left themselves an out just in case! And as it turns out, with the imminent arrival of Millenium Godzilla they needed it. At any rate this is a pretty sombre movie. Destroyah is a rather demonic opponent who is of secondary concern to Godzy fans.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Directionless, with a horrendous script, science a kindergartner would laugh at, and decent special effects
mstomaso18 October 2004
!*!*!**! WARNING SPOILERS !*!*!*!**!

Dear Godzilla

YOU are the star of these films. Everybody in most of the developed world knows you, and many of us love you. For this reason I am humbly requesting that you stand up for yourself and demand better treatment in the films you make for Toho Productions. Demand editorial privileges for the script - nay - just demand that the script be written before the film is nearly complete! Even a big green bipedal reptile with a rudimentary language could write better stuff than what I saw in this film. The actors plodded through the scenes with a stunning lack of emotion and a level of energy which could only have been equaled by the snoring audiences (two of the females being the only exceptions). Oops - I forgot, we were also told by a 15 or so year old expert on Godzilla that you are not, in fact, a big green bipedal lizard, but, in fact, a fission reactor which somehow reaches critical mass when exposed to "small oxygen" (whatever that is). Thankfully, however, a great big crab/demon/scorpion/lobster/cockroach/trilobyte thing shows up, which turns out (of course) not to be a great big crab/demon/scorpion/lobster/cockroach/trilobyte thing but rather to be an "oxygen destroyer". The Cockroach/Oxygen Destroyer is therefore, capable of canceling out your meltdown, at least to the extent that you did not have to star in a sequel to The China Syndrome. Oops - I guess that should be the Los Angeles Syndrome, considering the location of your meltdown.

Demand that the director decide which plot, or should I say, which movie, is going to be followed up on before the last half hour. And make him stick to it!

Demand that your truly sad and disturbing death scene, not to mention that of your offspring, place you in a permanently dead state and that the plot leading to it provide not only a non-ludicrous reason for your death - even if it means the salvation of all of the actors who were willing to sacrifice their careers for a role in one of your films - but also a meaningful context in which that death can occur. The next time you are asked to die in a film, please make sure that the production company has a ready explanation for your appearance in several additional films a year or so later. Your fans would prefer that you die when you're ready to retire, not when Toho needs a little extra money and an advertising gimmick. Godzilla, you are a truly uniquely talented person, and nobody will ever be able to equal you within your genre. For that matter, do the death scene right in (or better yet - ON) the studio, because you will undoubtedly take Toho along with you, and your fans might as well enjoy the destruction of the company which seems hell- bent on ruining your tradition of quality entertainment. So, next time they ask you to kark it, ask for a little extra money for your trouble, and plan on moving to southern California for your retirement.

People of your stature and physique are treated very well in the in the American film industry, so you could always come out of retirement and, with a little Bo-Tox, a few extra reps at the gym, a face-lift and an appropriate contract, I think you'd find American cinema, or even a political office, to be a perfectly acceptable venue.

Yours affectionately,

Mstomaso 10/2004 NJ, USA
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Godzilla vs. the Pseudo-Science Gobbledygook!
Brandt Sponseller24 January 2005
Because of some recent geological events, which also resulted in an island disappearing, Godzilla's (Kenpachiro Satsuma) "radioactive heart" is out of whack, and a nuclear meltdown is threatening--Godzilla could explode, and that would mean that all of life on the Earth would be wiped out, at least according to the computer simulation. Still, the military thinks it's a good idea to attack Godzilla and risk destroying the world, because otherwise Godzilla might ruin a few more blocks of downtown Tokyo. So they employ a number of tactics, including something about micro-oxygen which either infuses things with oxygen or depletes them of oxygen, depending on which page of the script rewrite we're on, some kind of freezing rays, mostly shot from a space-age experimental jet, and a gaggle of alternate monsters that can join together and become a super-monster named Destoroyah, and which shoots out micro-oxygen rays, freezing rays, or, well, something.

My account of the premise on this one should give you a good idea of how confusing the plot is this time around. Out of all of the Toho Godzilla films I've seen so far, and that's nowhere near the majority of them yet, this is the worst. On the other hand, it also has high entertainment value for being so bad. It's guaranteed to keep you laughing as you try to make any sense out of the plot. Thus, Godzilla earns my valuable 5 out of 10 rating, which is solely reserved for films that are "so bad they're good" (which is subtly different from films that are, let's say, very "different" than most standards of film-making and evaluation, but that are good despite their weirdness/ridiculousness, which is a large percentage of the Godzilla films).

Part of the problem is that the plot is very complicated. Most of it hinges on pseudo-scientific gobbledy-gook, and it's not very consistent with itself. Kazuki Omori's script is like an ever-shifting game of Clue. The weapons bounce back and forth between micro-oxygen, freezing rays and Destoroyah (a name that seems to be used both for monsters and a deadly scientific device), the perpetrators bounce back and forth between scientists, various factions of the military and monsters, and the locations bounce back and forth between various Tokyo locales and the ocean. It gets very confusing trying to figure out what's going on--is it the scientists with the freezing rays in the ocean, or the monsters with the micro-oxygen downtown, or the military with the freezing rays at the airport? I suppose I could have kept hitting pause and tried graphing the plot, but that seemed like too much work for watching a Godzilla film. Instead, my attention turned to how ridiculous and funny everything was, and I was extremely entertained.

Like many Godzilla films, the big brawl at the climax of the film mostly consisted of relatively random special effects, which are supposed to be the monsters shooting out rays of stuff from their mouths, eyes, armpits, etc. It's not usually clear what any of the special effects are supposed to do, because there is little consistency in the reactions of the monsters to the different special effects, and they take turns acting like they're hurt and then getting back up as if nothing had happened--something like "professional wrestling".

However, this film is notorious for supposedly being the end of Godzilla, or at least this nth instantiation of Godzilla, and the "nuclear meltdown" scene has some pretty nifty effects.

If you can enjoy it for its absurdity, Godzilla vs. Destoroyah is worth a watch. Everyone else should avoid.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"His spines are melting. It's time."
classicsoncall12 January 2014
About once a year I'll tune into a goofy martial arts flick from the Seventies or one of these Godzilla films. Turns out that once a year is probably a bit too frequent. I know there's an audience for this stuff but I don't know how one manages the patience. However I do get a kick out of the pseudo-scientific babble about subjects like micro-oxygen, freezer rays and cadmium shells. What got me the most about this picture was how a Japanese teenager that looked about sixteen years old was advising the country's top scientists and military leaders. Not to mention how any time the venue changes, there was Kenichi or Yukari right in the thick of the action whether it was in a lab, on a helicopter or on the scene of Godzilla's next battle. I think I may have learned my lesson with this one, I'll just lay low and not get enticed the next time I see something like this on the cable listings.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
That's one hell of a heartburn!
E102y24 May 2000
Godzilla's back, and boy does he look bad!

I think Kenpachiro Satsuma really goes the distance to make Gojira as realistsic as possible in this movie. Unlike SUPESUGOJIRA, his atomic ray is now red constantly throughout the movie.

Destoroyah is cool too. Unlike SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah is one mean mammajamma 100% of the time, especially when he drops Junior. I prefer his final form over the others.

Junior is cool, too. Unlike his peaceful selves in MEKAGOJIRA and SUPESUGOJIRA, Junior is one bad-@$$ little dude. His atomic ray's good too.

The special effects are outstanding, especially Godzilla being frozen, the explosion prediction and of course, his final death sequence.

Once again, I don't think the human cast was up to scratch. It was a delight to see the return of Emiko Yaname, but apart from that, there was nothing special. Once again, I wound up disliking Miki Saegusa. This time she uses her pyschic powers to lure Junior to battle Destoroyah, and later when the final form drops the poor little bugger to his death, Miki cries for it. IT'S HER OWN STUPID FAULT!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh no, there goes Tokyo!
TravelingExecutioner26 February 2010
One of the most visually interesting sequences in the entire Godzilla series is Godzilla's nighttime attack on Hong Kong at the beginning of 'Godzilla vs Destoroyah.' As the mountainous reptile thunders through the city bellowing his famous collapsing-gantry of a roar, the dorsal scutes on his back smolder with an infernal red glow, while his cracked and steaming torso blazes with hellish fire, resembling a massive lava flow come to snarling, ambulatory life. This is the most fearsome-looking Godzilla to date! The opening scene approaches iconic grandeur with the image of Godzilla with his glowing dorsal scutes looming in the night sky over Hong Kong harbor.

'Destoroyah' works better than most Godzilla movies because in spite of the vigorously idiotic voiceovers--English subtitles would have been less hilariously awful--it is an unusually dark and ambitious movie with flourishes of visual brilliance. This is almost the perfect Godzilla movie. Screenwriter Kazuki Omori and director Takao Okawara appear to be trying as best they can to steer the 22nd film in the long-running series in the direction of its grand progenitor, the 1954 Ishiro Honda classic, 'Gojira,' the most serious and beloved film in the series, and one whose tragic, minimalist tone 'Destoroyah' more closely resembles than perhaps any other recent Toho effort. At times, 'Destoroyah' feels almost like an homage to the Honda classic, an impression furthered by the movie's use of the classic theme and a montage of vintage 'Gojira' clips at the end.

The movie is uncluttered by the usual 'Destroy All Monsters' hodge-podge of punchy guys in floppy rubber suits, however the sole antagonist is a doozey. Destoroyah is a nightmarish half-bat, half arthropod with a little of Ridley Scott's 'Alien' thrown in for good measure. The grim final battle between Godzilla, 'Godzilla Junior' and Destoroyah is one of the goriest in the series, with a bleak, unforgiving outcome that seemingly leaves little room for Godzilla's reincarnation: as the big guy's nuclear heart overheats, the flesh literally falls away from his disintegrating bones. (Of course, this is a Godzilla movie, so anything is possible.)

I like Godzilla, however in the past he's been treated like one of those former Saturday Night Live actors who keeps getting cast in crummy movies, as if they don't know what to do with him. When the new Godzilla series debuts in the next year or two, let's hope Toho continues the trend away from goofy subplots and disposably witless characters. As the great South Korean monster movie, 'The Host' proved, it is possible to populate such films with believably human characters, and to even have them provide sly comic relief without compromising the integrity or humanity of their characters. The big Guy deserves as much, and so does his audience.
One of the best, 10/10
bruce-marshall223 December 2004
Godzilla was thought to be over after the film "Godzilla - Terror of Mechagodzilla". But he was remade in 1984 in an attempt to recreate his city bashing self. It worked, and a new Godzilla series was born. The series was going well, with a mixture of old and new monsters. After Godzilla's 40th anniversary when he faced his deformed cousin Spacegodzilla, they decided to end the series. The did with great style in "Godzilla vs Destoroyah". Godzilla's island blows up because of nuclear fission and Godzilla gets nuclear burns all over his body. His son Little Godzilla also changes into Godzilla Junior. The plot, When the first Godzilla died The radioactivity poisoned some tiny lifeforms from the Precambrian era. They begin to mutate and eventually turn into a 10ft high crab like thing that go's on a rampage in a factory until they merge together and turn into a big version of what they used to look like. Junior shows up and has one of the best fights in Godzilla history. Junior wins and then Godzilla shows up. But Destoroyah mutates into his final form. He takes his revenge on Junior by dropping him on a building and killing him. Godzilla is enraged by this and has the best battle of all time with his most powerful foe of all time. The superx-3 comes and kills Destoroyah. Godzilla's heart over heats and melts down at 1200 degrees. All his energy is consumed by the dead Junior who turns into a full size Godzilla. The film ends by showing clips from the "Original" movie accompanied by Ifukube's brilliant tune. I give this film 10/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
May not nearly be Godzilla's best, but still one of my favourites
AwesomeWolf5 November 2004
Version: Japanese audio, English subtitles (by SBS) 'Godzilla vs Destroyer' seems to get mixed reviews from Godzilla fans. It's either awesome or terrible. Having only seen 'Godzilla' (1985) and 'Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla' years ago, I caught 'Godzilla vs Destroyer' when it appeared in SBS's cult-movie time slot. 'Awesome!' was my reaction when the film finished. Sure, Godzilla has a quite a few better movies around, but 'Godzilla vs Destroyer' got me watching Godzilla movies, and for that I guess it will last as one of my favourites.

After Birth Island mysteriously blows up, a very radioactive Godzilla turns up in Hong Kong and trashes the place. Little Godzilla has gone missing, and Godzilla has been supercharged, leaving his heart about to go into nuclear meltdown, according to the mystics of G-Force. Back in Japan. Dr. Ijuin (Takuro Tatsumi) has discovered organisms - created from the DNA of the original Godzilla and the effects of Dr Serizawa's oxygen destroyer from the original 'Godzilla - living in Tokyo Bay. Growing at an alarming rate, the new oxygen destroyers pose a threat greater than Godzilla.

The story strikes me as being a weird mesh of the silliness of some of the later Showa Godzilla films, combined with the scientific merit of any average episode of Power Rangers. 'Godzilla vs Destroyer' tries to be taken seriously, but when given the smallest amount of thought, all the absurdity and rampant gaps in logic really build up. I love it all the same, but I feel that if the story had involved the viewer more instead of shoving insane amounts of drama and science-fiction in our faces, 'Godzilla vs Destroyer' could have easily been one of the best Godzilla films around. No one likes having insane amounts of drama and science-fiction shoved their face.

However, all the absurdity, gaps in logic, and questionable science, make for some cool action scenes, if nothing else. The Destroyer creatures have more than a slight resemblance to the creatures from 'Aliens', and the movie is rife with low budget special effects. Sometimes it is hard to make out what is happening on screen, but the chances are it is just another explosion or monsters duking it out. I enjoy watching monsters duke it out and take entire cities with them, and I'll bet the rest of you do too. Don't lie now.

'Godzilla vs Destroyer' may just be another average Godzilla movie, but I love it for the fact that it was the film that got me interested in Godzilla movies - 7/10