IMDb > Fist of the North Star (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Fist of the North Star

Fist of the North Star More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Uhm...what the heck was that?!?

Author: wnterstar from United States
5 January 2005

****Spoilers**** This has to be one of the lamest, most predictable movies I have ever seen. The plot is predictable, the acting is barely passable and the fight scenes are marginal. I mean in one scene, where the hero is being attacked by foe after foe, ad-nauseum, you see some of the "dead" move out of the way of another falling foe! In another scene, it looks like the hero and the villain are trying to step on each other's toes! If that isn't bad enough, and this is a spoiler, (as if this movie was unpredictable to have that matter) the hero all but give up when he is lead to believe the great love of his life is dead only to be given renewed hope from a weed sticking up from a crack in the floor! Having said all that, I found myself staying up late just to watch the end of the movie! Bottom line...Not a good movie, but a fun movie! A 4 out of 10

See it and judge for yourself.......

Author: TheFarmer from United States
6 November 2003

Ok after reading all of the others comments I had to say something for myself. Japanese anime that are made into movies cannot be the same thing. So don't even try to compare a cartoon to a real action movie! Gary daniels is great in this film. If you like martial arts action then this one is for you. Oh sure it has a little sorcerer science fiction blend added but hell look at the comic books and the videos. Bloody books and cartoons,bloody movie. Live action will never copy a cartoon or comic book. So quit being so damn hard on films and just watch it for the entertainment which is what it was meant for. See it for yourself and then decide. TheFarmer out

Laughable Attempt at Recreating a Classic Manga

Author: silverain from Chicago
25 August 2003

This movie had to be the single worst example of a manga/anime-to-movie transition to ever come into existence. NOTHING about this flaming pile of dung was good.

We had a hairy white guy with a Japanese name (who was SUPPOSEDLY the master of the Hokuto Shinken martial art) who could barely land a decent punch on his goofy and wholly ineffectual enemies, another hairy white guy (who was SUPPOSEDLY a master of the Nanto Koshuken form of the Nanto Seiken martial art) who, as was mentioned in a previous comment, fought like a common street thug and sported a hilariously stupid accent, a Japanese lady who couldn't speak a lick of English and had to read cue cards written in her native language to struggle through all of her scenes (all 0.015 of them), a total switch around of the Hokuto no Ken characters and canon, acting bad enough to strip the paint from a wall, the most mind-numbingly fake movie sets in the history of the universe, and a less-than-healthy dosage of regurgitated "mystic oriental proverbs" courtesy of Ryuken (which of course made absolutely NO sense whatsoever).

A complete and utter bastardization.

And even if I hadn't seen this lame-assed movie with the knowledge of its origin, I would've still given it a failing grade. The fight scenes were laughable, the plot razor thin (without the campy goodness from the anime and manga that made it fun), the actors wooden and unconvincing, and the enjoyment null and void.

There were no good points to this film. Absolutely none. It's a failure of the highest degree and its existence should be removed from all human memory.

Exploitive, live-action anime offers a good excuse for some slick, gratuitous savagery.

Author: TheVid from Colorado Springs
3 June 2003

Satisfying only in an uncut video version, this outlandish martial arts costume piece relies strictly on lots of spraying blood, loud screaming and tensed muscles to makes it's inevitable point. Gary Daniels' sleek physique makes the best impression, along with Chris Penn's exploding head.

Worst Movie Ever!

Author: Woelker
27 April 2002

This is simply the worst movie ever created by human kind. Please never see it and avoid it like the plaque. The acting is terrible, the premise is simply awful. The effects are the worst thing I have seen since Big Trouble in little China Town. At all costs, avoid this, even if it in involves shooting yourself squaw in the noots.

do NOT watch this movie

Author: eVan_Diesel from Michigan, USA
30 September 1998

This movie does no no justice to the story, originally presented in the fabulous and timeless classic cartoon. Rent the cartoon instead and stay VERY far away from this version. Even you gore hounds will find the cartoon much more satisfying.

Hugely underrated

Author: HaemovoreRex from United Kingdom
22 September 2009

As with any movie adaptation based upon any much cherished cartoon (or for those choosing to be pernickety in this instance, anime) and/or comic book, one thing is guaranteed and that is a subsequent sharp divide between those fans who will embrace the new envisioning and those of a more purist persuasion who will generally loath it. Certainly, as a huge fan of the original animated series (and the subsequent animated movie) that this is inspired by I am initially sad to report that this isn't an entirely faithful adaption of its source material......in fact, quite far from it.......bad news there then. Having said this however, what we do have is an entirely admirable and indeed commendable attempt nonetheless for a great number of reasons.

For a start, production values are absolutely top notch with some truly wonderful set designs, some great (and joyously gory!) special fx and a tremendous musical score. The combination of aforementioned aspects lends the film a truly epic feel - far, far greater than one could conceivably imagine given the relatively small budget this was made with.

So to must I commend the casting; Gary Daniels especially has never looked better (and his moves have never looked finer) in the role of Kenshiro (even if perhaps he is far too softly spoken in the role). Costas Mandaylor gives a suitably cold performance as Shin and despite no former martial arts training looks rather good (thanks to the wonderful fight choreography of Winston Omega). Christopher Penn to is clearly having a ball with his character and hogs all the best lines in the film including such gems as, 'It's not easy being sleazy.'

As said previously, this is anything but a faithful adaptation of the anime yet if one can overlook this fact and judge it on its own merits then it is a hugely entertaining effort with much going for it. My advice....give it a chance and you may well be (as I was) very pleasantly surprised.

Pretty good film

Author: Rautus from United Kingdom
14 October 2007

Fist of The North Star is a live action version of the Japaniese Anime Hokuto no ken, the film isn't a great adaptation of the Anime since they're are things that were slightly better in the series like Kenshirô's hundred crack Fist of the North Star technique but this film is a pretty good Martial arts movie. Tony Randel who directed Hellbound: Hellraiser II and Amyitivlle 1992: It's About Time directs this film and Peter Atkins who wrote Hellraiser II, III and IV wrote the screenplay for this film. Fist of the North Star does have some cool fight scenes, the acting is good and there is some gore in the film.

Fist of The North Star isn't has good as the Anime but it is a solid martial arts film, some fans of Hokuto no ken may be disappointed with the movie but for those that like post-apocalyptic movies then check this one out. 10/10

Powerful adaptation that stays fateful to the original

Author: lordzedd-3 from United States
15 September 2007

Now this is a good adaptation of the original manga and anime, the Producers of Daredevil and Super Mario Bros. can learn something by watching it. It stays fateful to the story without changing any major plot points or characters. I do wish they had the scene where Ken powers up which destroys his shirt and the seven scars glow. But that is really minor compared to the whole movie. They also didn't have the guy that had the energy strings that sliced people like ham. That was cool. Again a minor complaint. This is an exciting and entertaining live action American version and I think fans of the anime will enjoy this.

A Poor Effort From Director Tony Randel

Author: CMRKeyboadist from Sleesburg, VA.
20 October 2006

I was really disappointed with this film. I saw it back in 1996 on the Sci-Fi channel and remembered it being not half-bad. Upon watching it again, I found it to lack many things. I never watched the Anime or read the comics because I am just not into that stuff, but, from what I have read about it, the Anime sounds like it wipes the floor with this poor production.

Kenshiro is the hero of the story played by Gary Daniels for some reason. It's funny, I thought Kenshiro was suppose to be Asian, but whatever. Lord Shin, the lead bad guy also played by an American, kidnaps Kenshiro's girl Juliet and leaves Kenshiro for dead after brutally injuring him. What you think would be a classic good vs. evil story gets very boring as nothing happens until the end, and at that point you have already lost interest.

I had thought this movie was going to be extremely violent due to the fact that the Anime is suppose to be viciously violent, but, this movie lacks any real action or violence, minus about 3 or 4 scenes. Instead, what we have is a movie that feels like the end of a really bad Trilogy that doesn't exist. Perhaps, if the movie were cast better and had a decent script it would have worked better. And Tony Randel as director was very disappointing considering this is the same guy that directed Hellraiser 2 (one of my all time favorite films).

The only plus side of this movie was a pretty decent soundtrack and Chris Penn. The soundtrack was very good considering the movie was very boring. Chris Penn did a cool job with his character and was probably the only real highlight of the film.

I guess I need to watch the Anime, even if I don't really like Anime. I would suggest staying away from this movie only if you really like Gary Daniels. 4/10

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]