IMDb > Escape to Witch Mountain (1995) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Escape to Witch Mountain (TV) More at IMDbPro »

cool

Author: kooka141 from California
1 July 2004

I absolutely loved this movie. I saw it when I was much younger. It certainly left a good impression on me. i have been searching for this movie on video for the last 5 years. I used to watch it on the Disney channel all the time. It's a great movie about a set of twins trying to find each other. they are from another planet and they try to find away home. it's weird that all the twins are either girl, girl or boy boy. but the main characters are a boy and a girl. it has a villain that happens to be like a billionaire. and his butler, there's a surprising twist there. any way i highly recommend this movie it is absolutely fantastic. but hey thats just my opinion. and i also haven't seen the movie in years but i know it was a great movie.

Very fun!

Author: chaze_r from Kennewick, WA
28 April 2000

This made for TV flick that can often be seen on the Disney Channel was a real treat. It's based on the 1975 Escape to Witch Mountain, but it's got new special effects. I liked this one better than the first. The acting is much better and special effects are far, far improved. Robert Vaughn plays the part of an evil millionaire who wants to use two twins that have magical powers for his own gain. They are called by an unknown force to Witch Mountain for an unknown reason. Check it out! It's really fun to watch!

Good for younger kids but that's about it

Author: Willow192 from Orlando, Florida
8 April 2001

This was one of those cheesy kind of movies that little kids who know no better will enjoy. Based on the original 'Escape to Witch Mountain' this one just doesn't deliver the same as the original. Sure the effects are better, the color looks crisper, and most of the actors are pretty good. But none of that could save this movie from an incredibly unbelievable script and horrible direction. The first movie was more believable than this. The whole 'purple power' was incredibly stupid and unimaginative. Watch the first one, it's way better than this piece of garbage. On the upside...The money hungry adoptive father does a pretty fine job and the kid that plays Xander is kind of cute...::wink wink::

Has absolutely nothing to do with the book, and little to do with the original film

Author: Ardath Rekha from United States
10 March 2012

As a grade-school child, I had watched (and been impressed by) the original '70s film version of Escape to Witch Mountain. I liked it enough that I went to the library and borrowed the original book by Alexander Key, and then kept checking it out until my parents finally decided that they should buy me my own copy. After several readings I had decided that, cute as the Disney film was, it had missed most of the crucial points of the book and hadn't even bothered to convey any of the depths that existed within it -- and which were well within the abilities of kids to comprehend -- and I started hoping that someone would remake it and "do it right." The 1995 remake emphatically didn't.

For someone who never saw the original film, much less read the book it's all purportedly based on, this might be a charming piece of fluff. But as a big fan of the original book, I was beyond disappointed and well into appalled and disgusted after watching the TV movie. Absolutely nothing remained of the original plot. Nothing. Not even character names had been preserved. Most of the scenes that the film had in common with its predecessor were fluffy add-ons that never even occurred in the book at all, so it was painfully obvious that nobody involved in producing this thing had ever bothered to crack open the book and see what was actually there. So do yourself a favor and just read the book yourself, in favor of trying to find this schlock. You'll get a story that makes actual sense, that way.

Rather average, but has some good performances

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
1 April 2010

The 1975 version was a charming film, so the writers here had a hard feat to make this 1995 TV remake as good. Surprisingly, it is not as good, to be honest I found it rather average, but it does have some redeeming merits. The obvious plus is the cast, Elizabeth Moss and Erik Von Detten are appealing as Danny and Anna, and Robert Vaughn while not as malevolent as Ray Milland is suitably nasty as Edward Bolt. Among them and doing more than adequately are Brad Dourif, Henry Gibson and Vincent Shiavelli. The film is nicely shot, Bolt's house looks amazing and the special effects are decent for a TV movie. However, the script is weak and the plot is formulaic in a lot of places. Consequently it lacked the charm of the 1975 film. Also for an 87 minute film, it is rather short, so the character development wasn't particularly that strong. Though Danny and Anna's chemistry was believable enough, the music was lovely and the ending had a sense of poignancy. Overall, not great but not a complete time-waster. 5/10 Bethany Cox

Caught bits and pieces of it on T.V one night.

Author: callanvass
21 August 2010

This is your typical T.V remake, only this time the two kids are really devoid of any type of charm. Robert Vaughn is decent in the Bolt role, but this basically a scene for scene remake, aside from the beginning from what I saw of it. It looks cheap, and tries to hide it with it's decent big name cast, but that didn't change the fact that it can't touch the original, and even that itself is only above average. I really do not get the need to remake stuff. Even though this isn't technically Hollywood, don't producers have a better imagination these days?

Bottom line. Stick with the original, nothing to see here.

Excellent

Author: boxerpuppyluver from United States
19 March 2005

I saw this movie when i was 4 years old. I loved it! In fact i've been trying to find it this whole time. This movie is a must see! I would recommend that You try and watch it with your kids. They will love it. I haven't seen the old one but I'm sure this one is better. Summary: Twins (boy and girl) have a purple power. They get separated and the girl gets sent to a greedy adopted dad's house. She gets reunited with her brother and they escape to the mountain with all the people with purple power. I may have forgot something because my memory is vague of this movie. I mean I saw this a long time ago(I'm 13). Hopefully this will assist you in if you want to see this movie or not. I highly recommend that you do.

Escape to Witch Mountain

Author: pebbles_4life from United States
5 July 2005

Escape to witch mountain (1995) was one of my favorite movies. i'm kinda upset that most people find it a horrible movie. if this is not a good movie then i don't know what is. i still remember my friends and i would play scenes from the movie. so i'm not the only one that enjoyed the movie. there are still people out there that would still enjoy it. plus it's a great movie for little kids. there is probably no doubt that kids all over the world would watch this. if only this movie would come back on the Disney Channel. most people forget about the movie now because it hasn't been around since it was released on TV, but i haven't. even now i would still watch it over and over again.

so much better than 1st

Author: Ann Tresa from United States
28 October 2007

It is so much better than the 1st! I loved Anna and Danny's relationship! It was so good. The characters were so much better! They should do a sequel to this.... It is so awesome (I'm not allowed to long word, just ad like 40 s's to that) awesome! I recommend to anyone who liked the first, or the second, old one. I heard their doing a remake. i doubt it will be better than this though. I loved it!!! The boy was adorable, the girl was great too. Same concept as the first, but it was still a lot better. The plot was good, I loved Xander he was awesome. That man was horrible, I swear I thought Anna would die in that cave. lol! it was great

It was pretty good

Author: vampsf from United States
19 July 2006

This version of this movie was pretty good. It was a different kind of take on it. As to the comment that one person made about the previous film; it was made in 1975, not the 50's. If you're going to comment on something, know what you're talking about it. The kids' acting could have been a little bit better, but look at how young they are. It was the beginning of most of their careers. Most kids that age don't have the experience to be perfect actors. Cut them some slack. For a TV movie, it was pretty good. The special effects for this were pretty good. The script kept you interested and wanting more. People always seem to be expect movie quality from TV movies, that's just not that realistic. They don't have that kind of budget.