IMDb > Empire Records (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Worst 'alternative' teen flick evaaaaaaaaaaar

Author: Alec Richardson from United Kingdom
22 May 2006

This was appalling, seriously, who wrote and directed this sham of a film; Sixth form students on a ketamine come-down? It hangs together like a shoddy patchwork quilt.

The characters are utterly 1 dimensional and unbelievable, it is impossible to care for any of them for even one second. I wanted to pulverise Lucas' smug face until it was just Pate in a skull shaped bowl. Ug, it makes me sick just thinking back about it to review it.

Gwar are on screen for a couple of seconds which is good, but even they are tarnished by this cinematic turd.

Whichever cynical film company put together this mockery of alternative teen life should feel ashamed and should probably be taken outside and shot.

still fun -- even though im not in junior high anymore

Author: TheMadFerret from United States
10 October 2002

i dunno. theres just something about this movie.

yeh, in actuality, its probably dreck. its probably worthless and people probably wont remember its years and years from now when they start making out the lists of '90s movies that changed the sphere of moviemaking.

so what?

for me, this movie really does capture the feel of the mid-'90s. i was like these people once. i wore an outfit scarily like the one liv tyler sports (although without the hideous unders combo, im sure), i knew people like every one of the 'archetypes' from the movie and i really, really wanted to work in a record store. hasnt everybody? and doesnt everybody want there to be a cool record store like this in their town?

i guess for me it is a nostalgia thing, but i watched it (again) the other night with my boyfriend, and we both still laughed during the funny parts and cuddled during the sweet parts and, well, danced during the dance parts.

its just fun to look back on such a 'time-period' movie like that ... the clothes, the attitudes, the music even ... how good is it to hear the gin blossoms again, eh?

im sure many would disagree, but for someone who was right there when it was all happening, so to say, its a gentle reminder of the days before mtv committed suicide, before liv tyler started making 'real' movies, and when phrases like 'whats with Today, today?' could travel through a junior high faster than mono.

A rock and roll good time of teen movies

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
31 October 2005

I remember watching some of this when I was like 11 years old, a year after it came out. A friend of mine was just in love with this movie, but I didn't really watch much of it. I just couldn't relate or didn't get it.

When I made my wonderful journey to Blockbuster Video, I noticed it again, and was just curious to see it. Renee Zelleweger, Liv Tyler, Robin Tunney? Wow. I'm glad I watched this movie, because I can relate to it more now. My work, lucky enough, is a lot like this movie. We're all close friends and have fun. But I'd like to work at Empire Records, they can actually dance in the store! :D The acting was fun and enjoyable and the story is a hoot. I would recommend Empire records for a watch. Just have fun with it. This was the time where there were some actual good teen movies. You also get the early glimpses of Rene and Liv. They actually look good in this movie! :D No offense to them. They just look weird now.

A Soon-to-be Cult Classic

Author: Lindy-5 from Monroe, Louisiana
22 November 1998

This movie is the best ever about being a teenager in the nineties. Every person under the age of 21 needs to see this film.

Slice of life in a music store.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
7 January 2006

As one critic bluntly says, in one day everything that can possibly happen to the characters does, and everyone comes out better at the end. Truly this doesn't happen in real life, but in REEL life we call it entertainment. I enjoyed it as a quirky comedy. I probably would not have been so entertained if it didn't have some of my favorite stars, some before they hit it big -- Renee Zellweger, Liv Tyler, Debi Mazar, and Anthony LaPaglia. I was not familiar with Rory Cochrane, but his character Lucas was one of the best here.

So, what's the story? LaPaglia is the manager of this Eastern US record store, Empire Records which has been in business since 1959, the sign tells us. On this fateful day employee Lucas is asked to close the store at midnight, and count all the money, twice. He does, and also observes that plans are in place to sell the business and convert it into a rather dull record store. So, he does what any good employee would do. Instead of putting the $9Thousand in the safe, he gets on his motorcycle and heads to Atlantic City with it! That begins a rather hectic 24 hours, involving all the employees of Empire Records.

SPOILERS. Rory is so confident, he bets all $9Thousand at the craps table, rolls 7, and doubles the money. He leaves it on the table, rolls again, snake eyes, and loses it all. Much of the movie involves what to do about this. Other activities include one girl who decides to shave her head, a punk shoplifter who is chased down by Rory, and a stuck on himself recording has-been. They hold an impromptu party at the store, get enough to pay the $9Thousand back. In the end the owner gets fed up with everything and tells LaPaglia he can keep Empire Records, he will sell it to him at a very good price.

Nothing Earth-shaking, just a fun movie to watch.

A movie about what retail is REALLY like..

Author: SyxxNet from United States
11 December 2000

I worked for a record store chain when I first saw this movie and there wasn't one person who worked at the store that didn't agree that it was one of the funniest, and sadly, most accurate movies ever made.

The movie succeeds on so many levels, it's just too hard to describe. I found myself identifying with every single character in some way, and Empire made it easy to laugh at the true insanity of what people who work retail go through: obnoxious customers, bosses that are cool, higher ups that suck, etc.

The movie made me a lifelong fan of Coyote Shivers' music (check out his CD if you haven't already -- it's a scream) and many of the talented players, but especially Ethan (Randall) Embry and Kimo Wills.

Highly recommended by this ex-record store clerk!

Melodrama at Play

Author: Sean Lamberger from Bradenton, FL
23 August 2011

This was much better off as a fond memory; digging it out of the archives for a modern viewing just made me question my younger self's taste in movies. A storeful of vapid, self-absorbed caricatures come together to hawk records, listen to radio-friendly '90s mush and reveal just how shallow they truly are as a collective. Very young Liv Tyler and Renee Zellweger show some skin and look good doing so, but that's pretty much the only highlight. Whoever chose the soundtrack for this needs to be deafened for the good of all mankind - for a store that's supposed to be all about the anti-establishment, it's got very bland, mainstream tastes.

Putrid. Annoying. Loathsome.

Author: hijinx
4 July 1999

This noxious, fecal, rancid excuse for a film had me terribly disgusted throughout. The plot feels much like something out of a poor NBC sitcom; in fact, NBC might've done a better job with it. The cast was totally stereotypical and unexciting, the idea was formulaic, and I felt cheated out of my time and money by seeing this movie.

0.0/5.0 stars.

Great Movie!

Author: me
28 October 2002

This movie is brilliant. I especially like Ethan Randall(now Embry('s portrayal of Mark. This is the one of the most underrated gems in film history. Wonderful. I recommend it to anyone who just wants something to have fun with. 10/10

Destroy Every Copy of this "Film"

Author: bodhisattva14 from Neshui
14 October 2007

If you're looking for plot, serviceable acting, continuity, and general viewing satisfaction, you would be better off renting a copy of "The Garbage Pail Kids Movie." Poor Anthony LaPaglia. He is a fine actor and does not deserve to have any affiliation to this crap. The only explanation is that he agreed to star in this film to pay off drug and/or gambling debts. Either that or the producers have some seriously compromising pictures of him. Everybody involved in the making of Empire Records should spend the rest of their careers writing apology letters to every sucker (of which I am one) who had the misfortune of viewing such amateurish tripe. To anyone who actually enjoyed this "film", I pity you - seriously.

Page 2 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]