IMDb > Drunks (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Drunks More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

A much too positive account of AA!

Author: JonathanJ from Reading, England
1 June 2004

Very well-acted and moving film in places, top marks going to actors Spalding Grey and Howard Rollins jr but all in all, a very poor depiction of AA. The film was depressing and lacklustre yet still portrayed the AA experience as being too positive. This film is for people who wonder what AA is all about without ending up there. The truth is however more grim. As with all of these films that tackles issues pertaining to addiction, the central premise is a character who goes completely off the rails but is reunited with sanity the next day, while singing the praises of the institution that he/she is involved with. A tawdry, positively biased AA film. Avoid at all costs!

Eh

Author: gena_s from ny
2 July 2001

I had wanted to see this when it came out, but it was playing, I think, in one theater in NYC, for a week, and then it was gone. I am a tremendous fan of most of the actors in this film. I finally got to rent it this week, more than 5 years after it was released. The film is ok, the actors are very good. It isn't preachy at all, but it's still got some problems. Each actor gets to say about a sentence before the camera moves on to the next character. We learn nothing about anyone except for Louis' character, and his plot and personality aren't interesting enough to hold viewers' attentions for 90 minutes. What bothers me most is that there was no point to the film: They meet at an AA meeting, talk about their lives, realize it's tough to kick the habit. I just wish it had been more complex. And the great ensemble cast hardly gets to interact with one another. But, on the plus side, this is your once in a lifetime chance to see these actors in the same film.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]