IMDb > Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde

Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde More at IMDbPro »

Nowhere near as bad as they said it was

Author: guyfromjerzee from United States
27 November 2005

I was pretty impressed with the movie, considering it was on almost every critic's Top 10 Worst List the year it came out and did poorly at the box office. It's certainly not a first-class comedy, but it made me laugh. Many of the gags are predictable, but even predictable gags can work at times. In one funny scene, Tim Daly writes on his naked body that he slept with his two male bosses, expecting that he was going to morph into Sean Young at a certain time, the executives would see her and her reputation would be ruined. But he doesn't morph into her, the execs walk in, and he's totally humiliated. An undeniably cheap gag, but funny nonetheless. The cast is good. Tim Daly, despite his experience with comedy on the hit sitcom "Wings," is an unusual choice for this comic lead, but his low-key approach works. I read in the trivia that Jim Carrey was originally going to take on the role. I think if Carrey were to play the role, he would've hammed it up to the extreme, unlike Daly who does a fine job at keeping a straight face in each ridiculous situation. Jeremy Piven is almost always amusing, and he steals the show in the few scenes he's in. Though Sean Young's career has faded lately, she's by no means a no-talent. Not to mention she's quite easy on the eyes. Harvey Fierstein is hilarious as a gay man who suddenly starts having feelings for women, once he meets Ms. Hyde. One thing's for sure: You will never see another movie where Fierstein's in bed, having a post-coital cigarette with a woman. My only minor criticism is that the low production values are pretty obvious. And this is yet another movie that is set in New York, yet doesn't even make an attempt to disguise the fact that it was shot in Canada. Showing establishing shots of the Manhattan skyline just helps prove that it wasn't set in NY.

Interesting, very interesting.

Author: Robert Lopez ( from Australia
9 July 1999

Dr Jekyll and Ms. Hyde is a comedy full of out of control laughter.

Sean Young is great (in more ways than one) as Helen Hyde. Although it may not prove to be everyones cup of tea I think that it could grow on you.

The whole story line is about a doctor who tries out an experiment left by his Great Grandfather, But it ends up turning him into a girl.

The laughs start and stop there. I think its worth a 7

Make no Ms-take, this movie will please genre fans!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
17 June 2005

Richard (Tim Daly) is a descendant of the original Dr. Jekyll. Although he works in a perfume laboratory, he has bigger dreams. Rick lives with a delightful fiancé (Lysette Anthony) but no wedding date has been set. One day, Richard inherits his relatives books and notes, only to stumble upon the secret formula used to create the infamous Mr. Hyde. He mixes up a batch and drinks it. However, Richard is in trouble when his alias turns out to be a conniving woman (Sean Young). Is there a way out of this mess? Fans of romantic comedies will likely be happy to add this to their list of viewing pleasures. Daly, Young, and Anthony are all very attractive performers, with charm oozing everywhere. The rest of the cast is delightful, too, with Jeremy Piven doing his usual good turn. The plot may be silly but it is fun, too. As for the interior of Richard's apartment, it is to die for; one may want to put the VCR on pause to recreate the look. In short, if you like fast, fun films with some kisses thrown in now and again, this one is for you.

Classic freak turned to comedy!!!..Not bad!!

Author: win-3 from Bkk, Thailand
14 March 2000

I do like the way this movie tries to tell us about value of human being.Simply funny story but witty script.The cast was very good.Sean Young and Tim Daily were so smart as Jekyll and Hyde for this comedy version.The movie was obliged to the script based on a play.Happily,I can watch it over again to appreciate Tim's speech near the end.

The infamous story for the 90's

Author: Stuart Hatch from London
27 September 1999

A so-so film, that does have a few laffs. Basically about a chap who gets left a spell by his great-grandfather that changes him from women to man. I give this film an 8, but only because it does have the gorgeous Lysette Anthony, and she's worth watching in any film...

Great premise, but...

Author: Costu-2 from Pennsylvania
24 July 2000

This is a modernist twist on the classic Stevenson tale, with Tim Daly playing mild-mannered perfume researcher Richard Jacks, who is turned into the stunning (but increasingly lethal) Helen Hyde (played by the gorgeous Sean Young) when he drinks a formula bequeathed to him by his greatgrandfather, Dr. Jekyll. (Are we to assume that this is the ORIGINAL Dr. Jekyll??) Despite a fairly strong cast -- which includes Harvey Fierstein and Stephen Toboloswky as colleagues of Dr. Jacks at the perfumery and Polly Bergen in a scene-stealing turn as an important cosmetics executive --,, some neat morphing technology, and some sporadically hilarious moments, the film does not fulfill the promise of its interesting premise. OK comedy with horror aspects -- but nothing special, I'm afraid...

Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
26 October 2009

I had seen a clip of this film on some kind of celebrity nudity documentary, and I guessed from the title that this was a waste of my time, so I had to watch. Basically perfume creator Dr. Richard Jacks (Superman: The Animated Series' Tim Daly) doesn't want to keep making nicely coloured sweet smelling potions, he wants to try and make scientific significance. One night, he discovers not only did his grandfather know Robert Louis Stevenson (writer of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde), but he was called Dr. Jekyll, and knowing the story he hopes to follow in his grandfather's footsteps. So he creates a potion with the idea of duality of man separating good and evil, concentrating on his DNA, but he adds more estrogen to make it less dangerous. Doing this though has unforeseen side effects, and he ends up not just creating another personality, but making himself a ruthless nymphomaniac woman named Helen Hyde (Razzie nominated Sean Young). As Helen, she is determined to climb the corporate ladder, stealing Richard's perfume ideas, seducing any worker she has to go to upwards, and eventually, eliminate Richard completely from existence. This is not only making Richard's personality get into danger, but his fiancée Sarah Carver (Lysette Anthony) thinks he's having an affair with this Helen. Don't worry, Sarah finds out the truth before everyone else, and he not only gets rid of Helen forever, but he succeeds with the new perfume, and they go on to make a family together. Also starring Stephen Tobolowsky as Oliver Mintz, Harvey Fierstein as Yves DuBois, Thea Vidale as Valerie, Scary Movie 3's Jeremy Piven as Pete Walston, Polly Bergen as Mrs. Unterveldt, Stephen Shellen as Larry, Sheena Larkin as Mrs. Mintz and Batman's Robert Wuhl as Man with Lighter. I am not surprised this film went into bargain video bins when released, I admit seeing Young naked was okay, but this is a pointless revamp of the classic story, the performances, the story, the special effects and the premise itself are all awful, it one of the most unfunny films you could ever see. It was nominated the Razzies for Worst Remake or Sequel and Worst Screen Couple for Daly and Young. Pretty poor!

Jekyll and Hyde story...again

Author: Petri Pelkonen ( from Finland
29 August 2000

We all know the story of Jekyll and Hyde.There are several of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movies out there.And this is one of them.Except Mr. is Ms.Tim Daly plays Dr. Richard Jacks who becomes Helen Hyde, played by Sean Young, when he tries out his Great Grandfather's experiment. Helen Hyde is a woman who tries to ruin everybody's life, especially Richard's. Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde from 1995 is actually a bad movie, but it's also pretty interesting.It's not a masterpiece but it's great entertainment. So watch this movie if you want to see a bad movie that is very entertaining.

Ms Hyde has nothing on Sister Hyde!

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
16 March 2006

The seventies Hammer Horror film, Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde, took the ridiculous idea of Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll accidentally turning himself into a woman and ended up making a brilliant horror film out of it - David Price's film, on the other hand, takes the same idea, pretty much ditches the horror and spins it into a worthless comedy. I really wish I'd watched the Hammer film again instead of wasting my time on this garbage, but unfortunately, it's too late now. Robert Louis Stevenson would probably turn in his grave if he knew what had become of his classic story, and I wouldn't blame him for it. This film mixes gag based comedy very loosely with horror, and Dr Jekyll and Ms Hyde is, basically, just an excuse for having Timothy Daly get himself into all manner of embarrassing situations. At best, it's only ever moderately amusing. Daly plays scientist Richard Jacks; a perfume creator. One day he discovers that his grandfather was Dr Jekyll, and so sets about dabbling in his experiments; however, he soon regrets it when his alter ego, Helen Hyde, is created.

The film loosely mixes in themes of the difference between men and women both personally and career-wise into the plot; but these themes are only ever half baked, and feel as though they've been incorporated by accident due to the plot rather than because the film has anything to say. The acting is your typical over the top comedy stuff, with Timothy Daly taking the lead role. In fairness, he approaches his role with relish and is actually quite good, despite his silly voice-overs. Sean Young gets the role of his alter-ego and sleepwalks through the film, while the shining light where the cast is concerned comes from Lysette Anthony's corner. Not because of a great performance; but she is nice to look at. Comedic support from Stephen Tobolowsky, Harvey Fierstein and Jeremy Piven gives the film most of its gags, but most of them aren't funny. The way that the plot moves is largely annoying, and director David Price seems to like focusing on an object, and then cutting to the next scene. The plot is basically a series of situations, which does nothing to draw you into it; and it's not long before the film becomes monotonous. I don't recommend this crap at all, but if you like watching films where Dr Jekyll turns himself into a woman; there's always the Hammer Horror flick.

Poor film with great potential

Author: joe elliott from Leicester, England
10 October 1999

Sean Young is likely to be the one who gets the most credit for this adequate movie, but really only Jeremy Piven reaches the most laughs, with his scene stealing comeback to Young's question "Are you just gonna stand there and watch me or are you gonna hand me that towel". Bet you can't guess what he says.

Despite having Piven in the credits, this film is a sexually orientated film that tries too hard to be anything else. Young is sexy, but nothing else. Daly is disappointing, and can't handle the character. The others are also nothing special.

Don't watch this if you have any self respect. For great comedy, go to the Farally Brothers because they're sure to tickle your ribs. Rating=2/5