IMDb > Don Juan DeMarco (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

An intelligent film

Author: mashii99
1 June 2004

This is really an example of how a romantic comedy should be and how fantastic a romantic comedy can be. Intelligent, witty and great fun. It gives its audience respect by delivering a clever story with good actors and great lines.

The story is quite absurd and so is the duo in it - Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp. But this is just a good thing. Hollywood usually thinks its audience is filled with morons when making romantic comedies, but this is not so. There are still a few of us out here who enjoy the combination of intelligence, elegance and romance. This film delivers on all counts.

Love is a simple enough ingredient for a film. This film knows how to use it and the result is wonderful.

Every bit as great a performance as in "Pirates".

Author: GrannyInArizona from United States
15 September 2005

I loved this movie. Within five minutes I was smiling and didn't break stride for the entire performance. Depp is strong in this role and very convincing as the world's greatest lover. Marlon Brando is funny and witty and is well supported by Faye Dunaway in the marital relationship of a couple heading for retirement and the best times of their lives.

Johnny Depp is perhaps one of the most versatile actors of all time. His performance is true and expressive and I just love his smile. I compare this performance to that of his character of Jack Sparrow in "Pirates of the Caribbean".

I have no problem, whatsoever, recommending this movie to everyone.

4 SECRETS OF THIS FILM YOU SHOULD NOT MISS !

Author: nz man from New Zealand
5 March 2000

Unless you understand these 4 secrets, you will miss what the film is all about:

1. The film is NOT about Don Juan !

2. The film tells us how to rekindle love in our lives, even if we are old and gray-haired. This is so very important!!

3. If we do not have a good dose of fantasy, of rich imagination, of beautiful dreams in our lives, then we will become 'burned out' by the harsh boredom of reality-as-we-perceive it. We are also challenged by the question "What really is real?"

4. If we have too much fantasy and not enough reality, then we cannot cope with the rest of the world. Also, society will not be able to cope with us and we will be isolated, perhaps in a mental institution or at least in our own twisted world.

Oh - did I say that this film is not about Don Juan? Well, in a sense, I lied. It is and it is not. See the film and think about it.

Superbly well acted by Johnny Depp, Marlon Brando, and Fay Dunaway (what an incredible beauty even at her age!). An amazing script and a very original story. Unless you understand the meanings above, or if you have a cold heart, you'll probably rate it a 5 or 6.

I give it a 9 out of 10!!

Its one of those never-fail pick-me-up movies - fun, cheeky and sensual

Author: Ben Parker (ben.cheshire@optusnet.com.au) from Australia
28 July 2004

Psychologist Dr Jack Mickler (Marlon Brando) is called upon to negotiate a man down from the top of a tall building - a man claiming to be the great Latin lover Don Juan de Marco (Johnny Depp). Although Mickler is about to retire, he agrees to take Mr de Marco on, and delve into his mind and past. What he didn't count on was that Don Juan is starting to make him feel like HE'S missing something...

The lives of Brando and Dunaway interact with their roles in the film - as oldies in need of rejuvenation by the young sex god. They were both sex symbols in their youth - Brando, till about the age of 60, was a real life Don Juan - he really HAS probably slept with over a thousand women. So if you know this it brings an interesting layer to the movie.

It is a great journey which calls up all the great noble romances of the past in a tongue in cheek manner, with a love of stories, of fantasy, of women.

I wouldn't hesitate to call it the most romantic movie ever made. If there was one flick you had to put on to set the right mood between you and a girl, this would be it.

Looking at Johnny Depp might also help her in that regard.

Its also a great fun family movie - which is a delicate balance to strike.

Disclaimer: there are about two sex scenes, which, though very discreetly and beautifully shot, featuring no vital organs, may be inappropriate for littlies, if you wish to shield them thus.

Superb!

Author: Cheetah-6 from Maui
24 July 2000

A superb story where patient helps heal the doctor. In this case by spreading a bit of his romantic affliction. When one is so utterly convincing in their fantasy, it can become charming and attractive. If you have one ounce of the whimsical in your soul, who can't help but be drawn in. A story so well written and acted by all involved, it has to get a perfect 10.

A beautiful fantasy

Author: wyyrd1 from USA
16 August 2003

I want to live in Don Juan's world. Johnny Depp at 32(?) is quite believable as a 19 year old. He is also even more sexy than usual. I love him as Don Juan, but I think the most touching scene is when he is being interviewed by the judge and is "just a kid" and admitting to his real story. I cried when Marlon Brando asks Faye Dunaway what she wants to do and she says "I thought you'd never ask." I missed these characters after the movie was over. I could watch it over and over.

Glorious

Author: Constantine Butler (constantine@dial.pipex.com) from Southampton, England
21 December 1998

A witty and original story with a real sense of character. I was compelled by the mysteries of Don Juan before gradually understanding that the question I had been asking myself - whether Depp is a slightly insane guy from Phoenix, or the world's greatest lover of 1502+1 women - is irrelevant. His story, whether fact or fiction, is a highly effective feel-good fable that brings across a whole new concept of the meaning of passion -- while not attempting to take itself too seriously. Equally enjoyable is psychiatrist Brando's transformation from mid life crisis-ridden man to great Hispanic lover. Hilarious, thought-provoking and romantic in equal measure, this film will make you hum latino melodies for days to come, and is perhaps the ultimate date movie for those less fortunate than the Don.

What is the state of your romantic soul??

Author: rvadams from Bellevue
8 April 2002

I recently re-watched this film with some friends and found myself, yet again, swept away by it's enchantment, romance, and live of life. In talking about it afterwards, I was struck by how well this film serves to reflect the romantic state of our souls.

Quite simply, watch the film and, at the end, notice how you feel the about the character of Don Juan DeMarco.

Was he a sad, lonely youth who invented a rich, romantic fantasy world for himself that became so appealing and rejuvenating to his psychiatrist that in the end they fly off to Mexico to re-live that fantasy world under his benevolent supervision?

Or was he Don Juan DeMarco relating his adventures to Dr Mickler who becomes transformed by his tales of life and romance and is convinced of who Don Juan DeMarco is so that, in the end, they rehearse a story believable for the staff of the mental hospital that would set Don Juan free to fly off and reunite with his beloved Dona Anna?

The film supports both interpretations. Ponder deeply which one you *really* believe and it will reveal the state of your romantic soul.

well done and very unique

Author: muchneededescape from usa
13 June 2004

This is simply another great film by Johnny Depp. In the film, he plays a delusional man who believes that he is Don Juan. When I first watched the film I was actually waiting for another film to begin. However, I'm glad that I watched it. It has just the right balance of comedy and drama to make it a very unique film. As the movie progresses, Don Juan is telling his life story to his psychiatric doctor. As Don Juan commences, his doctor is also affected in many ways. The movie is directed very well, the ending is well done as well. I definitely recommend this movie to those who are fans of Depp's other works or just for anyone who hasn't seen a good film in a while.

Enrapturing and Unique

Author: Mitch-38 from Houston, Texas
22 September 2000

Wholly different the usual fare Hollyood dished up in the nineties, DON JUAN DEMARCO is charming and disarming. The screenplay seems lovingly crafted around the two stars, Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp. They share scenes of relating, discovery and moving, personal respect. Mr. Brando shows easily, why he is still one of America's leading thespians. Faye Dunaway as his wife, is marvellous beyond words. The interplay between these three characters is a spirit lifting tour de force, that will leave you holding hands long after the screen has gone dark.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]