IMDb > Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

awesome movie in Indian bollywood history

Author: gouravmahajan from india
11 September 2016

I was very moved and inspired by the clips alone! Then, I told my friend (who happens to be Indian) from my work study job invited to an "Indian Movie Night" at her dorm. We watched K3G and I was so touched by it! It was simply wonderful. Most of all, I became a SRK and Kajol fan. Their on-screen chemistry is remarkable! I can't explain it! Anyhoo, I asked my mom for some Bollywood movies for Christmas and one of the movies I got was DDLJ. And let me tell ya'll, it is now my favorite movie of all time. SRK and Kajol shine beyond reason in this flick. The script is excellent, everything is excellent especially the acting and memorable songs! The supporting cast (most notably Simran parents, sister and Raj's dad were figging awesome!) Mr. Amish (sic) Puri, who played Kajol's dad acts wonderfully with just his eyes! One of the funniest lines in the movie is when Raj's friend walks into Simran's dad store and says "Uncle, can I have some beer?!" Gosh, it's the way that cat said the line that made it so FUNNY! After watching it again yesterday, I realized that I love so many Hollywood movies (particularly classic ones) and yet I couldn't state my all time favorite one. But while watching the making of DDLJ (I own the special edition version with two DVD's inside), I became rather teary eyed. I mean, I'm getting teary eyed writing this review at this moment! This film touched not only my heart, but my soul as well.

It's lovable because it's so stereotypically Bollywood

Author: DrEbert from Washington, DC
2 March 2012

Every now and then, a movie comes along that manages to epitomize every single stereotype about its genre. For instance, "Commando" managed to epitomize a typical Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie. "Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge" epitomizes modern Bollywood.

The story, the characters, the choreography, the music, even the fight scenes are all very stereotypically Bollywood. The story is long, predictable, and melodramatic. Most of the characters are one-dimensional. Those that aren't are given "depth" in typical Bollywood fashion, i.e., by having them behave completely opposite in the last act of the film than they did in the first act. The scenes in India, London, and Switzerland are all beautifully filmed -- so beautifully, in fact, that they live up to the Bollywood stereotype of having bright, colorful, over-the-top locations for each of the song-and-dance numbers, and continue to reinforce Bollywood's love affair with Europe and European culture. The music is constant, pleasant, quite melodic, quite thematic, and always somehow upbeat, with heavy use of strings, the sitar, and the piano. The fight scenes are incredibly bad, again in true Bollywood fashion. The only thing missing is the requisite courtroom scene.

And yet, in spite of all of this -- or, perhaps, because of it -- there is no doubt that "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" is an incredibly charming film. It makes for good escapist fun with incredible camp value, while also having enough genuinely good material (i.e., its songs) to make the movie into a bona fide classic instead of just a camp classic. There is a reason why this film persistently makes it onto critics' "must-see" lists of Bollywood movies. It is not because this film represents the finest of Indian art cinema. This is no "Mother India" by any means. Rather, this film represents Bollywood (i.e., Hindi-language commercial cinema) in top form. For those who were uninitiated with Bollywood films, this makes an excellent initiation film.

You will not walk away from "Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge" feeling inspired or moved. You will, however, walk away from it with a smile on your face. As silly as what you just saw was, there was something enjoyable about it.

Long but charming entertainer

Author: long-ford from India
28 January 2009

This is a very long but charming Bollywood romantic comedy. It's a lot of fun for the entire family. Shahrukh overacts as usual but he and Kajol have sparkling chemistry together. This allows the viewer to suspend disbelief and have a rollicking time. The songs are romantic and very catchy. Amrish Puri is ideally cast as the stern father and Anupam Kher is lovable as the big-hearted dad. DDLJ has been copied umpteen times, and indeed it is no longer as fresh as it was in 1995, but it remains a great entertainer. Recommended to all who want a gentle introduction into Bollywood.

Overall 8/10

umm....

Author: chirag_shah775 from United States
7 May 2007

whats so great about this film that it continues to run in the movie theaters of India? Who continues to see this movie in the theater. More importantly, who goes to pay to watch this movie? Whats so amazing about the storyline...OK so a boy meets a girl...Raj and Simran meet in London. Simran must go back to India since her father is planning to get her married. raj goes to India to do whatever it takes to get the love of his life. OK, perhaps this was a good movie when it came out, and yes perhaps it is considered a classic, however times have changed. This movie is not close to international standards. It was entertaining the first time i watched it...Today it is nothing compared to black Friday, omkara, eklavya, and the many films bollywood releases.

overrated film

Author: rockmt from Boston, MA
14 October 2007

This is the third Sharrukh Khan film I have watched and the second one in which he is paired up with Kajol. While I can see things that definitely make this film memorable, which explains its long running success, the film is not without problems.

Sharrukh Khan as Raj is as funny as he will be in later films and Kajol does give a strong performance but the first part of the film relies too much on slapstick. Some aspects of the film are truly unbelievable. While Sharrukh and Kajol are outstanding actors, director Aditya Chopra could have done better in choosing actors of Indian descent with real British accents to play Raj and Simran as the two are second generation South Asians who were raised and schooled in Britain. It just makes the two characters as British born unbelievable, especially in scenes like the time Simran was hitchhiking and then questioned by the Swiss police. Even more unbelievable is the scene in which Simran throws a brick through a shop's window and steals a red dress with Raj just standing by and shaking his head. In real life, the two would have been immediately arrested by the authorities and charged with theft and property damage.

The film's ending seems rushed. Sharrukh's character shows really strong emotions only late in the film. When he realizes that marrying Simran would be breaking her family's honor he agrees to leave without her. Simran's father is adamant that she will not marry Raj but changes his mind at the last second right in front of his friend without much explanation. Remember that Simran is still bounded by agreement to marry Kulreet. This sudden change is bound to open a can of worms which only a sequel to the film can resolve. Also the fight scene between Raj and Kulreet looks to be ripped off of an Abhishek Bakchan action film and is totally unnecessary.

All in all, I really recommend Kuch Kuch Hota Hai over this film as Sharrukh and Kajol really perform their best and the plot is much more believable in that film. KKHH is a very fun family film. This film can only serve best as an introduction to Kajol and Sharrukh Khan.

bad bad watch!

Author: aditi gupta from India
2 January 2011

this movie is overly dramatic and has the same old boring story about a girl meets boy but the dad of the girl acts villain in the love story.The dialogues of the movie are clichéd and the lead actor, Shahrukh Khan has overplayed some parts.I don't understand why the filmmakers even bothered making a movie on the plot that has been so over exploited in the Indian film industry and worse,the audience liking it.

a total waste of time, energy and money.

An absolute no watch if you don't like the regular conventional stuff (read dramatic). This movie sucked, big time!

Fun, but nowhere near the likes of Mughal-E-Azam, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and Maine Pyar Kiya.

Author: MovieInspector from United Kingdom
12 February 2011

Let me start off with the performances. Shahrukh Khan was just himself; nothing too special about his performance. Kajol was her usual emotional self too. Amrish Puri is OK in the film as is Farida Jalal and Satish Shah. The story is like every single film of it is kind. It is nothing special.I don't actually understand why this film is so famous; there is nothing about the story or acting that justifies the film's status. What Kajol wears throughout the first half doesn't do her any favours as an Indian actress. The music and dialogues are the only two good things; everything else is very typical. This doesn't come close to Maine Pyar Kiya (1989), Mughal-E-Azam (1960) and QSQT (1988), but it is still a decent watch Verdict: just music and romance - I give it 7/10

awful movie ever

Author: titanic_poseidon from India
16 August 2008

this is the worst movie i have ever seen in my life. the acting is typical.the scenes were worse.the dialogues were so stupid and idiotic that i would like to close my ears when my brothers play it.the director tried to make a big money out of this stupid film.take TITANIC movie for example. the budget was too big and so was the profit. in future please try to avoid making such typical movies.this was a joke in the name of films. the Hollywood films are so grand especially the titanic movie. the song and the heart wrenching music of titanic is so suitable for the film but here the songs are idiotic. the story, oh please a very simple love story. this is and will be a third class movie.

Not a bad movie.

Author: si_shaalini from Avinashi, Coimbatore DT., Tamilnadu, India.
7 March 2007

But are really the second generation Indians in the U.K. like haU the characters are portrayed?The romance between the hero and heroine is good,the locations and songs also.It's a different film and has it's good moments of comic relief.The actors accents certainly don't saUnd English.It would have been more natural and realistic had it been so.WaI do the Bollywood filmmakers do this?Kajol's costumes were good and her character is too intense.And the lyrics of the songs are good.Shahrukh Khan has done justice to his role and Karan Johar in a small cameo appearance looks like a geek.The family laIf portrayed is really warm.From,Shaalini.

Nothing Extraordinary

Author: mannu mehta from India
16 March 2010

I find this movie so much overrated that it gives me goosebumps to consider it as one of the greatest movie of Bolywood. and this is just because of the commercial success it made. Had the movie been flopped, it wont considered such a great thing since it doesn't have anything special. Its just the hype which made it a good runner, otherwise from the content point of view it has nothing new to offer. the characters doesn't look believable and gives you a feeling that they are not characters but acting on screen.

Shahrukh khan repeats himself over and over again. Kajol overacts many times, an OK performance but definitely not an award worthy. the saving grace of he film lands to the music directors Jatin-Lalit and Amrish Puri.

Watch it only if you have some time to yawn.

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]