IMDb > Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Absolutely gorgeous

Author: AmidalaSkywalker from Germany
19 August 2005

This movie is one of my alltime favourites! The plot although not new is perfect, which is probably why it has been used so many times. Raj and Simran fall in love while touring through Europe and when they get home, Simran is supposed to be married off to India. What I love so much about Bollywood, is all in here. First of all, Shahrukh Khan and Kajol are the perfect couple. They interact so well, everything fits. Second, The music is so great, I played the DVD a week or so until I got the CD. Third, we first see the cultural environment of London and Europe, which is contrasted very nice against India with all the fantastic colourful clothing. Fourth nice story components and Dialugues. The only reason for me not to give full 10 stars, is because off the dreadful late 80ies clothes (obviously the 80ties in India lastet deep into the nineties and because I want to spare a star for Khabi Khushi Khabi Gham, which is in my opinion still the best Hindi movie ever.

Great fun

Author: paul_shock from London, Canada
12 December 2003

I confess, I had to watch this film for school and went into it planning on a three-hour nap. Instead, I found myself watching a tremendously entertaining picture. Sure, DDLJ is frothy melodrama, but it has an innocence that makes it far superior to a lot of North American "quirky" romantic comedies.

8/10 for great entertainment.

The best romantic Hindi film ever!

Author: Nurul (mardhiah12@yahoo.com) from Malaysia
2 February 2001

In this story, Simran and Raj are first shown as rivals and then, the relationship slowly developed into love. Shah Rukh became popularly known from this film and this film was shown at cinemas for 5 years! The film won 10 awards in Filmfare during its release. The scenery is beautifully potrayed and the songs, especially the theme song, Tujhe Dekha, could melt your heart. Even though, it has typical Hindi films ending (where the hero gets the heroin and they live happily ever after), you still seems to get worried that Raj won't be able to get Simran, and you laugh and cry along the movie. I won't spoil the ending for you, but truthfully said, I've never seen another romantic Hindi film that could match to this.

My all time favourite movie!!!!!!

Author: sswitzerland from Canada
3 November 2000

This movie was a personal favourite of mine! The acting, the set, the emotions were all perfect! Not to mention the songs.....which will always be remembered and cherished. A definite must see! I have seen it about 8 times.....and still counting! *****

Best Hindi Film of the Century

Author: shere_panjab from London, England
21 December 1999

I don't think I have ever witnessed a movie of such brilliance than Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. I think the acting on behalf of kajol and Shahrukh Khan was superb and showed how brilliant indian actors can be. the support acting by Amrish Puri was brilliant and brought out the contrasting elements of Shah Rukh Khan and Amrish Puri.

I think the underlying reason why this film is so brilliant and fantastic is that the film has reinvented and retold the story of love and made us believe in the fact that the right person is always out there. The film tells the reader of a love story in which no matter how big the obstacles are, that love always truimphs. Well Done to Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol etc for producing, in my view, the best film of the 20th Century, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.

Great songs, love the songs. Oh yeah, and the film...

Author: Rash from London, England
5 November 1999

I have problems giving films a full 10 out of 10. I usually panic and end up giving them 9. But I had no hestitation with this one. One of the very few films that actually made me shed a (solitary) tear. Being a laddish bloke admitting this is not easy.

Back to the film. Usually a film lives off its songs (maine pyar kya being a prime example). However the storyline of this film stood out for its originality and the directing was superb. The scenes in London were the most realistic I have seen in any Indian film (or drama) to date (except the dancing on the streets of course).

This is the closest to Indian film perfection since Pakeeza. A must see film.

I have no words.....

Author: shailajarindani2005 from India
9 April 2008

My ever favorite movie.Man i can watch this movie no matter what.I have the tendency to leave all my work just to see this movie.After watching this one i fell in love with Shahrukh.Even today he is just too sweet as a lover and well he is too sweet in any role.:-D..... Anyways where the movie is concerned there can't be anything so sweet and simple as the love shown between the two leads.When this movie completed 500 weeks i actually went and saw it all over again in the hall just to relive the charisma and magic of the movie and the feeling of the true love and romance that this movie generates and one on which i have grown up.The caption 'Come.....fall in love' seems to be made for this movie as as many times as u watch it you will fall in love again and again not just with the movie or shahrukh or the chemistry of the lead pair but also with the very emotion called LOVE!!!!!!!

Now about the movie....well i won't be doing justice if i name anyone mind-blowing scene as all of them are just too good.But still one scene does no matter what remain my fave is the one towards the end of the Europe trip where Shahrukh and Kajol are standing on the bridge where he questions her what if you would have fallen in love with someone on this trip,say for example me,then also will you still go and get married.On this kajol just stares and him and when he just laughs and says i was joking.She just gives him an exasperated look and walks away.He just stands there and chants...Palat,Palat,willing her to turn around and look at him if she loves him.The moment she looks back at him as she is boarding the train he just jumps up with true unadulterated joy of a man truly in love.The thing that pulls at my heart string is the very innocence of the feelings portrayed by the two of them.

Well i can keep raving about this movie all day so closing on the note that its a must watch for all those who are in love.believe in it or have ever loved anyone.You will find a part of your love story shown in some or the other scene of the movie......

COME.......FALL IN LOVE!!!!!!!!

Great, fun, bubbly movie!

Author: bogartsthebest from United Kingdom
6 June 2006

It's like this: Dilwale is no Battleship Potemkin, as my Indian friend who hates Bollywood pointed out to me when I said I preferred to analyse DDLJ than BP for our Analyzing Film exam but, then again, Dilwale is not trying to be.

The reason why the movie is great and one of the best I've seen is because it's silly and simple, yes, but also tremendous fun! The songs and dances are truly amazing and, unlike some people believe, the characterisation has depth. I should know because I had to discuss the different distinctive traits that make up all the characters in DDLJ in my exam and people would be surprised at just how layered and complex they are, if they took the time to pay attention (if you don't believe me, read the BFI book on the movie).

Also, the picture has no pretentiousness: unlike Devdas, which was so melodramatic I'm surprised the whole cast didn't die from the agony of having to act in such an overrated and over the top Romeo and Juliet ripoff (people scream all the time especially Aishwarya Rai who is the most hysterical of them all), DDLJ succeeds exactly because it's happy just giving us a magical young love story, which we could all relate to anyway but which is made even better because of the 1st rate performances given by everyone involved.

Kudos to Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol (my two favourite Bollywood actors), for creating such an intense, believable yet innocent and pure chemistry that made their love scenes just so sweet, beautiful and really heart-felt to watch.

I'm not saying that just because we are capable of enjoying this movie, we aren't capable of enjoying something more intellectual and political like Battleship Potemkin.

But it's nice to watch a movie once in a while that is not depressing nor always giving us extreme scenes of violence and sex with which Hollywood seems to be obsessed with.

Nowadays movies just seem to feature people who think life is not worth living, are always suicidal and spend their time doing sex and drugs. Maybe these sort of characters should be pitied or something but, frankly, they're beginning to bore me. I've seen enough movies featuring these sort of personages to last me a lifetime. Give me a character who's happy with life and not afraid to have fun anytime!

Much like the celebrated Singin' In The Rain, DDLJ is fun, leaves you feeling elated, has funny dialogue and you can feel the love that everybody involved felt about the production, which increases the quality of the picture!

feel good movie

Author: jarfsu from United States
11 April 2006

There is one scene in the movie when the song "Najane Mere Dil Ko Kya" begins, and the camera is focused on simran, and as she walks out the train station she turns back and longingly looks for some sort of answer. This is the type of thing great movies are made of. Dilwale Dulhania is a feel good movie based upon a very cliché plot, but somehow the originality of the actors set this movie far apart from the rest. It was the scene at the train station in London when you realize the acting is so convincing that you forget you're watching an actor and completely submerse yourself in the character. Shahruck khan may be the leading man in bollywood today, but kajol in this movie definitely stole the thunder from right under his nose. This is when you realize that although bollywood can mass produce movies every year, the ones that one should look forward too, are the ones where the leading actors have the most convincing chemistry. since kajols marriage, she had taken a hiatus from movies, and shahrukh khan had to make these epic love stories with other actresses, such as preity zinta and rani mukherjee. but the fact remains that not one single pair in bollywood history will ever compare to the pair of shahrukh khan and kajol, there movies will go down in history as being the very epitome of bollywood.

An Immotral Film!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
20 October 2011

'DDLJ' is An Immortal Film! It's among those "FINE" films, that remain perfect forever. It's among those gems, that can never go dated. Be it the direction, the screenplay, the songs, the performances, the cinematography...everything just gets better!

'DDLJ' Synopsis: A young man and woman - both of Indian-descent, but born and raised in England - fall in love during a trip to Switzerland. However, the girl's traditional father takes her back to India to fulfill a betrothal promise.

'DDLJ', even if not so hugely successful, it still would have gained a cult-following. Aditya Chopra's Screenplay is engaging, moving & most importantly entertaining. The Love-Story works big time, so do the characters & the situations. Cinematography by Manmohan Singh is picture perfect. Editing is smooth. Chopra's direction is sensitive. Music by Jatin-Lalit, is fabulous.

Shahrukh's performance as Raj, became a rage & catapulted him into Superstardom. He is lovable as Raj. Kajol as Simran, is fantastic, as always. The Chemistry between Shahrukh & Kajol, is infectious. Amrish Puri, however, steals the show as the traditional Indian father. The late legend delivers an incredible performance, that truly leaves you in awe of him. Farida Jalal is first-rate. Anupam Kher is great. Parmeet Sethi plays the bad-guy well. Satish Shah is decent, while Mandira Bedi is passable. Others are perfect.

On the whole, 'DDLJ' is one of THE Finest films to come out of Hindi Cinema. It's The Mughal-e-Azam of the 1990's!

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]