Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995) Poster

114 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Like every movie of its kind, and yet like nothing I've ever seen
editorbob7 June 2003
Dilwale made me glad to be a Westerner, just so I could experience the sheer rush in the glorious way this film simply throws its Indian sensibility in your face. It is one of the most completely, openly joyful films I have ever seen. In many ways a totally Western film, it is yet completely un-Western, and absolutely invigorating.

I found the (rather oddly looped in places) mix of Hindi and English dialog to be a lot of fun to follow (as incomplete as the subtitles sometimes seemed). The Indian/Western pop structure of the songs was entertaining and infectious. The choreography is simply amazing, and some of the most sheerly athletic I've seen. The Indian roots of the dance routines were at first almost unnerving--at once familiar yet bizarre, almost surreal (to my Western eyes). It was sheer fun making the cultural adjustment.

The plot is predictable, almost pedestrian--certainly not what you'd call "never done before," and yet I found myself completely absorbed in the story, and rooting for the main characters. This is in large part due to Shahrukh Khan's and Kajol's performances as Raj and Simran. He is totally endearing, and she is totally hot!, and their on screen chemistry is as cute & perky and smoldering & steamy as Fred and Ginger at their peak. It was, simply put, fun to watch them having so much fun.

Director Aditya Chopra was, I understand, only 24 when he made Dilwale, and the film was so successful its Indian first run lasted a world-record 11 years (and may still be going on, as far as I know). A heckuva testimony to Bollywood indeed. This movie has instantly become one of my favorite musicals, and I look forward to finding more films from Chopra, Khan, and Kajol. What a treat!
88 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Srk-Kajol's chemistry at its best.
ChiBron8 September 2004
Srk-Kajol have worked in a lot of blockbusters together(Baazigar, Karan Arjun, KKHH, K3G) but DDLJ will always be recognized as their best to date. Debutant director Aditya Chopra so perfectly brings these two together at the back-drop of a realistic family setting that its hard not to fall in love with them. Its chemistry at its finest. For Srk it was his first "Raj" character(play-girl type guy with the right values and morals) which he plays to perfection. For Kajol, DDLJ was a career making movie. As Simran she's beautiful, sweet, sensitive and a bit stuck-up too. Thank god Madhuri didn't have the dates to work in DDLJ cuz no actress suits Srk better then Kajol. There are countless heart-warming scenes between em' in DDLJ. Each one of them is uniquely different and just as much fun to watch. The entire setting of DDLJ is very simplistic, which brings out that special "oomph" in their romance. The songs are first-class. The strong supporting cast of Amrish Puri, Farida Jalal, Anupam Kher and Satish Shah definitely helped the movie to become the classic as its now seen as.

Bottomline: DDLJ is 'romantic comedy' with Indian emotions at its peak. From the cast, chemistry, music, direction and the awesome pairing of Srk-Kajol....its perfect!
66 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Romantic Bollywood movie ever!!!!!
shaheena_ali9 February 2005
DDLJ has been my all time favourite movie. its a wonderful love story about the second generation Asian youths! Raj the main character played by Shahrukh khan gives a superb performance and equally good as Simran (co-star) played by Kajol!! Its about a girl living in London, who's marriage has been arranged by her father to marry his best friend's son. She accepts her fate until she meets Raj in Europe and falls in love. The movie has won many awards including National Award(in India)for best story. The songs in the movie are also worth listening to, composed by Jatin Lalit which are melodious and romantic. Overall the movie is definitely 10/10, no doubt!!!
54 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"...Fascinating..."
Riazshiekh14 November 2001
If you missed this movie than you have missed the best movie made in bollywood history.This movie never seems to bore you.I have saw over a hundred times(Really).It's a fascinating movie.The plot was wonderful.The acting was really award winning.Shahrukh Khan is a gem of an actor.Really incredible acting by him.Kajol was excellent.The songs were awesome!The music was wow.The direction was cool.A must see for those who adore romantic flicks.
81 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Come fall in love...with a Classic!!!
anant_mathur8 May 2005
Probably one of the greatest love stories ever told. Director Aditya Chopra made his debut as a director with this film. Aditya is the son of legendary Director/Producer Yash Chopra who gave us films like Deewar, Darr, Waqt, Kabhie Kabhie, Dil To Pagal Hai and Veer-Zaara.

Aditya was one the first Directors of the New Generation of the Indian film Directors. With his first film he got rave reviews and was immediately classified as one of the best directors in Indian Cinema. With DDLJ, Aditya showed us what falling in love, respect, and family values are all about. This film also confirmed the Pair of Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol as one of the best in the Indian Cinema. It made Kajol and Shah Rukh superstars over night and two of the most sought after actors.

DDLJ also started the trend of love stories in Indian Cinema. Before DDLJ, most Indian films were action films. But DDLJ changed all that and the way of war was changed to a way of love. It's incredible how this film changed the Indian Cinema and the way of making films. DDLJ is a Forever Classic.

It recently set a new record for the longest running film when it crossed the 500th week mark (that means it's a 10 time golden jubilee), the previous record was 275 weeks and was held by SHOLAY (another forever classic). All I can say is you must watch this movie, because "After Raj met Simran, love wasn't the same...come fall in love all over again".
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge: A Commentary
omarhussaini27 December 2002
This was the top Bollywood film of the 90s and after seeing it I really can't think of one that was better. There are some that are just as good but I can't recall seeing one that's better. The story's pretty routine: boy meets girl in Europe, they fall in love, girl is engaged to some other idiot, and the rest writes itself... Sound familiar? Well it wasn't back in '95 (or even if it was it wasn't done as well) and Aditya Chopra's treatment of the story was a big reason for it's success. In every other movie the couple first wants to kill each other before falling in love. But in this movie it's slightly different and more plausible. Shahrukh doesn't want to kill Kahol - I mean Kajol - and she doesn't really hate him either, she just (like the rest of us) is annoyed by the guy. Their situations aren't that far-fetched and their Europe storyline is played out quite realistically (of course the piano scene is an exception). This was the beginning of the "Shahrukh plays Shahrukh era" and, for what it's worth, he hasn't made a better movie or given a better performance since. Sure there are places where he overacts but there are just as many places where he's able to hit all his cues. His comic timing was never better and there was still some sincerity in his eyes, a reminder of the fact that he was still an actor, which has since been replaced by the cockiness of a megastar. This is the movie that shot him to superstardom and put him alongside Aamir and Salman. Kajol is just as good (if not better), and I think after their next movie they'll win the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. The supporting cast is fine although no one really stands out. There are many moments in the film, most notably in the script, where you might feel a sense of deja vu. But keep in mind that this was the original, it's everything else that's a rehash. Bollywood headed straight for the sewer after this movie with almost all films, many of them starring Shahrukh, copying the same formula. Even at its 3 hour length the movie never drags till after the two-hour mark. I also want to comment on the film's Art Direction because it warrants a mention. Whether it's in Europe, England, or India, the movie has a very natural look to it. Unlike today's big films like Dil To Pagal Hai, or K3G, this movie looks good without trying to look good and I think that's a quality that's been lost on today's films. Too much attention is spent on the look at the expense of the story (if there is one!). The soundtrack of course is a classic, truly one of the all-time bests, with almost every song being a hit. The film won an unprecedented number of awards while breaking many records. There was a feeling that Aditya would follow in his father Yash's footsteps but regrettably the pressure got to him. He followed this up with the dreadful Mohabbatein which was slammed by audiences and critics alike. But so what. His first film was good, and with the current state of Bollywood movies - Devdas anyone? - you really can't get better than this.
41 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The beauty of mainstream Hindi cinema
Peter Young7 July 2009
Aditya Chopra's Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is a superb example of the genius of Hindi commercial cinema. If you see it, you'll get that it's not very different as a love story. It is even ordinary. But it becomes special for many reasons. First and foremost, for its fresh, naive spirit. Secondly, the many paradoxes it contains: it is powerful yet subtle, larger-than-life yet simple, funny yet sad, magical yet realistic, and so on. Thirdly, it is one of the first films portraying Indians who live outside their country (in this case, London). It also shows the yearning of the first-generation NRIs who live far away from their homeland and for many reasons find it difficult to come back. Yet, the film remains mainly a poignant, melancholic romance.

Raj and Simran, the characters played by Shahrukh Khan and Kajol represent the last generation of youngsters who were innocent and naive. They were much more simple, respectful and full of life. Such people almost no longer exist nowadays. The film relates their love story in a rather mesmerising way. Every scene is important. There are many great moments in the film. Raj and Simran's entire acquaintance and interaction in the first half is charming. Their separation at the end of the first half, when both make each other understand of their true feelings without explicitly admitting it, is moving. The traditional wedding preparations in the second half are well-made; the values they show, Raj's attempts to conquer Simran's father, and the couple's deepening relationship are interesting. The only thing I regretted was the typical fight scene towards the end.

Shahrukh Khan and Kajol, who undoubtedly form a great film couple, are both excellent in their roles. They act from the heart, and ably bring their characters to life. Shahrukh Khan is incredible as Raj, a modern guy who understands the value of family and marriage, and yet he has the look of a careless fool who does not take anything seriously. Khan acts with great ease, wit and humour, and his inner fear of losing his beloved is always understood. Kajol as the dreamy and poetic yet intransigent and smart Simran is exceptional, and she looks very hot throughout. Amrish Puri and Farida Jalal as Simran's parents provide great support. Amrish Puri is particularly impressive as the strict but soft-hearted father, and Jalal is touching as the woman who has lived life according to terms and does not want the same to happen to her daughter. Anupam Kher is funny and entertaining as Raj's father.

The film's soundtrack is outstanding and is clearly one of the main reasons this film works so well and is unforgettable today. The music is very well identified with the film and its story. Just try to imagine you would be given to watch the movie with the songs edited out. You wouldn't want to, right? That's because every song is a gem and is as important as every other scene. Every song comes in the right place and is sung and pictured exceptionally well. The one closest to my heart is "Ho Gaya Hai Tujhko", for its beautiful melody and very melancholic feel, which is aided by its blend of fantasy and reality on-screen. It is performed to perfection by Lata Mangeshkar and Udit Narayan. DDLJ is a film that should not be missed by anyone. It is one of the great gifts of Yash Chopra and his banner. It is a milestone of Indian cinema for its ability to inject fresh and magical energies into a banal love story, and for making it classically memorable.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God, I love this movie.
Calliegrl034 January 2005
I recently took a class about India in college and towards the end of the semester, we watched a few clips from some Bollywood and Tamil movies. I was very moved and inspired by the clips alone! Then, I told my friend (who happens to be Indian) from my work study job invited to an "Indian Movie Night" at her dorm. We watched K3G and I was so touched by it! It was simply wonderful. Most of all, I became a SRK and Kajol fan. Their on-screen chemistry is remarkable! I can't explain it! Anyhoo, I asked my mom for some Bollywood movies for Christmas and one of the movies I got was DDLJ. And let me tell ya'll, it is now my favorite movie of all time. SRK and Kajol shine beyond reason in this flick. The script is excellent, everything is excellent especially the acting and memorable songs! The supporting cast (most notably Simran parents, sister and Raj's dad were figging awesome!) Mr. Amish (sic) Puri, who played Kajol's dad acts wonderfully with just his eyes! One of the funniest lines in the movie is when Raj's friend walks into Simran's dad store and says "Uncle, can I have some beer?!" Gosh, it's the way that cat said the line that made it so FUNNY! After watching it again yesterday, I realized that I love so many Hollywood movies (particularly classic ones) and yet I couldn't state my all time favorite one. But while watching the making of DDLJ (I own the special edition version with two DVD's inside), I became rather teary eyed. I mean, I'm getting teary eyed writing this review at this moment! This film touched not only my heart, but my soul as well. They are so many underlying messages in DDLJ that can strike a cord in a non-Indian's (like me, I'm Nigerian American) soul. In end, I hope people who read this will buy DDLJ, (Renting will be useless, because you'll want to watch it over and over again...) love this priceless gem of a movie, and this goes out to the girls, wanna "come...fall in love" with a cool, crazy, sexy guy like Raj!

PS- THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good romantic comedy
Thomas Diemer12 November 2005
I usually go for Bollywood films for the music-dance numbers. While this flick has a few good ones, I was mostly pleased with the plot. I liked the second half the best. I was very disappointed to learn from IMDb that this is the second of only two films done by Pooja Rupanel. She brought a lot of life and spark to a minor role - the female lead's younger sister. She should have done more films. Like any really good comedy, the story had its serious aspects - just enough to make the plot interesting. The stand=by Bollywood love triangle plot can be used as many times as one wishes as long as one has good actors, terrific musical numbers, and a few novel plot twists.
40 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What an awesome movie!
jENNA00729 October 2001
I'm sooo in love with this movie. Its way better than Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or any other Hindi film or ANY film in general that I've ever seen! It's that good! I just want to recommend this to everyone ESPECIALLY if your a Shah Ruhk Khan/Kajol fan, they are awesome together. The whole supporting cast does a great job too- Put together with the beautiful direction of Aditya Chopra they turn a simple storyline of uncliched love into a heartfelt movie you can watch over and over again. Oh, and did I mention the songs rock too!
45 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Classic
tiger90011 January 2005
Going to the theatre to watch this movie was supposed to be my 'punishment' (for doing what, I can't remember), but let me tell you, this was the best punishment of my life.

This movie was fantastic! I found it groundbreaking in that it solidly addressed the doublestandards and idiocy that tend to pervade in the minds of a lot of Indian parents. It was definitely an anti-arranged marriage film, which was a plus.

I still watch this movie from time to time, and I have to tell you I thoroughly enjoy it, every time. The songs are great, the actors are great, and the dialogue is pleasing.

A timeless classic, that will probably never be repeated.

9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I have no words.....
shailajarindani20059 April 2008
My ever favorite movie.Man i can watch this movie no matter what.I have the tendency to leave all my work just to see this movie.After watching this one i fell in love with Shahrukh.Even today he is just too sweet as a lover and well he is too sweet in any role.:-D..... Anyways where the movie is concerned there can't be anything so sweet and simple as the love shown between the two leads.When this movie completed 500 weeks i actually went and saw it all over again in the hall just to relive the charisma and magic of the movie and the feeling of the true love and romance that this movie generates and one on which i have grown up.The caption 'Come.....fall in love' seems to be made for this movie as as many times as u watch it you will fall in love again and again not just with the movie or shahrukh or the chemistry of the lead pair but also with the very emotion called LOVE!!!!!!!

Now about the movie....well i won't be doing justice if i name anyone mind-blowing scene as all of them are just too good.But still one scene does no matter what remain my fave is the one towards the end of the Europe trip where Shahrukh and Kajol are standing on the bridge where he questions her what if you would have fallen in love with someone on this trip,say for example me,then also will you still go and get married.On this kajol just stares and him and when he just laughs and says i was joking.She just gives him an exasperated look and walks away.He just stands there and chants...Palat,Palat,willing her to turn around and look at him if she loves him.The moment she looks back at him as she is boarding the train he just jumps up with true unadulterated joy of a man truly in love.The thing that pulls at my heart string is the very innocence of the feelings portrayed by the two of them.

Well i can keep raving about this movie all day so closing on the note that its a must watch for all those who are in love.believe in it or have ever loved anyone.You will find a part of your love story shown in some or the other scene of the movie......

COME.......FALL IN LOVE!!!!!!!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely gorgeous
AmidalaSkywalker19 August 2005
This movie is one of my alltime favourites! The plot although not new is perfect, which is probably why it has been used so many times. Raj and Simran fall in love while touring through Europe and when they get home, Simran is supposed to be married off to India. What I love so much about Bollywood, is all in here. First of all, Shahrukh Khan and Kajol are the perfect couple. They interact so well, everything fits. Second, The music is so great, I played the DVD a week or so until I got the CD. Third, we first see the cultural environment of London and Europe, which is contrasted very nice against India with all the fantastic colourful clothing. Fourth nice story components and Dialugues. The only reason for me not to give full 10 stars, is because off the dreadful late 80ies clothes (obviously the 80ties in India lastet deep into the nineties and because I want to spare a star for Khabi Khushi Khabi Gham, which is in my opinion still the best Hindi movie ever.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First mainstream Bollywood film
scenario16 August 2006
I'm not going to get too much into reviewing the story of this movie, most of the other reviews are covering that for you. Honestly I don't remember too much the story that well anyways beyond the basics. Besides this is a Bollywood film, you know the melodramatic story of a boy and girl who fall in love against their parents wishes. I'll stick to a more cultural commentary. I remember 1995's Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge being a good movie that dealt with second generation Indians living in England. This was a funny film that struck a chord with younger Indians living in Western countries around the world, and it was an obvious smash hit in India as well.

Let me say that every country in the world has something "cool" or "bad ass" about it. But India has often had the most uncool, nerdy stereotypes about it. When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s, most of the representation of Indians in Western culture was limited to Apu from The Simpsons. Taxi drivers, convenience store clerks, curry, cow worshipers, more curry, thick English accents, effeminate men and hairy women,... nothing here was ever cool (these stereotypes are still here, yet are finally changing, albeit slowly). What kind of crazy kid wanted to be Indian? If I could have gotten away with passing myself off as a Mexican, I probably would have tried it. But then there was Bollywood, showcasing the beautiful people of India that could dance and sing just as good as anyone on MTV. This was the cool side to India. It made India look beautiful, exotic, young, hip and cultured. One of the biggest audiences for Bollywood flicks outside of India had traditionally been Indian girls. Older audiences obviously watched too, but young Indian women growing up in America have always been keen to Bollywood, many years before the arrival of DDLJ. Bollywood models, gharba dances, since as long as I can remember Indian girls immediately zeroed in on knowing that Bollywood was a cool piece of Indian pop culture that non-Indians didn't have access too or couldn't immediately claim as "theirs". Instead of being impenetrably "foreign", this industry made India look much more "exotic". I suppose it's the better balance to all those National Geographic specials that showed nomads in India eating the most disgusting things imaginable. Like all Indian movies, Bollywood flicks are overacted with dumb plots and idiotic fight scenes, but it involves outrageously beautiful people dancing and singing and that's always going to be cool. Beautiful people can make almost anything look cool. If Apu from The Simpsons has an arranged marriage then from the Western point of view it may look backward, cruel and dorky. If Aishwarya Rai or Hrithik Roshan has an arranged marriage, then it seems much more exotic and cultured,...hey maybe there's something to the concept. Beautiful or well accomplished people can turn previously weirdo things about a country into something cooler then it used to be perceived as. People are damn superficial aren't they? (Bollywood stars all being so fair skinned is a topic for another time) But DDLJ had a cross over appeal that didn't just include Indian girls. It was the first film that I remember being "big" amongst Indians. When I say it was "mainstream" I don't really mean that it fully crossed over into non-Indian audiences (though I know it did), but rather this is was the first Bollywood movie that I remember that was widely talked about and had immense appeal among many different types of Indian American audiences.

Before the release of this film, Bollywood movies seemed to exist in their own little niche of loyal cult followers (usually young Indian women). Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge broke some of the rules and didn't just appeal to Indian girls who wished they could be in a Bollywood movie and marry some hunky fair skinned North Indian guy. No this film had an exposure to a broader audience that seemed to really put Bollywood on the map for Indians that grew up outside of India. Indian guys were into this film, yeah probably because Indian girls were into it, but it was big change from what was going on before. A movie about second generation Indians was automatically going to appeal to every Indian growing up in Europe, Canada, Australia and of course the U.S. This was newer territory and since then Bollywood films have increasingly become more youth targeted in their marketing campaigns. Despite plenty of moments of stupidity (I remember a ridiculous "Yeeeeeeaahhhhhhhh!!" yell by Raj during a game of rugby), this movie was the beginning of a small change in Indian culture. Indian exposure to non-Indians and the dispelling of stereotypes is still very much a work in progress and people are unlikely to mention DDLJ on history papers in the future, but it had a milestone effect in my opinion within the community. The overtly glitzy Hrithik Roshan stuff today in 2006 seems a bit more aimed at pre-teen girls (so it's gone even younger), but DDLJ was the most talked about film in the 90s. 11 years have gone by, Shahrukh Khan is nearly 41 years old, he's basically an "Uncle" today, a status a lot of Gen-X Indian Americans are creeping towards. Of course Bollywood is a silly representation of India, it's like someone in Mumbai watching Rambo and thinking that's America. But for a brief moment in the mid 90s, people were united in talking about this Hindi movie, regardless if they spoke Hindi, Tamil or Malayalam. The movie had a great cast and awesome dance numbers, along with a more humorous angle then previous flicks I had seen. Recommended.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
THE 1990's definition of the class Hindi film.
Rahul3 February 1999
If you are reading this review to see if the film is worth seeing, where have you been hiding for the last few years?

This film is brought from the stables of Yash Chopra. As you may have guessed it is a 3 way story. Raj (Shahrukh Khan) is a modern Indian guy living in London with his father, played by Anupam Kher. He decides to go on a Eurorail holiday with a couple of his friends and easily gets his rich father's approval. Simran (Kajol) also lives in London but is of much more traditional upbringing, in part due to her strict father (Amrish Puri). Her father starts to reckon that it is time for her to get married. She has no option but to agree. However, she asks her father for the chance to see Europe once with her friends and Amrish Puri is not keen on this at all. Much persuasion follows and reluctantly he agrees.

As luck would have it, Raj and Simran and both of their sets of friends end up on the same train and visiting the same places in Europe. At first she detests him. However, she eventually becomes stranded in a remote part of Switzerland with him. All their friends are in the next location. Time passes, songs are sung and lo and behold the two begin to fall in love.

The first part of the film ends as the two characters are back in London with their respective families. Amrish Puri overhears Simran talking about the events of the holiday and hits the roof. He packs the bags and takes his family back to the small village in Punjab where they come from. Raj is spurred on by Anupam Kher who says if something is worth having, he must chase after it.

The second part of the film consists of Raj trying to win the trust and confidence of Simran's Punjabi family. It consists of several excellent comedy and song scenes. I will leave you to guess what happens in the end.

This film does not really warrant superlatives. It is better than excellent. It is as near perfect as we are likely to ever see. Like I say, if you have not seen this film, where have you been? The soundtrack is classic. Everyone knows the words to "Tujhe dekha to yeh jaana sanam" and "Mehndi laga ke rakhna."

The performance of the actors is first class. This really is the film that took Shahrukh to superstardom. Kajol also gives an incredible performance. This is the role that really made her name and deservedly so. Anupam Kher does a top comedy role and all the other actors have put in a magnificent performance.

This really is a "feel-good" movie. If you have not seen it yet, make it your next priority to see the film. If you have, watch it again! This film, along with Hum Aapke Hain Kaun and more recently Kuch Kuch Hota Hai are the quintessential 1990's definition of excellent Hindi cinema. Take your family, as refreshingly, there is no sex, bad language or violence in any of the three films.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
AA A beautiful, brilliant film ever made, come fall in love over again
aambika sharma3 September 2006
I just loved this film. I have seen it many times but still it's very entertaining, and a great family film to watch. Great story and brilliant actors in it. I just love Shah Rukh Khan and he is the best in this film along with other as well. Kajol is looking great and performance is the best too. If you have missed out this film then that means you have not watched a film that you can never forget. Come fall in love with it all over again. By seeing this movie you can feel like that you also want to love Raj or Simran too. Movie just brilliant movie. I can't express so much words but I think its just the best romantic movie ever made in film history. It had won the largest amount of awards that any other film has got. Shah Rukh as best actor, Kajol as best actress. Adi as best director, Best Film of the year, best play back singer Udit. Best supporting male and supporting female. And so many other awards as well. I just say that don't miss this flick. I give it a 1000/1000.
1 of the best movie of all times
farsana30 November 2005
Dilwale dulhania Le jayenge is one of the bestest film in the world! Shah rukh khan is one of the main factor of the films great success, i absolutely loved it. It was hilarious and felt heart warming! I think everyone in the film did a great job. It made Shah rukh Khan rise to more fame as well as Kajol, because people wanted to see them act together more because of the chemistry between them. this movie and Devdas is a great credit to shahrukh khan, because you can see how Shah rukh khan has matured through acting. the best part of the film, is the fact that you see in other films where the lovers both want to runaway because the parents wont let them be together, whereas this film suggests that running away doesn't solve the problem. the other factor makes the film better is the fact that shahrukh khan himself went through the similar situation in 1994.
An Inspirational Masterpiece
DaleLawson_113 September 2005
This film is for anyone who has forgotten the meaning of life. It clearly demonstrates the power of love and its ability to move heaven and earth. This is much more than a movie. It is a gift for those whose hearts have been hurt, abused and misused. It is one of those rare occurrences where you can witness the real heart of Mother India in all her unobstructed glory. "Shahrukh Kahn", who plays Raj, is not merely an actor. He is the incarnation of one of those great Indian souls or teachers who is the embodiment of love. It is an incomparable privilege here to see him in his element. "Amrish Puri" is the quintessential Indian patriarch who is immovable in his dignity and beliefs. Beliefs that for him mean no less than the continuation of his Hindu ancestry. "Kajol", who plays Simran, is a true Indian princess. She will not disobey her father but she cannot ignore her heart or her love with Raj. I cannot praise "Aditya Chopra" enough for bringing this masterpiece to life. The direction is romantic, sweeping you up with every scene. You do not feel you are watching a film as much as experiencing a whirlwind. I must also mention that the music is true joy and inspiration and is essential to the whole package. The title song is magnificent. Thank you "Jatin-Lalit." This film will make you feel like you have not felt in a long time. See this movie and live again.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Most romantic movie i have ever watched....
metallic_kk24 March 2008
I am writing this review after watching the movie more than 5 times. The movie have very fine music, great presentation , very romantic story and so nice on screen chemistry between Shahruk and Kajole. Its a movie after which one want to fall in love. I think for Indian audiences the name of the movie is enough. I don't remember any movie in this genre to commensurate with this one. This movie comes out to be all time hit. So if you are feeling like to watch some musical drama, go for it again and again. One can also watch maine pyar kiya, jab we met, socha na tha etc for similar entertainment. I liked the acting of Mandira too. The way she falls for shahruk. The way she sees her faster heartthrobs.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the biggest hit of Indian cinema
saarajahan27 August 2006
this movie is related to Indian culture although its based on NRI's. in first half Shahrukh(Raj) falls in love with Simran(Kajol) and in second half he makes the successful attempt to take away Simran as his bride by doing all things right. he had a easier option of taking away Simran without consent of her family but he chose the difficult way of proving himself the right person for her. the music of the movie is splendid and story is perfect. i don't have any more comments for this movie as the fact proves itself its simply THE BIGGEST hit of Indian movie industry till date. if you are an Indian then only you can appreciate this however it will make sense to others also..
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great, fun, bubbly movie!
bogartsthebest6 June 2006
It's like this: Dilwale is no Battleship Potemkin, as my Indian friend who hates Bollywood pointed out to me when I said I preferred to analyse DDLJ than BP for our Analyzing Film exam but, then again, Dilwale is not trying to be.

The reason why the movie is great and one of the best I've seen is because it's silly and simple, yes, but also tremendous fun! The songs and dances are truly amazing and, unlike some people believe, the characterisation has depth. I should know because I had to discuss the different distinctive traits that make up all the characters in DDLJ in my exam and people would be surprised at just how layered and complex they are, if they took the time to pay attention (if you don't believe me, read the BFI book on the movie).

Also, the picture has no pretentiousness: unlike Devdas, which was so melodramatic I'm surprised the whole cast didn't die from the agony of having to act in such an overrated and over the top Romeo and Juliet ripoff (people scream all the time especially Aishwarya Rai who is the most hysterical of them all), DDLJ succeeds exactly because it's happy just giving us a magical young love story, which we could all relate to anyway but which is made even better because of the 1st rate performances given by everyone involved.

Kudos to Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol (my two favourite Bollywood actors), for creating such an intense, believable yet innocent and pure chemistry that made their love scenes just so sweet, beautiful and really heart-felt to watch.

I'm not saying that just because we are capable of enjoying this movie, we aren't capable of enjoying something more intellectual and political like Battleship Potemkin.

But it's nice to watch a movie once in a while that is not depressing nor always giving us extreme scenes of violence and sex with which Hollywood seems to be obsessed with.

Nowadays movies just seem to feature people who think life is not worth living, are always suicidal and spend their time doing sex and drugs. Maybe these sort of characters should be pitied or something but, frankly, they're beginning to bore me. I've seen enough movies featuring these sort of personages to last me a lifetime. Give me a character who's happy with life and not afraid to have fun anytime!

Much like the celebrated Singin' In The Rain, DDLJ is fun, leaves you feeling elated, has funny dialogue and you can feel the love that everybody involved felt about the production, which increases the quality of the picture!
Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
asif-evolved24 May 2006
DDLY was one of my first Hindi movies I have seen, and from the beginning I was in love with it. It really touched me by its love, simplicity and warmth. After DDLY I have seen many Hindi movies (still loving them very much), but none of them were as well as DDLY, and I really think that the movie is Shahrukhs and Kajols best performances. Their best scene together is I think the scene after the song "Zarasa Jhoom Loon Main" when Kajol find herself in a bed wearing Shahrukhs shirt and with his cloth on the bed. Then she asks him what happened last night, and off course he makes a joke that something happened. But just then you see his magic when he tries to comfort Kajol by saying: "I know what you think of me, you think I'm a wastrel. But I'm no scum, I'm a Hindustani, and I know what honor means for a Hindi woman, and I would never even imagine that doing with you in my dreams" A great line, that clearly says how Shahrukh is.
feel good movie
jarfsu11 April 2006
There is one scene in the movie when the song "Najane Mere Dil Ko Kya" begins, and the camera is focused on simran, and as she walks out the train station she turns back and longingly looks for some sort of answer. This is the type of thing great movies are made of. Dilwale Dulhania is a feel good movie based upon a very cliché plot, but somehow the originality of the actors set this movie far apart from the rest. It was the scene at the train station in London when you realize the acting is so convincing that you forget you're watching an actor and completely submerse yourself in the character. Shahruck khan may be the leading man in bollywood today, but kajol in this movie definitely stole the thunder from right under his nose. This is when you realize that although bollywood can mass produce movies every year, the ones that one should look forward too, are the ones where the leading actors have the most convincing chemistry. since kajols marriage, she had taken a hiatus from movies, and shahrukh khan had to make these epic love stories with other actresses, such as preity zinta and rani mukherjee. but the fact remains that not one single pair in bollywood history will ever compare to the pair of shahrukh khan and kajol, there movies will go down in history as being the very epitome of bollywood.