IMDb > Dangerous Minds (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dangerous Minds

Dangerous Minds More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Good, but too full of stereotypes

Author: Dr Richard Abbott from Cardiff, Wales
30 November 1998

Good, but too full of stereotypes was my summary and I stand by that.

Though not a teacher myself I feel that to portray the idea that all bad kids need is a good teacher is a dangerous one. All the world's problems, (or those in a class) cannot be solved by a single teacher no matter how good.

This film reinforces the steroetype that good teachers work miracles, when all they do is teach well. (Not that this should be underestimated). Having said that the idea of a young and hopeful tacher failing and having a nervous breakdown wouldn't make a good film.

Inspiring in the same way that 'The Longest Day' is inspiring, realistic in the same way that 'The Longest Day' is to 'Saving Private Ryan'

Good Movie!

Author: anonymous from Rhinebeck, NY
30 June 1999

Dangerous Minds was surprisingly good. I recommend it to an older crowd. I just wished urban high schools had a teacher like Michelle Pfeiffer.

Ah, but WHICH minds are dangerous?

Author: John from New Mexico, USA
4 April 2004

Living in a gangster's paradise? The question becomes to identify the god of this 'paradise'.

Michele Pfeiffer does an adequate, not great, job of portraying a tough teacher. Okay, maybe a little less than believable, but like I said, not great but good. The kids are the true heroes of this movie, filling the screen with the emotions one might expect in such a horrid environment. This is education?

And so as the movie progresses, the bad guys win (of course). There is no happy ending and anyone expecting one clearly thought that the movie would be a science fiction theme rather than drama. In fact, it's not really true that the bad guys win ... no one wins.

But as I walked out of the movies, I found myself feeling that I had 'discovered' who truly possessed the 'dangerous minds'. The movie leads you to think it's the kids - drugged up, carrying guns, street shootings - but the real danger lies in the minds of those in control, the unbending uncompromising minds that refuse to allow anyone to succeed in any other way than via their own rules.

Hence in the end, the dangerous minds prevail.

Only for Michelle

Author: Angeneer from Athens, Greece
7 March 2000

This is one of those movies I call pseudo-cool. Teenxploitation to the max. A nice rap/hip-hop soundtrack, appealing young characters and premises familiar to every kid (school, what else). If you see the voters breakdown you will see where this film was targeted. Apart from this we have Michelle Pfeiffer, a woman who can embellish a mediocrity just by being there. She didn't even have to act (not that she cannot act, it wasn't a demanding role). It's a superficial film, but I guess there are times you'd want to watch just this.

Same old tired formula of tough kids in a tough school...yawn

Author: dwissba from Milwaukee/ United States
26 October 2009

This film could not have been any worse if they tried. We have seen these types of films before when a teacher or principle goes into a school that is filled with tough kids and by the end they all love the teacher. Dangerous Minds may be based on a true story but it is not an original idea and certainly not worthy of being made into a movie. OK so a teacher by the name of Louanne Johnson played by Michelle Pfeiffer inspires kids to learn and love poetry by having them listen to Bob Dylan songs. Big deal. Think of all the great teachers out there that reached trouble kids by some creative means. What about their story's? Aside from that Michelle Pfeiffer is mis-cast as some ex-Marine. She does not pull off the part and is less than convincing. The film makers also are deceptive in their telling the story of Louanne Johnson. She never used Bob Dlyan songs to teach her class but rather rap music. I guess the film makers felt rap might offend the audience. Do a little research on this teacher and see for yourself.

A very bad film...

The song "Gangster's Paradise" is more popular than this movie, I can see why

Author: lisacamillek-1 from Switzerland
2 July 2008

I expected it to be the same kind of storyline as Freedom Writers and The Ron Clark Story. It was pretty much like that, except it was a little cheesy. Like the real-life characters Erin Gruwell (Hilary Swank in F.W) and Ron Clark (Matthew Perry), Lou Anne Johnson doesn't give up on her students, but she sometimes doesn't try hard enough. However, she is basically the only person in her students lives who really cares about them. Everyone else just doesn't seem to give a sh*t. The principle of the school cares more about the respect of his f*cking office than his students. (Spoiler Noted) It doesn't matter if a boy is asking for help when he is in trouble, the principle just sent Antonio away, to his death. Which probably made Lou Anne want to quit. The only thing that kept her there were her students, pleading for her to stay. The song of the movie, Gangster's Paradise by Coolio, was very well received. Everybody loves it, even my mother! But in the end, the film wasn't that good. I gave it 4/10 on the vote.

Blackboard Jungle with candy thrown in to measure

Author: Thomas Honoré Nielsen from Varde, Denmark
25 May 1999

I feel cheated when I am lured into watching a movie I have already seen. Whether Blackboard Jungle is better than Dangerous Minds can be argued; they both have their flaws. I merely hate to pay for something which is so blatantly copied from another movie. The scripts are almost identical except for the candy bars.

On the plus side, I must say that having the principal work for the discipline (and fail) rather than having the teachers discuss it pointlessly as they did in Blackboard Jungle, was a lot more effective.

They gave me Candy......

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
21 May 2012

Louanne Johnson is an ex-marine, hired as a teacher in a high-school in a poor area of the city.

She has recently separated from her husband. Her friend, also teacher in the school, got the temporary job for her.

After a terrible reception from the students, she tries unconventional methods of teaching (using karate, Bob Dylan lyrics etc) to gain the trust of the students.

And guess what? it works!! In a non-patronising way to the audience..

It's been sixteen years since this film was released here in England, and it was a movie I always resisted in seeing. Mainly because it got so much coverage thanks to that awful song, but it never really appealed to me.

Seeing it for the first time last week, I now know why. It's a pitiful movie, cashing in on success of Boyz n the Hood, and high school movies, but with the Bruckheimer and Simpson sheen.

It just doesn't work. For one thing the class look almost as old as Pfeiffer, and they warm to her way too soon. Secondl, she goes out of her way to look after these 'kids'. it's as if Edward James Olmos and Morgan Freeman are giving her motivation throughout.

Pfeiffer is trying to down play her beauty, wearing a leather jacket and eating junk in every scene, but she doesn't convince.

There is nothing new to see, it's just another bad class with hearts of gold movie, and they are tiresome.

See 187 instead, that is a movie.

Why Did Michelle Do This Film?

Author: Ices-3 from United States
24 July 2008

She was miss-cast.

The message of the film was already made clear in the 1967 Hit move: To Sir With Love. And don't forget, it had a Hit song.

Sidney Poitier was already the right man for the job. It was done right--back then. No one can or could have done it better.

Sidney Poitier was also one of the students in the Hit Film: The Black Board Jungle, back in the 1950's which gave him the acting worthiness to now play the teacher.

However, the audience already rated this film, and so it stands. Michelle is such a wonderful actress; she deserves much better roles (example: What Lies Beneath w/Harrison Ford or Wolf w/Jack Nicholson). It's hard to believe she accepted this one.

dangerous because there have been better movies

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
1 May 2006

Another movie about an honest white teacher fixing a bunch of black ghetto teenagers. "To Sir, with Love" did a much better job with this topic, and both Michelle Pfeiffer and George Dzundza have had far superior roles than "Dangerous Minds". Personally, I would like to see a movie in which a black person from the ghetto teaches rich white kids how to live like ghetto people. Yeah, sort of like how Steve Martin looked in "Bringing Down the House". But my point is that there are much better movies out there, so don't make this your first choice.

I just wonder, what was the last good movie starring Michelle Pfeiffer? I know that she's had good roles, but when was the last time?

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]