IMDb > Dangerous Minds (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

white savior teacher

Author: SnoopyStyle
8 November 2015

LouAnne Johnson (Michelle Pfeiffer) is a marine getting a divorce from her abusive husband. Her friend Hal Griffith (George Dzundza) gets her a job at his high school. She's shocked to find her class full of problem kids bused in from the poor part of the city. Principal Grandey is uncaring and insists on people knock on his door. Emilio Ramírez is the most problematic student. Callie Roberts is the smart one. LouAnne tries to help Raúl Sanchero as well as her other students. She uses karate, Bob Dylan, rewards and poetry to get to her kids.

This is another one of those cliché white savior teacher genre. I don't have any complaints about Pfeiffer or any of the kids' acting. I really like Renoly Santiago and Bruklin Harris. The main problem is the simplistic ideas being presented. The story isn't the most compelling. I am glad that LouAnne doesn't fall in love with another teacher. Her friendship with Hal is quite refreshing. It's too bad that the movie trots out all the old standards without adding anything new.

Perfect example of a true leader

Author: Marius Uldukis
23 May 2015

The movie might be simplistic at first sight it's a woman who was a marine and now she decided to teach kids. Little did she knew those kids were trouble makers, but she finds a way to cope with them, and that's a whole movie in a nutshell.

But there's more than meets the eye. I know exactly what leader is, and this movie is one of the best examples of great leaders. She tries to convince these kids that it's important to study and succeeds. That would be the main objective, but she does more than that, she engages their problems and tries to solve them. She stands up to them in front of authority and tries to understand them. She takes her own money to pay everyone to go on a funfair, she trusted her own money with that Mexican kid, she tries to save a kids life (which most of the teachers would've let it slip, by simply not listening, in fact they did just that, and because of that the kid was shot). In other words she puts these kids as her main priority, even higher than herself. And that is the description of perfect leader. When she first came into class these kids were like a separate sticks, she tied them up and made them strong. The ending shows that very clearly: when these kids acted out all together as one to make her stay in that school (which they wouldn't have done for any other teacher). What these kids desperately needed was a good leader.

It's sad how low the score of this movie is. The acting was great, even today's movies has more acting flaws and fans let it easily slip. The soundtrack was well suited, camera work was good. In my opinion this movie is underrated. It definitely deserves higher score than 6.4. I guess most of us finds it cheesy? I don't know, the reason behind the score.

Simple-minded

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
26 May 2014

There are three types of movies that I am really growing weary of and they are (in descending order): The Cop Buddy Movie, The Slasher Movie (complete with iconic killer) and last but least The Inspirational Teacher Movie.

This last genre irritates me most because at least the other two genres are made under the impression that it is nothing but entertainment. The Inspirational Teacher Movie appalls me because by it's very definition it has a noble agenda while at the same time telling and retelling the same story from countless other movies while disguising it's intentions with the message that it is 'based on a true story'. It's even worse when it contains a hard working performance by a good actress.

'Dangerous Minds' comes with the 'true story' tag but looks, to me, like pure fantasy. Michelle Pfieffer plays LouAnne Johnson an ex-marine who gets a teaching job at The School From Hell, one of those inner-city prison schools where every student is a drug dealing malcontent. I mean no offense while making that statement but to my mind this is the kind of school that you really only find in the movies The standard first-day-of-class scene has her walking into a room full of troubled African-American and Hispanic students who huff at the idea of having a white woman teaching their class. But a one day and a few playful Karate kicks later she has curried their favor.

She uses whatever methods are possible to get these kids to learn even going so far as to offer then meal prizes and candy bars to get them to read. Soon she is trying to get them to find a connection between Bob Dylan and Dylan Thomas. I never made the connection but the kids did and never really let the audience in on what it was that they had learned.

The kids are the usual sort for this type of movie: troubled, gang-related and totally out of step with everything until they begin to learn about Bob Dylan *shrug*. The kids are so standard for The Inspirational Teacher Movie that I sort of started to count down to when one of the girls would end up pregnant.

Is there anything to salvage from 'Dangerous Minds'? Yes. Pfieffer who is a wonderful actress in the right roles gives the movie more then it deserves but is forced to settle on dialogue that is of no help. I kept wishing that the kicks that she delivers to get the student's attention would have been in her dialogue.

Not a bad movie, but...

Author: dOti5 from United States
12 August 2006

OK, if you have not seen this movie, and you like the genre, you'll like this movie. Pretty realistic inner-city kids, dark and nearly out of control school, pretty teacher.

Careful - my sort of spoiler - This is To Sir With Love in modern America.

But, it is good, so go ahead and watch it. The dynamics are well done, and the restaurant scene is worth watching if only for the look on the waiters face.

Of course, it is rather formulamatic - how could it not be? There are good points, even if you are not an inner-city kid with a limited future and a hard life.

We all could take the point that we are not victims, rather, we have the choice to do whatever it is we do. And we ARE choosing to do what we do, whether or not we do it consciously.

A good movie ... but the end made me mad

Author: davidwarner_za from South Africa
14 April 2006

A fantastic movie, a bit clichéd for today's times but quite breakthrough in 1995. Well acted, well written, funny at times, serious at other times. Altogether well balanced.

Except the end. I mean, seriously ... what happened at the end??? I know that she left for her "reasons" but it is never actually clear what her reasons are. Is she leaving because she's upset at Emilio's death? Is she upset at the 'system' and it's lack of flexibility? Is she bored with helping these kids?? I don't actually know! The ending seems way too sudden, as if the producers ran out of money and had to finish the film by the end of the day. The movie took the perfect amount of time getting itself introduced. The pace was good, until Emilio's death. I don't know ... the ending left me thinking "Well, why is she so special? She hasn't actually DONE anything except bribe these kids with candy bars and roller-coaster rides!" Overall the message is good, and the storyline is fine. The movie is shot nicely and it works well enough for me. It was entertaining. But it left me wondering exactly why she even bothered trying to educate these kids in the first place if she was so willing to just leave them just at a time when they were starting to appreciate her message!

Soap Opera With Students From The Ghetto

Author: Asxetos from Greece
28 September 2010

Plot: A teacher gets a job in a certain high school and hopelessly tries to help a class full of poor students do something with their lives, while they try to survive the streets they were born onto.

You'll love Dangerous Minds if: You don't ask too much out of a movie like this and of course if you like Michelle Pfeiffer… it's a movie about a teacher that struggles to teach students that come from broken homes and that are more streetwise than she can handle. You might cry with the lives of the kids and you might get angry with the indifference of the teachers but don't expect too much. While not a fan of Michelle I gotta agree that see does a good job in here although her character is a bit TOO sensitive for an ex-marine.

You'll hate Dangerous Minds if: You want realism or if you hate soap operas. That's right… soap operas. Dangerous Minds feels like a long episode of a soap opera. Logic and realism are almost non-existent. The first day the teacher enters the class the students almost ate her and some days later they were all behaving themselves, answering vocabulary questions while the teacher was throwing candy bars at them, ("good boy!!!", "Woof!"). The movie's concept is good, the execution is the problem. The kids will make you feel sad about their desperate struggle to cope up with their lives but the way the teacher connects with them leaves something to be desired…

FINAL VERDICT: Won't Change Your Life (3.7/10)

[+] Decent acting. You might shed a tear at times.

[-] Good concept, bad execution. Not as dark as it should be in my opinion. Too much like a soap opera episode.

Also Check: Dead Poets Society (1989) – Good Will Hunting (1997) - Stand And Deliver – Up The Down Staircase (1967)

P.S.: My purpose in all my IMDb Reviews is not to say "I like\don't like this movie" but to help you decide whether YOU will like it or not since everything is all about taste and expectations IMO...

A horrible movie adaptation of a great book

Author: PL1981 from Australia
26 May 2009

Having read "My Posse Don't Do Homework" and having thoroughly enjoyed this heartwarming and profoundly moving autobiographical tale from LouAnne Johnson, I had high hopes and expectations for this movie. Sadly, it proved to be a prime example of a wasted opportunity for a really good solid movie.

Having apparently decided that the book isn't interesting enough, the producers of this movie added several twists and turns to this movie that were pointless, unnecessary and irritating. They would have been better off just sticking to the original contents of the book rather than inserting their own Hollywood fiction in -the strength of the book in all its original form was solid enough to provide the foundations for a strong and heartwarming movie Michelle Pfeiffer gives a dull and uninspiring performance but, to be fair, she hasn't got a good script to work with. I really pity the actors and actresses who signed up for this movie -they clearly have so much talent and potential but are given such a bad storyline and script to work with that it is all wasted

If you want to see an excellent movie with the same type of plot and storyline, watch "To Sir With Love" or "Dead Poets Society" They do it so much better. Avoid this one like the plague

Utterly Dreadful, Do not even think about seeing

Author: charliemanson999 from United Kingdom
24 October 2009

Cheesy Cringe-worthy Punch-in-the-face-worthy soppy acting from Michelle Pfeiffer Stereotypes blown totally out of proportion Poor camera work Diabolical musical overlay Badly scripted Rushed feel No real closure

I cannot criticise this movie enough. While I was expecting a typically dark gangster/student-type movie, addressing the inner-city problems of troubled kids in poverty-stricken areas, and the interesting, inspiring attempts of an admirable teacher to get to the bottom of their various dysfunctions, what I instead got was something so cheesy it would have been better suited to Broadway, if they threw in some hastily written musical numbers.

For something (slightly) more realistic, see Coach Carter, but please, please, don't waste the 1 hr 30 mins I did on Dangerous Minds, the mis-titled waste of film roll that it is.

An excellent movie

Author: Malinen from Finland
9 February 2006

A very influencing movie. I've seen it about 4-5 times, once in a movie theater, once on TV and a couple of times on video and it still isn't boring. Actually, I could watch it again today... I can't imagine that anyone else would have been as good playing LouAnne Johnson as Michelle Pfeiffer was.And George Dzunza (I'm not sure how to write it..) is really good at his role too. The movie is very touching but still didn't make me weep...The lives of these troubled and misunderstood teens are being described very well and maybe that's one of the reasons that this movie made me stop and think. Everyone should see this movie at least once, preferably three times.

Outstanding biopic about one of the bravest teachers of all time

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
19 January 2006

Even though I haven't read the book, DANGEROUS MINDS, in my opinion, is an outstanding biopic about one of the bravest teachers of all time. The performances were smashing, the soundtrack was great, and the casting was just right. I especially loved the song, "Gangsta's Paradise," by Coolio. Anyway, if you ask me, it was brave of Louanne (Michelle Pfeiffer) to get her class to learn the way she did. I would probably do the same thing if I were in her shoes. In conclusion, if you are a die-hard fan of Michelle Pfeiffer, I heartily recommend this outstanding biopic about one of the bravest teachers of all time. You're in for a real treat and a good time, so don't miss this one.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]