IMDb > Casper (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Casper More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Author: desperateliving from Canada
11 November 2004

There's something enormously touching about this film and the way it deals with losses -- Pullman's wife and Casper's mother, in particular. And what's so clever about it is how it uses them as a tool of audience manipulation AND has the evil ghosts use Pullman in exactly the same way that we're being used. This is a smartly written screenplay. The story itself is pretty conventional and predictable: the loner girl gets teased by a popular girl (that nobody really likes) who's out to destroy her; the popular girl has a cute boyfriend that the loner girl has the hots for, etc. etc., story will resolve itself with everyone falling in love with loner girl.

I can't quite understand why this movie has such a low rating. The only explanation I can think of is that people prefer emotionally "safe" movies like "Toy Story" (of the same year) that are equally brilliant technically (and have as many references), but don't sacrifice coolness by showing sentimental, sad emotion. It's possible that the movie got marketed incorrectly. The film isn't about spooks; like one of those early, wonderful Tim Burton fantasies (this film also shares with them an outstanding score), the film deals -- quite movingly, I think -- with regaining that lost sense of childhood: that moment where Casper tries to remember being alive is just wrenching. And the scene relates just as profoundly to us: just as he can't remember being alive, we can't, really, remember being kids. I was ten when I first saw this, and it had an effect on me then (Ricci's description of sunny side-up eggs making her gag subconsciously made me avoid anything less than hard boiled for ten years); this is something that I really cherish as being part of my young emotional and visual education, and it stands up today.

I haven't seen the director's other films, so I have no idea whether this whole thing was a fluke or whether everything just settled in to my particular sensibility, but even outside of the emotion I think the technical aspects, the giant basement set, are enough to keep interest. And even outside of that, the acting is terrific. Cathy Moriarty is an absolute riot. 7/10

An all-time family favorite that's very touching!

Author: jdkraus from Maineville, Ohio
20 October 2004

Ever since i was six years of age, I've enjoyed this movie. It makes me laugh, cry, and excited! i am disappointed that so many people don't like this movie. it is an all-time favorite of mine. It is sad yes, but it has comic relief from the three uncles that try to be humanlike, Casper, the friendly ghost that knows what it is like to be lonely, for instance me, and same with Kat. I am very touched with this film, for it makes me think about me, lonely and depressed, but it has a positive ending which I really adored! i also liked the amazing effects, that were famous at its, time. Of course now, effects from movies are like The Matrix films and LOTR, but i mainly like this film, because it tocuhes my heart in a both sad and sometimes happy, knowing, someone else is out there for you, even if you are a bit...dead. 10/10

Seeing it is BOOlieving it!

Author: Leanne Littrell from Australia
10 April 2002

Who says there are no such things as ghosts? Not if there is the ghostly inhabitants of Whipstaff Manor in Friendship, Maine! This desolate mansion is then, in the words of one of the members of the Ghostly Trio of Whipstaff, 'intruded' by Kat Harvey (Christina Ricci) and her eccentric father Dr. James Harvey (Bill Pullman), a ghost therapist. Carrigan Crittenden (Cathy Moriarty) had hired Dr. Harvey to exorcise the ghosts, including Casper the friendly ghost and his three obnoxious uncles, Stretch, Fatso and Stinkie, aspiring to gain Whipstaff's 'buried gold'.

Intertwining humour, all-time fun and a modern Cinderella story, 'Casper' promises to please as a movie which is compelling, hilarious, captivating, heart-warming, witty and above all, truly 'fleshtastic'.

'Casper' is recommended for any audience, regardless of age. At the time I am submitting this review I am currently 17, turning 18, but 'Casper' still manages to appear endearing and ultimately special. The magic of Bill Pullman, Christina Ricci as well as that of director Brad Silberling, executive producer Steven Spielberg, and other producers weaves between each and every scene to eventually lift us off our feet. Above all, I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Casper is my all time favourite character. Truly fantastic. You won't BOOlieve it until you see it.

Great Movie With Various Perspectives

Author: snowravyn from California
14 June 2002

After reading the comments, I see most people enjoy this movie with a few picking it over nothing (e.g. not an accurate portrait of ghost?). I first saw the movie in my preteen. It was a fun & 'cute' movie, highly entertaining with the trio & treasure hunting & stuff.

As I grew older & revisit this movie, I see more 'layers' of the movie other than a 'kiddie ghost story'. Dr. Harvey (Bill Pullman, excellent as usual) is having a hard time dealing with the death of his wife, & Kat (Ricci, a great break from the cool-headed Wednesday Adams) is having a hard time adjusting her father's constant move as well as grieving her mother on her own. Then, there is Casper grieving his own death as well as his father's death. And then there is Carrigan's mourning her father... not leaving her all the riches. Then there is Casper's heroic act (go see the movie, it's one of the most touching moment), Dr. Harvey's reunion, etc. etc.

From a child's point of view, it's pure entertainment. From an art lover's point of view, you have to awe at the special effect & sets. From an audience seeking emotional outlet, well, bring in an extra box of kleenex. It's a very touching, warm-hearted, humorous, sweet little movie about a friendly ghost named Casper.

Just a side note, it is quite interesting to watch Addams' Family & Casper & Sleepy Hollow & see Christina Ricci grow from the eccentric Wednesday Addams to a regular teenager Kat Harvey to a beautiful young lady Katrina Van Tessel.

For adults too!

Author: Boyo-2
1 November 1999

Being 'middle-aged', I suppose I was not the target audience for this movie, but I love it very much anyway. Kiddies aside, this movie is hysterical, well-acted, and touching too. The effects are great and, to be honest, I can't find a lot to critcize here, which for me is all I can ask of a movie.

An outstanding technical achievement, and so much more!

Author: DarrylEvans2 from Wales, UK
29 January 2004

Casper is a beautifully made movie. It has great humor, excellent cast, an enchanting music score, spectacular special effects and a very touching story. This movie is a perfect family movie and certainly not targeted only for children.

Look out for some very amusing cameos (including Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson).

Full marks on this one!

often beautiful, often creepy, mostly wonderful, but . . .

Author: imbatman-2
1 November 2000

I don't view films as if I'm watching them as the intended audience; I watch them for myself. And that's why I found it odd at how engrossed I was when I watched this film for the first time at the age of eighteen. Aside from the great gothic flair of the mansion, two superbly placed cameos, and nice laughable black humour from the "trio," the film took off because of its emotional core. It's something that a youngster can really get into, but also anyone who finds it sad that a child can die. When Casper plays with his toys, I just wanted to start crying. This eternal child--lost and stuck in an age of mystery and wonder. And yet, he's smitten with a girl--he's starting to go through puberty. And it's just so sad . . . and beautiful.

And then there's the father, and his sway into the afterlife, his daughter's plight, her struggle with her wish to help Casper. It's all so simple and written for kids, but I was so engrossed by the romanticism of it all.

The villains mostly butt into the greatness of all of it, but you just have to grant that in a kid's picture. And now comes my but . . . in the end, when the mother does appear, she's supposed to be this amazing, angelic, deux es machinal, she floats through the stain glass window, her long hair flows around her, her gown flows all around her but--what the hell! why is her dress such a deep red!? she looks like satan! Oh well. Bad costume choice made a really bad moment. But mostly, I loved this film for it's good parts, despite the childishness of much of it.

Beautiful and emotional tale

Author: Imagen Ashyun from United States
29 August 2005

I remember seeing this movie as a kid, and I loved it even then. I was a fan to the Casper cartoons, and to me, this was a great movie. As a kid, it was just entertaining. Looking at it again as I am older, I now love this movie more than just because it's about my favorite friendly ghost. This movie does a good job clenching the issue of death and either letting it go and hang onto it as a ghost with unfinished business. The atmosphere, although often times comical (which is how it is with the cartoons too XD), has a really deep and emotional air to it, as we look at Dr. Harvey and Kat's loss at the wife/mother's death, as well as Casper's mourning for his life and loneliness as a ghost. The music itself is very beautiful, and the set gives a perfect background for both spooky and sentimental moments. If you're one who is looking for a good emotional ghost story, this is a great example, even though it was based on a cartoon. If you're looking for something comical, well, the three ghosts Stretch, Fatso, and Stinky are there to provide laughs, as they really do seem to be having a ball being floating ethereal beings capable of shifting themselves into horrific (and hilarious) shapes.

I don't remember much from the Casper cartoons, but it's not like you can totally base an entire movie on just those. The plots for the cartoons vary, and this movie could be counted as some sort of canon, I suppose. Either way, it does a good job capturing the lonely, friendly ghost that is Casper on the big screen (and TV set).

Go ahead and rent the movie; I'm looking forward to searching for a DVD for it so I can watch it again and again. I love it. I totally recommend this for everyone, kids and grownups alike.

No such thing as ghosts?

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
30 January 2006

I remember that when I watched 'Casper'in the movie theater I liked the story very much. Now,10 years later, I still enjoy this movie very much.

Carrigan is an ambitious and evil woman, and when her father dies, all she wants is her father's money,but the only thing she inherits is a big and old mansion. Angry, she throws her father's will in the fire, until she realizes that the will has tips to go into a hidden treasure. The problem is that the mansion is damned and full of ghosts. She contacts Dr.James Harvey,(Bill Pullman) a paranormal expert and a type of a''ghosts' Shrink'' to take the ghosts away from her mansion. James and his daughter Kat(Christina Ricci) stay living in the mansion, while Dr. James tries to have success in his work. Strech,Fatso and Stinkie are Casper's uncles and they are not friendly at all; they love to scare people and to treat Casper very badly. Kat an Casper becomes friends, since friendship is what they were searching the most . Casper tells Kat about how he died and she tells him about her mother, that also died and is one of the reasons why her father become a ghost's shrink. We also see that Kat hates to travel all the country because of her father's job and how she is far away from being one of the ''popular girls''.

One of the sweetest and cutest moments of this movie, is when Casper becomes a human and dances with Kat. It's sad and also very romantic. Sadly, Devon Sawa, the actor who played the human Casper doesn't look like that anymore.

so beautiful

Author: Melissa (owlsilverfeather) from New York
14 April 2002

I've owned this movie for 7 years now, but I was having a "kid" moment last night and after I watched SNL I put this on. Wow, it all came back to me how much I loved this movie.

Casper himself is played as a lot little boy, very real and unsure of himself at the age of 12. He falls in love with Kat in such an innocent way that it's touching. And when he says as she falls asleep, "Can I keep you?" I start to cry. His speech about his death would make a great short acting monolouge.

Kat is a smartass and highly intelligent, showing Christina Ricci as the funny, witty, and all-around cool actress she is. Her portrayal of Kat is reminisent of a similar movie that came earlier...Winona Rider as Lydia in "Beetlejuice" without the fascination with death.

Of course, Bill Pullman is great in whatever he does, but here you just wanna wrap the poor guy up in a hug. And his dynamic with the FANTASTIC Ghostly Trio pretty much makes most of the movie sparkle.

What could've been a sappy ending is done with such magic. A 17-year-old Devon Sawa in one of his first roles walks down the stairs and extends his hand to Kat with such perfect love and tenderness. And I cheer when the FINALLY kiss. He looks like such an angel.

All around, a great movie. Funny, romantic, the perfect blend of sappyness and sentimentality that MAKES for a tear-jerker ending. Great job!

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]