IMDb > Bushwhacked (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bushwhacked More at IMDbPro »

Stern is terrific

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
24 March 1999

Max Grabelski (Daniel Stern in full-on Home Alone mode) is a sleazy delivery man perpetually stuck in a 1970's time-warp (puh-lease tell me where I can get one of those shirts). He struts his way down the street to Bee Gees tunes and behaves like Disco Stu from The Simpsons. He's got a little con going on after working hours in which he delivers clandestine packages to some rich guy (a weak Anthony Heald) for big tips. He needs escapism and the mystery of the con makes him feel like a spy. Until that is, when Max is framed for murder and has to run for his life.

While trying to intercept the last in the series of suspicious packages (located in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest) in order to clear his name, Max is mistaken for a world famous Scout Leader and has to lead a bunch of adventure-hungry kids into the wilderness and shake off the pursuing FBI.

Daniel Stern's physical comedy is just plain hilarious and his comic timing is perfect. For anyone who liked him in Home Alone 1 and 2 you'll love him in this also. The kids are surprisingly not that annoying. Usually I hate kids in movies (Jurassic Park, Hook, The awful Von Trapp children) but they had enough character and laughs among them to make it okay.

I only ever had a problem with the ending. It was just too tame for a PG-13 rated movie. Instead of Gordy's far-fetched fall into the ravine I would have preferred that the entire balcony of the cabin to collapse and the bad guy fall to his death. Plus the bad guy is kind of weak, his accent is just plain odd and he has this strange sort of campness and not scariness about him. Too bad since Anthony Heald has played some true scumbags in his time.

These 2 complains aside Bushwhacked is great adventure movie with a lively score by Bill Conti (why is there no soundtrack CD?). It's probably best enjoyed in Spring/Summer and is perfect for the whole family. An admirable amount of laughs indeed.

The DVD is a godsend for anyone who had to suffer the terrible pan-and-scan video (like me), which half the picture missing. Now Bushwhacked is presented in full 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and it looks just fine. The sound is simple Dolby 2.0 but it's more than adequate. Extras are thin, consisting of just a Bushwhacked trailer (quite good) and couple of other Fox family movie trailers.

But for the price, Bushwhacked is a must, regardless of extras or not. Though this time I would I liked to have seen some.

Great acting by Daniel Stern

Author: ruskaret from Norway
2 September 2005

Daniel Stern as Max is the main character in this movie, and he's hilarious. One of the best acting performances I've ever seen.

There's also a very good storyline which is surprising for a movie of this type, and the scenery is great. The casting of characters has been well done - and the characters in this movie fit their roles as good as can be.

This movie is a classic in my mind, but after reading some of the other reviews, I see that unless you like Daniel Stern's act you're not going to like the movie either.

Anyway, I deeply recommend you see the movie. If you're like me, you'll love it, and if not, just turn it off after 5 minutes cause it's not gonna take more than that for you to make up your mind.

Mmmm...I love it

Author: fojin from Nesconset, NY
8 October 2002

This movie is absolutely amazing. Ever since I saw it in the theater in 1995, I was in love with it. I missed my opportunity to buy the video when it first came out, and made up for it when it was re-released, recently. This funny movie about a group of scouts, who kinda-get-kidnapped-but-not-really is sure to keep the whole fam laughing. Gotta love Daniel Stern, aka SPIDER! Simply, go RENT IT!

Great comedy!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
19 January 2005

Bushwacked is an excellent comedy film that stars Daniel Stern, Jon Polito, Brad Sullivan, Ann Dowd, Anthony Heald, and Tom Wood! The acting by all of these actors is very good. Stern is excellent in this film and Jon Polito also performs good. The action is really good and the beginning of the film is excellent. The movie is hilarious. I was laughing so much when I watched this film. The film is always exciting and the music is very good by Bill Conti. I noticed that Conto put a lot of his Masters of the Universe score and even a bit of John Willaims' Home Alone films music into his own score for this film. If you own the CDs and/or are familiar with the films then you will know what I mean. Watch Shakedown and compare it! If you like Daniel Stern, Jon Polito, Brad Sullivan, Tom Wood, and the rest of the cast I've mentioned above, exciting non-stop hilarious comedy films then I Strongly recommend this film!

Funny and enjoyable

Author: Matt-14 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
14 February 2000

Daniel Stern was hilarious in BUSHWHACKED. The acting was alright, but I loved the plot, and being a former Boy Scout, I liked that part too. The funniest part was with "The Birds and the Bees" (for those of you who have seen it you know what I mean). I liked how the plot twisted at the end and just thought this was a fun movie. If you're a former or current scout you may like it. So go see it. 7/10

Bushwhacked is a MUST see!

Author: nasher781 from United States
9 January 2005

Before I go on about Bushwhacked I must tell you: BUSHWHACKED IS VERY UNDERRATED! I don't know what people were expecting from the movie, but I got a lot out of this movie. It is one of those movies that you can watch over and over again and not get sick out it. I was upset reading other people's reviews for this movie. I guess they were expecting an action/adventure-triller which it isn't. It is supposed to be an adventure-comedy and that is what it feels like. It is the same genre as City Slickers. Anyways, Daniel Stern is perfect for the role of "Mad Max"! I started watching this movie since I was since it came out in 1995 (We were only 5-6 years old) and we still watch this movie. It is a classic in our minds.

A fun comedy for all the family

Author: xxGlitterxx from Ireland
21 September 2009

A harmless misfit who's on the run after being in the wrong place at the wrong time, is mistaken as an experienced boys scouts leader who was hired to bring a group of youth's on a hiking-trip. Hoping to divert the attention from himself by concealing his identity and reckoning it would be an "easy" escape-route, he decides to play along with it. However, he gets more than he bargained for when he ends up on an adventure-filled scouts trip he's not likely to forget for a long time! The children are cleverer than they look and when they they stumble upon his I.D. and realise he's not who they thought he was, they take no prisoners in showing him who's boss! This is an excellent family movie with quirky humour, a fun storyline and good acting. A must see!! I absolutely loved this as a child and still do as an adult!

A little funny but not totally hilarious

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
5 November 2002

Daniel Stern has some good and funny moments (though they're rather scattered) with his comedic starring role in this 1995 20th Century Fox release. He portrays Max Grabelski, a hapless delivery man who winds up being framed for murder and forced to go on the run as a wanted fugitive. While attempting to leave town, he adopts the identity of a Cub Scout leader (Brad Sullivan) and leads a group of rowdy kids on a trek through the wilderness. Predictably, Max, who used to hate kids learns to bond and get along with them and predictably, the film sometimes uses Stern's presence as an excuse for some "Home Alone" references (after all, he did costar in the first two films of that series). Other parts are predictable too and that may be one of the problems but otherwise, it's an overall fair comedy.

Another Childhood Favorite!!!

Author: Pumpkin_Man from United States
3 January 2011

Ever since I was a kid, I've loved this movie. It has a great storyline about an average delivery guy named Max Grabelski who soon becomes a fugitive in a murder case. The police think he killed a millionaire named Reinhart Bragden. He finds out that another package is supposed to be delivered to Mr. Bragden on a mountain called Devil's Peak. On the way there, he wants to prove his innocence, but he is mistaken for a great Scout leader and is forced to take Troop 12 of the Ranger Scouts on an overnight in the woods. Soon, the FBI and Scout Leader Erickson are hot on his trail. Along the way, he begins to care for the kids, and wants to help them get their badges. I highly recommend BUSHWHACKED!!!

Outstanding!

Author: Da reel Mikestar from On a hiking trip
30 October 2001

10/10! This film is fun, witty, warm and adventurous! All round good guy, yet naive Daniel Stern finds himself framed for a murder. Not one to give in to the odds, he poses as a scout leader and takes a group of ranger scouts into the mountains for fun, thrill, chills, a bit of romance and adventure!

Daniel Stern does what he does best, plays the lovable idiot who's constant antics always raise a smile. The scene with the bear cub is his funniest work yet, and the scouts are headed for big things! Outstanding performances all round, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this production. It has the requisite of leaving your brain at the door, but once you do that, expect the laugh of your life!