IMDb > Breaking Free (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Breaking Free More at IMDbPro »

A profound story that defines emotions.

Author: MrNobody97 from United States
16 March 2000

(NOTE : This review contains some spoilers)

Jeremy London stars in "Breaking Free," a movie from 1995. Jeremy plays Rick Chilton, a troubled teen in a juvenile hall. He convinces the strict Mac Lawton to let him try his hand at a camp designed to help and encourage blind children. Annie Sobel (Megan Gallagher) is the one in charge of the camp. After Rick discovers an abused horse, Ghost, he takes it to the camp and teaches Lindsay Kurtz (Gina Philips), an ex-gymnast blinded by an accident, to ride. Rick also teaches the young, red-haired Billy Rankin (Adam Wylie) to ride. Billy doesn't speak to anyone until the end, but the shy boy learns to trust Rick. Lindsay is reluctant to learn, and one night Rick helps her, not remembering his promise to Billy. Upset, the boy takes matters into his own hands, going out riding by himself. Though Mac is still sure that Rick isn't a good influence, Lindsay has changed. (END-OF-MOVIE SPOILERS AHEAD) After Rick saves Billy from the raging river rapids, Mac still returns to take him back to the juvenile hall. Speaking up for the first time, voice filled with emotion, Billy -- though blind -- runs towards Rick and Mac, pleading Mr. Lawton not to take Rick back. The boy pleads, "He's my best friend." Rick, Billy, Mac, Annie, and many others gather to watch as Lindsay enters a competition. She finishes it, and in the end Rick walks off into the distance, his new horse Ghost in one hand.

The entire movie being true and emotional, it shows what friendship is all about. To me, the best acting comes from Adam Wylie, who is so good with sharing feelings and emotions that you can truly feel what Billy does. He has a true friendship with Rick. Truly, like the tagline reads, "Sometimes love is not blind."

Movie title changed for DVD

Author: dlpaul from Palatine, IL
8 August 2008

I enjoyed this movie a lot, it is a good wholesome family film about a boy who is offered the chance to work with kids at a camp instead of going to a juvenile detention facility. Moral lessons are provided, but not in a way that is preachy. If you are looking for it on DVD, it was released November 16, 2006 by Allumination under the title "A Leap of Faith". It is available for purchase on Amazon or rental on Netflix under that title. It is a little confusing because both websites show "A Leap of Faith" as a 2006 movie when it is actually a 1995 movie released on DVD in 2006. It would be good to add the DVD title as an AKA entry, but IMDb administration indicates that is for advanced users and I am not experienced enough to submit such information.

Visual impaired people, a horse, a juvenile delinquent and love.

Author: Joyce Hauchart from Belgium
8 August 2000

Simple story line: 17 year old boy gets into trouble, convicted, ends up in horse camp where blind children reside, meets blind girl, falls in love. Does not sound too good. We are also told we need to say visual impaired vs. blind.

I would recommend this movie for a class of 14 years old to see what can happen when someone gives up a crime career and finds happiness with horses and a blind girl. :-) I don't have to tell you there are bad guys, who try to get the hero back to street life, or the "right" guy who challenges him at the camp.

Too nice, too good, only remarkable acting by Adam Wylie, then 11 years old but acting as an 8-9 year old boy. Fun to watch with the kids. Rainy afternoon movie.

Good work for the horse trainers on the set! Ghost, the horse steels the show and Jeremy London tries to look like Tom Cruise.

This movie endeared itself to me so much, I bought the DVD

Author: cleargraphics from Independence, KY
27 January 2017

This is a lovely movie. My whole family enjoyed watching this movie in our family room with Youtube 480p video resolution and very good audio quality on this Youtube version with a beautiful music score. This movie endeared itself to me so much, I bought the DVD used on Amazon but, this movie on DVD is called "A Leap of Faith," not "Breaking Free." But, to look up this movie in IMDb.com, you have to use "Breaking Free (1995)" as the search protocol. You will like this charming movie about a horse, a guy, and a girl with personal struggles. You can watch the full movie for free on Youtube. Here is the link to copy and paste into your web browser: https://youtu.be/GqWQ3Aqtswc

fine family movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
15 May 2015

Rick Chilton (Jeremy London) is serving time at Bancroft Boys Correctional Facility. Instead of transferring to prison at 18, he gets a chance at a horse riding camp for the blind run by Annie Sobel (Megan Gallagher). Head counselor Clay Nelson (Brian Krause) is not impressed. Lindsay Kurtz (Gina Philips) is a former gymnast struggling with her new blindness when she falls at a competition. Billy Rankin is silent. Brooke Kaufman is a counselor. Rick finds a connection with a horse being abused by his owner and brings him to the camp. Rick's former running mate Blitz promises to break him out.

This is a fine uplifting family movie. Jeremy London is a little too clean-cut for the role. He tries to be harden up as a delinquent with limited success. His boyish charms work well to win over little Billy and Lindsay. There are lots of lessons being learned by the characters. There is a real cliff hanger. It's all very nice and very sincere.

It is really good, saw it last night!

Author: biblestudygal from Washington USA
21 May 2001

I think this is a great movie...I was mad at some parts...I laughed at some parts...I even cried at some parts...Breaking Free is a great family movie...I will recommend it to my family...Feature Films For Families is a great organization.