IMDb > Braveheart (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Braveheart

Braveheart More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 111: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

If this is the best film you've ever seen - See More Films!

Author: imdb-209 from London, England
22 September 2000

Honestly, it's not that good. It's too long, too trite, too formulaic and too revisionist.

Wallace WAS seven feet tall (more or less), but as far as I can tell he was a racist thug - the film conveniently skips over the fact that he had an argument with an Englishman who he murdered, along with five or six others, and then ran away. So much for 'Freedom'. More like "I can't control my temper and the English are after me,so I'd better get some help". He was about as popular with the Scots nobles as he was with the English. Oh, and he wasn't a peasant either.

Anyone saying "it's only a movie"-well read how many comments are praising this film for its historical accuracy. I can take historical fantasy, most "Robin Hood" films for instance, but not when they're touted as 'accurate'.

crap

Author: VicTheDaddy from London
21 March 2006

The scenery is nice,costumes are good, acting not bad,but that is about it.What is it with Mel Gibson and his anti English feelings.I find him dangerous in modern day film making,he takes a story and twists it around with out knowing anything about our history and comes up with these very offensive anti English films,almost like Hitler and his anti semitic propaganda.According to him English men are either gay,rapists,murderers,torturers,we are yet to see how he wants to portray English women,ma by he thinks their lesbian prostitutes who go around murdering small boys, please don't give him ideas.The worst thing of all is that the film is set many centuries ago when every one was barbaric to one another,he makes it look like it was last week.I'm an Englisman who has Scots and Irish friends,and all actor /directors, if you can call him that do is just stir up trouble.He knows nothing about our history so he should stay out of it,leave it to the professionals,like Richard Attenborough.

I don't see why everyone likes this movie so much

Author: thatheo from Netherlands
13 June 2007

No really, I don't. Because it was not only incredibly stupid, half of the time it didn't make any sense at all. I don't mind violence at all, as long as it is done for a valid and proper reason. That Wallace killed off half of England screaming FREEDOM! all the time because some jackass killed his wife. Pure nonsense, I'm telling you.

Secondly, all the action scenes were filmed with this horrible shaky handy-cam view to give you the feeling you are 'in the battle'. This is the point were I really lose all my interest. Why would you make blurred shots, that shake all the time, if it does not truly enhance the visual style of the movie in any way at all? Of course you're not in the battle! And even if you were, you wouldn't shake like that all the time! Honestly, get a clue.

Then the acting. Good god, all the drama and nonsense. I really hate the overacting they sometimes put in movies. It was okay in Lord of the Rings, but here it was dramatic. Bland expressions and faces, people getting angry for no proper reason, no person in the movie tried to say something a bit realistic like: let's try to think out a normal solution instead of fighting in terrible greyly coloured landscapes. No,everyone was screaming, and/or looking as stupid as possible.

This movie lacked so many things, was so gray and boring, overlong and with a lot of irrational actions, I really disliked it. A lot. Possibly the most overrated movie I have ever seen.

Another fine mess from Mel Gibson

Author: Caz1964 from England
22 March 2006

How this film won so many Oscars is beyond me.To start with its totally inaccurate,it looks like a typical excuse for Mel Gibson to try and look macho and at the same time practice his racial hatred on us English.I don't know about anyone else,but i saw this film about ten years ago and the thing i remember most about it apart from his silly hairdo,was the sheer offensiveness of it,I've never watched it since.He implies that the kings son was homosexual,which there's no evidence of,and then implies that homosexuals are evil people,how bad is that in the 20th century.Films have been banned for implying a lot less.But on the whole why cant he just leave our history alone and do something useful like make a film about the Aborigines or the American Red Indians,which is more his neck of the woods,not tear British history apart with how he wants to see it.I'm worried that he may try and make a version of the Battle of Britain,could you imagine it,he would probably portray the English as sitting around drinking tea saying,go on taffy and jock old boy go and kill some Hun for us ha ha tally ho.It would be that bad.

Horrible

Author: enzedder from Wellington, NZ
26 February 2002

The fact that Mel Gibson is in it might be enough to dissuade anyone from watching, but if you continue to watch, you're in for a nasty fright. Although against the best recommendations of British historians, millions of Americans still view this movie as accurate history. Thanks Mel - you've rewritten in 3 hours a nation's history that took thousands of years to form. Some strange facts about this fiction were that the English king actually spoke English, as did his soldiers, who themselves identified as English, when historically you're looking at a would-be further Norman conquest further into Britain. Also, it appears that many Americans, and now many other nationalities (thanks Mel) seem to think that Scotland and Britain are separate entities. If ever there is a Braveheart II, which portrays Scottish raids and invasions into pre-Norman Northumbria, Cumbria, Yorkshire, which shows how the Scots conquered the English city of Edinburgh and made it their capital, which awakens in 50 million Irish Americans a sense of their English heritage (hahaha), I'd watch it. Trouble is, Hollywood doesn't make those sorts of reality films as they're just too real. The English as victims? Perish the thought!

What a pity !

Author: trcclaudia
2 March 2017

In my point of view, this film isn't my favorite, because I don't like this historical period, I'm not interested in that. I had to force myself to watch all the film. I've found that the scenes are very long and I'm not interested in films about war. But the scenes takes place in Scotland and the landscapes are very beautiful.I love when the cameraman films that. I like too how they did the production and the acting. But they don't reproduce very well what happened in reality. What a shame ! I don't know if I will recommend you to see this film. Maybe if you like war and the history of Scotland, you would love this film. But for my part, I don't very like it a lot. There is a lot of violence too so don't look the film with your children. I don't know what I can say about this film, I hope you can enjoy the film.

The search for freedom

Author: eagandersongil from Brazil
4 December 2016

The search for freedom started by the feeling of revenge, the story of a man who could have everything he wanted, gold, land, titles or power, but he only wanted freedom, this is William Wallace, "Braveheart" has a very good script And complete with regard to history, although some characters are poorly developed, the plot is a true epic, its 3 hours may even tire in the first act of the movie, but then gears and not for more, with many twists and epic battles , Technically you do not have to talk about the film, costumes, cuts, performances, everything perfect, with a special highlight for combat photography that is hard, dark, it shows the violence of combat at the same time the hope that arises there, Another highlight is the soundtrack composed by Jamer Horner is extremely perfect for the climate of the film, it is impossible not to listen to the song and not remember the film, not to mention the great dialogues, and I want to emphasize here again the great battles. "Braveheart" is not perfect, has rhythm problems, and even development of some characters, not to mention his first act, and lack of completeness with the real history of William Wallace, but even so, "Valiant Heart" is A movie far, far above the average and deserves our respect.

A Masterpiece That Pulls No Punches

Author: Inception Report from United Kingdom
13 October 2016

As a proud Scotsman I can easily say that Mel Gibsons Braveheart is without a doubt one of my all time favourite movies and one of my favourite best picture winners. By far the most common compliant I see about this movie is the fact that it isn't very historically accurate, well the film is not a history lecture you can only judge the movie itself and I support any changes they made to this movie from real events as it makes for an extremely compelling story. The story of Braveheart is simple William Wallace (played perfectly by Mel Gibson) leading a rebellion with his fellow Scotsman against England and its King Edward I. It's a story that's impossible not to get behind because it's all about freedom and from fighting for equality. The violence in this movie is bloody and gory but not in an unnecessary way it serves a purpose of truly showing the way in which the battles, rape and torture scenes took place. Mel Gibson took home the Oscar for Best Director for this film and it's very well deserved he knows just how to film the action scenes just right to put the viewer right into their situation, he succeeds just as well in front of the camera as well because I believe that to this day this remains his best performance he knows exactly how to portray Wallace's internal turmoil, unwanted fame, inspiration attitudes and overconfidence. This movie does not paint Wallace as a perfect man there are scenes where he recklessly puts himself and others in danger to settle his personal vendettas and anger and in that regard this movie is very accurate to real life. The late Patrick McGoohan is excellent here as King Edward he strikes just the right balance between imposing menace and brilliant strategist and is always a pleasure to see him on screen. Peter Hanly is also fantastic as Prince Edward because while he does and excellent job at being a hateful character it's really not as simple as that he's got a character character arc to him that shows him feeling unimportant and struggling to cope with failures and living up to his fathers legacy. The scene of Wallaces execution is one of my all time favourite scenes in a movie it is just such a heartbreaking and inspirational scene that never stops giving me chills. Braveheart could have easily be a simple war film but it's got excellent characters with excellent arcs and motivations and succeeds just as well when it comes to the battle sequences delivering some of the best I've ever seen. I will fight anyone that calls this Masterpiece underrated: A+-100%

Absolute masterpiece

Author: Judash
9 October 2016

Well, if you're planning to watch a movie that won't disappear from your mind in weeks, that's it.

This is clearly the best movie i have ever seen, every bit of this was just astonishing. I can say some stuff about scenery and actors but it's not necessary so i will move on to the main point - plot. I haven't seen such a beautiful movie about love which transformed into a fight for the others. Main character played by Mel Gibson is a great example of person who lost his love and sacrificed himself fighting for other people's freedom. I've heard some bad stuff about historical correctness but in my opinion it doesn't matter - Mel Gibson has created an excellent movie, not a document.

Kilts have never looked manlier

Author: landonbangerter from United States
20 January 2016

"Braveheart" is one of the most well directed and well shot movies of all time. What Mel Gibson does here is astounding. There's plenty of exciting battle scenes and legit emotional instances. The cinematography is terrific. You really feel like you're in Scotland, admiring its beautiful and brutal world. A lot of endearing authenticity is also thanks to great acting and costume designs as well. It's hard to find a war film that's so focused and emotionally driven as this one. The only flaw I have is that there's a love scenario that develops towards the end of the movie that's totally unnecessary and even takes away from some other emotional tendencies that occur earlier in the film. But it's hard not to get swept up in the grand spectacle that's known as a masterpiece. This is one that shouldn't be missed.