IMDb > Braveheart (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Braveheart

Braveheart More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 112: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The search for freedom

Author: eagandersongil from Brazil
4 December 2016

The search for freedom started by the feeling of revenge, the story of a man who could have everything he wanted, gold, land, titles or power, but he only wanted freedom, this is William Wallace, "Braveheart" has a very good script And complete with regard to history, although some characters are poorly developed, the plot is a true epic, its 3 hours may even tire in the first act of the movie, but then gears and not for more, with many twists and epic battles , Technically you do not have to talk about the film, costumes, cuts, performances, everything perfect, with a special highlight for combat photography that is hard, dark, it shows the violence of combat at the same time the hope that arises there, Another highlight is the soundtrack composed by Jamer Horner is extremely perfect for the climate of the film, it is impossible not to listen to the song and not remember the film, not to mention the great dialogues, and I want to emphasize here again the great battles. "Braveheart" is not perfect, has rhythm problems, and even development of some characters, not to mention his first act, and lack of completeness with the real history of William Wallace, but even so, "Valiant Heart" is A movie far, far above the average and deserves our respect.

One of the best movies and sound of modern cinematography

Author: milangucic from Belgrade, Serbia
7 September 2016

Starting from the first scene, this movie will guide you through the essence of slavery and colonialism made by centuries and millenniums. Fight for freedom and right to live free. Camera, screenplay, actors, sound, music (amazing music) are filled with emotions. I like the Gladiator very much, but this one is pure masterpiece. Mel Gibson have never made such a movie again. But, it very much enough to have this one and stay on top forever. Soundtrack is one of the best I Have ever heard. Amazing how almost every piece of the film is made by a fantastic team.

Shame that movie is rated average by 8.4 but some people are probably just the opposite of this story.

I found this DVD in the library classed under non-fiction....

Author: prrffft
1 October 2008

.....finally I watched Braveheart for the first time.

Is it true that the Scots watch this each year on the day Scottish parliament opens? I bet it's effective in getting them baying for English blood. Gibson has a gift for directing bloody action. But why make a historical film that is so inaccurate?

I'm no historian, but I do recall a little history from school books. Enough to know that Wallace didn't live in a thatched hut. That Edward II was manly and not a limp-wristed girl; his favourite hobby -- apart from hanging out with Piers -- was rowing.....and swimming and shoeing horses. And Wallace did not father Queen Isabella's child, the future king of England, because he did not ever meet her. (Isabella was in France, about 13 when Wallace died, and Edward II only married her 2-3 years after Wallace's death, and after Edward I's death.) Sorry for the spoiler.

Do these 'errors' in historical films matter? Some will say they don't, that film is just for entertainment and legend. But many people who watch films never voluntarily read a book. These films replace history books. They become the common, accepted knowledge. Isn't this dangerous?

I know a non-reader who is obsessed about popular history (i.e. he mainly likes the bits where some guy is slaughtering some other guy). All his knowledge is taken from films and he believes he speaks with ultimate authority, even when he announces that Wallace was very likely father to England's royalty.. I've seen him a few times locking horns with someone who knows his stuff, and it's just embarrassing. And sad. For why should he suspect that Mel is fiddling with the facts to this extent?

A Masterpiece That Pulls No Punches

Author: Inception Report from United Kingdom
13 October 2016

As a proud Scotsman I can easily say that Mel Gibsons Braveheart is without a doubt one of my all time favourite movies and one of my favourite best picture winners. By far the most common compliant I see about this movie is the fact that it isn't very historically accurate, well the film is not a history lecture you can only judge the movie itself and I support any changes they made to this movie from real events as it makes for an extremely compelling story. The story of Braveheart is simple William Wallace (played perfectly by Mel Gibson) leading a rebellion with his fellow Scotsman against England and its King Edward I. It's a story that's impossible not to get behind because it's all about freedom and from fighting for equality. The violence in this movie is bloody and gory but not in an unnecessary way it serves a purpose of truly showing the way in which the battles, rape and torture scenes took place. Mel Gibson took home the Oscar for Best Director for this film and it's very well deserved he knows just how to film the action scenes just right to put the viewer right into their situation, he succeeds just as well in front of the camera as well because I believe that to this day this remains his best performance he knows exactly how to portray Wallace's internal turmoil, unwanted fame, inspiration attitudes and overconfidence. This movie does not paint Wallace as a perfect man there are scenes where he recklessly puts himself and others in danger to settle his personal vendettas and anger and in that regard this movie is very accurate to real life. The late Patrick McGoohan is excellent here as King Edward he strikes just the right balance between imposing menace and brilliant strategist and is always a pleasure to see him on screen. Peter Hanly is also fantastic as Prince Edward because while he does and excellent job at being a hateful character it's really not as simple as that he's got a character character arc to him that shows him feeling unimportant and struggling to cope with failures and living up to his fathers legacy. The scene of Wallaces execution is one of my all time favourite scenes in a movie it is just such a heartbreaking and inspirational scene that never stops giving me chills. Braveheart could have easily be a simple war film but it's got excellent characters with excellent arcs and motivations and succeeds just as well when it comes to the battle sequences delivering some of the best I've ever seen. I will fight anyone that calls this Masterpiece underrated: A+-100%

Absolute masterpiece

Author: Judash
9 October 2016

Well, if you're planning to watch a movie that won't disappear from your mind in weeks, that's it.

This is clearly the best movie i have ever seen, every bit of this was just astonishing. I can say some stuff about scenery and actors but it's not necessary so i will move on to the main point - plot. I haven't seen such a beautiful movie about love which transformed into a fight for the others. Main character played by Mel Gibson is a great example of person who lost his love and sacrificed himself fighting for other people's freedom. I've heard some bad stuff about historical correctness but in my opinion it doesn't matter - Mel Gibson has created an excellent movie, not a document.

10 out of 10 (I'd rate it higher if I could)

Author: true-poetry
29 May 2015

I watched the movie again the other day, and I had to write a review. This movie is as close as it gets to perfection. It's a combination of so many genres and so beautifully combined. You have history movie, spectacle, drama, action, love story...(i'll probably forget some) going on at the same time. The acting is perfect, the directing is amazing, the scenes of Scotland are beautiful, even the fight scenes that are full of blood (like you can direct violence without blood?!) are spectacular. Mel Gibson really did an amazing job here and every time I see some good movie I use Braveheart as a reference point - that explains how high this movie is on my list! People can argue and it's good that they do but for me this is the best movie ever made and I can give countless of reasons to back up my statement!

A Masterpiece

Author: Ross622 from United States
26 April 2014

Mel Gibson's Braveheart is a powerful historical epic that tells the story of a man named William Wallace and how he fought for the freedom of Scotland. The movie stars Mel Gibson as Wallace a man who was devoted to his country's natural rights. Director and star Mel Gibson really knows the history behind how Scotland got their independence from England, this movie has a similar story to Gandhi by Richard Attenborough in which both of those films had only one thing in common both Scotland and India wanted independence from England but in different centuries. What Mel Gibson tries to teach us from this film is how much of a hero that William Wallace was in real life at the time he was alive. Also the musical score by James Horner was just plain perfect for the movie itself. Also the movie compares to epic historical masterpieces like Schindler's List, Lincoln,Gandhi,Saving Private Ryan, The Great Escape, and many more.

A Definite A+

Historically inaccurate and unbelievable.

Author: Essex_Rider from United Kingdom
19 February 2014

To be fair, viewed as a cinematic project, this was good with very realistic battle scenes and overall landscape. However, from a historical point of view, it is utter tripe. On 25 January 1308, Edward II married Isabella of France, yet the movie purports to have Wallace impregnate the princess of Wales at some point before he died while she is married to Edward II. Yet the 'fact' is, Wallace was executed three years before the Princess was even married. Given that the princess didn't give birth until 1312, that must have been one heck of a gestation period, 7 years to be exact. Also, at the battle of Stirling, or more accurately 'The Battle of Stirling Bridge', Wallace did not defeat heavy chivalry using lines of disciplined troops carrying long stave's. He defeated the English because the English were forced to cross a narrow bridge, and once penned in, they were easier to kill. This was compounded by the rout into the cavalry and the collapse of the bridge leading to many troops drowning. Wallace was a guerrilla fighter, not a strategist. This might have been a great movie if Mel Gibson had kept to the truth, as it is, it is a seriously marred piece of sensationalist anti-English hokum that would be more at home as a work of fiction that one supposedly based on fact.

Why?

Author: Lawrence Archibald von Austerlitz from Central Mongolia
18 August 2013

I was excited to see this movie. It won 5 Oscars, it has supposedly great acting, and is apparently very exciting and inspiring to many of the people who have seen it.

However, I tried to watch this movie and was so repelled by Mel Gibson's flat, bland, pathetic performance and the pretentious and simplistic plot that I could not finish it. Mel Gibson is absolutely terrible in this film. His character is completely one-dimensional and his romance is absolutely unbelievable. He looks completely ridiculous with 3 foot long hair and he is very conspicuously miscast. The camera lingers on his epic feats and heroic poses and I wondered sometimes if the movie was more a Mel Gibson montage or a biopic (which it really isn't anyway).

From what I have heard, this movie completely butchered history. It is known to be one of the most inaccurate biopics ever created. And if this is true, then how on earth can it be "inspiring," "breathtaking," even good?!

This is truly an insult to cinema and history. 1/10

Its a wonder Alexander the Great didn't turn up!

Author: kevin-h-720-45317
24 June 2013

Dear dear me........this was nearly as bad as the film "Titanic" were the English are portrayed as locking Irish passengers below decks to drown as it was against the rules to allow them on the upper decks even as the ship was sinking!! to say that Brave heart comes across as racist and insulting is to put it mildly. All that has been said regarding historical inaccuracies has already been said in previous reviews. Mel certainly seems to have an Axe to grind or in this case a broadsword with the English and much like the patriot it portrays a nation that spawned the biggest empire the world has seen as inept duplicitous cowards(way to go Mel) have give this load of tripe a (1) as I cannot give it a zero.....I think there are a few Englishmen who would like to bump into this jumped up little dwarf and give him a history lesson.......