IMDb > Braveheart (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 105:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Best movie ever

Author: rutan07 from United States
13 September 2005

Most on this site pick the Godfather, or the Shawshank Redemption, but this is it, this is the best film ever made. People will complain, will argue that I am wrong, but I will say it again...Braveheart is as close to perfection as a movie can be. The acting is superb, the man who played Lonshanks, the actor who portrayed Robert the Bruce, both should have been nominated for Oscars due to their powerful rendering of evil and a man who is saved from losing his humanity (from becoming evil) by meeting William Wallace. And let us not forget the direction, the cinematography. Braveheart is glorious, beautiful to look at. The slow motion pictures of horses preparing to charge armed combatants, the entire landscape of Scotland that Mel Gibson captures with the camera. Braveheart is artwork, it is as good as any picture. That the film is number 93 on the list of the top 250 movies ever is a shame. Yes there is violence in this film but that violence does serve a point...that freedom isn't free and sometimes it takes death, gruesome and horrible, to let ones people taste what it is like to be free. Braveheart is a great movie and it deserves to at least be in the top ten of IMDb's list of greatest films.

Simply amazing

Author: Sheldon Eyzenga from Canada
19 November 2005

I remember seeing this movie for the first time in late 2003, and I was impressed. I saw it again last night, and I was even more impressed. The acting is amazing, and the ending was brilliant. For me, all my guesses were incorrect. Everything that happens in this movie in unpredicted. The last half hour itself was highly unpredictable, and it had a powerful message. When a scene was meant to be dramatic, they did a great job at it. I don't know about everybody else, but the ending did make me cry. The message the movie sent kept me thinking for a while. The amount of courage and bravery was inconceivable, there was barely any faults or anything wrong with the movie. For a movie of 1995, they did a great job.

I absolutely guarantee this movie to anybody who enjoys action and war with a bit of drama mixed in. One of the best, or maybe even the best movie of the 20th century.

For he had only one life to give for Scotland.

Author: riddler_1138-3 from Broken Arrow, Ok
19 November 1999

On my list of the greatest movies of all time, BraveHeart ranks as number 3. It is by far one of the most epic stories ever told. Mel Gibson deserved all the credit he recieved and more. His portrayal of William Wallace, one of Scotlands most mightiest warriors, was spot on. The only part that lacked was the romantic affair of Princess Isabella and Wallace. It historically never happened. This movie also has other historical errors but WHO CARES!

The Battle of Stirling has to be the second most graphic piece of footage ever shot next to Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan. I love the part where the English Commander gives the order to charge and Wallace sees this and raises his broadsword into the air and starts yelling. He charges the field with the Scots and I'll let you see the movie to see what happens next.

Wallace's emotional speech at the battle of Stirling still is inspirational and I think that the REAL William Wallace would be proud of the way Mel Gibson portrayed him.

My hat goes off to Mel Gibson. I hope he makes a few more movies like this one.

Out of ten............10/10!

Je-ne-sais-quoi-ly great!

Author: Hanbing Feng from New York, USA
17 November 2004

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch Braveheart till 2003 when it was on TV. However, the lack of theatrical effects never stopped me from being mesmerized by this epic for one moment. So mesmerized, I literally sat motionlessly on the couch for two minutes after the movie. Any normal audience would likely to cast his/her sense of reality away and be captivated by this distant Celtic saga.

Beside proving himself as a brilliant director, Mel Gibson more importantly gave life to a historical hero whose superb gallantry, vivid character and magnificent spirit shall never be history. Along with the unforgettable 'Alba gu bragh!' and the unprecedentedly heart-stopping 'Freeeeedom', Braveheart unquestionably is one of the greatest movies ever made.

The best movie ever made!!!

Author: jcrap from Denmark
11 March 2005

This is simply the best movie ever made, containing all the elements a perfect movie should, even considering that every person has a right to his/her opinion. The soundtrack is amazing, the scenes are ingenious and the story is simply excellent! This is a story about a Scotsman named William Wallace (Mel Gibson) and his fight for the freedom of the Scottish people, from the oppression of the English ruler-ship. After seeing the death of his wife at the hands of an English nobleman, William Wallace (Mel Gibson) sets out on a quest for vengeance that quickly turns into a crusade for freedom for the entire "country". The extreme violence as well as the human compassion in this movie are overwhelming in its brilliancy.

Somewhere between "Bravo" and "Whoa."

Author: Writerunitedforbetterwriting (jdkillin@juno.com) from United States
7 September 2005

I saw this film for the first time on cable, and, fortunately, it was an "uncut" version. I was greatly impacted, but, as bad luck would have it, I would not see it again for two years.

Mel Gibson is an accomplished actor, with films like "Mad Max" and "Lethal Weapon" under his belt. "Ransom" showed he was more than just a quirky role actor, but it was "Braveheart" that proved to everyone that he was a great actor... and director.

What he has envisioned and ensnared on camera is one of the great cinematic achievements of all time, and at an awkward time, too. Looking back at previous years at the Oscars, and you have "Schindler's List," "Dances with Wolves," and "Unforgiven." Looking ahead, you have "Titanic," "Shakespeare in Love," and "Gladiator." These are all period pieces. Right smack dab in the middle is "Braveheart." It is the most simple of the films above, yet it is arguably the best. None will argue its impact is greater than "Schindler's List" nor its power greater than "Unforgiven," but what it has, more than any of those other films, is heart. Much like his "Passion of the Christ," Mel Gibson brings a passion to this film, and that is what sustains it.

Mel Gibson plays William Wallace, a well-educated Scottish peasant who is determined to lead a peaceful life. Well, if you've seen the poster for this film, you probably already know that he doesn't succeed. When a law is put into place that says English noblemen have first right to lay with Scottish brides, Wallace marries in secret. But, when it is found out, a local noble attempts to take Murron, Wallace's wife, she resists, leading to a gruesome execution. With little choice, Wallace opts for vengeance, and thus begins the journey of Scotland's greatest warrior.

This is a wonderfully acted, directed, photographed, and designed film with great performances, particularly from a breathtakingly beautiful Sophie Marceau, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

A flurry of emotions to move you in every direction (at least once)

Author: James Brown (suiko) from New Zealand
13 December 2004

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a film of quite this caliber again. Braveheart contains elements of Romance (several heart- wrenching and warming instances), Epic/Action (spectacular scenes), Mystery (can take a few viewings to put it all together), History (albeit romanticised) and of course Drama (perfectly unravelled). This level of uncompromised multi-tasking allows the film to move you to laugh and cry, love and hate or even to think and be taught. I'm trying to avoid the clichés of glowing reviews (almost as bad as entirely negative ones) - but this is one of the few movies that I feel deserves one.

The witty banter between friends/foes/lovers/relatives is, in my opinion, flawless and aids the film's claim as a true classic. The soundtrack is similarly top-notch and encapsulates and refracts the patriotic theme during several key moments. The political sub-plot and gorgeous scenery also serve as refreshers during otherwise heavy areas of the story. Perhaps Braveheart's only flaw (but if you share my sentiments it's actually a bonus) is its length so you'll want to prepare a comfy seat and maybe even two pots of tea (complete with cosies!).

I suppose it's also relevant to touch on the historic inaccuracies as I expect this is what people might dislike most about this film. However, "History is written by those who have hanged heroes"; also, the overall sketchiness of such periods coupled with the right of artistic license are enough for me to personally dismiss such thoughts. On that note, I hope you also enjoy what, to me, is the greatest film created (so far).

Man vs King

Author: raidbers from United States
2 September 2005

This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. I recently purchased it and have watched it at least five times since then, and each time i pick up on things I did not see the other times. The fight scenes are great, the plot is both interesting and thought provoking, there is romance and comedy. This is a movie that any person can appreciate at some level.

True, the historical content may have been distorted, but even though, this movie is meant for entertainment. It is not a history lesson caught on video.

The acting is absolutely superb, this movie is guaranteed to have you on the edge of your seat for the entire three hours.

A Majestic Film of Scotland

Author: nakais from McPherson, Kansas
4 December 2004

This enthralling movie Braveheart takes a viewer's breath away. The invigorating battle scenes, the incredible acting, and the fierce power of love all captivated me when I first saw this movie. James Horner's music is a masterpiece--it adds elegance and dimension to the magnificent film. Mel Gibson's zealous passion as his character William Wallace is truly an inspiration. Scots are very dignified, highly revered people, and this movie really presented Scotland's pride.

Everything in this film was done tastefully. Even the ending, which by the way is heart-wrenching, was done artistically, as Wallace sees his wife during such a traumatizing event. Of course, nothing was better than the rich satisfaction of watching Wallace scream for freedom, freedom and not mercy. This epic film must be watched again and again.

Medieval superman takes on evil empire in revisionist epic

Author: from Traveller
13 February 2007

Shockingly one-sided portrayal of real, tragic events that left thousands of innocents dead on both sides of the Anglo-Scottish border.

Previous historical epics have dealt very maturely with the subjects of conquest, rebellion, repression, etc - 'Spartacus' being one good example, 'El Cid' another – so for that reason alone, this self-indulgent, schoolboy fantasy rates as a big disappointment.

Basically, Mel Gibson throws the history book away, and makes Scottish knight William Wallace into a Geronimo-like hero, constantly on the run, constantly outwitting (and brutally slaughtering) his cruel, pompous, haughty, tyrannical, cowardly, ignorant, 'pagan' (!) enemies. Rarely is it mentioned that the real guy killed anyone who understood the English tongue, and often skinned and burned alive his prisoners – many of whom were taken during Scottish raids into England (yes, it happened both ways, though this film would have you think differently).

Does it work? Sure it works, on a very simple level. The scenery is lovely, the battles are probably the most convincingly filmed to date (though if you look closely, you'll see that they mainly consist of brawny Scotsmen bloodily butchering screaming, squawking Englishmen). But it does work. It's pacey enough, it's entertaining and it has as raw, gutsy feel.

If, however, you're like me, and you prefer at least a little bit of historical accuracy, then it's a dog's breakfast. To begin with, the armies Wallace led are portrayed in the movie as poorly-armed highlanders, whereas in reality they were lowlanders, easily as well equipped as the English armies they fought. The battle of Stirling Bridge was decided by the collapse of the bridge under the weight of the English cavalry, most of whom then drowned in their armour. The Scots did wreak some butchery, but mainly on the small infantry vanguard who'd got to the other side – the English 'heavy horse' were never involved. At Falkirk, the Irish didn't side with their fellow Celts (they despised the Scots), and though the battle was indeed won by the English because the Scottish nobility fled the field, Wallace also fled – how else did he survive? The characterisation is extraordinarily weak. Gibson himself, though his performance strikes a convincingly muscular, patriotic note, speaks in modern Glaswegian and sports blue woad and Celtic plaits that predate the Dark Ages never mind the Middle Ages. Sophie Marceau's beautiful French princess is totally one-dimensional as an abused innocent (in truth she was a scheming harpy, who later connived in the savage murder of her own husband and then an attempted coup). Patrick McGoohan (who steals the show for me – at least he gives his character some charisma), concentrates mainly on the stern, unyielding side of Edward Longshanks – we don't learn that he founded Parliament, or revised countless laws for the benefit of the underclass, etc.

It's a big missed opportunity. The same story could still have been told, painting Wallace as a hero, depicting Scotland as an oppressed society, but a bit of balance and political back-story would have made it much more interesting and, dare I say it, more adult.

It sill works, but only the way a pre-1960s cavalry vs Indians western works: as a bit of rousing fun, anachronistic in a more educated age.

Page 1 of 105:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]