IMDb > The Brady Bunch Movie (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Brady Bunch Movie

The Brady Bunch Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

I never thought of it that way..

Author: Incalculacable (vintagous@hotmail.com) from Perth, WA
22 December 2005

The Brady Bunch Movie (1995) is, in my opinion, one of the best spoofs in movie history. Every character is deliciously well done in true '70s style, the decor is excellent, and the whole plot is hilarious: the Bradys in the '90s. An excellent movie on the whole, complete with cameos by the original Brady Bunch cast and '70s icons.

The beauty of this movie, has I've mentioned before, is that it is done so authentically. There are little touches here and there (you may need to watch the movie a few times to notice), such as 'The Partridge Family' bus going by just before the singing competition scene.

There are some hilarious moments (some quite cringe worthy too!). Mike Brady giving a 'wise' speech, Marcia getting hit in the nose by a football, Marcia's dance and so many more. I even find when Jan knocks some boxes off funny! Pacing wise, it moves very fast so you don't get bored. It runs smoothly. No qualms there.

It is really amusing to see a naive, sweet '70s family fit in with '90s California grunge. It's a great movie - many great memories of this.

Great self-mocking fun

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
2 August 2002

The 1970's family The Brady's find themselves in the 1990's but still with the same virtues we all know. However their next door neighbour is trying to get all the land around the area acquired to build a mall. He has been hiding their mail and causing them to build up $20K in unpaid taxes. The kids set about trying to raise the money to save the family home.

Reading the reviews shows me that people just don't get this film. I think this is a great example of what should happen when you remake a cheesy TV show from all our childhood's. The whole film is one big self-mocking joke about the values of the Brady's. The plot is not really important but it is a good summing up of the daft plots they had back then, however here it is just a device for the jokes.

The joke here is that we have a slightly modern spin on the family. We see them being all cheesy and full of morals even when surrounded by the dog eat dog world of LA in the nineties, but they are still the same. I find this funny and the moral lessons etc are all delivered tongue in cheek. The best bit of self mocking is the modern expansion of the characters – this thing is full of innuendoes and nice touches – like Jan hearing voices etc

The cast are all spot on. Long and Cole talk it straight but let their looks and glances tell a different story (Long is excellent), while the kids are all very very good. I'd never seen the show till after this so I didn't see any cameos or anything but really this isn't important.

This is great – you don't need to have seen the show. It's wonderfully self mocking and very very funny. Those who criticise it for not being serious or for being a joke just are getting it at all. Great fun!

Hilarious, over-the-top spoof of "Brady Phenomenon"

Author: mdm-11 from United States
10 October 2004

Besides offering countless belly-laughs, this spoof of the legendary sit-com has many authentic elements of the original 70s TV show. The casting in itself was a stroke of genius. I'm still not sure if they actually "froze" Maureen McCormick (the REAL Marcia Brady), only to unthaw her in time to return to her role in this film; the actress playing Marcia in this film looks like a clone of the original! Shelley Long is also striking as Carol, as are Cindy, Bobby and Alice. -- Several original cast members from the TV series had cameos, most noteworthy Ann B. Davis (Alice), who returned as a truck driving confidante to a confused run-away Jan. -- Florence Henderson showed up as her own meddling mother who finally (much overdue) told Jan to "cut the crap!", giving her a swift smack on the cheek, thus curing her of her chronic and tiresome wining. -- We meet the Brady's neighbors the "Dittmeyers", who were frequently mentioned, but never actually shown on the TV program. Here they are no "Fred & Ethel", but scheming, manipulative opportunists, eager to convince the Bradys to sell their house (to them), in order for a big developer to turn the entire neighborhood into a huge building project. -- The film is also loaded with cheesy advice we remember Mike & Carol dishing out in over-dose rations during their 5 year run in prime time (not to mention the zillions of re-runs to follow). This will always be Sherwood Schwartz's biggest hit. The Brady Bunch will go down with Lucy, Andy and Samantha as America's best loved all-time favorite sit coms. The Brady Bunch Movie only intensified America's love affair with the light fluff that dreams are made of. This film is a winner in my book!

Extremely funny, very clever too

Author: Boyo-2
11 September 2000

Out of all the movies that have been made from old TV shows, this is perhaps the best. The plot is as thin as one you see on the show and. The dialogue is killer - when Marcia is insecure about her injured nose on a date, the guy reassures her, "its not your nose I'm after". Quite alot of the jokes are of the double-meaning style and most of them are very funny. Gary Cole takes the acting honors, as he is just as sincere are Robert Reed was. I was never the biggest fan of the show, but this movie made me wish I were. Also it was great seeing Davey Jones of the Monkees!

Really 'Brady-full'

Author: sajeeva sinniah from Sri Lanka
1 October 2004

In America, almost all teenagers, who grew up in the late 60's and early 70's, would have loved the TV show. Though I am way past that generation and not even close to America, I still fall in that same category – every fan can only wish for one day- this to become a huge movie- and it did.

Though the humour of this movie is of a sarcastic nature, basically ridiculing this family for being out-dated, it still doesn't make this movie less funnier. It only makes us realize, that TV shows before are of a completely different nature, and with that kind of script, no network would even think of accepting it. This movie covered certain things, which could not have been done on 70's TV- like Peter's growing up dilemmas. Everyone gave brilliant performances- there is homage to certain episodes- most of which were very popular- especially the one with Marcia's swollen nose. A bit of trivia- in the TV series- Mr. Dittmeyer is the Brady's neighbors- though I doubt he has ever appeared in any episode, his name has been mentioned on many episodes.

Anyone who was a fan of the TV series should check this movie out. It is definitely a guilty pleasure, which is worth enjoying.

Neato!

Author: David, Film Freak from Palmerston North, New Zealand
24 September 2001

Groooovy! Neato! Yup, the Brady's are back and are struggling to make it in the 90's, the Brady house is being put up for auction, and it's up to the all-singing, all-dancing Brady kids troupe to sing their way out of it!

Shelley Long and Gary Cole play Carol and Mike Brady, while the kids are played by the likes of Christine Taylor, Christopher Daniel Barnes and Olivia Hack. RuPaul even gets into the Brady act, appearing as the kid's school guidance person - helping Jan through her 'Marcia, Marica, Marcia!' obsession.

Plenty of laughs (if not for the sheer corn factor) and it's actually quite fun. If you ever loved the original 'Brady Bunch' series - then you'll love this. Cast originals Florence Henderson, Barry Williams and Ann B. Davis all make cameo appearances.

It's happening in a far out way!

A must see for all Brady Bunch fans

Author: kbouck from Phx, AZ
27 October 1999

I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious!! I grew up watching the Brady Bunch and anyone who is a fan of the TV show will truly enjoy this film. Michael McKean was so funny as Mr. Dittmire. Although the humor is off the wall and silly......this movie spoofed the show right down to a tee. Very funny!

A clever spoof

Author: JW-27 from Boston, MA
29 June 1999

OK, I'm as fed up with the polyvinyl, well-scrubbed Brady family as anyone, so a spoof on the entire genre was most refreshing. But I think people who are not familiar with the series may take some pleasure in the 90's-steeped humor that's also present. Certainly not for everyone, but I can only rate a movie as I see it, and I was thoroughly amused (rating: 7/10).

Mind Blowing!

Author: Robert-53 from Los Angeles
10 November 1998

For anyone old enough to have seen the original series, this movie truly blows the lid off of the whole TV show and pokes fun at the whole whole family and concept at every turn. They easily could have done a formula tv-ish movie and instead they make a complete parody that is screamingly funny. Not to mention that the fact that the cast are dead-ringers for the originals--in fact Jan is so _frighteningly_ like the original that it'll send shivers up your back. Four of the original cast also make cameos in the film (but you'll have to really look to find some of them), and the film blends the whole campy concept with the "retro" plastic nineties--a perfect joke on fashions of this decade. Very worth watching!

Lots of fun

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
19 October 2009

Clever spoof on "The Brady Bunch" TV series. The Bradys are still living like it's the 1970s but it's 1995. They wear the terrible 70s fashions, are all squeaky clean and friendly and are totally oblivious that the times have changed. Various plots from the old TV show are used and the reactions from 1990s people are frequently hilarious. However this is probably only for a select audience. I grew up watching it on TV when I was in grade school and saw it constantly in reruns when I was in junior high and high school. Therefore I have mostly every episode memorized. The movie has plenty of in jokes for fans of the series and people like me (I sort of like the show but I'm no fan). So if you're not familiar with the Bradys or the show you might not like it. I originally caught this at a theatre back in 1995. It was wall to wall baby boomers and college kids. When the title song came on the whole audience joined in loudly and loved the whole movie! So I think most people will like it and get it.

The whole cast looks almost exactly like their TV counterparts with the sole exception of Gary Cole who looks nothing like Robert Reed. On the other hand Shelley Long is a dead ringer for Florence Henderson. The Brady house looks exactly like it did in the TV show--heck, they even use the same music! Also there are cameos from various original cast members and other 70s stars (like Davy Jones and the Monkees). There are also a few dance and song numbers (all from the original show) that are energetic and colorful (if you ignore the inane lyrics). There's also a few gay positive characters squeezed in. There's a lesbian school mate after Marcia (who's totally oblivious) and an interracial gay couple living on the same street as the Bradys. I personally LOVE this movie and think it's hysterical. I give it a 10.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]