IMDb > Billy Madison (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Billy Madison

Billy Madison More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Stop looking at me, Swan!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
22 May 2001

What can I possibly say? This is no "Citizen Kane," but this is one of the movies that sticks out in my mind the most. It's a twisted, crude, tasteless comedy but never ceases to bring out extreme laughter, even after I've seen it approximately 200 times--give or take. I just cannot get tired of this movie! There are things in this movie that cannot be understood, like every Sandler flick. What the hell was the deal with the penguin? However, it's a memorable moment. There are so many memorable quotes from the film. It's one of those movies I can quote line per line off the top of my head.

Here's a share of my favorite quotes:

(singing) "Suntan lotion is good for me. You protect me. Tee-hee-hee."

"O'Doyle rules!"

"It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around. I gotta send him back to the South Pole."

"You're giving the company to Eric? He is a bad, bad man."

Adam Sandler has that brand of comic genius in which you don't know what you're laughing at, but it's damn funny! You can't help it! I can't rant and rave about anything artistically brilliant about "Billy Madison." Yet it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's funny, it's original, it's Sandler! Nuff said.

My score: 8 (out of 10)

"I'm one of the GOOD guys, Penguin!"

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
5 March 2002

This is one of those lucky cases where the opening sequence of a movie gives you an excellent idea of what you are in for.

If you do not enjoy Billy's sunblock song, or the bit with the penguin, then you must turn off the movie and stop being such a nag about it.

But for those of us who happen to enjoy movies that are silly and stupid, this is one of the best ones out there.

Such a funny movie, it never gets old

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
30 January 2005

If you want to see a movie that is fun, puts you in a good mood, and never gets old, then see Billy Madison. All of you Sandler haters will think this is stupid, but everyone who likes Adam Sandler, or doesn't mind humor that is kind of stupid will love Billy Madison.

This is one of Adam Sandler's first movies, and it's one of his best also. This is a movie that I've seen so many times, but I still enjoy it every time. This is good to watch when you're in a bad mood, or if you're stressed out, because it will perk you up quicker than any coffee you can name. Other movies that put you in a good mood are Happy Gilmore, Beavis and Butthead Do America, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, and Tommy Boy.

Overall, Billy Madison has a somewhat stupid sense of humor, but it does make you laugh, and it's such an entertaining movie. If you haven't seen this yet, see it now and see what all the laughing is about.

I Laughed my balls off!!

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
30 April 2000

Billy Madison in a landslide is Adam Sandler's best film. I never laughed so hard. Maybe the humor is a little stupid, but that is because before seeing this movie, you have to make sure your brain is not in Fellini mode and in Sandler mode.

Story revolves around Billy Madison, who must go back to school (he is 27) and graduate High School so he can take over his father's hotel ring. His whole odyssey is utterly hilarious from start to finish. Especially because he has cameos and stars like Norm MacDonald, Steve Buscemi, and Chris Farley as a Penguin lover (that penguin hadn't made me laugh that hard since the pee scene in Naked Gun). Great fun (one of the best of 1995). A++

So stupid, but so damned funny!

Author: SourGreenapple42 from New York, United States
7 October 2007

The great thing about "Billy Madison" is you're not suppose to take it nor judge it too seriously. They knew while making it that it wouldn't be an Oscar winner, nor would it be the next "Citizen Kane", nor is it suppose to be some intriguing and involved plot, but it in return has rightfully earned itself a major cult classic status among youth and film lovers since it's release. It has also become one of the most quoted and memorable films over the past 12 years.

It's about a 27-year-old man who makes a bet with his dad that if he repeats and passes grades 1-12 (Where is K?), he will take over for his dad's hotel company, instead of his dad's obnoxious and sociopathic friend Erik (played to perfection by Bradley Whitford; despite Billy not having any experience in the field at all...). The film from there follows him in each grade.

Does that sound like much of a plot? No. It is inept, idiotic, unrealistic and bizarre, but it is one of the funniest movies ever made. It has endless amounts of memorable gags that will make you laugh over and over again, it has the type of sense of humor that makes you laugh because it is so damned strange and nonsensical. Most of its gags rely on a hybrid of black humor and slapstick that produces hysterical results.

I feel like I'm 10 years old quoting the movie to all of my friends, but it's the type of movie that will make you do that. If you are in the mood for a very good and thought provoking movie, this isn't your movie, but if you are in the mood to laugh your ass off and not pay attention to how good it actually is... here is your movie.

But that aside, "Billy Madison" isn't just awful like many other goofball comedies of the 90's and 00's, it is very entertaining and memorable... because it just manages to really make you laugh. And it's not dumb characters making stupid mistakes (like Black Sheep for example), just very weird characters making "What the hell was that?!" situations.

One Of Adam Sandler's Best

Author: vince200002000 from United Kingdom
1 October 2007

As a comedian, Adam Sandler does great on all of his comedy films but this one will always stand as one of his best most funniest films. The plot is very ridiculous, but in a way that makes it truly hilarious. Billy Madison must go back to school in order to prove that he is responsible and mature enough to take over his fathers hotel business. The fact that Billy is totally incapable of running a hotel, and can be a total idiot at times makes the whole idea of it so funny. All of the other characters are funny in their own unique ways. This movie will always have a special shine as one of the funniest movies of the 90's and one of Sandler's best in his career.

For Moron Eyes Only

Author: dunmore_ego from Los Angeles, California
21 July 2007

Billy Madison is the type of mungo movie that leaves one speechless on how it could have ever been made. The answer, of course, is because that champion of dullards was involved - Adam Sandler, playing the eponymous Billy Madison with every ounce of talent the Christian god forgot to give him. A fine businessman he is; a writer and comedian he's not.

In order to inherit his father's hotel empire, twenty-something idiot-boy, Billy Madison must promise his father (Darren McGavin) that he'll repeat grades 1 through 12 in six months and graduate, or the empire will fall to a business acquaintance (Bradley Whitford).

We discover Billy can't even spell "rock." How then are we expected to believe this imbecile who fills his days with "daiquiris, stroke mags and Nintendo" can accomplish his task in six months? About now the speechlessness starts. This is not an underprivileged person deprived of getting the breaks and so therefore failing at life - Billy is an enabled douchebag whose father paid off teachers to pass him and who refused to educate himself, until his inheritance was at stake, at which point he suddenly wants to turn over a new leaf only to inherit the riches.

This is not a nice man. He is neither hero nor anti-hero. He is a waste of space. And the directionless movie can't even make up its mind on how to portray him, because even though it disparages higher learning at every turn, the disparagement is in direct opposition to the plot of the movie itself, where Billy needs to graduate, i.e. display that he has learned, in order to claim his inheritance.

And the smokin' blond first grade teacher (Bridgette Wilson) – instead of considering him the illiterate moron he is for trying to pass first grade – falls for him. Well, we all know she's attracted to a multi-billionaire's son for his personality, right?

Directed nominally by Tamra Davis, from an unfunny script by Tim Herlihy and Sandler (Herlihy would go on to write all Sandler's "comedies" until 2002), Billy moves up through the grades via a montage, not actually doing tests or learning anything, but through attending camp, playing basketball, writing derogatory notes about the ugliness of his fourth grade teacher and having lice exams.

Is it even worthwhile wasting my server space on this review, or you frying your braincells reading it, or Adam Sandler pretending to act in it?

The answer is no.

(Movie Maniacs, visit: poffysmoviemania.com)

Not ashamed to say this was really funny

Author: rams_lakers from Colorado
29 September 2004

Looking at some of the reviews here reinforces the fact that there are certain people that like different types of humor. If stupid humor makes you laugh, this is your comedy. If you like stale British cerebral humor, maybe you should stay far away from this. I'm sure we all have our favorite and unfavorite comedians. I happen to like Sandler because he is immaturely funny. I think Dave Chapelle's show is pretty damn funny too. I never thought Sam Kinison was funny (the screaming is annoying) nor do I care for Chris Tucker.

I saw Billy Madison at the theater, a friend and myself and the 8 other guys randomly scattered around the seating area found this to be pretty damn hilarious. I laughed at about 8 different scenes and that is a lot for me for any one movie. I still laugh at a few of the scenes when I see repeats and yes I have it on video.

Those of you who dislike this movie are more than likely too old and stuck on your Bob Hope type era comedians and refuse to admit any others. Sandler isn't the greatest comedian who ever lived but his shtick was fresh and original when this movie came out. I have a video of him back when he did stand up and the guy is brilliant.

Again, people who get easily annoyed and upset with the stupid type humor steer clear of this movie and save yourself the aggravation that these sad negative reviewers subjected themselves to.

Oh God. Oh God no. Please stop. No really, this is worse than 'Coneheads'.

Author: Fletcher Walton from Felixstowe, Engalnd
19 September 2000

*** MAY CONTAIN A SPOILER OR TWO. HERE'S A TIP, DON'T BOTHER WATCHING THIS TRASHY FLICK AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ***

I cannot believe how bad this film was. I use the past tense since I dropped it in a bottomless pit and even that wouldn't touch it. In the end I threw the video in a furnace and washed my brain out with industrial bleach. It is SO amazingly inept ; the characters are SO repellent ; the plot contrivances are SO nonsensical ; and the scripting is SO bad. It made me cringe. I lied to friends about watching it. I lost hope for humanity. Really, it's horrific.

Going into this movie I quite liked Adam Sandler. 'Airheads' was fun and 'Happy Gilmore' was hilarious. Post viewing I realised there are basically two types he could play : repressed romantic with a short fuse ('The Wedding Singer', 'Happy Gilmore') which is funny ; and irritating dimwit with a stupid voice ('Billy Madison', The Waterboy'). The latter can be tolerable with a decent script but this abomination doesn't even make any sense.

Sandler is annoying, you just want his performance to end, the main supporting characters are badly constructed and the situations rarely raise a laugh. Norm Macdonald, who sometimes raises a smile, is lost amid a sea of crap scripting. A musical number totally misses the mark and most everything else is bafflingly bad.

On the plus side, the ever average Chris Farley and Sandler's mate Steve Buscemi put in quirky cameos in an attempt to save the film, and the early scenes before high school are amusing, but to no avail. This is really bad and even the funny parts can't stop the calvacade of detritus from pouring down.

1.8 out of 5. Perhaps I'm being unfair but Adam can do so much better.

Flat out stupid...

Author: Yonhap S from Philippines
1 August 1999

This is Adam Sandler's first major movie and I have to say this is the worst of his movies I've seen. Plenty of jokes fall flat, some things suddenly happen you can't understand (like the examples one imdb user noted: Miss Lippy and glue, sloppy joe, dead clown). I can't even understand Sandler's character. It's hard to connect with Billy Madison.

The academic decathlon challenge also fell flat. It's as if it's some lame plot device the writers thought up just to finish the movie.

1.5 of 5 stars