IMDb > Before You Go (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Before You Go More at IMDbPro »

Film captures the universal through individual experience

Author: ar_foster from United States
25 March 2005

Twelve years ago, my ex-husband died from AIDS-related complications; he left our thirteen year-old daughter alone. He had rather than a new partner - a second wife. But because of my daughter, I was drawn in to care for him for several months before he died. I, like the first wife here, made an active decision to let go of the past.

There were dozens of parallels captured in this remarkably sensitive and astutely filmed memoir that may or may not have been real, but were made possible in my imagination due to the incredible intimacy of the film maker and her subjects.

The reality of the father holding on to his secrets to the end is also familiar, even though he felt so close to his daughter.

All I can say is that the tempo, mood, lighting, sound, choice of footage, subjects and characters, were so right on, so charismatic, and so essential to report in the never-ending struggle of AIDS; as is the story of children of all ages losing parent(s) to a disease often caused by an expression of love.

I would like to see more by this woman.

Touching

Author: FesterSam from Fountain Valley, CA
31 August 2001

The last year of a man's life as seen through the eyes of his daughter. A family gathers to help care for their terminal father, son, brother. Jeffrey Betancourt is loved by his family and they try to become closer during the last days. They don't waste the time they have. I've seen it twice, cried twice. As a heterosexual, it changed my outlook on homosexuality. To show me what is right in the world. I feel Nicole's loss.

A labor of love that details a legacy of loss and redemption

Author: Christopher T. Chase (cchase@onebox.com) from Arlington, VA.
20 February 2000

It's tragic that Nicole could only get to be closer to her dad in the last few months before his death due to complications from AIDS. But out of the tragedy comes a beautiful cinematic composition of a life, warts and all, and the various reactions and support that he receives (or not) from different family members, ranging from his ex-wife (Nicole's mom) to his own mother.

Yet another worthy effort that succeeds in pulling back the curtain of dry AIDS-related statistics, and puts a human face on an epidemic that is far from over. Hopefully, Nicole found some satisfaction in the surety that those who could not or would not understand how this disease affects us all, will do so once they've seen BEFORE YOU GO, unless they simply do not have a heart.

A lovely elegy

Author: Thomas Bock (nolte) from Omaha NE
24 December 1999

A lovely elegy from a daughter to her fifty-year old father dying of AID's. Every father should have a daughter as devoted to, and caring of the memory of the father she is losing. I just wish Nicole Betancourt could have found peace at his loss.

Knowing the Betancourts

Author: jennui from United States
2 December 2007

I knew Jeff, Jeanne, and Nicole in Park Slope when my ex-husband taught with Jeanne and we were all rehabbing brownstones. I was stunned one evening to turn on the TV and see Jeff being interviewed...and further devastated by the subject matter of the short film as I watched in disbelief. Jeff was always an elusive sort of personality, Jeanne rather driven, Nicole absolutely adorable. I had a feeling that Jeff was gay and that, with her rather sheltered background, Jeanne was unaware. It's remarkable that, with Jeanne's background in film, and Jeff's AIDS, that both parents were able to give to their daughter an incredible opportunity, and that Nicole turned this opportunity into a vision that will long affect anyone who views her film.