IMDb > Batman Forever (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Forever

Batman Forever More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 53: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Great film lots of good acting

Author: hamham100 from United Kingdom
5 October 2005

i thought this was a great film. The Ridler (Jim Carry) was very good at his part i thought Dick Gracen/Robin (chris O'Donnell) Played his part with great enthusiasm it was an enjoyable action comedy film that deserves high ratings. The riddles were very well done. When i watched this film for the 1st time i wanted to watch it again straight afterwards. The bat mobile, Bat wing and bat boat were very cool. This is a film anyone can enjoy it makes you laugh and the villains were the best part, Ridler and two face (Jim carry and tommy lee Jones) and Dr. chase Maridian played her part with spirit as well. But Batman did hi part very very well playing the billionaire Bruce Wayne and the Darknight wanting to live harmoniously it was very interesting. i would recommend this film to lots of people of all ages

And we have a comedy…

Author: Michael DeZubiria ( from Luoyang, China
25 October 2004

At the time Batman Forever was released I think I was in the height of my Jim-Carry fanatic days, which explains why I was so fixated on his performance in the movie but begs the question of why I never bothered to see the film until yesterday, almost a decade after it was originally released. At any rate, I continue to be impressed with the powerful casts that these Batman films generate, even Batman Begins, set to release next year, has such heavyweights as Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson. Since Batman Returns was not exactly greeted with open arms by the Burton-loving public, I'm glad to see that this franchise is still making some pretty big splashes.

Oddly enough, since I am a huge fan of Tommy Lee Jones, I was not particularly impressed with his performance. I guess his character in Under Siege is about as over-the-top as I like to see him go as a bad guy, and needless to say, Two-Face is WAY more over the top than the curiously named William Stranix. Tommy Lee Jones generally plays characters relentlessly after some truth, whether it be the massive cliché of world domination, as in the case here in Batman Forever (okay, GOTHAM domination, but keep in mind that in the Batman series, Gotham City is a planet in itself, like Detroit in the RoboCop movies) or, more commonly, justice, as in The Fugitive, The Client, Rules of Engagement, even The Missing and The Hunted, to a certain extent. In Batman Forever, he's insane, and despite his energy and his speed as an actor, he doesn't do this kind of crazy very well.

Jim Carrey, on the other hand, I can't say enough about. He plays exactly the same geek that Michelle Pfeiffer played in Batman Returns and exactly the same geek that Uma Thurman will play in Batman & Robin, but his portrayal of The Riddler is one of those rare instances where it seems that the character was originally invented for a movie to be made just so that this one actor can play that role. He is provided lines that allow him to stretch his considerably stretchable face ('What a RUSH!') as well as some that allow him to do some of his slapstick stand-up comedy ('A flock of freakin' Freuds!'). Sure, he has a long way to go before The Truman Show and the spectacular but massively overlooked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I can't help thinking that it's a testament to his acting skills that he can be so funny in a movie and yet provide a better villain than Tommy Lee Jones did, and Jones' character tried to burn Batman in a giant capsule filled with acid.

I like Val Kilmer as Batman, but he is too much of a subtle actor to play an action hero. He's always got a lot going on beneath the surface in his roles, but all too often those things tend to be not so positive (see Tombstone and The Saint). Nevertheless, he fills the Batsuit and the role quite nicely, but it's still hard to follow two performances by Michael Keaton, who is also simply too good as Batman to be replaced. There were times when I thought it might have been better had the movie not even been made, but Jim Carrey's performance alone always changes my mind about that. Kilmer is capable of pulling off the role, but it's unfortunate that he had the double-whammy of having such a tough act to follow and, on top of that, being faced with the monumental task of getting people to look past the debut of the Bat-nipples.

It's pretty easy to see why the comedic content of the second Batman sequel was enhanced so much, since Batman Returns was so dark and so gloomy that it surely dimmed the interest in the series. Director Joel Schumacher smartly realizes that superheroes in movies as dark as Batman Returns are still superheroes, but they are superheroes in the dark. Even Batman's great heroics couldn't remove him from the atmosphere of the rest of the movie. Now we get Jim Carrey, the staggeringly beautiful Nicole Kidman as the new Kim Basinger, and Two-Face, a hardened villain but one who laughs almost as much as the Joker. And it's good that there are such powerful side-characters, because the villains and the love interest are more important to the Batman films than Batman himself, who tends to be moody and self-reserved no matter who plays him or who directs. It is significant that with four Batman movies currently in release, we still don't know much about him other than that his parents were murdered right in front of him and he has lots and LOTS of money.

Chris O'Donnell plays Robin, the largest character from the original comics to have been left out for this long. He fits the role well, but there are some moments in which the writing of his character is not given a lot of thought. I can understand that he is emotionally conflicted with not having been able to save the lives of his family members that died in the circus attack, but lamenting himself as a total failure is still laughable, even in the situation, since at the time he personally pushed a bomb that must have weighed hundreds of pounds out the roof of the circus tent and into the river, literally saving hundreds of lives. Then again, losing family is not an easy thing to get over, and it gives him a good reason to act like a jerk when Bruce Wayne is offering him free room and board in his cavernous mansion.

Robin's character is really brought into play in this movie mostly to introduce him to the franchise and briefly introduce the conflicts that will erupt between him and Batman in greater detail and scope in Batman & Robin, which focuses largely on their relationship and their troubles working together, especially against a villain bent on turning them against each other. We learn enough about him in this movie to know that he comes from a life as an acrobat in the circus where he experienced familial tragedies similar to Wayne's own and that he loves motorcycles, but Dick Grayson doesn't become Robin until just long enough for he and Batman to team up against Two Face and The Riddler and then set the stage for Batman & Robin.

Batman has now taken on a new actor, a new partner, a new director, and a new tone. The movie has lightened up more than a little bit, but the outrageous comic book villains are back, the action is emphasized over the noir atmosphere, and the movie has certainly taken some hints from its predecessor. Note: I don't normally do this, but the soundtrack is also excellent, especially for a soundtrack composed mainly of trendy songs, which I generally don't like. See, for example, the song 'Fun For Me,' by Moloko. Great stuff.

Viva Gotham City

Author: fritz2525 from Toronto, Canada
5 August 2002

(.o.) This movie is really good. I've seen this movie a bunch of time and I never get tired of watching it. It's kinda nice to see Batman with two enemies not just one, 'cause if there's more than one. There is a lot of suspense, you just never know what will happen, if those two villains will be in the same thing or just go their separate ways but still one goal which is to kill Batman. Unlike the two previous movies, this time he's got a partner. Robin, played by Chris O'Donnell. They picked the right person to play Robin. The acrobats he did is really cool. Tommy Lee Jones did a wonderful job being the TWO FACE guy. The question mark person/the whacko one, Jim Carrey is really funny. He's a great actor who can play the good or the bad guy and still his funny side has never disappeared. He is one of my favorite actors and he really is unique. Drew Barrymore didn't do a lot of stuff in this movie but that still made the movie more better. The more stars in it, the more people will watch it. Nicole Kidman's part is a little boring but that's okay I don't really care. The special effects were great, the crew did a wonderful job and I hope they make another movie "Batman & Robin". For all Batman fans, this movie should be on your list. Buy it or rent it, it's worth it. I give this movie a perfect 10.

The best one yet!

Author: sarakitty05
31 July 2012

Honestly, I don't know why people ripped on this movie.

It packed the most action, it packed some really great actors and it had the most comedic scenes yet.

Val Kilmer was yet another great Batman. Although I think I prefer Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne, I think the prize for the better Batman goes to him. He had some very great lines! Chris I love that guy. I found he played a great rebel, someone who didn't follow the rules, someone brooding and angry. I'm excited he's Robin. This is one of the reasons I thoroughly enjoy the next Batman film.

Jim Carrey as the Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face were pure comedic gold. They gave me many many laughs and I loved their little bromance. Epic part of this movie.

Nicole Kidman was alright. Although I do think I prefer the first two females more.

Finally, the makeup and costumes were great in this film. A+! Don't listen to the negative critics. Watch it first. Because you never know, you could be like me, and think they are all a bunch of complainers for nothing!

a winner!

Author: Emilie from Wisconsin
10 January 2004

after viewing the batman returns, this one does do a world of good to follow that one. using a new batman for every film does do the mystery a great deal of good, however, the female roles should be given a little more thought, then just throwing in nicole kidman. that one really was a messup, since she doesnt fit the qualities to make the female role. those qualities, in my opinion, consist of 2 things: a certain kind of *umph* and she always should be a good actress, so she can sell the performance to the audience. that performance is really iffy, and she just looked like she was forced into the part, just for the cash. she wasnt as good as michelle, but she is pretty. that's all she was. I thought maybe they should have looked into calling katie holmes or tara reid. that's just me. the evil guys really rocked, and added to the main performances of batman, and the sidekick, robin. robin, chris o'donnell was the right choice for batman. maybe if he had the hair short and parted like burt ward from the 60's, he would have been identical to the original tv series robin. the riddler was always obsessed with wearing the color green, which green i thought means greed, and he does appear greedy (**SPOILER**) since he wants all the knowledge in gotham city with that weird thing that looks like a hourglass. the makeup was super on two-face, tommy, i send you kudos. this is a great third edition to the batman series. it makes you wanna break out in costume and wear your leather batman outfit..well, kinda. (A- B+)

the worst Batman film

Author: dr_foreman from Brooklyn, NY
10 July 2004

At least "Batman & Robin" can be laughed at for the camp classic that it is. "Batman Forever" masquerades as a decent movie, but it falls so far short that it earns a much larger share of my hatred. It does my heart good to see that, with the passage of time, people are finally realizing that the much-maligned "Batman Returns" eats this turkey for breakfast.

There's so much to hate about this movie. Carrey is just awful as the Riddler; his crotch-hugging costume is tacky, his shouting grates on the nerves, and you know what? He doesn't even come up with too many riddles. Tommy Lee Jones is equally awful as Two-Face, as he mugs and hollers in a vain attempt to keep pace with his insane co-star. His character is poorly written, too; Two-Face always abides by the decision his coin makes, and he would never flip and re-flip it to get a certain result, as he does in this movie. Believe it or not, that little sequence changes - and ruins - the entire character. The plot stinks, too, as the Riddler is apparently trying to control everyone's minds with what appears to be a big blender.

Complete with garish costumes, neon lights, and bombastic music, "Batman Forever" is certainly the best headache-inducer out there, but it's not a good comic book movie even though it struggles valiantly to capture the right "feel." Joel Schumacher, who also directed the equally tacky "Phone Booth," is rightfully lambasted for ruining the Batman franchise after two pretty strong initial entries. Bad...just really bad...

Fun, that's the whole point

Author: Angry_Arguer from Shermer, Illinois
4 October 2002

Batman Forever lacks the outright depressing, darkened mood of the first two. Good! After Batman Returns I didn't know how much more decadent they could get, with so much lack of lighting I was having a hard time just WATCHING the movies. As far as Batman himself I am happy to say that Val Kilmer is NOT Michael Keaton or Adam West. They were ok for the job but were just too wooden and monolithic for their actions. With Kilmer we get a much more fluid Batman who doesn't seem to lag around like Keaton's did. Speed is what he does best...and he does it! The supporting protagonists do the meager, ok job they need to keep this film acceptable. It is nice to see Dick Grayson ditch that sickeningly awful "Robin" outfit a la 1966 and get a REAL superhero suit. THE VILLAINS! No Batman movie would be complete without them! Tommy Lee Jones is ok as Two-Face and his presence holds on until Jim Carrey--master of dancing around and acting like the modern, much cooler Jerry Lewis--slides in as the Riddler. Like Nicholson in the first, Carrey holds our attention with his shenanigans (even if they annoy us) and make the movie a bit more fun. That's the whole point. When we go to a Batman movie, we aren't expecting "The Godfather" or "Citizen Kane". We want to be entertained to the MAX and this movie does just that with a hint of glitz and a lot more style than Batman 2 did. Remember how it took over half an hour for us to get around to observing Keaton as Bruce Wayne in that one? I think these two are tied for second. By all means avoid Batman & Robin! You will be utterly disappointed with George "ER" Clooney, Arnold "Jingle all the Way" Scwarzenegger, Uma "the Avengers" Thurman, and everything else in that piece of garbage.

Now I liked this 3rd Batman

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
29 September 2004

Batman Forever is a good sequel and is a very fun film to experience. I enjoyed this movie a lot. A lot of people say this is like the biggest disappointment to the Batman franchise, but it isn't. I honestly don't think this should get a 5.4 rating either. This film is better than the 2nd Batman to my opinion. Oh well, Val Kilmer was good as Batman, not better than Michael Keaton but was still good. The bad guy characters were good and funny and the action was very awesome. There was some corny acting but that doesn't make this movie bad, I mean all superhero films have bad dialouge besides the 1st Batman. I highly recommend this movie and this is sure entertaining. Don't go with the critics on IMDb for this one, go with people that like it.

Hedeen's outlook: 8/10 *** B

Great installment. 2nd best in the series

Author: Davis P from United States
5 March 2015

In my opinion, this installment is the 2nd best in the franchise. It's not quite as good as Batman Returns, almost but not quite. I do love the fresh colorful change of pace that Joel brings to the screen. I honestly don't know why people hate this movie is disliked by some. I really don't like it when Hollywood makes gritty portrayals of movies. This movie is fun and colorful and I love the characters in this movie. Dr. Chase (Nicole Kidman) is a fantastic character, sexy and likable. I couldn't have loved Chris Odonnel more as Robin. I would've hated it if they would've gotten some kid to play him, that would've sucked. I think Jim Carrey was born to play the Riddler, same goes with Tommy Lee Jones. Also, omg the score for this movie was great!!! I like the music in this movie soo much better than the Burton films. I think the music fits Batman perfectly.

My Favorite of the First-Generation Batman Movies

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
28 February 2015

It's a widely accepted fact that Joel Schumacher was the man that nearly destroyed Batman's credibility until Christopher Nolan came along in 2005 and rejuvenated the character's film life with BATMAN BEGINS. I completely agree that BATMAN & ROBIN is the literally the worst thing to have ever happened to the Caped Crusader but, if I'm going to be honest, Schumacher's first Batman movie wasn't…horrible. Maybe it's the nostalgia, but I actually still enjoy BATMAN FOREVER. It was the first Batman movie I saw in theaters, it features two of my favorite villains, and it hadn't quite fallen to the depressing level of camp that its 1997 sequel would bring. It still had major problems but, even now, they aren't enough to ruin my enjoyment. The plot, for instance, feels like something ripped from the 60's TV series: as it begins, Gotham is being terrorized by former district attorney Harvey Dent, living under his new criminal persona Two- Face (Tommy Lee Jones). As if Two-Face wasn't enough of an problem, disgruntled former Wayne Enterprises employee Edward Nygma has developed a dangerous new technology capable of harvesting the city's brainwaves and channeling them into his own mind, increasing his intelligence exponentially. Under his new guise as the Riddler (Jim Carrey), he forms an alliance with Two-Face to seek vengeance on Bruce Wayne (Val Kilmer) and discover the true identity of Batman. To battle the double menace, Batman forms a new partnership with Dick "Robin" Grayson (Chris O'Donnell), a young circus acrobat whose family had been murdered by Two-Face.

Michael Keaton had stepped away from the franchise at this point and was replaced in the cape and cowl by Val Kilmer. Kilmer, while amazing as Jim Morrison in THE DOORS, made for a wooden Bruce Wayne. He does little in the way of emoting the entire movie, rarely bothering to so much as raise his voice above a low rumble. Chris O'Donnell joins the series as Dick Grayson/Robin. O'Donnell makes out best, as his character has the only real defined arc. Wayne has got a minor subplot about coming to grips with his parents' deaths and embracing his role as Batman but it barely receives any attention. Robin, on the other hand, is hunting Two-Face on a personal vendetta. There are obvious parallels between Wayne and Grayson's stories but little is made of it. Nicole Kidman is Chase Meridian, a caricature who exists only to drool over Batman. She's supposed to be a criminal psychologist but you wouldn't know it because, from the moment she's introduced, she spends 99% of her time trying to get into Batman's codpiece. The villains fare better(ish). Tommy Lee Jones wastes an opportunity to make Two-Face into the truly awesome character he should be. Instead, he takes a cue from Jack Nicholson's Joker and cranks it up to 11, cackling and howling through the entire movie. The one character that really worked for me was Jim Carrey as the Riddler. He's definitely got some Frank Gorshin incorporated into his performance, and I loved Gorshin's Riddler when I watched the 60's TV show as a kid. He's way, way, way over the top in a way that only Carrey can do but it (mostly) works and he's a scene-stealer.

To match the new campier direction the movie delves into, Joel Schumacher also ditches Burton's grim, atmospheric Gotham in exchange for bright colored lights and neon paint. BATMAN FOREVER is a total tonal shift from the two movies that came before. I loved Burton's visual take on Gotham City but Schumacher's new style never bothered me in this movie. Again, it might just be nostalgia bit I'm willing to give this movie more of a break than, say, the raging pile of disappointment that is BATMAN & ROBIN. BATMAN FOREVER still retains some semblance of a serious attitude about the material and creates a functional balance between zaniness and a grounded reality. I can't imagine this is a popular opinion but BATMAN FOREVER is probably my favorite of the original generation of Batman movies (the Burton and Schumacher films). It has major flaws (lazy writing and poorly developed characters) but it's fun. And for me, that counts for quite a bit. I'm rarely bored during BATMAN FOREVER. The action is shot well, the production design is pretty cool, and Jim Carrey owns it as the Riddler. You've certainly got to lower your standards for this one but BATMAN FOREVER is better than I think most people believe. But, you know, stop with this one. For the sake of your sanity, don't follow it into the 1997 Schumacher sequel.