Batman Forever (1995) Poster

The beginning of the end
mjw230514 February 2006
Batman forever fails to follow in the footsteps of the first 2 movies, after Tim Burton and Michael Keaton were replaced with with Joel Schumacher and Val Kilmer. Schumachers approach is too comical and Gotham has lost the sinister ora that Burton created, Val Kilmer is OK as the bat, and he certainly helps save the film from total disaster.

All the other characters are new, Nicole Kidman (Dr. Chase Meridian) brings sex appeal, but her character delivers little more. Chris O'Donnell is introduced as Robin, and his martial arts antics do add something to the film. Tommy Lee Jones plays Two-Face and as usual his performance is decent, but the star of the show is Jim Carrey as the Riddler; his performance is both camp and eccentric, and it hits the mark brilliantly.

The problem with the movie, although i did enjoy it, is the total change in style; the backdrop of Gotham city is no longer dark and Gothic and the series is moving away from Batmans comic roots.

This was the beginning of the end, and it was followed by Batman and Robin. Thank god for Batman Begins.

107 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
And now for something completely different
Derek23715 November 2005
I loved the first two Batman movies, and honestly would have loved to see Burton go on to direct more entries in the series, but Joel Shumacher's Batman Forever is not at all an unwelcome change. I think some people recollect this film and automatically associate it with Shumacher's awful second Batman attempt, Batman & Robin. That is the bad movie. This is not. People also seem to forget how big of a hit it was. Artistically, there were things it got wrong and didn't do as well as the others, but there were things it did so much better, too. For one thing, this is the only 'Batman' with a decent soundtrack to its name (including 2 great songs by U2 and Seal).

In some ways you can look at this as a transition from the dark, tortured Batman to a Batman who has finally conquered his personal demons and gone on to be happier in being a man who fights crime in the night dressed up in rubber. For this one it was good, 'cause that's essentially how it ends, but the result of this led to the campy and just plain boring 4th episode.

But I really was surprised at how psychological of a movie Batman Forever is. I'm not saying it's particularly deep, but when you look at Edward Nygma's obsession with Bruce Wayne (stalking him, to imitating him right down to the mole), Harvey Dent's schizophrenia as Two-Face, and the fact that both Bruce Wayne AND Batman end up romancing the same psychologist is all enormously amusing. The romance isn't to be taken that lightly, though. I thought out of all 5 films Chase Meridian was Bruce's best girlfriend. The whole Vicky Vale relationship was pretty stale if you cut out all of the conflict with the Joker, and obviously Selina Kyle didn't work out so well for Bruce. Having this woman who could understand the mind of the tortured Bruce Wayne was a great idea, and I don't need to tell you that the gorgeous and talented Nicole Kidman pulled it off well.

Something I liked (and would have liked to have seen more of) was the competitive relationship between Bruce Wayne and Edward Nygma. They're enemies as Batman and The Riddler but also as regular people in everyday life. Take that scene at the Nygmatec Ball when Edward gloats about how well off he is, but Bruce is totally unflinching. Jim Carrey does a great job with a character that is so obsessed with this person; who idolizes him but hates him at the same time and is generally evil, but still can make us fall on the floor laughing.

This is a rousing and dynamic picture. It's basically the lighter side of being Batman. It was exciting with some great action sequences: I loved the end where both Robin and Chase are dropped and he saves them both. That piece of Elliot Goldenthal music when Batman finally grasps Robin's arm is excellent.

I liked Burton's 2 films and obviously Batman Begins better than Forever, but when you're in the right mood for it, it really is a fantastic movie that, if nothing else, thoroughly entertains.

My rating: 7/10
99 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as Batman and Batman Returns, but it's still a good movie
Kristine19 September 2002
Personally, I just enjoyed the first Batman the best, I think a lot of us did. But that doesn't mean this was a bad installment to the "Batman" series, it's actually very decent worth more than one look. We do have a new but every exceptional Batman, Val Kilmer, who has a tough role to fit into after the great performances Michael Keaton brought. Nicole Kidman plays Chase, a beautiful and intelligent scientist who has the hots for Batman more than Bruce, she does a great job and looks so sexy! Jim Carrey, the master of comedy, takes the role of The Riddler, only he can bring the true comic relief and was a great choice. Tommy Lee Jones, as Two Face, was also great and so believable as a scary villain. Last but not least, Chris O'donnel as the wimsical, but more serious than anything version of Robin. The dynamic duo are finally put together for this masterpiece of a sequel!

Batman is now fighting Two Face, or Harvey Dent, who was brutally scarred on one side of his face in a court case of his when he was a lawyer. When he fails one night to successfully capture Two Face, he meets Dr. Chase Meridian, a beautiful scientist and journalist. She is just fascinated with him and it's almost love at first sight for her. Batman of course is falling for her, but is playing hard to get. When Bruce Wayne makes a move on her though, she accepts and they attend a charity circus together, they see the Flying Gracins, a family of flying acrobats, but when the party is interrupted by Two Face and he demands to find out the true identity of Batman otherwise he'll set off a bomb in the circus! When the Gracins try to stop it and Dick Gracin, the youngest flying member goes his separate way to stop it himself, the family is on top of some very high up beams and wire which Two Face stops them by shooting the wires causing the Gracins to fall down to their deaths in front of everyone. When Dick stops the bomb, he is too late to see his family lying dead on the floor.

He comes to live with Bruce and wants revenge on Two Face and promises death and justice! It's not too soon that he discovers that Bruce is Batman and wants to be him at first, but then decides that he shouldn't take over but they should become partners! Batman refuses knowing that it's too dangerous; he continues his affair with Chase. But there is a new problem, an angry employee, Edward Nygmam, at Bruce's business now wants to destroy Batman and become evil! Who better to join up with than Two Face? He also has a machine that can read a person's mind and makes it tell the person's deepest darkest secrets. When Bruce comes to a party after Edward is successful in selling these machines, he tempts Bruce into the biggest machine of all and finds out what Bruce has been hiding for so long. When Batman and Chase are together, she confesses to Batman that she is now falling for Bruce. When she and Bruce have a get together, he wishes to tell her the truth, you know a little bit before this scene he said to Alfred "I've never been in love before", what happened to Vicki Vale and Catwoman? I always wondered that! But anyways, Two Face's gang kidnaps Chase and now Bruce must save her, but his bat cave has been destroyed by The Riddler! With the riddles that Edward sent to Bruce as clues, he and Alfred put everything together and know that it's not going to be easy to defeat this powerful team, that's where Dick comes in, or now known as Robin! Can the dynamic duo save Chase in time and save the world from getting their brains sucked into The Riddler's and can Robin get the revenge he's wanted for so long with Two Face?

Batman Forever is a fantastic installation into the Batman series. I would highly recommend it! It's got action, romance, drama, comedy, and great sets! Among a fantastic soundtrack featuring U2 and Seal's famous "Kiss from a Rose". It's a good movie and should be seen by every Batman fan!

116 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than most people remember.
Thatman9517 May 2001
While the Batman franchise has been much maligned in recent years due to the disappointing performance of the last live-action film, Forever was second in quality only to the first Bat-film. It added color back into a Gotham that had gotten way too claustrophobic, and brought the tone back to something resembling the comics. Jim Carrey is a scene-stealer and dead on as The Riddler, and Val Kilmer is the perfect Bruce Wayne and Batman. Tommy Lee Jones does a great turn as Two-Face, unfortunately he isn't given enough to do and therefore comes across too cartoony, minus the angst of the character in the comics. One other big complaint is the new score - gone are Danny Elfman's orchestrations. Elliot Goldenthal's music would have been fine if not for his predecessor. Most people tend to lump this one in the 'lousy' section, it seems, but it was one of the biggest movies of '95 and a very faithful adaption overall. Now if they'd only release the director's cut
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Beginning Of The End
ReelCheese13 June 2006
It was clear the beginning of the end of the original series had arrived when the mediocre BATMAN FOREVER swooped into the box office. This hugely disappointing third entry lacks Michael Keaton, Tim Burton and a whole lot of other stuff.

The Caped Crusader (Val Kilmer) must once again save Gotham City from evil, this time in the form of the psychotic Two Face (Tommy Lee Jones) and the twisted Riddler (Jim Carrey in a particularly annoying performance). Along the way he finally teams up with sidekick Robin (Chris O'Donnell), makes a hot blonde psychologist (Nicole Kidman) weak in the knees, and tries out a few new (mostly lame) Bat Toys.

Many critics loved BATMAN FOREVER for its departure from the darkness of the first two entries. But this new "Batman light" doesn't work nearly as well. The characters are quite irritating, and the film tries to squeeze in far too much. Did we really need two villains again, particularly with Robin entering the picture? As imperfect as it is, it's a masterpiece compared to what followed two years later.
66 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably the best one yet.
mirosuionitsaki222 December 2009
I don't know about you, but I truly enjoyed this movie. It actually made me more excited than the previous two. It was very silly, and it was quite a surprise to see Drew Barrymore on the set, but not Jim Carrey seeing how he was on the actual cover of the movie.

After a circus accident, Robin wants revenge for Two-face for killing his whole family, and he happens to stay with Bruce Wayne and break into his bat lair and steals his car. Amazing. He now has to convince Batman or Bruce Wayne to let him join him.. or them. Same people, you know.

I have to say that this is a very underrated film, but then again, I can see how people can hate it. It can be a little bit too silly, the idea of the heroic and epic Batman having a silly sidekick is kind of ridiculous, but who cares? Try it out, check it out.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Colorful and highly entertaining sequel. It's a shame how many people, tend to underrate this film.
callanvass24 January 2010
Batman Forever is a hoot of a sequel!. There are so many colorful characters, and wonderfully entertaining action sequences, I couldn't help but enjoy myself. Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey play fantastic villains, and often play off one another, beautifully. I also thought Val Kilmer did a very adequate job as Batman. While he's no Bale or even Keatman, Kilmer did a commendable job as Batman, despite his criticism. I also liked the playful tone it had a lot of the time, it was a refreshing departure from the very dark 1st two. I think die hard fans were angry at the time, because Keaton wasn't cast, therefore there mind had already been made up on this film, because I really don't see what there isn't too enjoy about this film. It has an above average batman, tremendous action, a good love story, and most importantly it has the smarts it needs to succeed.

Performances. I'm not Val Kilmer's biggest fan, but he is a steady Batman in my opinion. He had a bold task, by playing the famous crusader. Val surprisingly has the charisma to succeed as Batman, which really surprised me, believe me. His chemistry with Kidman was very good, as well. Tommy Lee Jones&Jim Carrey are terrific, hammy villains. They play off one another wonderfully, and gave an entertaining show. Nicole Kidman is very sexy, and played her mysterious, yet classy role as the Dr. well. Chris O'Donnell is a big annoyance, and hampered the film somewhat as Robin, I wanted to slap him one. Michael Gough is once again Class as Alfred, but by now he can do this in his sleep. Barrymore and Mazar do well in there respective roles.

Bottom line. Batman Forever is an immensely entertaining sequel. I loved every minute of it, and rank it as one of the more underrated sequels in the series. Ignore the 5.4 rating, and give this one a chance, you might love it like I did!.

8 1/2 10
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's Time to Retire, Mr. Schumacher
Link_Tristan24 July 2005
Batman Forever is the third installment for Warner Bros. Batman franchise, only Tim Burton and Michael Keaton decided to jump ship, so now we're stuck with Joel Schumacher, Val Kilmer and writing so campy it'll make you want to pitch a tent and make some s'mores. What we see in this film is a systematic destruction of absolutely everything that made the first two Batman films so popular.

Kidman and Kilmer have been great in other films like "Moulin Rouge" and "Tombstone," but Joel is simply incapable of getting any good performances out of his actors. Don't believe me? There's a scene where Kidman's character tells Batman to meet her at her place at midnight. Even though she's expecting company, she decides to sleep in the nude before he shows up. I can understand her character trying to seduce Batman, but why go to bed and fall asleep while you're expecting company? Just listen to her character's inner conflict when she says "I can't believe it. I've imagined this moment since I first saw you... and now I have you and... guess a girl has to grow up sometime." I guess I can't blame Kidman on doing the best with the crap she was given. Someone needs to fire Mr. Script Writer.

Joel, in the tradition of Burton's previous Batman film, decided to use two villains at once: the Riddler and Two-Face. Personally, I wonder why the director would want to use two villains when he can't get one character right.

In previous Batman films, the villains were layered characters. The Joker was back-stabbed in a set up, Catwoman was in a mid-life crisis and sick of being taken advantage of, and the Penguin was a social outcast playing the sympathy card so he could get revenge on Gotham. While these character motives are little more than "I want revenge" at least it's something. Joel enjoys making the villains of his Batman films silly cardboard cutouts which don't make any sense at all.

Joel turned Harvey Two-Face, a steely, no-nonsense crime boss, into a laughing idiot that hops up and down whenever he blows something up. There's a quick twenty second explanation of how Harvey Dent had acid thrown on him during a trial, so he swore revenge on Batman... what? Batman didn't throw the acid. Two-Face is pretty much Tommy Lee Jones copying Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker, except with different makeup, and the Riddler isn't far behind. Jim Carrey was acting like... well... Jim Carrey. As "good" as Carrey's performance might be, there's really no room for non-sequitur dance sequences and goofy voices to be thrown into the middle of a scene-- but that's what Jim is good at doing, I guess. As for Edward Nigma, they briefly explained how he became the Ridler (he was fired from his job, I know that tends to make people become super-villains), but never explained why he likes making riddles. His master plan: become the smartest man alive by reading the minds of Gotham's citizens and then... and then... uh... well, it doesn't matter because we all know Batman will save the day.

As if a poorly done treatment for Two-Face and the Riddler, and a poorly done romance subplot added into the mix weren't enough, we have another poorly done subplot thrown in: Robin! The most hated side-kick in the world. Joel introduce Robin as a character who wants revenge on Two-Face and offers absolutely nothing else significant to the story. There's not much to say about Robin, except that he kicks ass at doing laundry. He's just eye-candy so the ladies (and Joel) have someone to swoon over in this poor excuse for an action film.

The biggest crime in Gotham was how Joel rebuilt the city. He demolished Burton's Gothic atmosphere and added colored lights and large bronze statues to turn the desolate wasteland of a city into a sparkling Las Vegas wonderland. He also introduced the phosperhous gang, a group of guys who glow in the dark and play heavy metal music... drug trafficking never looked so fabulous! Big naked man statues, face-painting gangs, and rubber nipples summarize everything that Joel has added to the franchise.

I've heard some arguments standing up on Joel's defense, claiming that the movie would've been better with the deleted scenes put back in. Namely, two scenes: one which shows TwoFace escaping from Arkham, writing some sort of anti-Bat message in a victim's blood, and other scene where Bruce gets amnesia and has to remember why he's Batman. The first scene was supposedly cut for being too scary for kids, but I can safely say that it was filmed and edited to fit into the rest of this crap fest perfectly. And the amnesia scene was utter crap. Honestly: AMNESIA. As if a bullet grazing Bruce's forehead and causing amnesia isn't far fetched enough, how about the fact that he cures it in under five minutes? That scene wasn't cut for being too dark, or too slow, it was cut for being too stupid.

It could be worse. You could be watching the next installment "Batman and Robin." At least the plot for Batman Forever wasn't as poorly juggled as that movie. The worst you get with this movie is a bunch of clichés, poor acting, nonsensical moments (as in "why would only thirty or so members of the circus audience slowly form a circle to look at the the dead trapeze artists?"), and an undoing everything dark and dramatic that made the first two films good. What we're left with is a campy, kid-friendly movie that anyone with a brain can tell is just a cheap knock off of the first two Batman films.
262 out of 448 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Batman Movie
movieguy8100716 January 2007
Batman Forever is a good Batman movie maybe not the best. Val Kilmer does a good job as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Chris O'Donnell does a good job as Robin, Jim Carrey does a good job as The Riddler, Tommy Lee Jones does a good job as Two-Face, and Nicole Kidman does a good job too. This film got nominated for Best Cinematography and it deserves it. This movie was well directed by Joel Shumacher. This movie has great action and humor. This film is a ride to watch. This movie also has great sound and visual effects. The first time I saw this movie I hated it and then it grew on me. This movie had a lot of bad reviews but I liked it any way. I thought this movie was better than Batman Returns.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jim Carrey stole the show
Lee Eisenberg23 July 2005
Some people talk about "the stick of straw that broke the camel's back", meaning when something reached the tipping point. So when did the Batman franchise go bad? Well, "Batman Forever" was getting silly, but it still had Jim Carrey to steal the show as The Riddler ("Batman and Robin" had about as many good qualities as a barrel of toxic waste). Personally, I don't know why they had to have Batman (Val Kilmer) going through therapy; remove that and he still would have been a cool superhero with neat gadgets. Tommy Lee Jones wasn't bad as Two-Face. Nicole Kidman and Chris O'Donnell, as Dr. Chase Meridian and Robin, respectively, didn't really add anything.

Overall, the point is that when Joel Schumacher took over directing, the franchise went downhill. Part of the problem was that while Tim Burton created an eerie Gotham City that looked like New York in the 1940s, Joel Schumacher created a Gotham City that looked like it was trying too hard to be "Blade Runner".

So, the franchise starting getting stale with this one, but Jim Carrey kept the movie from being unwatchable. As Edward Nygma, one of Bruce Wayne's employees, he had some great lines. In the movie, Nygma proposes a device that rests atop TV sets and reads peoples' minds, but Wayne rejects it, considering it too dangerous. Thus, Nygma becomes The Riddler, and he's the best character in the movie.
83 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Batman tries to handle his dual identity, mentor a young Robin, and battle two unusual villains
babyfir773 July 2004
I found this third feature in the series the most exciting. Mainly because of the way the characters are all integrated into the story with just about even screen time (it appears anyway). Val Kilmer's Batman/ Bruce Wayne is very serious and major steps above George Cooney's rendition.

Kilmer is believable. The origin of Robin is handled well and the introduction of Two Face (Tommy Lee Jones) and the Riddler (Jim Carrey) is well done. Both actors are well over the top in their performances and are aided by very explosive special effects. Finally to round out the quintet is the lovely Nicole Kidman as a renowned pyschologist (psychiatrist?) who is this movie's love interest.

The battle scenes are exciting and the movie doesn't have any dull moments. There definitely is not a "Tim Burton" feel to the movie, outside of the psyches of the characters. The humor his the right tempo and doesn't go totally on the stupid side as in the later BATMAN AND ROBIN. It is one movie that has a great opening and a great ending, like those good old James Bond films.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best of the series
nutz4n6415 January 2000
I don't know why people are bashing this movie, but I thought it was very good. Val Kilmer was good. Tommy Lee Jones played his part of Two Face very well, but Jim Carrey is the one that truly shines. His performance makes this one worth seeing as he adds a lot of humor. I see people complaining that this one isn't as dark as the first two. I in no way see that as a handicap. It seemed a bit more glorious, and Batman had a very good image, but still had the flashbacks of his parents' death.

Great movie.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Of My Favorites
don200726 January 2007
Although this movie might not be the best ever made, I loved it as a child, and cannot let go of the memories of this film. This film has a unique theme (music, set, characters, environments) that newer film just don't have. The whole bat cave invasion was a all time favorite. And seeing Batman & Robin partnering up is another. I love the score and just get minor flashback of the old days when I hear it. Say what you want about this film. It was loved when it came out, and shouldn't be hated, now that something better came out. I love this film and no matter what they say, I'm rolling with this film until its no more. Val Kilmer & Chris O'Donnell needs to do it again. 95 + Batman = Classic
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Viva Gotham City
fritz25255 August 2002
(.o.) This movie is really good. I've seen this movie a bunch of time and I never get tired of watching it. It's kinda nice to see Batman with two enemies not just one, 'cause if there's more than one. There is a lot of suspense, you just never know what will happen, if those two villains will be in the same thing or just go their separate ways but still one goal which is to kill Batman. Unlike the two previous movies, this time he's got a partner. Robin, played by Chris O'Donnell. They picked the right person to play Robin. The acrobats he did is really cool. Tommy Lee Jones did a wonderful job being the TWO FACE guy. The question mark person/the whacko one, Jim Carrey is really funny. He's a great actor who can play the good or the bad guy and still his funny side has never disappeared. He is one of my favorite actors and he really is unique. Drew Barrymore didn't do a lot of stuff in this movie but that still made the movie more better. The more stars in it, the more people will watch it. Nicole Kidman's part is a little boring but that's okay I don't really care. The special effects were great, the crew did a wonderful job and I hope they make another movie "Batman & Robin". For all Batman fans, this movie should be on your list. Buy it or rent it, it's worth it. I give this movie a perfect 10.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Again, I liked it A LOT.
kevmoL737414 July 2006
Nicole Kidman? Excellent.

Jim Carrey? Psychotic, yet still excellent!

Tommy Lee-Jones? Again, psychotic, yet excellent!

Val Kilmer- Pretty Good!

Chris O'Donnell? Awesome as a kid with no family because they were taken away by Two-Face.

I also love this movie because of the excellent cast, brilliant writing, and just overall fun!

But thats just my rating, pretty much no one else thinks this movie is good, because it is a "superficial film"

I don't know about you, but when I go to see a movie, I don't think about it for about 5 hours and go, "What is wrong with this film, and how can I bash it?" I try to have fun, and I usually do.

16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Say what you will
the_headless_cross20 February 2008
But I consider this to be the best Batman movie. Well, to tell you the truth it was the very first one I watched, as I wasn't much of a Batman fan before. But when I learned Jim Carrey was playing the Riddler, I knew I had to see it. But I'm not just a fan now just because of Carrey, because overall this is a good super hero flick! Sure, the new Nolan movies are pretty good since they're expressing Batman in the dark nature he's supposed to be presented in, but you can't blame Schumacher for wanting to have a little fun with Batman (although I will admit he took it too far with Batman & Robin. What was the deal with that Bat credit card?). Val Kilmer, although not Michael Keaton at all, is still better than Clooney as Bruce Wayne/Batman (Clooney was just the guy from ER in a Bat suit, that's all!), does what he can with the role, and does pretty well. Although I've never been a fan of Robin, Chris O'Donnell presents the role very well, making me actually care about him. But the villains steal the show here. Carrey as the Riddler? Just plain rocks, that's all I can say. Tommy Lee Jones is normally a serious actor while the character of Two Face is normally a serious one, but Tommy has a lot of fun portraying this character and so do I!

And the other thing I enjoy about this is how well it balances the darkness and the humor. Batman should always be dark, (OK, we'll cut the Adam West show some slack) as he became that way because of the murder of his parents and same way with Robin. The scene where Bruce stands in front of the picture of his parents with the flashbacks of their deaths really stands out. And same way with Dick Grayson, with his wanting revenge on Two Face (what happened in the next movie, Chris?). Schumacher is pretty damn good when it comes to mixing these elements together (Lost Boys, anybody?)

So while it is not Batman Begins (or the Dark Knight, which I know will be awesome), give it a break since it's not Batman & Robin
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I think it's the best of the original Batman films.
Sirus_the_Virus25 August 2009
Most people would definitely disagree with me on this statement. But of the non Christopher Nolan Batman films, I like Batman Forever the most. Of course it's far from The Dark Knight or Batman Begins. That's why I say of the non-Christopher Nolan Batman films. There is something about Batman Forever that works very well. I know it doesn't have the creepiness or seriousness that the first two had. But in this film, we have Jim Carrey to lighten up the series. Carrey is probably what makes the movie for me. Any film that Carrey is in that is supposed to be serious turns out not to be. I am convinced that Tommy Lee Jones is a villain. I suppose Jim Carrey is villainous as The Riddler. Jim Carrey brings more of a mood the third time around. I know that some of the film is corny. But for some reason I like it more than both Batman and Batman Returns. I know Val Kilmer isn't as good as Michael Keaton. I know Joel Schumacher isn't as good as Tim Burton. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The Plot: Batman returns once again to stop The Villainous Two-Face and stop The Riddler from brainwashing everyone.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Action masterpiece no to be compared
Dockelektro23 December 2000
First one essential thing: this film is not really a sequel to any franchise. Actually, the only thing that links it to the Tim Burton works are the basic characters (like Batman, Alfred, Gordon and Gotham) and the fact that this is a Batman movie. But one thing should be once more told: one shall not start comparing. Because this is going to influence everything that ensues our analysis. People say that this movie is bad because Batman is a dark and Gothic character. But doesn't anyone remember the comic book which inspired the COLORFUL and HUMORISTIC series? That's right, this movie is actually an incredible powerhouse remake of the camp 50's series: Robin's circus clothes, the Riddler's green, etc. And the movie is a reformulation, a new deal, which faces the whole Batman concept in a whole new way. What has been done here was experimenting. A "what if" situation. "What if Batman lived in a colorful neon-filled city, with giant statues and colorful thugs in the alleys? What if his car and his boat and his plane were slicker, faster and more beautifully designed? What if Batman was younger, stronger and sexier? And what if the movie had humor?" One has to face the truth: there is nothing in the Batman series like its gift to inspire our awe. The film starts in a way that never stops. And I never saw villains like the ones depicted here. First and really important: they make a great chemistry, an essential fact which didn't work between Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. Second, they are GREAT actors. Third, they create characters with charisma which make us decide between loving them or hating them. All the set design ideas are 100% effective, 100% inspiring and 100% passionating. My favorite is the scene where Riddler's sign uses the Batsign as part of the question mark. This Gotham is a city where we actually wanna live in. There are enormous statues, car overpasses, artistic graffitis and neon lights. And this is the most spectacular thing in Batman Forever: its atmosphere. This could be a movie where the characters ignored their surroundings, but here helicopters fly through eye-wash signs, and the Batmobile climbs up a wall (what a spectacular shot). This is the shake the Batman movies always wanted to have. And this one rendered the action of the first two positively arthritic. We had two movies centered around a Gothic city, with dark settings all Tim Burton's own. This movie said "now let's try something completely different". And the fact that it is the highest grossing movie of 1995 isn't casual. It has a reason. Its novelty was the reason. Unfortunately, this would be also the last time Batman would reach such novelty. Batman & Robin proved the volatility of the concept.... or maybe the director... or maybe even the characters... fact is that Batman Forever is a very special movie. It combines amazing action sequences with dream-like surroundings (just check out that circus) and charismatic leads. It is without a doubt the best movie by Joel Schumacher and it is without a doubt one of the best movies of the Batman series.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big Movie Fan27 February 2002
I must admit that I was biased before I'd even seen this movie back in 1995. I was biased because I just didn't expect it to be any good due to the absence of Michael Keaton.

When I did watch it I thought it was okay. Val Kilmer did his best as Bruce Wayne although he just looked a bit too young to play a millionaire playboy-but he did do a good job.

Finally we saw the debut of Robin. I thought Robin's costume was cool-it was updated for the 1990's.

Once again the villains stole the show. Jim Carrey (a truly funny man) made a great Riddler and Tommy Lee Jones made a superb Two Face.

Nicole Kidman made a great love interest for Batman but I would have liked to see more interaction between them in the film.

Whilst I think the first two Batman films were the best, I have no problem in recommending this film to any Batman fan.
51 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Bat-Film in the Burton/Schumacher Series of Bat-Films!
griffolyon1220 May 2008
Batman Forever is easily one of the more enjoyable superhero movies ever produced in my opinion. It has a perfect balance of comedy, drama, action and adventure, and romance to satisfy pretty much any film enthusiasts. Even though this film had its quirks, especially from a Batman fan's point of view, this Bat-Film is just overall too much fun to let those itty bitty problems bother you.

Batman Forever is the continuing story of Bruce Wayne (in this film played by Val Kilmer) continuing his conquest of ridding Gotham City's criminal underworld of crime to avenge his parents as the mysterious hero, Batman. The film follows two of Batman's most notorious villains, Riddler and Two-Face (played by Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones, respectively), the two hatch a plot to steal mind waves from unsuspecting citizens of the world, and use the information from their minds to get access to deep, dark secrets and other high profile things like bank codes and such. Yes, their plan sounds kind of out there, but it really doesn't play too much into the overall story of the film, it is really just a reason for Batman to show up at the end and beat up the bad guys. The bulk of the story is about Batman having a romance with the beautiful Dr. Chase Meridian (played by Nicole Kidman), and his growing relationship with this young man from a Circus who saw his parents murdered in front of him, this man is named Dick Grayson (played by Chris O' Donnell).

This film is often considered by many Batman fans to of been the point where the Batman film franchise began to go down hill, and I must say I couldn't disagree more. This film is fairly true to the 1940s roots of the comics, where Batman wasn't an all out camp fest like he was in the 60s, but wasn't entirely at all realistic like it is now in the comics, allowing this film to have more fun. The creativeness of the city of Gotham in this film is amazing and spectacular, it is truly one of the finer interpretations of Gotham ever put on film. Another thing that is truly worth mention in this particular movie are the action sequences, each one scripted to perfection, this particular Batman film being really the only one that successfully portrayed Batman as a hero and not an anti-hero, which once again many hate that part of this one, but I personally don't mind it, it allows for much more entertaining escapism. The best part of this film though was Jim Carrey as the Riddler, his high octane performance never has a weak moment, and he keeps the laughs coming while still being a sick and twisted villain. The other cast members were really great as well, but Jim Carrey just really stole each scene he was in from the other actors.

Overall, this is easily the most crowd pleasing Batman film of them all, and it is a joy to watch from beginning to end. The only minor things that get on my nerves are the annoying Batnipples on the Batsuit in like the last twenty minutes of the film, but since it is only twenty minutes of them, I can take it.

I give Batman Forever a fun and entertaining 10 out of 10!
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A comic book film thats not afraid to BE a comic book film
LaPfieffer9214 August 2013
I am astonished looking at the reviews I'm reading here "reviewing" this movie. hm, more like bashing it. I've never seen a more pompous bunch of self righteous internet morons then the ones you see within the superhero fanboy community, Especially now in aftermath of the Chris Nolan "dark knight" movies (more like Dork knight). I have never seen a series of supposed "superhero" movie's take itself so damn seriously in my life. Did Nolan forget these movies are about a guy in a cape who dresses like a freaking BAT? I mean, yes we have to believe in it to some degree, but there's only so far you can go with trying to "legitimize" a comic book superhero. For crying out loud, he made the batmobile into a tank. A TANK! my Lord, that's the dumbest thing ever.

So, here we have Batman Forever, a favorite childhood film of mine that I must have watched a million times on video along with the other 2 batman films. Its a film that does NOT take itself ultra seriously, a visual feast for the eyes and senses. It can indulge in its over the top comic book origins and knows how to have fun with it. People saying batman has to always be dark and beating criminals up to a bloody pulp are ignorant and have not seen or read many comic books, as this film is purposely taking its cue from the 40's and 50's comics which has sillier humorous elements but still were taking itself seriously. This is the BLOCKBUSTER batman that was much needed after the pretty depressing if misunderstood Batman Returns. This was wild summer entertainment in that year of 1995, everything was so great. Jim Carrey was at the top of his game with the ace ventura films, the Mask, dumb and dumber and is a riot as the Riddler. Tommy Lee Jones is a clearly having a blast as two-face, Nicole kidman has never ever been sexier then she is here. Val Kilmer may not be as quirky cool as Michael Keaton, but he looks great in the suit and is very physical, and batman has 2 of them in this movie including the "sonar" suit. Robin is brought in, and done convincingly well, not a corny Burt Ward robin at all. Pity he went from tough vengeful crime fighter to corny goofball in the next one, but here he is as a modern robin should be, tough with a sense of humor and not at all a goofball so its you can take him seriously.

Gotham city is vibrant and lit up for the first time, which looks pretty spectacular. Batmans got a host of new rides including a more supped up batmobile with what I always thought was really neat blue lights through the ribbing, as well as a new batboat and batplane. The action scenes are incredible, things like the batmobile climbing up the wall, the bat boat and bat plane riding to claw island, batman and robin running into the bat signal. The iconic moments are there and it makes the film hugely enjoyable. unlike the recent overly serious drivel, this is a comic book film that's not at all afraid of being a comic book film. No attempt to be anything more the an amazing action adventure fantasy and it can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone. I watched this as a kid, loved it then, love it now. Saw the new ones and went what the hell did they do to my favorite superhero? Sad day.

The "complaints" that you read about all the time by the nerds are, well, stupid. Yes, stupid. They cry the usual same mantra they have for years, "batnipples!" and "neon!", when the fact is, who REALLY cares about these things when actually watching the film? Do these minor details really destroy the entire film for these unfortunate people? Well, despite the losers down rating this, the fact is the film was hugely successful back in the day and most people still seem to enjoy it, and why not? It a very easy film to watch and its not SO kiddy as to block off all adult watchers. Comic book movies trying to be as realistic and dumb as they have been, I look at it like what a waste. The Batman film's used to be fun, inventive, wild and imaginative, as evidenced in this film. They filled the kid's as well as the adults with a sense of awe and wonder. Now hes a bore, catering to a society that has lost all sense of creativity and imagination. I think they should have stopped at Batman & Robin, because they are not getting any better, only worse.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat, action-packed ride that is based on one of the best comics of all time!
Catherine_Grace_Zeh27 November 2006
Wow! This is really an excellent, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat action-packed ride that is based on one of the best comics of all time! That is the main thing that I can say about BATMAN FOREVER. When the security guard was tied up at the beginning, I got really squeamish. It's hard for me to tell you specifically why. When Batman (Val Kilmer) and Chase (Nicole Kidman) kissed, I got all warm and tingly inside. Now, in conclusion, I recommend this excellent, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat, action-packed ride that is based on one of the best comics of all time to all you Val Kilmer or Nicole Kidman fans who haven't seen it. When you see this movie, hold on tight and prepare to be taken on a wild ride. I guarantee you you'll be blown away.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Where is keaton and burton when you need them?
modius2 December 2000
I liked the first two batman movies, they were very, very dark, broodish and more in line to the actual dark comic book style. Burton is an amazing director and brought the best out of Keaton(when batman was out he became the coolest man around - and now he's not even given an eyelid!).

So what went wrong with this film. Was is Schumacher? Apparantly Keaton had doubts over wanting to do another Batman movie and after meeting Schumacher dropped out. It is amazing that such an actor can be put off a film such as this. But after seeing the film I can see why.

The film starts off pretty well, a helicopter crash into a statue of libery look-a-like - with Batman trapped inside, struggling to get outside before it crashed and blew up - it kinda took me back to old James Bond movies. The background song "Kiss from a Rose" provided by Seal is romantically well placed - but it isn't in the same OTT style as the film - unlike the U2 version.

The film lacks anything other than a flimsy plot of revenge. Batman (played by a boring, Val Kilmer) plays master to a vengeful Robin who wants revenge on a flat villan, Two-Face (underplayed by Tommy Lee Jones), who is working with the Riddler - played by an OTT Jim Carrey (I personally would have gone for Robin Williams, but I guess Williams is too old - he's probably fits "the Mad Hatter" rather than the Riddler).

I know Carrey was payed MegaBucks to carry this flimsy film, but this is no reason to make him the only star of this film. Why, when Carrey gets all the minds off tv-zombies, doesn't realize Batman's true identity sooner is beyond me.

Carrey's character is never explained properly, why is eccentric? OK - he never got praise for his work, but if you didn't get praise for your job you don't come crazy and wear green spandex overnight do you?

This film is pretty poor compared to the previous versions, Nicole Kidman although looking pretty - figures out Batman's true identity far too quickly. She's supposed to be head strong, but instead comes across as a dasmel in distress.

Overall I suggest you return to the old versions. And I would suggest avoiding the PAINFUL Clooney version: Batman and Robin.

Overall: 4/10
32 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this