IMDb > Balto (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Balto More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

This movie was great, and I cannot see how someone could not like it.

Author: fatalframer122 from United States
17 February 2005

It is only my opinion, but this was probably one of the best animated movies I have ever viewed. I cannot understand why someone could disagree against this movie. Character voicing was superb, full of life and very well constructed. Aniamtion was beautiful, with smooth backgrounds and even up to the little details such as footprints left behind in the snow. The music was probably the best part of all, with the excellent orchestral background, full of dramatic phrases during an intense part of the movie. It especially sounds great when you're supporting surround sound.

This movie was a great movie and people think it was one of the greatest letdowns in the 1990's. In my opinion, it was the greatest animated movie and I would recommend that you should watch it with your family or with a friend. It is a fantastic movie...

A great movie! One that will live in your memory forever!

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
3 May 2002

This is a great children's movie. But, being a kid's movie doesn't mean that it isn't good for others. This film entertains audiences of all ages. I first saw this movie when I was seven. And to this day, I still love it. Kevin Bacon supplies the voice of Balto, a half-bred wolf who risks his life to travel in the cold of Alaska to retrieve a sled of dogs that were lost while bringing antibiodics back to the town of Nome to stop an epidemic. BALTO is a film to see on a cold, Sunday when you have nothing better to do. You will enjoy this film greatly. After viewing it once, you will want to see it again. I lost track of how many times I have seen this film. But it has been more than thirty times. See this movie. It's well worth seeing. This one is one that I am proud to have in my video collection.....5/5.

Great Animation, Greatly Produced

Author: Balto-2 from US
2 January 1999

Where can I start? This movie is greatly animated, directed and written. There's no cheesy songs to slow it up or a boring storyline. Every angle that is shown is perfect, every background and colour scheme is great. The music by James Horner is well done and fits the moods of the film. Whether you're a kid or an adult, you will find yourself cheering Balto on.

A dramatic and well made film

Author: ( from Washington, USA
4 June 2000

This film has a seriousness and drama to it that will surprise you. There are no songs, and it has an adult feel to it, with mature themes and exciting action. The voice characters are its main failing, with Kevin Bacon giving rather flat performance to Balto, and there is an overall lack of conviction in most of the other voices as well. But this movie has good story and excellent pacing- there are several gripping action sequences, and very few childish moments. Balto is an excellent family film, and will keep adults and older kids enthralled and entertained. I think it's a little too serious for very young kids to enjoy, though. It has realism and is not light hearted. There are ideas about sickness, death and prejudice which are used very well to move this story along and help resolve it in the end. This is a hero story with a feel-good ending, and plenty of adventure along the way. The art and appearance is interesting and unique, mostly classic animation with a few computer assisted scenes-- the overall look is tidy and quality, with some charm and humor that will get you smiling. It has a live action entry and closure (including a view of the Balto statue in Central Park) which acts as a tie-together, and the true story behind this movie gives it additional appeal. This film, like the WB's 'Iron Giant', has been breezed over by the public and not gotten the recognition it deserves. I would recommend Balto for anyone who likes dogs, realism, or just a smooth, enjoyable film.

Excellent, overlooked animated film.

Author: La Gremlin from Boston, MA
29 June 2000

It's not hard to see why this movie wasn't particularly popular (check out the scene where the carpenter is shown sadly preparing small coffins), but that doesn't mean it isn't worth a look. It's actually one of the best underrated animated films of the 90's. The drama is real, the visuals are beautiful, and the story ends happily. The live action prologue and epilogue are a little distracting, but they're made up for by a random (and hilarious) visual shout-out to "E.T."

Awesome review for an awesome movie

Author: Dragondrawer88 from United States
25 August 2005

Balto has been a favorite movie of mine ever since it came out. This is the touching story of an out casted half dog half wolf named Balto voiced by the talented Kevin Bacon who's voice added a slight charm to the Balto character. The story takes place in Nome Alaska in the year 1925. A sickness as stricken the town's children and with out the antitoxin which is located hundreds of miles away in town of Nanana, the children will surly die. The dog team sent to retrieve the medicine which is led by Balto's almost arch nemesis Steel, is lost in a horrible snow storm. Now it is up to Balto to find the missing sled dog team and bring the medicine back to Nome before it is too late.

This movie is so gripping, I can never sit through the whole thing without balling my eyes out. This movie has a great plot which is based of a true story, a wonderful cast of voice actors, and a vary flowing animation style. This movie is so gripping and compelling that it as inspired me to become an cartoonist. I loved this movie so much that some how I found out I have three copies of it in my movie library. Surly this movie is worth seeing or owning if it makes a 17 year old shows tears for it, or sets the course for his career. Call me a geek but this movie is perfect for any one who likes talking animals, old school basic animation, and happy endings.

A warm hearted adventure

Author: Cylex from England
2 November 2002

Balto & his friends, Boris, Muk, Luk & Jenna are characters to capture the heart. Romance, humour & determination lead us on an epic adventure through the snow. The voicing is excellent and the soundtrack is too. Steele is a good villain. There are some impressive animated sequences especially with the wolves & the bear. An overlooked masterpiece. 10/10

Wonderful family movie

Author: Dontaskuwontlikeit from United States
25 October 2007

This movie evokes so much emotion in me, just thinking about it. This movie came out 1 day before my daughter was born. She still loves it to this day,

and now my 6 year old son enjoys it. He has watched it three times since i got it on DVD! This movie teaches a wonderful lesson. And is just a wonderful true movie!

If you can get this movie for your children. They will enjoy it for years to come, as will you!And i really don't need 10 lines to explain to you how good this movie is.

When you get the chance to watch it, that will be enough.

Very sweet movie

Author: Iulians2002 from Romania
30 June 2005

A excellent movie, it is up there with The Secret of NIMH. The animation also is amazing, and the characters really really nice. Also the voices are the best I heard in the animations movie I seen and they really characterize the personage. I couldn't not notice the sweet voice of Jenna and the looks. Very complex and very cute. Also the voice of Boris, one of a kind. The single voice that I remember being so sweet was of Ms. Brisby from the movie, The Secret of NIMH, again a movie with excellent animation and voices. I enjoyed it very much and most surely will watch it again. It just marvelous.

-"Its amazing, fantastic, uber, extraordinary, magnificent, marvelous" -"IT ROCKS!" *BAM* :)

A Movie Worth Seeing

Author: shorty_d from Guam
25 September 1998

Not many animated films from other major movie companies not of Disney are very good. Balto is one of these rare films. Very good voice acting from names like Kevin Bacon, Bridget Fonda, and Bob Hoskins. I enjoyed every minute of it. In fact, I liked James Horner's score so much I bought the soundtrack. There may be sometimes when the film doesn't follow the plot, but still it entertains. Roger Ebert gave it three stars. I must agree plenty.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]