IMDb > Bad Boys (1995) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Typically stylish cop flick that is better than the average - 76%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
25 October 2005

I don't know about you but there are two words that I associate with disastrously bad films. Two words that fill my soul with dread and my bowels with fear. And those two words are... "sports drama". Two OTHER words that carry similar feelings are "Martin Lawrence" so to find a film with him in that I like is something of a surprise. "Bad Boys" is as traditional an action-cop film as you can imagine, filled with hot action sequences, fast cars and beautiful women. And Martin Lawrence.

Lawrence is Det. Marcus Burnett, straight-laced family man and partner to Det. Mike Lowrey (Will Smith) who is Burnett's polar opposite. He's a fast-living ladies man with a passion for sports car and when $100 million dollars worth of heroin is stolen from the Miami PD, he and Burnett are put on the case. But in order to trace the drugs, they need to protect murder witness Julie Mott (Téa Leoni) from local hoodlums led by suave gangster Fouchet (Tchéky Karyo).

As you'd expect from a Bruckheimer & Simpson production, this follows a strict mantra of "style over substance" which makes "Bad Boys" feel like an update of another Miami-based cop show "Miami Vice". The suits are sharp, the action is loud and the cars look way beyond the economic means of cops. And despite the characters being way too familiar ("Lethal Weapon", anyone?), Smith and Lawrence bring humour and chemistry to their roles and lift the film beyond your expectations. In truth, this is the sort of film where you switch your brain off and just enjoy it and thanks to Smith and Lawrence, you can do just that. They spark off each other really well, seeing them in good stead for the almost inevitable sequel.

"Bad Boys" is not what you'd call a classic but it is an enjoyable movie that you can enjoy if it's on TV or a rental DVD. Sometimes, you just want to relax in front of something undemanding and while that may sound like criticism, it isn't. The male half of the species will enjoy this much more than their girlfriends (well, she didn't mind it...) but this sort of thing isn't likely to expand your mind that much. Get yourself some popcorn, slouch on the couch and watch the epitome of the blockbuster cop movie.

Michael Bay: The Next Big Thing

Author: Scott Carr (6sgc2@qlink.queensu.ca)
24 February 1999

I had no high hopes when I walked into this film. I like Will Smith, I like Martin Lawrence, so I figured this film will at least be funny. And it was funny, and then some. It was action packed, thrilling and a helluva good time. I came out of the theatre thinking that the guy who directed that movie is going to be huge.

Michael Bay, former music video and commercial director, has made an incredible directorial debut. The film never stops. When it isn't action-packed, it is funny. It is sexy, fun and always moving. Christian Wagner's editing is phenomenal. I love action movies that really try to be action movies. A lot of action films know that they are action films so they try to incorporate other genres to make the film more complete, but they often fail miserably. They try so hard to be something they are not that they forget what they are in the first place. The essence of the action film is the action. It is a necessary component, it needs to be there otherwise it loses its edge. "Bad Boys" doesn't just throw in the occassional action sequence to meet the expectations of the genre, but instead uses the action to help tell the story. It is this use of filmmaking that allows an action film to remain an action film and still go beyond.

Watch "Bad Boys" again and every time there is an action sequence, ask yourself why that was there and what did it accomplish. You will find that each sequence took the film to another level; it introduced an new conflict, it increased the present conflict, it eliminated a key character, it introduced a new character, and so on. There are a lot of action films out there that sacrifice story for spectacle, and the audience notices this. At the centre of all films lies the story and if it comes to a halt so does the interest of the viewers.

"Bad Boys" of course isn't the greatest story on film, or even in the action genre, but what is so appealing and memorable about "Bad Boys" is that it is just as entertaining with its story as it is with its action by combining the two without sacrificing either. Michael Bay understands the importance of the story within the structure of the film. He tells a visual story, entertaining and complete, and leaves you very satisfied. Watch for Michael Bay because he is here to stay.

Pretty entertaining buddy comedy

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
25 July 2004

The 'buddy comedy' genre is fairly well-known, there have been plenty of them, all of them primarily based on the basic idea of having two main characters who are, well, buddies; they act like friends to each other, they get in fights, they help each other out, they compliment each other. It's a fairly easy genre to master, and an easy way to make a good movie. This is one of the best examples, since Smith and Lawrence really do compliment each other so well; Smith's the sleek, cool one who is popular with the ladies, while Lawrence is often nervous, and pretty much a direct opposite of Smith. They have pretty good on-screen chemistry, too; you believe that these are good friends and partners. My only real problem with the film is the way the comedy almost all is generated by stereotypes, and, worse, the age-old complications that arise from certain situations. I think that's a little unoriginal, but, hey, that's the only complaint about it, and the film does have some very entertaining comedy parts. The plot is pretty good, it keeps the film going and supplies every single scene with comedy, action, or both. It takes off immediately, and keeps a good pace throughout the 2 hour duration. The acting is all pretty good. The characters are well-written, well, for stereotypes at least(because, lets face it; they are). The comedy is well-done and often made me laugh out loud, and, believe me, I am not, in any way, shape or form, a Will Smith fan. The action was well-done too, intense and exciting. The film, all in all, was pretty good, very entertaining. For a buddy comedy, it's good. For an action comedy, it's good too. I recommend it to all fans of action comedies, and buddy comedies. 7/10

Bad Boys, Good Film.

Author: tfrizzell from United States
6 July 2002

Detectives Will Smith and Martin Lawrence have three days to find $100 million worth of heroin from a crazed drug-dealer in Miami in this fast-paced and comedy/action thriller. The witness to a murder (Tea Leoni) of one of Smith's best friends is also along for the frantic ride that is fun, clever and highly entertaining. Watch for then-NBA star John Salley in a great cameo as an imprisoned computer hacker. A rare winner from a sometimes trivial cinematic genre. 4 stars out of 5.

Although Full of Clichés, An Excellent Action Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
16 November 2004

The honest and efficient Detective Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) is a married cop with three children, having difficulties for the payment of his mortgage and for having sex with his wife. His partner is the also honest, efficient and wealthy Detective Mike Lowrey (Will Smith), who inherits a large amount from his family and although living like a playboy, has not resigned to his position in the police department. After a daring robbery of heroin from the police department stores, the two detectives try to find some clue about the gang. The chance appears with the hooker Julie Mott (Téa Leoni), the witness of the murder of a 'working girl' friend of her. The detectives are assigned to protect her and chase the killers. Although full of clichés, 'Bad Boys' is an excellent action movie, in the same line of 'Lethal Weapon'. There are lots of funny parts, Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are excellent as the two partners with different behaviors and Téa Leoni is gorgeous. I saw this movie a couple of years ago, when Will Smith was an unknown actor, and now I saw it again on DVD, with the intention of watching 'Bad Boys II'. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): 'Os Bad Boys' ('The Bad Boys')

Finally, a successful marriage of comedy and action/thriller

Author: David Downing (David.H.Downing@comcast.net) from Paoli, PA
12 August 2002

This high-action crime drama stands out for me because it succeeds at doing what other movies* have tried and, in my opinion, failed to do -- integrate genuinely funny comedy into the mix. The success is attributable partly to the comedic talents of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence -- who have the ability to deliver crude, rude dialog such that it's funny nevertheless -- and partly to a story that combines suspense and humor into a believable whole.

Our two heroes are police detectives Mike Lowry (Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Lawrence), who are a kind of tough-cop variation on The Odd Couple . Lowry is suave, slick, self-controlled, well-to-do, heroic, and a real ladies man. Burnett, on the other hand, is an ordinary guy who manages to stumble reasonably effectively, if somewhat ineptly, through his work and his married life.

So imagine what happens when Burnett has to convince a key witness, Julie (Téa Leoni) that he's Mike Lowry -- not just for a few hours, but for a few days. Furthermore, this is no pre-planned, well-orchestrated masquerade. A large stash of confiscated heroin has been un-confiscated right from police headquarters, and both the heroin and the perpetrator must be found within four days, or Internal Affairs is going to take some big-time disciplinary action. Lowry and Burnett are called in because they were the ones who captured the heroin in the first place, and because of the one trait they share -- a renegade approach to police work, which may not have their boss's approval, but which does get the job done (and at one point, causes a store owner to think they're out to rob him). The various twists and turns of the investigation lead to Lowry getting knocked out of commission at the same time that Julie witnesses a murder and refuses to deal with anybody but Mike Lowry. But Marcus Burnett is the only one available to deal with her, and since waiting for Lowry to recover isn't an option …

Subsequent events include Lowry's bachelor pad being invaded by Julie and her dogs, while Lowry stays with Burnett's wife, Burnett trying to keep his wife from finding out what's really going on, and Burnett and Lowry trying to find the heroin and keep Julie alive.

For all you action movie fans, plenty of cars, plenty of buildings, and plenty of people get blown up along the way. (Looking over this review, I see that I've belied the high level of violence, which I definitely should warn you against.)

BAD BOYS kept me both amused and on the edge of my seat throughout. I'm afraid I did have two small complaints, however. First, I wish the resolution of the Burnett-pretending-to-be-Lowry story had been timed to coincide with the resolution of the main plot.

As it is, the comic subplot ends, leaving the rest of the movie to proceed in a rather formulaic and pedantic fashion. Second, I wish more time had been spent on Lowry's problem of stepping into Burnett's shoes. The swinging bachelor having to play family man would have been good for a few laughs that we never got.

Aside from that, however, this is an action movie that stands out among the rest.

One final note concerning the DVD "Special Edition" release. BAD BOYS was a movie in which the music was particularly effective, and the DVD actually lets you listen to the music track by itself. I wish DVDs of other movies with great music had this option.

* Three examples that come to mind are 48 HOURS, KINDERGARTEN COP, and another Michael Bay film, ARMAGEDDON. 48 HOURS was grim enough to seriously stifle the humor, even with Eddie Murphy in the lead role. KINDERGARTEN COP made me laugh, but the crime drama felt like an unwelcome intrusion. In ARMAGEDDON, I felt the stakes were high enough that humor didn't seem appropriate.

The Bay of bud.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
31 July 2009

Michael Bay - just the man's name is enough to set some cinephile's teeth on edge and to have people spouting such phrases as "downfall of Hollywood", "all that is wrong with modern mainstream cinema" and even "the lord of darkness". Not me though. I happen to enjoy most of his movies on a basic, visceral, testosterone-fuelled level and this one, his first full-length actual movie, remains a mindless pleasure.

Let's face it, it takes some doing to make Martin Lawrence actually funny (I think it's been managed with this film, it's sequel and, arguably, Wild Hogs so far) but Bay manages to do it through some bizarre form of osmosis by placing him alongside the fantastic Will Smith. Smith (in the role that really started his transformation into the leading man moneymaker he would become) and Lawrence play two detectives who may bend the rules now and again but always get the job done. They ARE the bad boys, but in a charmingly cheeky way. Lawrence is a happily-married guy while Smith is the very epitome of a single ladies-man so some confusion arises when they have to swap identities in order for Lawrence to bring in a material witness (played by Tea Leoni) to a shooting that has been linked to a large drugs robbery. Hijinks ensue along with some frenetic action sequences.

It's all really rather good but nothing spectacular, with the film coasting along through some of the duller patches thanks to the chemistry between Smith and Lawrence (and, enjoyably aggrieved in the aggrieved captain role, Joe Pantoliano). Leoni isn't as irritating as she can be in the damsel in distress role and Tcheky Karyo gives us an enjoyably urbane bad guy.

The action, as to be expected from Bay, is good stuff with plenty of bullets flying and explosive material just waiting to be lit up. It's also worth mentioning that while it's, ummmmm, a little choppy in places here there is nothing quite as bad as that eye-hurting car chase in The Rock and no overuse of Bay's standard tricks while he gets used to his commanding role.

Sit back, crack open a cold one and enjoy.

See this if you like: Lethal Weapon, Running Scared, The Rock.

A funny, thoroughly entertaining action comedy

Author: LG72387 from Riverside, Connecticut
7 August 2003

Bad Boys is a great action comedy from producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer. It features Will Smith (in his breakout performance) and Martin Lawrence, an unlikely pair who quite simply are the best movie duo I've seen since Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in Rush Hour. The film features incredible action sequences (i.e. the Ether truck chase scene featuring massive explosions and pervasive gun fights) which all lead up to the film's action-packed climax which could only be done in a Jerry Bruckheimer film. The film also stars Tea Leoni (who is pretty good in playing the damsel in distress), Joe Pantoliano (whom we all know as Ralphie on The Sopranos, as a police captain) and Tcheky Karyo as the villain. (He was also the French officer opposite Mel Gibson in 2000's The Patriot) The movie features comedic one-liners from Smith and Lawrence as well as a few by Leoni. It also features a few sex jokes and just plain "disses". However, the characters are so underdeveloped that all we are left with is action and comedy. This formula is also seen in the recent summer blockbuster Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, in which we could care less about the characters and just look for the action. However, Simpson and Bruckheimer's Bad Boys succeeds where T3 does not. By the end of the movie, we care about the heroes because they are fun to watch. In T3, the great Ah-nuld is just a figurehead for a movie romped with action-packed sequences and jaw-dropping stunts. This is one of only three good Michael Bay films (right next to Pearl Harbor and The Rock) and should seen by any action movie fan.

Lenny's Grade: B

The last great buddy cop action movie!

Author: hnt_dnl from United States
6 July 2008

I'm pretty sure that BAD BOYS is the only film of Michael Bay's that I like. Well, technically, while it is the only Bay flick that I like, I can also say that I LOVE it, too! I know that it's supposedly a mindless action buddy cop flick, but it is hugely entertaining and extremely well done. THIS is the type of movie where all of the Bay trademarks work: the driving musical score, the quick jump cuts between and within scenes, funny dialogue (which actually is funny in this film!), strong leads, some seriously sexy females, and characters that sweat all the time (and there's a reason for it here: there in Miami!).

Actually, the jump cuts are a big part of why BAD BOYS works. They move the story along nicely and are perfectly placed during the film. Also, Bay does a great job with the camera angles, accentuating the scenes. You don't have time to think or analyze the action, just enjoy. The movie moves at a speedy pace, but not too speedy. And the scenes where the film slows down are all very well done. A really solid action film.

The main reason to love BAD BOYS is the ideal pairing of Martin Lawrence and Will Smith as Detectives Marcus Burnett and Mike Lowry, two of Miami's finest undercover narcotics cops. Lawrence is especially impressive as Marcus Burnett with his hilarious stand-up routine being a part of his character, but that's a good thing. He's a laugh riot throughout. But his stand-up act is actually toned down, believe it or not, perfectly to satisfy the constraints of a film; they could easily have screwed up his character, but Lawrence is extremely likable and funny, without being too over-the-top. Smith is very good also as Mike Lowry. He is so comfortable in this role that you could foresee a star in the making based on his performance here. Both actors give really solid performances and do a great job of carrying this film. I find Smith (just slightly) more believable as a cop than Lawrence, but still I go with it b/c the 2 have such great chemistry.

The story is moot: some bad guys confiscated drugs from the police station. The cops have to catch the bad guys and get the drugs back. That's the plot! Main reason to enjoy is the humor, fast pace, and chemistry of the leads. Typical cop buddy stuff. Been done before and to death, but it still works in this film. We've seen it in LETHAL WEAPON, 48 HRS, STAKEOUT, etc. In fact, this may be the LAST really good film of its kind.

Also of note are sexy Tea Leoni as an important witness the guys need to help catch the bad guys (she and Smith should have gotten together in the end!), Joe Pantoliano as the basic-always-in-a-foul-mood-yelling-cops-boss, Tcheky Karyo as the big bad guy himself, and a host of great supporting characters, most notably Sanchez and Ruiz (the funny sidekicks to the 2 main cops), Mike's doorman Chet (who almost steals the film!), and JoJo (Michael Imperioli of SOPRANOs fame).

The film also has working in its favor great cinematography showcasing the sights of Miami, catchy 90s music, and a memorable score, all driving the story along. Bay can hang his hat on this one! It's a keeper!

The Best Buddy - Cop Film....

Author: jmcgee321 from United States
19 March 2005

This is the best Buddy - Cop Film to me, although only two it seems to have a variety of different moods like others sequels. The second one Is the LETHAL WEAPON Series and the RUSH HOUR Films come in at a good third.

Mike Lowrey(Will Smith) and Marcus Burnett(Martin Lawrence) are your average buddy cops, you know one's married and the other is a player, but one thing they have in common is their bad altitudes for solving cases and a lot of body bags. When one million dollars in heroin has been stolen by a evil Frenchman named Noah(Tcheky Karyo)in their prescient, a close friend of Mike dies and the only witness is named Julie(Tea Leoni). The boys get set to handle this case with some very violent and hilarious outcomes.

Now this movie has one of the best introduction to the main roles ever. The action scenes are greatly handled and never blown out of proportion. The acting is top notch and Martin and Will have what I think is their best roles to date. Michael Bay may have also delivered he's best film, next to CON AIR. Now part II is also great, not better, but funnier.

Page 1 of 21:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]