1-20 of 39 items from 2017 « Prev | Next »
On May 23, Michael Bay will have his hands and feet encased in cement outside the iconic Tcl Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, alongside classic stars from Marilyn Monroe to Meryl Streep. While Bay is thrilled, he does have one hesitation. “I just remember as a kid, going to see the handprints and I always thought the people who got this honor were so much older,” he says with a laugh.”
For the record, Bay is a youthful 52, but it’s a credit to his career that his accomplishments over the past 20 years have put him in the ranks of his mentors Steven Spielberg and super producer Jerry Bruckheimer, both of whose imprints are also in the Chinese forecourt. And it’s full circle for Bay, a native Angeleno who discovered he wanted to be a director at that very theater.
At age 15, Bay was working at Lucasfilm, filing storyboards for “Raiders of the Lost Ark. »
- Jenelle Riley
The Cannes Film Festival has never had a juror quite like Will Smith, who strode into the Palais to roars of applause that brought to mind the premiere of one of his action movies (think “Mib in Paris”).
The star of such popcorn hits as “Independence Day,” “Bad Boys,” and “Suicide Squad” had the crowd of journalists so captivated at a Wednesday afternoon press conference, he didn’t leave much speaking time for his fellow jurors — like Jessica Chastain or a totally silent Paolo Sorrentino. Even the Cannes jury president, director Pedro Almodovar, had to succumb to the Will Smith show, admitting he’d always wanted to work with the movie star.
“When I first got the call, I was really excited,” Smith said, recounting the back-and-forth between him and his publicist with dramatic flair. “I was probably 14 years old the last time I watched three movies in one day. »
- Ramin Setoodeh
The director’s cut of John Travolta dance drama Saturday Night Fever, which will celebrate its 40th anniversary this year with a Us re-release, is slated for a Cinéma de la Plage on Saturday 20th May.
The cut will include three scenes not in the original release.
The trio are among the Classics lineup restored by distributor Park Circus, which has also »
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Andreas Wiseman)
When he’s not being a renowned cinephile who’ll spend most of May on the Cannes jury debating the merits of the new Andrey Zvyagintsev with Alain Resnais’ muse Agnès Jaoui, Will Smith is also a movie star. But the man who was once the unquestionable box-office king of Hollywood has had an atypically rough patch lately.
“Suicide Squad” was a rare bright spot last year — indeed, his second-biggest-grossing movie worldwide after “Independence Day.” But it was also an ensemble superhero movie that got lousy reviews, so it doesn’t entirely recover the star’s luster, especially with a string of flops — “After Earth,” “Focus,” “Concussion,” “Collateral Beauty” — and with his go-to franchises of “Men In Black” and “Bad Boys” either rebooting away from him, or floundering in development hell.
- Oliver Lyttelton
Will Smith could be reuniting with his Bad Boys super-producer Jerry Bruckheimer for Gemini Man, a new film that “centers on an aging assassin who tried to get out of the business but finds himself in the ultimate battle: fighting his own clone who is 25 years younger than him and at the peak of his abilities.”
The Hollywood Reporter report the news of Smith’s potential casting in the film, which is being directed by Ang Lee (Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Brokeback Mountain, Life Of Pi). The film has had many writers working on its screenplay over the years since its conception in 1997, including David Benioff, Brian Helgeland, Joe Carnahan and Andrew Niccol.
Smith is yet to officially sign on the dotted like, and is also looking at another opportunity – playing the role of the Genie in Disney’s live-action remake of Aladdin. »
- Paul Heath
Will Smith is in negotiations to star in Skydance Media’s Gemini Man sci-fi actioner “Gemini Man,” which Ang Lee is also in negotiations to direct. The project, which is being produced by Smith’s “Bad Boys” and “Enemy of the State” super-producer… Continue Reading → »
Pete Donaldson on love and Mass Effect…
So Mass Effect: Andromeda hit shelves last month with varying degrees of acoustic clunkery, depending on how many different versions of the thing EA have seen fit to release this time round (I haven’t bothered checking).
Maybe you went for the Steelbook edition with limited edition poster? Or perhaps you spent your hard-earned shekels on the deluxe edition with that adorable remote control car, or even the platinum ‘super-collector’s edition’ with that tasteful brass plinth engraved with Bioware head Matthew Bromberg’s almost faultless 4.95 Uber rating?
Once the almighty hoo-ha died down over the characters experiencing apparent complete facial-muscle idiopathy, and those sordid few who saw fit to ruin a poor animator’s life crawled back into their sewage pipes, journalists filed the usual thinkpieces about how great it is that love and relationships are back at the core of our gaming. »
Everyone knows Keanu Reeves starred in “The Matrix.” What this video presupposes is…maybe he didn’t? YouTube user The Unusual Suspect has reimagined the Wachowskis’ science-fiction blockbuster with Will Smith in the lead role of Neo, as the part was originally offered to the “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and “Bad Boys” star. Watch below and try not to say “whoa.”
Read More: ‘The Matrix’: Why Relaunching the Franchise Without the Wachowskis Is A Terrible, Terrible Idea
Featuring clips from the original film with shots of Smith woven in, the video acts as a trailer of sorts for this alternate-history (or -future?) version of “The Matrix.” Scenes from such films as “Men in Black” and especially “I, Robot” are used to create the illusion, often quite seamlessly; it helps that “I, Robot” is another sci-fi/action hybrid that calls on Smith to fire weapons and appear as though »
- Michael Nordine
Director Michael Bay has been making feature films for 22 years now. He made his directorial debut with Bad Boys in 1995, and since then he’s given us spectacle after spectacle featuring explosions, super models, sweeping cameras and more. For the past decade, he’s been predominantly busy with the Transformers franchise, but this summer appears […]
- Ethan Anderton
Tea Leoni has signed with Wme, The Hollywood Reporter has exclusively learned. She was previously with UTA.
On the big screen, Leoni’s credits include Bad Boys, Deep Impact, The Family Man, Jurassic Park III, Spanglish, Fun With Dick and Jane and Ghost Town. The actress has been a Unicef ambassador since 2001 and served on the national board for its U.S. Fund since 2006.
Leoni continues »
- Rebecca Sun
Martin Lawrence is tying the knot, and the engagement ring he picked out for his bride-to-be is no joke.
The Bad Boys star’s girlfriend Roberta Moradfar confirmed the news on Instagram Monday, posting an adorable photo collage featuring her stunning new rock.
“And I said ‘Yes!’” wrote the aesthetics nurse practitioner, adding that Monday “marks a huge milestone in my life.” She ended the post with hashtags including #LoveofMyLife and #M❤️R. The couple’s initials are also etched into the bottom of her engagement ring.
The ring was custom-made by Iconic Jewels, which donates a portion of each »
- Mike Miller
Chips represents something of a burning passion project for Dax Shepard, who initially approached WB with a pitch that took the core concept of the ’70s TV show and slapped on a new lick of paint. The end result is a wildly over-the-top, laugh-out-loud funny, buddy cop movie in the vein of Lethal Weapon or Michael Bay’s Bad Boys, one in which Shepard is joined by Ant-Man‘s Michael Peña.
Together, they form the fiercest duo on the California Highway Patrol, one which spends their days catching criminals – or at the very least, trying to – and generally frolicking around on America’s sun-kissed West Coast. Rounding out the cast list for the hilarious, R-rated romp are Kristen Bell (Dax Shepard’s significant other), Rosa Salazar, Adam Brody, Jessica McNamee, Vida Guerra, Rene Moran and Kelly Richardson.
Recently, at the film’s press day in Los Angeles, we had the »
- Kit Bowen
Last month, reports surfaced that Will Smith had dropped out of contention to star in Disney's live-action Dumbo remake, with the actor reportedly failing to come to terms with the studio on his salary, while scheduling complications also arose with Bad Boys III. Today we have word that Disney has set its sights on a new leading man, with Colin Farrell in negotiations to join the cast, which currently includes Eva Green and Danny DeVito. Disney is reportedly getting close to a production start date with Dumbo, but an exact filming date has not been given quite yet.
Deadline reports that Colin Farrell will play a widowed father of two named Holt, who hails from Kentucky. Eva Green joined the cast earlier this month, portraying a French trapeze artist named Colette, who works for the big top circus leader named Vandermere, who has yet to be cast. This role marks »
Bad Boys 3: The third installment in the Bad Boys franchise now needs a director. Joe Carnahan (The A-Team) was slated to pick up where Michael Bay left off but decided to exit the project, either due to scheduling conflicts or creative differences. Carnahan also wrote the most recent version of the script and the report suggests that a new writer may be hired as well. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence (above in Bad Boys 2) are still expected to reprise their roles. [THR] Bad Times at the El Royale: Drew Goddard (above), who earned an Academy Award nomination for adapting The Martian, will direct Bad Times at the El Royale, based on his own original script. The premise for the movie has not been revealed. Goddard made his directorial debut with The Cabin in the Woods...
- Peter Martin
Thor-Mendous New Haircut!
Entertainment Weekly dropped the cover for their latest issue yesterday, which gave us our first look at Thor: Ragnarok – which includes Thor’s new haircut! Also featured in the images are Cate Blanchett’s Hela, Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie, Tom Hiddleston’s Loki, Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner, and Jeff Goldblum’s The Grandmaster. You can check out the cover here, and the other images here.
Star Wars: The Last (New) Footage?
It’s been revealed that top secret footage of Star Wars: The Force Awakens was screened for Disney investors yesterday. Going by the tweets of those in attendance, it seems as though it was a trailer of sorts which revealed Luke Skywalker’s first words, as well as shots of Leia and Chewie. No Leia dialogue, by all accounts. You can read a breakdown of what was shown here.
One Billion, Bub »
- Luke Owen
Bad Boys 3: The third installment in the Bad Boys franchise needs a director. Joe Carnahan (The A-Team) was slated to pick up where Michael Bay left off but decided to exit the project, either due to scheduling conflicts or creative differences. Carnahan also wrote the most recent version of the script and the report suggests that a new writer may be hired as well. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence (above in Bad Boys 2) are still expected to reprise their roles. [THR] Bad...
Read Comments »
It appears that the dream of a Joe Carnahan-directed Bad Boys movie has gone the way of all Joe Carnahan projects. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the writer-director has dropped out of helming Bad Boys For Life, possibly for the same reason why Carnahan usually drops out of projects: “creative differences.” The studio is still hoping to start filming the long-delayed sequel to Michael Bay’s dumbest movie in the fall to meet a November 8, 2018 release date.
Over the years, Carnahan has developed an enviable portfolio of unrealized projects, including a revisionist remake of Death Wish (he doesn’t have kind words for Eli Roth’s more straightforward version), an adaptation of James Ellroy’s White Jazz, and a film based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s comics series Preacher, since made into an AMC series. His last theatrical release was 2011’s The Grey—a great ...
- Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
Bad Boys 3 just can't seem to catch a break. The movie has been trying to get off the ground for years, and every time it seems like the movie gains some momentum, something pushes against it. This time, it's a pretty significant setback as director Joe Carnahan has left the project. And what's worse is that the reasons he left appear to be a little murky, which could signal a little bit more deep-rooted trouble for the movie.
The Hollywood Reporter broke the news that Bad Boys 3, officially titled Bad Boys for Life, has lost Joe Carnahan, but it is the potential reason that is the biggest cause for concern. According to their report, one of their sources say that the director left because of scheduling conflicts, which wouldn't be that big of a deal. But several other sources claim that Joe Carnahan left over the ever vague »
It was revealed last month that Bad Boys 3 – titled Bad Boys For Life – hit a snag in the road when it was taken off the production schedule and pushed back to November 2018. Although the date had been pushed back, it’s now been reported that its director has left the project entirely.
The story comes from The Hollywood Reporter, who have sources who told them Joe Carnahan has either left the film over scheduling conflicts or the dreaded “creative differences”. Carnahan is a very busy man at the moment, developing an American remake of The Raid as well as joining X-Force and writing the Uncharted movie adaptation, and Bad Boys For Life star Will Smith has been linked to Disney’s Dumbo remake. But could it be creative differences?
When we spoke to Carnahan last year, the writer/director notes that Smith and co-star Martin Lawrence were reviewing the »
- Luke Owen
Sony had no comment on the exit. The studio has three possible director candidates for the Will Smith-Martin Lawrence comedy, which was titled “Bad Boys for Life” in August and pushed back to a Nov. 8, 2018 release date. Carnahan had written the most recent draft of the script.
The movie would reteam Smith and Lawrence as the freewheeling Miami narcotics detectives who starred in the first two movies in 1995 and 2003, both directed by Michael Bay. Jerry Bruckheimer is returning as producer with plot details currently under wraps.
Carnahan is developing an English-language remake of Indonesian action movie “The Raid.”
The first film, which was also produced by the late Don Simpson with Bruckheimer, grossed more than $140 million worldwide and made Smith into a star. “Bad Boys II” grossed more than $270 million worldwide. »
- Dave McNary
1-20 of 39 items from 2017 « Prev | Next »
IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.See our NewsDesk partners